BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

03-22-2020, 07:54 PM   #89
Epoustouflant
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
I hope not. Vaccine seems a ways off, at least longer than we can huddle at home which to me means it will spike again later after we see peak here in a couple more weeks.
Read this;

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coron...e-be9337092b56
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 08:10 PM   #90
FrozenE92M3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen White Edition E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epoustouflant View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobh59 View Post
Quote:
I don't have CNN. I'm a data scientist working in AI, looking at any sort of worldwide model right now is excruciatingly bad.

But it's just the flu right?

The real threat isn't Covid-19, it's the agenda driven media and people like you who have pushed this mild flu like disease, where 70% or so are asymptomatic, into a worldwide panic.

Congratulations. The damage you're causing to the world economy and financial markets is on pace to be a truly unfathomable number, and far greater than the paltry $1.2 trillion stimulus package currently being discussed in DC.

And just in case you think this is the ranting of someone who has had a bad time in the markets, well, once again you're sadly mistaken. I've been a trader/investor for almost 25 years so volatility is a good and always welcome friend. This is also my third rodeo when it comes to financial bubbles and their inevitable popping, and I've studied every bubble prior to them extensively. But none of this is a friend to anyone with a 401k or to 85-90% of those with an IRA.

And if you think everything is somehow going to magically or instantly recover once this is behind us, well, I certainly hope that happens, and it is a possibility, but so is winning Powerball tomorrow if you buy a ticket. Markets take the stairs up and the elevator down, and once a stock/underlying drops 50% it then has to double or go up 100% to get back to those old highs. It will eventually happen in most cases, but it will take time.

In regards to your models, well, I'll let you use your imagination as to what you can do with them.
That was a whole lot of nothing.

Here, educate yourself:
The medium is a biased leftist shithole, and cannot be trusted as a proper source.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 08:19 PM   #91
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Quote:
The real threat isn't Covid-19, it's the agenda driven media and people like you who have pushed this mild flu like disease, where 70% or so are asymptomatic, into a worldwide panic.

Congratulations. The damage you're causing to the world economy and financial markets is on pace to be a truly unfathomable number, and far greater than the paltry $1.2 trillion stimulus package currently being discussed in DC.

And just in case you think this is the ranting of someone who has had a bad time in the markets, well, once again you're sadly mistaken. I've been a trader/investor for almost 25 years so volatility is a good and always welcome friend. This is also my third rodeo when it comes to financial bubbles and their inevitable popping, and I've studied every bubble prior to them extensively. But none of this is a friend to anyone with a 401k or to 85-90% of those with an IRA.

And if you think everything is somehow going to magically or instantly recover once this is behind us, well, I certainly hope that happens, and it is a possibility, but so is winning Powerball tomorrow if you buy a ticket. Markets take the stairs up and the elevator down, and once a stock/underlying drops 50% it then has to double or go up 100% to get back to those old highs. It will eventually happen in most cases, but it will take time.

In regards to your models, well, I'll let you use your imagination as to what you can do with them.
Bob,

Covid-19 is more deadly and more contagious than the flu. You are right that 80% of the population will be fine if they catch it. It is unfortunate you don't care about the other 20%. They are our friends, parents, relatives, neighbors and many we don't know who are old or have other illnesses or compromised immune systems. They can catch Covid-19 from the other 80%. If many get it at once or in a short period of time, the likelihood of the vulnerable 20% getting it goes way up. You apparently don't understand that there aren't enough hospitals and ventilators to treat the very sick among that vulnerable 20%, so many would die. If you were able to read, you would know exactly that is happening in Italy right now. The goal is to flatten out the curve so people are exposed at a lower rate over a longer period of time si the health care system can manage it rather than be overwhelmed with the result being that many more die than is necessary. I don't know whether you are ignorant, stupid, or just greedy and upset the stock market is down, but based on your comment about how you have been a trader and investor for 25 years, greed seems like one match and I'd say ignorance is a pretty likely second match.
From the greed angle my understanding is traders can make money on the way up and on the way down.

The people who will financially be hurt by recession/depression will be those retiring soon and those who lose their job. People who keep their jobs and who won't retire soon will be okay, and savvy traders will be just fine.

I suppose if we slide into anarchy then it's going be very bad for everyone.

It's not clear to me the value of sacrifice in economy, freedom, and sanity vs X lives. At some point the misery from being locked inside and creating a depression or worse, isn't worth it, but I don't know where that line is. I do think people in Western cultures won't put up with it at some point. Eventually after some number of months people would rather take their chances and live life than stay in eating canned beans. Not sure how many months before people would defy an indefinite lockdown, but at some point they would.

