BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

02-28-2011, 09:28 PM   #23
cmk227
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Goal: Another ///M

[QUOTE=osteome;9017376]
Quote:
Originally Posted by philingyou View Post
its 414hp and around 300lb/ft its basically a death gift to me
Before I say anything. I enlisted in the army at 17 as a 91b

14 Lexus GX460 & 14 Lexus ES300H
14 BMW 528d Touring Estate - UK
Previous M's: 11 BMW M3 JZB ZCP 6MT, 02 BMW M3 Conv 6MT & 02 BMW M3 Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 10:05 PM   #24
cmk227
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Goal: Another ///M

[QUOTE=cmk227;9024139][QUOTE=osteome;9017376]
Quote:
its 414hp and around 300lb/ft its basically a death gift to me
Before I say anything. I enlisted in the army at 17 as a 91b which was the old combat medic. I am now 32.

You sound like a very good kid but I can advise you to please consider another car or the older e46m.

It important to consider that the car is extremely aggressive and even at 32 I sometimes have to stop myself from speeding.

To many young kids have died in car accidents so if you buy the car please understand that it dangerous and that you have to be more responsible than the people around you.

I don't want to say that the car is a bad purchase or a death wish. Look at me, I loved every moment of my military experience but it could also had been my last and at 17 i was extremely young.

Thnk your grandma and parents for the opportunity to give you want you want and make them proud.

14 Lexus GX460 & 14 Lexus ES300H
14 BMW 528d Touring Estate - UK
Previous M's: 11 BMW M3 JZB ZCP 6MT, 02 BMW M3 Conv 6MT & 02 BMW M3 Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 12:18 AM   #25
CAPSGOD
Major
Rep
Drives: Diesel Son

To Be Honest- I Am 90% Sure You Will Get Into At Least One Accident With Your First Car..

But I Knew A Guy With A Gallardo In High School So Why Not

E92 M3. You Only Live Once.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 12:24 AM   #26
Seattle S65B40
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
My first car was all wheel drive and I thank the lord (and my parents) that it was. I would not be here today if it wasn't.

I think you should consider a 335Xi coupe. Plenty of power and you could get a new once for the price of a used E92 M3. It will be a great car for you to cut your teeth on. Regardless of what you get, be sure to learn some driving skills in a safer car and then you can ease into an E92 M3.

Club 6MT
2008 E92 M3 6MT, AW/Blk Ext., brushed aluminum
2006 E46 M3 ZCP 6MT Carbon blk/blk(sold)
2001 E46 325Xi 5MT Jet Blk/Blk (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 01:55 AM   #27
jmflukeiii
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jet Black M3 ZCP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle S65B40 View Post
My first car was all wheel drive and I thank the lord (and my parents) that it was. I would not be here today if it wasn't.

I think you should consider a 335Xi coupe. Plenty of power and you could get a new once for the price of a used E92 M3. It will be a great car for you to cut your teeth on. Regardless of what you get, be sure to learn some driving skills in a safer car and then you can ease into an E92 M3.
I grew up in Seattle and my first car was the first edition Subaru WRX STi.... that thing was great for some of the weather we had... I remember one snow storm on 405 through downtown Bellevue there was a huge semi that had blocked the right three lanes under the NE 8th bridge after jack-knifing.... all cars kept trying to go around to the inside, near the median. However, the freeway slants down, into the median there and there was probably a pile up of about 15 or 20 cars that had all done the same thing, thought they could sneak around. The WRX was perfect and drove through it like it was a normal endeavor for the vehicle.

However, being 16 and having the mindset I did, I drove that things like a freaking maniac... that car was very quick, as fast as these Ms, but whats scary is that it was pretty much made out of a paper-thin tin to keep the weight down. I got in an accident one day and the car crumpled like a sardine can lid.

