BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Europe (Continental)

01-12-2010, 09:10 PM   #1
Marousen
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 E92

GPS in europe with american e92

Hello,
I bought my e92 m3 in USA and I'm now driving it in Switzerland. I would like to know how can I update the navigation system (GPS ) ? Is the DVD enough to make it work with Swiss maps ?
Thanks ..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 09:21 PM   #2
rwchrist
CMPULSV
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Alpine White

Garage List
2009 M3  [0.00]
I did the exact opposite and bought mine in Germany then brought it back to the states. My 09 doesn't have a disc like my 06. BMW had to program it into the hard drive. Am guessing you will have to do the same. Good luck and enjoy Switzerland.

2006 Imola Red 6-speed E46 M3 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 09:32 PM   #3
Marousen
Rep

what do you mean by ur 09 doesnt have a disc ?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 11:10 PM   #4
rsmamg
Flying First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marousen View Post
what do you mean by ur 09 doesnt have a disc ?
i think he is referring to the navigation DVD
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 11:12 PM   #5
rwchrist
CMPULSV
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Alpine White

Garage List
2009 M3  [0.00]
yup...no navigation disc.

2006 Imola Red 6-speed E46 M3 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 11:19 AM   #6
E90M3CDFR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 Sportwagon

Quote:
Hello,
I bought my e92 m3 in USA and I'm now driving it in Switzerland. I would like to know how can I update the navigation system (GPS ) ? Is the DVD enough to make it work with Swiss maps ?
Thanks ..
With the new iDrive (hard disk) you probably need to have the dealer connect it to their diagnostic system and load the European maps. When they do that, make sure they 1) don't load something called "Testmaps" because they will not work well and 2) ask them to update the navigation software to the latest version which is 1.46 and maybe even update the main software ISTP/A (or something like that) to version 36. Basically its an all night job where they leave the car connected and uploaded the new software (the BMW manual says that a map update can be done with DVD but I haven't heard of anyone having success doing that yet).

I hightly recommend finding a dealer that is aware of or has experience with US-spec cars...and if they don't push them to make contact with Munich to make sure they know what to do. Alternatively, you might want to make a trip to the Ramstein area and find one of the dealers there that has experience with all the USMIL US-spec cars.

Another thing to check (I have not succeeded with this) is whether they can switch your FM radio over to European freqs (even decimals as well as odd). Used to be possible, so far, no one with a 2009 has been able to have it done. You'll also find that RTTI and BMW Assist are inoperable.

There is a group of US-spec car owners on the board by the way (see the M-Flight/US spec car subforum).

Did you have to do much to get your car registered in Switzerland or are you (like some of us) exempt from having to make the European modifications?

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 12:28 PM   #7
osteome
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

I had the choice of loading North American maps or European maps when I took delivery of my US-spec car in Germany.

The delivered it with the North American maps, depsite my request for the European set, but were able to re-flash it in about 30 minutes.

Depending where you are in Switzerland, you may find a closer dealer to Ramstein. My dealer is located in Bavaria (Pressath) and is familiar with US spec cars.

Good luck!
Gone: M3 E93 Silverstone II over Bamboo
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2010, 02:57 PM   #8
Marousen
Rep

Thank you guys for your answers ! E90M3CDFR Im kind of exempt from having to make the European modification.
J'ai vu que tu étais français peux-tu me conseiller un bon centre BMW habitué à traiter avec des voitures Americaines en france ou Suisse ?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 12:02 PM   #9
E90M3CDFR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 Sportwagon

Quote:
Thank you guys for your answers ! E90M3CDFR Im kind of exempt from having to make the European modification.
J'ai vu que tu étais français peux-tu me conseiller un bon centre BMW habitué à traiter avec des voitures Americaines en france ou Suisse ?
Désolée, je ne suis pas français, seulement un "expat". Mais je étude la langue français...et je m’amuse bien en France.

Re your question: of the 3 different BMW centres I have worked with in France, all have been pretty bad at working with US-spec cars because there are so few--my comparison is to Germany and the Benelux. The best one I have found so far is the main centre in Paris; and especially the one that is in Velizy-Jacoubay, not far from Versailles. It is a new centre that is the biggest BMW dealer I have ever been in. An amazing facility by any measure with some nice classic BMW's to look at while waiting for an appointment. They even have the possibility of drive in appointments on Saturday (incroyable, n'est pas?) for minor services like oil changes etc.

That said, be prepared to have to argue with any French BMW centre about servicing your car unless you have diplomatic/military purchased car, which is eligible to be serviced by any BMW centre anywhere in the world. You will find that many BMW centres will turn you away because of an edict from BMW France that US-spec cars (non-diplomatic) are not to be serviced. This is to stop people from importing the cars from the US and homologating them to EU/French specs.

Even if you can get the service, you'll still find that they don't know how to do programming of the car (like alarm installs, or updates to iDrive) without several visits and consultations with Munich.

Incidentally, import/homologaiton of US-vehicles must be a decent business (esp with the current euro-dollar rate) because in my garage there is a guy who does this for a living and he has two spots in the garage that he uses to park some of his excess stock. He has a nice turnover, with Bentleys, Porsches, Cadillacs, Infinitis, Mustangs...you name it.

If you like, I'll get you the name/tel# of the service guy here that I work with and is the best one I've found so far.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 08:43 PM   #10
Marousen
Rep

Oh thank you that would be great .. Im planing to go to paris anyways in two weeks.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 12:45 PM   #11
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4, 18 X3 M40i

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90M3CDFR View Post

Another thing to check (I have not succeeded with this) is whether they can switch your FM radio over to European freqs (even decimals as well as odd). Used to be possible, so far, no one with a 2009 has been able to have it done. You'll also find that RTTI and BMW Assist are inoperable.
I am in the process of having my maps upgraded to something other than 4 year old ones. Dealer tried today without luck, he has requested help from Munich.