At any rate, Goldman Sachs predicts unemployment to hit 9 precent and the economy to not recover really until some time in 2021, so buckle up. Wash your fucking hands, don't cough into them, and if you have extra cash buy some stocks when the price is depressed. Hopefully with limited shelter in place we get through this without too much chaos or loss of life.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 10:23 PM   #92
RedScytheM3
Science stuff and stuff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenE92M3 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I don't have CNN. I'm a data scientist working in AI, looking at any sort of worldwide model right now is excruciatingly bad.

Here, educate yourself:
The medium is a biased leftist shithole, and cannot be trusted as a proper source.
Viruses don't care if you're left or right. What are you really trying to say here? If you are truly bothered by political bias and care about the science of what's impacting our lives today I urge you to pick up a Field's virology book instead.
Appreciate 1
6ixSpd6014.50
      03-22-2020, 10:43 PM   #93
RedScytheM3
Science stuff and stuff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Quote:

Bob,

Covid-19 is more deadly and more contagious than the flu. You are right that 80% of the population will be fine if they catch it. It is unfortunate you don't care about the other 20%. They are our friends, parents, relatives, neighbors and many we don't know who are old or have other illnesses or compromised immune systems. They can catch Covid-19 from the other 80%. If many get it at once or in a short period of time, the likelihood of the vulnerable 20% getting it goes way up. You apparently don't understand that there aren't enough hospitals and ventilators to treat the very sick among that vulnerable 20%, so many would die. If you were able to read, you would know exactly that is happening in Italy right now. The goal is to flatten out the curve so people are exposed at a lower rate over a longer period of time si the health care system can manage it rather than be overwhelmed with the result being that many more die than is necessary. I don't know whether you are ignorant, stupid, or just greedy and upset the stock market is down, but based on your comment about how you have been a trader and investor for 25 years, greed seems like one match and I'd say ignorance is a pretty likely second match.
From the greed angle my understanding is traders can make money on the way up and on the way down.

The people who will financially be hurt by recession/depression will be those retiring soon and those who lose their job. People who keep their jobs and who won't retire soon will be okay, and savvy traders will be just fine.

I suppose if we slide into anarchy then it's going be very bad for everyone.

It's not clear to me the value of sacrifice in economy, freedom, and sanity vs X lives. At some point the misery from being locked inside and creating a depression or worse, isn't worth it, but I don't know where that line is. I do think people in Western cultures won't put up with it at some point. Eventually after some number of months people would rather take their chances and live life than stay in eating canned beans. Not sure how many months before people would defy an indefinite lockdown, but at some point they would.

At any rate, Goldman Sachs predicts unemployment to hit 9 precent and the economy to not recover really until some time in 2021, so buckle up. Wash your fucking hands, don't cough into them, and if you have extra cash buy some stocks when the price is depressed. Hopefully with limited shelter in place we get through this without too much chaos or loss of life.
There is great value in performing actions that mitigate potential damages caused by what some call 'acts of god' (natural disasters, pandemics, etc.)

A virus pandemic is no different than say a flood or hurricane. No one asked for it, but you have to deal with it when it lands. The effects of floods and hurricanes are glaringly obvious. Why? Because we know what it looks like, it's fresh in our memory, and your relative risk in an affected area is great. A pandemic? We don't get those too often, and people underestimate their relative risk when it comes to infections especially those that look like run of the mill colds. Of course we'd rather be living our lives than dealing with nature when it strikes (ie clearing rubble, rescuing folks from flooded neighborhoods, sheltering in place to prevent spreading infectious disease). Dealing with nature is intrinsically costly and if you do nothing then that cost goes up in magnitude. In the case of say an earthquake, a local economy will collapse if you don't clear rubble and rebuild. In the case of a pandemic, the economy will collapse on a broader scale if hospitals become overloaded and start failing to handle case loads.

Do we pay X now to deal with it, or some greater amount Z later if we just say f*** it?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 11:23 PM   #94
Epoustouflant
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenE92M3 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Here, educate yourself:
Are you serious? The Medium is not an editor, they are merely a blogging platform for anyone to speak their mind; left or right.

