BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

EXXEL Distributions

02-15-2020, 12:47 PM   #1
swanlake
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M

Swanlake LMB E92 6MT Photo Journey

Howdy M3Post,

It's great to be back on the forums again. I bought my first E92 M3 in 2014, a 2008 E92 DCT in Space Grey/Fox Red, and was fairly present on the forums and the SoCal M Scene for the duration of my ownership. I drove that car from 67k miles to 122k in 4 years and loved every mile. Some of you may remember my car, wrapped in 3M Blue Raspberry on Forgestar CF5V's. Pics below:

After selling my E92 to a friend of mine in 2018, I had a brief stint with a Shelby GT350, Porsche 991 Carrera S, Porsche Cayenne Diesel, and I now still have my W205 C63S Coupe. After going through all of these I realized I was searching for something I'd already had, the perfect balance of the E92 M3. In my opinion this new M3 is my forever M3, and I intend to care for and maintain it as such.

So without further adeu, my 2012 E92 M3 6mt in LeMans Blue on Bamboo Beige, currently with 44k miles on the odo:

And next to its cousin from Afalterbach in the garage:

I've yet to do a proper shoot yet, but I will be posting pics in this thread once I do. I plan to keep this car OEM+ in terms of styling, but remains to be seen what kind of mechanical modifications I go forward with. So far I've installed the OEM Performance Spoiler, and an OEM exhaust mod from EAS.

I want a bit more volume out of the exhaust so I'm evaluating catted xpipe options.

Great to be back, cheers everyone!
akkando5863.00
Bemo1120.50
      02-15-2020, 02:51 PM   #2
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanlake View Post
Howdy M3Post,

It's great to be back on the forums again. I bought my first E92 M3 in 2014, a 2008 E92 DCT in Space Grey/Fox Red, and was fairly present on the forums and the SoCal M Scene for the duration of my ownership. I drove that car from 67k miles to 122k in 4 years and loved every mile. Some of you may remember my car, wrapped in 3M Blue Raspberry on Forgestar CF5V's. Pics below:

After selling my E92 to a friend of mine in 2018, I had a brief stint with a Shelby GT350, Porsche 991 Carrera S, Porsche Cayenne Diesel, and I now still have my W205 C63S Coupe. After going through all of these I realized I was searching for something I'd already had, the perfect balance of the E92 M3. In my opinion this new M3 is my forever M3, and I intend to care for and maintain it as such.

So without further adeu, my 2012 E92 M3 6mt in LeMans Blue on Bamboo Beige, currently with 44k miles on the odo:

I've yet to do a proper shoot yet, but I will be posting pics in this thread once I do. I plan to keep this car OEM+ in terms of styling, but remains to be seen what kind of mechanical modifications I go forward with. So far I've installed the OEM Performance Spoiler, and an OEM exhaust mod from EAS.

I want a bit more volume out of the exhaust so I'm evaluating catted xpipe options.

Look into Karbonius or Eventuri CF plenum for more engine volume instead of exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 03:26 PM   #3
swanlake
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:
Howdy M3Post,

Look into Karbonius or Eventuri CF plenum for more engine volume instead of exhaust.
I would love a Karbonius... cost is definitely on the upper end though and seems availability is spotty? Before this car I'd been considering an e46 with the CSL intake as it is pretty incredible sounding. Seems the Karbonius is much louder inside the car than the Eventuri, but that might just be the way the audio has been recorded in the vids I've seen
      02-15-2020, 06:44 PM   #4
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:
Howdy M3Post,

I would love a Karbonius... cost is definitely on the upper end though and seems availability is spotty? Before this car I'd been considering an e46 with the CSL intake as it is pretty incredible sounding. Seems the Karbonius is much louder inside the car than the Eventuri, but that might just be the way the audio has been recorded in the vids I've seen
I can't quite be sure of the difference based on video. My guess is Karbonius sounds better but it's also harder to buy. They're both very expensive, but so is a nice exhaust, and I won't have to mess with federal emissions equipment like cats to do plenum. Obviously you can make more power and lose more weight with the right exhaust, but in California it's legally annoying.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 01:18 AM   #5
Drifter2090
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 | E92 335i | E90 335d

Congrats and welo me back!!