Long story, no point really, just reminded me
2011.5 E92 M3 Jet Black, DCT, Competition, Premium 2, and Convenience Packages, Black Novillo, Enhanced Premium Sound, 15% Tint, Black Kidneys/Reflectors/Gills/Roundels, DINAN Full Exhaust, DINAN Tune.
2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Black everything.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 02:20 AM   #28
spyderco10
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3 6MT

am i the only one kinda creeped out by OP's screen name?
- John 3:16
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 05:56 AM   #29
philingyou
Rep
Drives: bmw m3 e92 jet black

so basically because of my age and arrogance i should get a e46? both hands down are fantastic cars, but what would be a convincing argument so that i can see why i should chose it over the e92. if i have the option, i hear i should go with the e92? im just hear out some good points and arguments.

also if im trying to maintain my car to the best i can; basically every man should. but, would the prices be the same for the e46 and the e92?

i used to race shifter karts when since freshman year of high school. does that count as racing
as for reliability which would be a better choice?

thanks for your words.

i made this name when i was in middle school. hahaha
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 07:53 AM   #30
Dieselino
Captain
Rep
Drives: 03 LSB M3 06 M coupe 08 M3 SG

Buy a car that is reliable, wont get you into trouble and wont distract you from school. If you want any chance of doing well and getting a job as a car designer you are going to have to live and breath sketching and focusing on school work. Getting into the college is the easy part, they are more then happy to take your 25k plus a year or whatever the hell it is now.. seriously your focus should be on school, maybe 3 or 4 students out of your graduating class will get jobs out of school at OEM's, even that number can be on the optimistic side. Not trying to discourage you, just saying get something that you dont have to stress about. You will plenty of time in your life to drive cool cars, your only 17 afterall.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 08:03 AM   #31
BimmerM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F95 X5 M C, '11.5 E92 M3 C

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
As others have said, buy a decent car but not something that you will be worrying over every waking minute. You are going to school to study right? Why be distracted by having a nice car, where you parked, trying to find a good spot way down at the end of the parking lot, etc.

Maybe as a compromise, you can get two cars, one being a less desirable car that is reliable, easy to maintain, so you can take it to college and not worry about. When you are on your break you can drive the nice car.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 09:02 AM   #32
dz
Rep
Drives: s5

congrats! e92. newer, safer, way better. be very careful learning the limits of the car (and your own ability)
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 04:05 PM   #33
philingyou
Rep

for me school is very important but i feel that i would be better than most people there, im not trying to sound cocky or arrogant, but thats what i hear when i go over to school. before i got accepted i learned under the two best mentors in school, and both gave me praise as well as encourage to work harder in school. others have given me praise as well, because for a 17 year old i could render as well as people who are in 2term. even ricahrd kim, the 4th term teacher, as well as geoff, and other teachers have given similar praise as well as qualifying for private tutor from BMW.

i would love to show examples. but the point is that i want to buy a car that i can love driving and have a fun experience even when driving from point A to B.

to me driving a car is not boring and it shouldnt be boring, even when going slow, its still fun and exciting. what i want to do is enjoy the ride like i always have when i got inside my cousin's car. when ever i got in i always had a smile, even if im going slow or fast, i had a huge grin. and im asking, which of the two is the better car to feel that joy and excitement when driving. which i narrowed my options to the e46 m3 or the e92 m3. even though i am focusing on school and only school, i still want to have the a grin on my face everyday when i get inside the car.
thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 04:58 PM   #34
joseph328
Private First Class
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: 992 Turbo S , E92 M3, Audi SQ8

Driving school > Driving School > Driving School > Track Day with professional > Track Day with professional > Track day alone > E92 M3.

E46 M3 is awesome car, but face it , it's old.

Or you might consider getting a 335d and tune it and eat M3's for breakfast
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 05:43 PM   #35
mot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 AW M3 6MT

Just get the e9x m3. Don't worry about anything else.