Read the damn article - it aggregates the most up to date data we have available and goes into deep details on various models, and the collateral impact of failing to suppress the virus.
Appreciate 3
DRLane3988.50
chocstraw495.50
6ixSpd6014.50
      03-23-2020, 06:57 AM   #95
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScytheM3 View Post
I'll try to help you with this as best I can. I work in one of the hospitals in Texas Medical Center and I can tell you to forget that 1% number you're holding onto for some reason. The threat of this virus is not just in the number of people that it can potentially kill, but what can happen in the event that it runs rampant through communities.

Hypothetically, without taking any protective measures you will run into impacting our very poorly funded medical infrastructure in a matter of weeks. Public hospitals (private either) do not have enough beds to care for every person that may get sick, fatally or otherwise. Hospitals would fill up, run out of supplies, and beds. ...
I keep hearing/reading about this, and can't help but wonder: almost every year we have some kind of flu pandemic. With hundred of thousands, if not millions, infected/affected, how come it's not a problem then, but this time it's the end of the world? Are you sayings we're rolling the dice every year, just silently? To my knowledge, flu shots are something like 20% effective, so it's not like they mitigate the issue greatly (I can be wrong with the numbers, but you get my point, hopefully).
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 08:11 AM   #96
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Flu shots are more like 40-70 percent effective any given year depending on how well they guess what strain will be most prevalent.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 08:36 AM   #97
smyles
Major
Rep

ok, so 30...60% still get sick. For US what, few millions? For how many it's serious enough that warrants an ER/hospital visit? A multi day stay? The latter, I imagine, is mostly seniors & folks with conditions, so treatment involves much more than just a Tylenol and meal 3 times a day. How that volume is tolerable, but expected from covid is not?

I'm not arguing or downplaying the severeness of covid impact, but at the same time curious re doomsday claims.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 08:48 AM   #98
RedScytheM3
Science stuff and stuff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScytheM3 View Post
I'll try to help you with this as best I can. I work in one of the hospitals in Texas Medical Center and I can tell you to forget that 1% number you're holding onto for some reason. The threat of this virus is not just in the number of people that it can potentially kill, but what can happen in the event that it runs rampant through communities.

Hypothetically, without taking any protective measures you will run into impacting our very poorly funded medical infrastructure in a matter of weeks. Public hospitals (private either) do not have enough beds to care for every person that may get sick, fatally or otherwise. Hospitals would fill up, run out of supplies, and beds. ...
I keep hearing/reading about this, and can't help but wonder: almost every year we have some kind of flu pandemic. With hundred of thousands, if not millions, infected/affected, how come it's not a problem then, but this time it's the end of the world? Are you sayings we're rolling the dice every year, just silently? To my knowledge, flu shots are something like 20% effective, so it's not like they mitigate the issue greatly (I can be wrong with the numbers, but you get my point, hopefully).
The thing about flu is we mass produce a vaccine every year tailored to the type of flu that's upcoming. Flu season in the Southern Hemisphere is during the summer months (their winter), and that is where we monitor the upcoming flu strain ahead of time. We have time to prepare massive amounts of vaccines and vaccinate as many people as we can. That provides herd immunity and restricts the spread of flu in communities. Flu shots are very effective - they are protective and if you still happen to get sick the severity is much reduced. In every hospital I've encountered they have policies requiring employees to get the flu shot. So, there's no worry about it spreading through health workers, or from health workers to patients. For the novel Coronavirus, the key is we've never seen it before. We've had no advanced time to make a vaccine. It's here spreading while we try to stop it, make drugs and vaccines at the same time. Much different scenario.
Appreciate 1
PACarGuy679.00
      03-23-2020, 08:49 AM   #99
RedScytheM3
Science stuff and stuff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
ok, so 30...60% still get sick. For US what, few millions? For how many it's serious enough that warrants an ER/hospital visit? A multi day stay? The latter, I imagine, is mostly seniors & folks with conditions, so treatment involves much more than just a Tylenol and meal 3 times a day. How that volume is tolerable, but expected from covid is not?

I'm not arguing or downplaying the severeness of covid impact, but at the same time curious re doomsday claims.
See my above post.

Everyone, Please try to inform yourselves and stay on top of information. Everything I'm explaining and the answers to all of your questions are readily available from reliable sources. There are major differences between Coronavirus and flu and how we tackle something we know is coming vs something unexpected.
Appreciate 1
PACarGuy679.00
      03-23-2020, 08:53 AM   #100
IB M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:

It's a simple math problem - COVID is 10 to 30 times more deadly than the Flu. The Flu kills 30,000 USA citizens every year so rough estimate COVIID unchecked could kill 300,000 to 1 million people and destroy the hospital infrastructure.

