BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

03-03-2021, 08:28 PM   #1
bmwfst1
Pwrdbym
United_States
Rep
Drives: red 2010 bmwm3

Fortune auto

Does anyone have experience with fortune auto coilovers. They are located in VA. There 510 series 24 step simultaneous rebound and compression adjustment. Also upgradeable to 2 or 3 way canister.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 08:44 AM   #2
slowdown_dan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93

I don't, and I haven't heard anything good or bad. Just know that they exist. For the same money you can grab one of the few lightly used Ohlins RT kits on here. They are a known variable. If you're looking at this for track use, throw on some stiffer linear springs and camber plates and you're good to go. In fact I think Move Over basically has this already set up for you if they haven't sold yet.
Appreciate 1
Move Over1256.50
      03-04-2021, 09:37 AM   #3
Shiza
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3, X5, Ram 2500, Wrangler

I've only heard good things about Fortune Auto, but I would still recommend Ohlins R&T as mentioned above. I've had a few different suspension setups and the R&T's are by far my favorite.
Appreciate 1
Move Over1256.50
      03-04-2021, 09:43 AM   #4
Move Over
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by butte2butte View Post
I don't, and I haven't heard anything good or bad. Just know that they exist. For the same money you can grab one of the few lightly used Ohlins RT kits on here. They are a known variable. If you're looking at this for track use, throw on some stiffer linear springs and camber plates and you're good to go. In fact I think Move Over basically has this already set up for you if they haven't sold yet.
Thanks but they're on their way out the door today to DerekCai

As far as fortune auto goes, any company who is sold on "fitment industries" is a no go for me. Jk jk.

I'm probably a bit biased towards MCS due to their support, it's worth a premium. There are some really quality proven brands out there, that I'm not sure I would mess one of the newer brands. Fortune does look much better than say a BC, but I Cant say I know much about them.
      03-04-2021, 04:11 PM   #5
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

You can get a ST coilover (made by KW in Germany) for about the same price. Way better. Not to mention H&R Street coilovers and other companies at the same price point.

I just replaced my KW V3 which had 10 years of driving with another set of the same. They were still very good after 10 years!
      03-04-2021, 07:51 PM   #6
bmwfst1
Pwrdbym
United_States
Rep
Drives: red 2010 bmwm3

Thanks for comments
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 10:26 AM   #7
Throatpunch
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

My friend was sponsored by fortune auto but also ran on ohlins when not sponsored. He did very well with the FA’s but it wasnt a street car
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 11:34 AM   #8
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former e92 M3 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
You can get a ST coilover (made by KW in Germany) for about the same price. Way better. Not to mention H&R Street coilovers and other companies at the same price point.

I just replaced my KW V3 which had 10 years of driving with another set of the same. They were still very good after 10 years!
Why replace? You probably could have had them sent off to KW and rebuilt

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 02:49 PM   #9
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelse92 View Post
Why replace? You probably could have had them sent off to KW and rebuilt
I don't know if you've contacted KW regarding rebuilds recently.

I called them and they said it will take about 3-6 months for a rebuild because of the current situation. My car gets driven weekly and I can't have it on jackstands for 1/2 a year while I wait for a rebuild.

I had purchased the coilovers from a shop which went out of business... they apparently got the coilovers for themselves as a KW sponsored shop car build. They sold it to me rather than use it - it was kinda shady. I didn't know any of this. In KW's records I am not the original purchaser. I'd have to pay for the rebuild - not covered by warranty.

I ordered a new set of KW V3 and that took 4 months to get from Germany. - way slower than I expected. I was calling and emailing every month to ask about status. Swap out the old ones, resell them and I'm good to go - no downtime.

Last edited by Z K; 03-16-2021 at 02:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 08:40 AM   #10
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former e92 M3 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
I don't know if you've contacted KW regarding rebuilds recently.

I called them and they said it will take about 3-6 months for a rebuild because of the current situation. My car gets driven weekly and I can't have it on jackstands for 1/2 a year while I wait for a rebuild.

I had purchased the coilovers from a shop which went out of business... they apparently got the coilovers for themselves as a KW sponsored shop car build. They sold it to me rather than use it - it was kinda shady. I didn't know any of this. In KW's records I am not the original purchaser. I'd have to pay for the rebuild - not covered by warranty.

I ordered a new set of KW V3 and that took 4 months to get from Germany. - way slower than I expected. I was calling and emailing every month to ask about status. Swap out the old ones, resell them and I'm good to go - no downtime.
3-6 Months? Myself and another member here did ours in Nov/Jan and neither of us had that long a wait time.
They quoted me 6 weeks but once they got them they had them done and back out to me in a week. You are in Cali and so is their US facility so shipping should be quick for you too.
I bought my KW's used and also paid out of pocket for the rebuild it was only around $700+ shipping
I think it's still a better deal than buying a cheap coilover. If you're worried about it taking a long time could just put stock shocks back on temporarily...

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 05:59 PM   #11
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelse92 View Post
3-6 Months? Myself and another member here did ours in Nov/Jan and neither of us had that long a wait time.
They quoted me 6 weeks but once they got them they had them done and back out to me in a week. You are in Cali and so is their US facility so shipping should be quick for you too.
I bought my KW's used and also paid out of pocket for the rebuild it was only around $700+ shipping
I think it's still a better deal than buying a cheap coilover. If you're worried about it taking a long time could just put stock shocks back on temporarily...
They said 3-6 months when I called on the phone.

I thought new coilovers would be fast to get so I ordered them. When they got pushed out to 4 months - I was pretty disappointed.

My cost was $2700 for the KW and I sold the old set for $1200 so $1500. Also, I only have to pay for install one time vs twice at the shop. To take off coilovers, put on stock suspension, do an alignment and re-install coilovers, re-do alignment etc. that cost would be worth more than the cost of the coilovers themselves. Auto shop labor costs are $200 an hour here in California... its not cheap.

Last edited by Z K; 03-19-2021 at 06:07 PM..
Appreciate 0