You sound like a smart kid, I'm sure you'll be fine.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 06:04 PM   #36
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01'325rip View Post
congrats on art center great school ! post some sketches of your work!
+1

Op, '09/E9x M3
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 03:08 AM   #37
crackberry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Carrera GTS (997.2)

wow, lots of ppl here practicing ageism over here. why cant a young guy have a m3 and still focus on schooling. does your m3 distract older ppl from work? does it hinder their job performance or prevent ppl from fulling their obligations/responsibilities? how is an older adults ability to stay on task any different than a young mans ability to stay on task and be successful?

seems to me like some ppl are envious that someone 1/3 to 1/4 of their age getting such a great car and are throwing around bs excuses. i would disregard what these ppl are saying and just follow the basic suggestions when car shopping:
1) buy something you like
2) get something that is reliable
3) make sure you can afford it

and the m3 is a great fit imho.

also, to the op: you're 17. your practically an adult. in less than 1 yr, you will be considered an adult in the eyes of the law. these ppl are obviously making blanket generalized and ignorant statements about MEN who are below a certain age. get the e9x. you deserve it. you got into college, all you have to do is graduate.

and im actually in a very similar boat as you. i graduated from college, and my parents decided to get me a m3. long story short, i want a porsche now. would love to have an am, but reliability issues is a beach, which is why im more interested in a porsche. im going to get what i want because i deserved it, and so should you. my point, you already know what you want, PLEASE dont let these ppls opinions cloud your own. hell, dont let mine cloud your head either.

its very simple. your an artist (as am i. see! similarities). follow your heart. it wont lie to you. and get what YOU want.

Last edited by crackberry; 03-02-2011 at 03:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 08:11 AM   #38
BimmerM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
for me school is very important but i feel that i would be better than most people there, im not trying to sound cocky or arrogant, but thats what i hear when i go over to school. before i got accepted i learned under the two best mentors in school, and both gave me praise as well as encourage to work harder in school. others have given me praise as well, because for a 17 year old i could render as well as people who are in 2term. even ricahrd kim, the 4th term teacher, as well as geoff, and other teachers have given similar praise as well as qualifying for private tutor from BMW.

i would love to show examples. but the point is that i want to buy a car that i can love driving and have a fun experience even when driving from point A to B.

to me driving a car is not boring and it shouldnt be boring, even when going slow, its still fun and exciting. what i want to do is enjoy the ride like i always have when i got inside my cousin's car. when ever i got in i always had a smile, even if im going slow or fast, i had a huge grin. and im asking, which of the two is the better car to feel that joy and excitement when driving. which i narrowed my options to the e46 m3 or the e92 m3. even though i am focusing on school and only school, i still want to have the a grin on my face everyday when i get inside the car.
thanks.
You seem to have made up your mind. I suggest you get the E92 M3, you won't regret it. I had both and although I miss the E46 M3, I would still choose the E92 M3 over it since I love the V8 engine, the exhaust note, the EDC, and all the tech gadgets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackberry View Post
wow, lots of ppl here practicing ageism over here. why cant a young guy have a m3 and still focus on schooling. does your m3 distract older ppl from work? does it hinder their job performance or prevent ppl from fulling their obligations/responsibilities? how is an older adults ability to stay on task any different than a young mans ability to stay on task and be successful?

seems to me like some ppl are envious that someone 1/3 to 1/4 of their age getting such a great car and are throwing around bs excuses. i would disregard what these ppl are saying and just follow the basic suggestions when car shopping:
1) buy something you like
2) get something that is reliable
3) make sure you can afford it

and the m3 is a great fit imho.

also, to the op: you're 17. your practically an adult. in less than 1 yr, you will be considered an adult in the eyes of the law. these ppl are obviously making blanket generalized and ignorant statements about MEN who are below a certain age. get the e9x. you deserve it. you got into college, all you have to do is graduate.

and im actually in a very similar boat as you. i graduated from college, and my parents decided to get me a m3. long story short, i want a porsche now. would love to have an am, but reliability issues is a beach, which is why im more interested in a porsche. im going to get what i want because i deserved it, and so should you. my point, you already know what you want, PLEASE dont let these ppls opinions cloud your own. hell, dont let mine cloud your head either.

its very simple. your an artist (as am i. see! similarities). follow your heart. it wont lie to you. and get what YOU want.
Did someone give you a hard time when you were younger? I for one am not giving the OP a hard time. Just some advice which is what he was asking for. He said he was going to college so it's based mostly on that, not his age or who's buying him a car. He's old enough to decide on which advice he thinks is best for him.

