BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

09-12-2017, 03:43 PM   #1
bb_00
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Increase Emission - P1411

I've been getting the Increase Emission CEL warning recently, especially after leaving the car untouched for the whole night and it cooled down.

I used DashCommand and found out that the code is P1411.

I was told that it is the secondary pump. The one that is being used for the cold start.

Does this code means that the secondary pump failing or the sensor of the pump or are they the same as one?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 02:16 PM   #2
Kwike92M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 Supercharged

27AF - P1411
Information saved in DME
Fault code 27AF - P1411
Fault text Secondary-air pump
Fault description Secondary Air Pump No Activity Detected

That code is stating that when commanded, the Secondary Air Pump is not activating. The secondary air pump will activate during cold starts to cycle air into the catalytic converters and heat them up quicker for better emissions. This will not affect the way the vehicle runs or drives, but will continue to throw diagnostic trouble codes and check engine lights until the issue is resolved.

If the code is for no activity, I would assume the pump/motor is bad, or there is an electrical fault of some sort. I doubt it has to do with the check valves or tubing/hoses. You will need a shop that has the ability to test/activate the secondary air pump with a scan tool to confirm its function or lack thereof.

ORRR you can order a secondary air pump, toss it on, and pray to the BMW gods that it fixes your issue the first time. But be warned, the BMW gods can be fickle bitches as we all know.

The secondary air pump is relatively easy to access after the intake is removed from the vehicle. The intake is very simple to remove, as long as you have the proper hand tools.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2017, 09:38 PM   #3
bb_00
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwike92Msport View Post
27AF - P1411
Information saved in DME
Fault code 27AF - P1411
Fault text Secondary-air pump
Fault description Secondary Air Pump No Activity Detected

That code is stating that when commanded, the Secondary Air Pump is not activating. The secondary air pump will activate during cold starts to cycle air into the catalytic converters and heat them up quicker for better emissions. This will not affect the way the vehicle runs or drives, but will continue to throw diagnostic trouble codes and check engine lights until the issue is resolved.

If the code is for no activity, I would assume the pump/motor is bad, or there is an electrical fault of some sort. I doubt it has to do with the check valves or tubing/hoses. You will need a shop that has the ability to test/activate the secondary air pump with a scan tool to confirm its function or lack thereof.

ORRR you can order a secondary air pump, toss it on, and pray to the BMW gods that it fixes your issue the first time. But be warned, the BMW gods can be fickle bitches as we all know.

The secondary air pump is relatively easy to access after the intake is removed from the vehicle. The intake is very simple to remove, as long as you have the proper hand tools.

Hope this helps.
Really appreciated for the detailed info. I'll have it checked out. Thanks!

Last edited by bb_00; 09-21-2017 at 08:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2021, 11:44 AM   #4
Jkan
Rep
Drives: Bmw e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_00 View Post
Well you ever able to resolve the issue? I’m having the same issue, pump, relay, both works.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2021, 12:22 PM   #5
Idfkman
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_00 View Post
Well you ever able to resolve the issue? I’m having the same issue, pump, relay, both works.
How old is your battery?
      11-14-2021, 07:14 PM   #6
Jkan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idfkman View Post
How old is your battery?
2 months.

Alternator and battery voltage tested fine. Car runs perfect with no electricity issue other than the 27AF code 😭 been trying to resolve this for months and really don’t want to go the tune route
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2021, 09:15 PM   #7
Idfkman
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkan View Post
Quote:
How old is your battery?
2 months.

Alternator and battery voltage tested fine. Car runs perfect with no electricity issue other than the 27AF code 😭 been trying to resolve this for months and really don’t want to go the tune route
Hm, not sure I get the increased emissions everyone now and again and I'm catless on a S2 tune. Just ignore it as it seems to only occur when the car has been sitting for a while.

Maybe check 02 sensors?
      11-16-2021, 05:13 PM   #8
SilverSlug
Hey, where have you been all my life?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 6MT

Fyi… I just seemed to have solved my Increased Emissions issue (I do believe I had the same trouble code).

I replaced my spark plugs and sprayed down the MAF sensor with MAF sensor cleaner to get that sticky yellowish goo off it.

No more Check engine light, and passed smog!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 01:09 PM   #9
Jkan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSlug View Post
Fyi… I just seemed to have solved my Increased Emissions issue (I do believe I had the same trouble code).

I replaced my spark plugs and sprayed down the MAF sensor with MAF sensor cleaner to get that sticky yellowish goo off it.

No more Check engine light, and passed smog!
Map sensor that's deep in the plenum?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 01:10 PM   #10
Jkan
Rep

Quote:
Hm, not sure I get the increased emissions everyone now and again and I'm catless on a S2 tune. Just ignore it as it seems to only occur when the car has been sitting for a while.

Maybe check 02 sensors?
Replaced o2, still having the 1411/SAP code
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 03:04 PM   #11
SilverSlug
United_States
Rep

Apologies, the sensor I cleaned was the Air Intake Temperature Sensor. Part# 13627792203

It is located right inside the plenum when you take the intake elbow off.

It was covered in yellow sticky goop, which I can only assume is oil build-up, and making me strongly consider installing an oil catch can. The yellow reside on the seal was also thick and sticky (even though it looks liquid).

I had also installed fresh spark plugs, which eliminated the hesitation I had when first hitting the throttle.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...SABEgLAnfD_BwE
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Idfkman475.50
      11-29-2021, 03:16 PM   #12
SilverSlug
United_States
Rep

Btw the smog tech stated that he heard an exhaust leak somewhere near the engine, even though my 02 monitors were on, and I passed smog.

He was right… I used a small rubber hose as a stethoscope to listen under the heat shield, and could clearly hear an exhaust leak at the manifold/header connection.

The Increased Emission warning I'd been battling for over 2yrs only came when the engine got really hot, which makes sense… The metal expanded once getting hot.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 03:17 PM   #13
SilverSlug
United_States
Rep

Two weeks after this, the leak got really bad and my check engine light turned on (limp mode - reduced power).

I'm currently in the process of replacing the flanges at the headers/manifold, and making sure it's not the emission valves that are leaking.

If I were you, I'd clean the Air Temp
Sensor, then use a hose to listen for fluttering at the manifold/headers connection (below the heat shield).
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 02:54 PM   #14
Jkan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSlug View Post
Apologies, the sensor I cleaned was the Air Intake Temperature Sensor. Part# 13627792203

It is located right inside the plenum when you take the intake elbow off.

It was covered in yellow sticky goop, which I can only assume is oil build-up, and making me strongly consider installing an oil catch can. The yellow reside on the seal was also thick and sticky (even though it looks liquid).

I had also installed fresh spark plugs, which eliminated the hesitation I had when first hitting the throttle.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...SABEgLAnfD_BwE
I highly doubt that’s the item that causes a SAP code since the air that goes into the SAP is routed differently/doesn’t even go through that sensor.

But I’ll clean and see anyways. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2024, 12:27 AM   #15
XKxRome0ox
e90noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

For anyone who has replaced the secondary air pump

What else do you need? Any hoses? Anything else?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0