I have succeeded in getting the radio adjusted to European frequencies - PM me for details.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 09:57 PM   #12
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, E93 M3, '12 750ix

Quote:
Oh thank you that would be great .. Im planing to go to paris anyways in two weeks.
Thanks
hello mate, are you still based in Paris?

Which dealer did you end up getting your service done from?

Is this one any good?

BMW Paris
93 Avenue Emile Zola, 75015 Paris, France

Could you suggest good dealers in Paris that can work on US spec cars as I'll be there next month!

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 09:57 PM   #13
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slalom View Post
I am in the process of having my maps upgraded to something other than 4 year old ones. Dealer tried today without luck, he has requested help from Munich.

I have succeeded in getting the radio adjusted to European frequencies - PM me for details.
Are you referring to satellite radio??
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 09:42 AM   #14
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

try a local bmw dealership near garmisch. i think thats closest military facility to you. should be in the 200 euro range.
      07-20-2012, 11:44 AM   #15
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 vert View Post
Are you referring to satellite radio??
No, not the satellite radio, for that I am out of lunch until I go home in 2 years. The radio issue is the ability to tune .0 .2 .4 etc Thanks to Mike B I have been able to get that to work.
My local dealer has the maps installed, but I am not getting traffic information. The icon is there, but no information.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 06:37 PM   #16
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
No, not the satellite radio, for that I am out of lunch until I go home in 2 years. The radio issue is the ability to tune .0 .2 .4 etc Thanks to Mike B I have been able to get that to work.
My local dealer has the maps installed, but I am not getting traffic information. The icon is there, but no information.
Thanks for your help.

Any tips on good dealers in Paris that can work on US spec cars as I'll be there next month?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 07:31 AM   #17
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90M3CDFR View Post
Désolée, je ne suis pas français, seulement un "expat". Mais je étude la langue français...et je m’amuse bien en France.

Re your question: of the 3 different BMW centres I have worked with in France, all have been pretty bad at working with US-spec cars because there are so few--my comparison is to Germany and the Benelux. The best one I have found so far is the main centre in Paris; and especially the one that is in Velizy-Jacoubay, not far from Versailles. It is a new centre that is the biggest BMW dealer I have ever been in. An amazing facility by any measure with some nice classic BMW's to look at while waiting for an appointment. They even have the possibility of drive in appointments on Saturday (incroyable, n'est pas?) for minor services like oil changes etc.

That said, be prepared to have to argue with any French BMW centre about servicing your car unless you have diplomatic/military purchased car, which is eligible to be serviced by any BMW centre anywhere in the world. You will find that many BMW centres will turn you away because of an edict from BMW France that US-spec cars (non-diplomatic) are not to be serviced. This is to stop people from importing the cars from the US and homologating them to EU/French specs.

Even if you can get the service, you'll still find that they don't know how to do programming of the car (like alarm installs, or updates to iDrive) without several visits and consultations with Munich.

Incidentally, import/homologaiton of US-vehicles must be a decent business (esp with the current euro-dollar rate) because in my garage there is a guy who does this for a living and he has two spots in the garage that he uses to park some of his excess stock. He has a nice turnover, with Bentleys, Porsches, Cadillacs, Infinitis, Mustangs...you name it.

If you like, I'll get you the name/tel# of the service guy here that I work with and is the best one I've found so far.
Could you please PM me the name/tel # of the service personnel there and also is this BMW Centre in Paris?

BMW Paris
93 Avenue Emile Zola, 75015 Paris, France

Or another one?

Thanks for your help
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 08:58 AM   #18
SimoundD
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1

Quote:

Can you tell me what was done to make your car tune Euro frequencies? I sent Mike an email several days ago but he didn't reply.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 12:13 AM   #19
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
Coding Radio

As Mike and I went through the process, we had the option to code the car as a European model. I chose not to do so as that might have made changes that I did not want. Instead he coded the radio as European frequencies.

When driving my audio system is interrupted by radio traffic warnings, but I am not receiving real-time traffic information on screen. Mike has offered to work on that for me, but I have not yet taken him up on the offer.

Mike can be very busy at times, but he always got back to me.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 08:20 AM   #20
UBER ///M3
Nüburgring Nordschleife BTG 8:05
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2012 LEMANS BLUE E92 ZCP M3

If you still need help shoot me a PM we have a guy that does out US spec cars with Brand new European Maps...you shouldnt have CDs just simply a hard drive...I updated my 2012 maps to the 2013 maps within 30 mins or so..and it wasnt near 200 Euro..ill never go to a dealership ever...this guy has done our whole ///M-Flight car club without any issues..let me know if interested and I can give you his info...hopefully within the next day or so bc I fly to Afghanistan on Saturday...hope this helps and saves you money brother
ESS V2 Tune, ACM Test Pipes, AA Green Filter,Custom painted Recaro Pole Positions, Akrapovic slip on, Stoptech ST60/ Pagid pads, KW Clubsports, APEX ARC8s/Pilot Sport Cups, Hamann carbon fiber hood, ONEighty Headlight mod (selfmade), CRT lip with splitters, Blacked out/paint matched emblems, black aluminum extended paddles and pedals
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2016, 05:50 PM   #21
Logodude
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 ZCP

Not sure what year they moved to hdd based maps. If it is hdd based, it's too easy to change the maps. I changed my US car to euro maps by just putting them on a flash drive and plugging it into the glove box USB port.
Appreciate 0