The OP seems very passionate about the M3 and probably will care about the car a lot. It would suck for him to have to worry about where to park his car while at school. I know how it can be in parking in school. Even though college has more mature students, you will still have the occasional person that don't care and will ding your door, etc. just because your car is nicer than theirs. Just make sure you have no enemies. I'm not saying the OP is worried about all this, just putting it out there in case he haven't considered it yet.

It's like us adults (if you want to call it that), most of us are picky with where we park our cars at the shopping center, mall, etc. The same would be for school but maybe slightly worse.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 08:18 AM   #39
jmflukeiii
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jet Black M3 ZCP Coupe

WTF is this whole thread about.... get the E92.
2011.5 E92 M3 Jet Black, DCT, Competition, Premium 2, and Convenience Packages, Black Novillo, Enhanced Premium Sound, 15% Tint, Black Kidneys/Reflectors/Gills/Roundels, DINAN Full Exhaust, DINAN Tune.
2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Black everything.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 08:26 AM   #40
SchnellM3
Digger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 E46 M3

Garage List
A lot of great points have been made. I'd go for the E92 and ask her to throw in the Performance Driving School as well

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 12:53 PM   #41
crackberry
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerM View Post

Did someone give you a hard time when you were younger? I for one am not giving the OP a hard time. Just some advice which is what he was asking for. He said he was going to college so it's based mostly on that, not his age or who's buying him a car. He's old enough to decide on which advice he thinks is best for him.

The OP seems very passionate about the M3 and probably will care about the car a lot. It would suck for him to have to worry about where to park his car while at school. I know how it can be in parking in school. Even though college has more mature students, you will still have the occasional person that don't care and will ding your door, etc. just because your car is nicer than theirs. Just make sure you have no enemies. I'm not saying the OP is worried about all this, just putting it out there in case he haven't considered it yet.

It's like us adults (if you want to call it that), most of us are picky with where we park our cars at the shopping center, mall, etc. The same would be for school but maybe slightly worse.
im still young, and i get a hard time everytime i walk into a bmw dealership. hard to be taken seriously when im shopping for a car that mostly 40+ yo can only afford. its infuriating to take time out of your day and set aside that money (cuz i plan to pay with a cashiers check), just to be blown off.

and parking should be a non issue. why?
1) he lives in california. here in socal (iono where in socal he lives) there are copious of ppl and students who drive nice cars. if there are a holes who want to scratch cars, there are bigger fish to fry.
2) as aggressive and beautifully designed as the m3, most ppl cant tell the difference between a 328i or a m3. this works to his advantage cuz its doesnt draw a lot of attention and thus decreases his chances of vandalism.
3) he can always park in empty spots and walk a little further.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 12:54 PM   #42
crackberry
Major
United_States
Rep

to the op, just be avante garde. get the e9x m3
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 01:08 PM   #43
BimmerM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackberry View Post
im still young, and i get a hard time everytime i walk into a bmw dealership. hard to be taken seriously when im shopping for a car that mostly 40+ yo can only afford. its infuriating to take time out of your day and set aside that money (cuz i plan to pay with a cashiers check), just to be blown off.

and parking should be a non issue. why?
1) he lives in california. here in socal (iono where in socal he lives) there are copious of ppl and students who drive nice cars. if there are a holes who want to scratch cars, there are bigger fish to fry.
2) as aggressive and beautifully designed as the m3, most ppl cant tell the difference between a 328i or a m3. this works to his advantage cuz its doesnt draw a lot of attention and thus decreases his chances of vandalism.
3) he can always park in empty spots and walk a little further.
Ok, all good. I won't argue with you. I do not want to deviate from the OP's original post. Lets enjoy our cars no matter the age.

PS: I'm in my early 30's and was never treated bad by any local dealer, even when I purchased a 2002 Z06 back in 2002 when I was in my early 20's.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 04:56 PM   #44
philingyou
Rep

now i just need to find the right e9x for me. but is buying a used and leased car a good idea? since its much cheaper, i dont want to kill my grandma cause of the price tag for special ordering one. i looked around and i read that used and leased are more abused then normally. since people dont take care of it to much is that true?

what are the cons of buying a used and leased e9x?

thanks
Appreciate 0