Let's hope the 15 day pause brings it under control and we can return to a more normal life and economy.
Appreciate 1
PACarGuy679.00
      03-23-2020, 09:21 AM   #101
smyles
Major
Rep

Ok, let's use math.
Scenario A, regular flu: 100 admitted, 5 dead, 95 discharged.
Scenario B, covid: 100 admitted, 50 dead, 50 discharged.

What's the total man-hours, equipment-hours spent per patient in each scenario. Is it 10-30 times more for B?

One may argue that covid may cause more hospitalized patients in absolute terms, but how wide spread should be to exceed our annual flu numbers?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 09:38 AM   #102
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB M View Post
It's a simple math problem - COVID is 10 to 30 times more deadly than the Flu. The Flu kills 30,000 USA citizens every year so rough estimate COVIID unchecked could kill 300,000 to 1 million people and destroy the hospital infrastructure.

Let's hope the 15 day pause brings it under control and we can return to a more normal life and economy.
Curious, 10-30 times deadlier at what point, once at intensive care?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 09:54 AM   #103
IB M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB M View Post

Curious, 10-30 times deadlier at what point, once at intensive care?
Overall start to finish - Flu kills about 0.1% of those infected and COVID appears to kill about 1% to 3% of those infected. There is debate on the covid numbers as many mild cases likely go undetected. Italy is seeing a 7% to 9% death rate Germany only 0.4% so there is a wide range.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 10:01 AM   #104
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Both flu and corona are gonna have tons of cases that dont get diagnosed and treated. Making death rate lower.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 10:21 AM   #105
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
For those having a hard time understanding why COVID is different from your everyday flu (at least here in the US), here's what the impact looks like for your state if measures aren't taken. It has to do with hospital capacity and overwhelming the system due to a virus with no current vaccine and no herd immunity yet:

https://covidactnow.org/

As you can see, doing nothing we quickly overwhelm the available hospital beds, ensuring others who don't have COVID die as well since they will not be able to get needed hospitalization if their health fails during that time.
And as one who has a doc for a wife and several docs in my family, hearing stories of how it takes 3 hours to clean a room or an OR used by a COVID+ patient, and how short even major hospitals are in terms of PPE, you realize how fragile our healthcare system is in this country. If lots of healthcare workers start getting infected and fall ill (like in Italy) the situation gets worse. I have seen guidelines put out for docs telling them to resort to using scarves and bandanas if they run out of PPE...

Last edited by PACarGuy; 03-23-2020 at 10:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 10:24 AM   #106
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

We got it, it's not the flu. How does the flu have millions affected and we have thousands now with corona and the flu doesnt overwhelm the hospital system?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 10:40 AM   #107
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
We got it, it's not the flu. How does the flu have millions affected and we have thousands now with corona and the flu doesnt overwhelm the hospital system?
Have you had the flu and gone to the hospital? They admit you, administer fluids to rehydrate, if it's early enough prescribe Tamiflu, and send you home. Total duration is like 3 hours.

Not the case with COVID-19.

Here's a worthwhile walk through of hospital wing in Italy.

You'll have to open on browser to watch.
      03-23-2020, 10:45 AM   #108
smyles
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
Have you had the flu and gone to the hospital? They admit you, administer fluids to rehydrate, if it's early enough prescribe Tamiflu, and send you home. Total duration is like 3 hours. ...
And those 10.000+ deaths from flu also happen within 3 hours?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 10:47 AM   #109
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

I've never gone to the hospital for anything, and hoping this is the same because I will get it far before 12 months, with thousand exposures a day and my job not going anywhere
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 10:49 AM   #110
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
Quote:
Because we have vaccines for the flu, which creates herd immunity for many, and since healthcare workers are required to get a flu shot, it doesn't further the spread. The flu doesn't mutate as quickly as other viruses and usually doesn't have the same devastating respiratory complications as COVID-19. So you don't end up with as many people hospitalized or on ventilators.

Difference in hospitalization rate between flu and COVID is staggering. ~2% for flu, and about 20-30% for COVID.

Also, it takes around 5 days for someone with COVID to develop symptoms, whereas with the flu, it’s 2 days. That gives people more time to spread COVID asymptomatically before they know they are sick. So faster spread.

The info is all out there if you want to take the time to read it:

https://www.vox.com/science-and-heal...flu-comparison

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6912e2.htm

Last edited by PACarGuy; 03-23-2020 at 10:59 AM..
Appreciate 0