Why 6mt this time around?
SS2-FR E90 M3 6MT / IND / AFE / ActiveAutowerke - SOLD
AW-FR E90 M3 DCT / ACM / IND / AutoTecknic / K&N / H&R / Bilstein - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 09:58 AM   #6
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 SSII E90 M3 ZCP

Love it. I remember the old car. Crazy how time flies.

The new one sure is a gorgeous spec. Congrats and welcome back!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 10:55 AM   #7
swanlake
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter2090 View Post

Thanks! I went 6mt for a couple reasons. 1) I think a low mileage 6mt is a solid long term buy and will probably appreciate after a while, at a stronger rate than the DCT will. 2) I love driving stick, it's so much more of an occasion going out for a drive. I did a test stint with the muffler removed and the sounds this car makes on the 3-4 upshifts at redline is absolutely addictive, and feels so right to be in full control of that. That said, I do want to do the auto solutions SSK to sharpen up the throw and shorten it up a bit, the 4-5 shift is tricky since it's so far away. Overall though, happy camper here
      02-16-2020, 11:46 AM   #8
Drifter2090
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks! I went 6mt for a couple reasons. 1) I think a low mileage 6mt is a solid long term buy and will probably appreciate after a while, at a stronger rate than the DCT will. 2) I love driving stick, it's so much more of an occasion going out for a drive. I did a test stint with the muffler removed and the sounds this car makes on the 3-4 upshifts at redline is absolutely addictive, and feels so right to be in full control of that. That said, I do want to do the auto solutions SSK to sharpen up the throw and shorten it up a bit, the 4-5 shift is tricky since it's so far away. Overall though, happy camper here
Nice!! I did the same switch haha

And yeah I got the dinan ssk, can't wait to install it and try.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 06:20 PM   #9
D1ESEL
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11.5 ZCP E90, GT3's

Love the color combo!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 05:44 PM   #10
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Holy crap that's such an incredible spec. LMB, BB extended, 6MT, ZCP.

I envy you!!!!

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 2
      02-25-2020, 02:59 PM   #11
swanlake
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
Holy crap that's such an incredible spec. LMB, BB extended, 6MT, ZCP.

I envy you!!!!
Thanks! I felt the same way, I didn't have any choice but to buy it! haha
      02-25-2020, 08:43 PM   #12
Bemo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3 LRP Edition

Welcome back. I waited 5 years to nail an LRP edition and the 911 has been spending a lot more time on the lift ever since!
Though I drove it on some back roads yesterday and once again reminded while it will alway be the most high, by a lot, in the handling department..but I digress.

+1 for getting a CF Plenum. I opted for the Eventuri and it completely transforms the auditory senses. The induction sound it generates is infinitely more satisfying than the perf exhaust. After all, the engine is the big story in this car, not its handling or weight.
Appreciate 2
      02-26-2020, 03:35 AM   #13
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Dream combo. Keep it pristine, please. There won't be anything like this ever again!
      02-26-2020, 06:12 AM   #14
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Wait, did you get your car from Carvana? That's a super classy combo, congratulations! I've been toying with the idea of completely downsizing to 2 cars (truck and Porsche) so the 991 has been on my radar. Realistically, I could never part with my M's, especially my E92 since I've had it for 9 years now and still love it to death. What were your thoughts on that car, along with the Shelby and MB? Why does the E92 stick out so much to you?

Also, may I recommend a ZHP knob before you go SSK? It made a huge difference for me and I didn't bother with the SSK.

P.S. Bamboo Beige is truly an underrated interior color IMO.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2020, 06:36 PM   #15
swanlake
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Dream combo. Keep it pristine, please. There won't be anything like this ever again!
I will do my absolute best, I promise you that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Wait, did you get your car from Carvana? That's a super classy combo, congratulations! I've been toying with the idea of completely downsizing to 2 cars (truck and Porsche) so the 991 has been on my radar. Realistically, I could never part with my M's, especially my E92 since I've had it for 9 years now and still love it to death. What were your thoughts on that car, along with the Shelby and MB? Why does the E92 stick out so much to you?

Also, may I recommend a ZHP knob before you go SSK? It made a huge difference for me and I didn't bother with the SSK.

P.S. Bamboo Beige is truly an underrated interior color IMO.
I did buy the car through Carvana. Aside from some logistical issues it was a very easy process. Kinda surreal clicking "Confirm purchase" on a 5 figure shopping cart haha, what a time to be alive...

The 991 was cool, but to be plain, it didn't feel that special knowing how much more was available in the 991 family tree. It was a PDK car (which is an amazing transmission) and black on black, but it simply didn't feel like something that was worth keeping forever. There's also the fact that they hold their value so well, both a good and bad thing. The good thing is obvious, the bad thing is I paid more for it than the driving experience warranted given the mileage. For comparison, I paid a full $10k more for my 991 with 30k more miles than I did for this e92, and from a driving experience I think they're on the same level.

The GT350 is probably the closest you can get from an ethos perspective to the e92 M3. The engine is an absolute monster, and it's an incredibly capable car on track, up until it overheats in 6 laps due to mine being a tech pack car. I felt fully duped by Ford here, as typically a "track pack" is kind of a gimmick and not a necessity to be able to drive the car to its full potential, but in this case it means it overheats very quickly and will dramatically go into limp mode after about 10 minutes of hard driving. That said, there was a brief period where I had my old E92 and the 350, and driving them in back to back track sessions on Laguna Seca was eye opening. Where the 350 falls short is the build quality. The interior just feels like a $25k Mustang with some alcantara and red accents. It also feels ginormous. It's a surreal experience driving that car at the limit because it's a big car, that just happens to do exactly what you tell it to do. The only car that was able to pass me at Laguna was a modded 993 Turbo. Great car, just doesn't feel like a quality product. On that note, I also had the AC go out on it 3 times within the first 30k miles which is pretty unacceptable.
W///7483.50
      02-28-2020, 05:34 PM   #16
swanlake
Lieutenant
Rep

Resonators are outta here

So as I mentioned in my original post, I was looking for a bit more sound from the car, and went forward with getting the resonators removed. Personally, I can't get enough of the sound of this car now, and the fact that I achieved that without compromising the CA emissions compliance is a solid win in my book.

Quick pic and before after vid from the shop:

03-01-2020, 10:01 AM   #17
Drifter2090
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
So as I mentioned in my original post, I was looking for a bit more sound from the car, and went forward with getting the resonators removed. Personally, I can't get enough of the sound of this car now, and the fact that I achieved that without compromising the CA emissions compliance is a solid win in my book.

Quick pic and before after vid from the shop:

Sounds great!! Which oem mod do you have? 2 pipe, 4 pipe, ACM? And that's just all cats in with resoantors removed?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 12:58 PM   #18
swanlake
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Sounds great!! Which oem mod do you have? 2 pipe, 4 pipe, ACM? And that's just all cats in with resoantors removed?
To be honest I'm not sure which version it is. I picked it up from EAS, so whatever they do. But yes, all cats are in place, just OEM exhaust mod and resonator delete.
      03-02-2020, 01:46 PM   #19
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Swanlake, welcome back! Your car look gorgeous, how nice it must be coming back to something missed and find an example like that!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 02:25 PM   #20
swanlake
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Swanlake, welcome back! Your car look gorgeous, how nice it must be coming back to something missed and find an example like that!
Thank you! It felt like fate. The first day I started actively looking for one, this car was listed on CarGurus. It was purchased 3 hours later haha
      03-04-2020, 12:52 PM   #21
swanlake
Lieutenant
Rep

15/12mm spacers

Just got my spacers in yesterday, 15mm front/ 12.5mm rear, and installed them on the car. I love the new stance and it may be placebo but I swear the car feel more balanced in corners and more planted at speed. Either way, I'm very happy.

03-10-2020, 08:07 AM   #22
Matt@AUTOcouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: V8 tricycle

Welcome back, great combo!
Appreciate 0