BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

07-30-2008, 09:49 AM   #45
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW3R View Post
Actually, I was told by the dealer that the car was SMG. The dealer also used the term for the DCT for the first few months.

My comment was based on another post about DCT lag and how great the shifting was in the 335 referring to the tranny as SMG. However, my 335 is unpredictable. Some days it shifts very smooth, other days there is a lag.

Either way, I will have my M3 with DCT (correct terminology) in less than two weeks and the 335 will be history.
FYI, the transmissions in the 335i with paddle shifters is a ZF planetary automatic. Although unlike other autos it can fully lock up the torque converter, it does in fact have a torque converter unlike the SMG which is the same transmission box as the 6MT just having servos operate the clutch and gear changes. That being said the SMG III was reporting shift times of 80 milliseconds (whether we all could agree on what "shift times" can be defined as is another conversation for another thread) while your ZF is reporting times of 100 milliseconds.

Although I can't wait for my M3, I am going to miss the ZF in my e92335i, have had not a single problem with her and she has been VERY SMOOTH, great performance (had two e92 M3 forum members do a back-road cruise with me and couldn't believe how quick it was; was driving in manual mode) and awesome fuel efficiency when left in "D"

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2008, 03:16 AM   #46
alvinjamur
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 DCT Sedan, '07 F430

Okie...I took delivery about 48 hours ago. Took it straight to detailing (Detailing
Dynamics is A++) - will post pix too.

In a few hours I head out to Montreal to get some miles on it. Thus far, it's been
great. No issues. I will post another one a little later.

And..guys...I don't "know for sure" if they've upgraded the software or not.
That's what the Sales Manager (Paul Simon) at BMW Manhattan told me cuased
the delay...and thats what I've relayed to you.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2008, 10:45 PM   #47
alvinjamur
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I took delivery, had it detailed by detailing dynamics, drove up to Montreal from New York. I got a speeding ticket. The car is FANTASTIC. I don't know
for sure if they have indeed a new version of the software as I don't know
how to check it OR compare versions. I've had no problems thus far. I've
put about 425 miles on it. Planning on driving up to Quebec City tomorrow
from here...then back to New York..all in time for my first 1200 miles...and
all in about a week. Absolutely fantastic machine.

- aLV
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 05:47 AM   #48
alvinjamur
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Okie...I had my 1200 mile service done about 48 hour ago. The tech told me that I did not get any software upgrade and that they were expecting to get one from BMW in October
or November. All is good with my DCT thus far.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 10:00 AM   #49
marwan
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP E92 M3

i hope the software improves DCT, but i honestly highly doubt the software will do anything to DCT.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 02:46 PM   #50
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

The shop foreman at my dealer (Irvine BMW) has confirmed through engineers in North America (not dealers, BMW NA Engineeing) that there will be a M-DCT software update available in September that will address the issues of stalling and occasional ignored shift commands. It was not clear if it will also address the other identified issues of occasional loss of power or the downshifting while at on limit braking. He did say that from his discussions with the engineers he felt we would all be quite happy witht this new software.

It is very suprising that they could not get this right the first time or that these things could have slipped by testing and QC. Nonetheless it is great they are working on the fix and we will have it soon.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 02:55 PM   #51
goldminer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 SG E92 M3, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
It is very suprising that they could not get this right the first time or that these things could have slipped by testing and QC. Nonetheless it is great they are working on the fix and we will have it soon.
I couldn"t agree more. You would think that in doing some testing of a brand new tranny for an M car that someone might have done a bit of track work and threshold braking.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 03:11 PM   #52
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldminer View Post
I couldn"t agree more. You would think that in doing some testing of a brand new tranny for an M car that someone might have done a bit of track work and threshold braking.
... and you think they didn't?

Dinan compliment of stuff plus PF rotors and RG63s. Enough for now.
Why, yes. I am an abrasive bastard.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 03:32 PM   #53
enigma
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 and Elise

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldminer View Post
Its amazing how hard it is to fully test any system. Ask any engineer that works on complex projects how often "edge cases" slip through.
      08-14-2008, 03:43 PM   #54
Captain Scott
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E92

I just confirmed my new car with the MDCT will be built in week 36.
We all have been saying for some time that the software fix will not be out until mid Sep, Now does that mean that they will be loading the old S/W for that week?

Also went for the Coupe instead of the Cab.

Scott
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 04:30 PM   #55
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Scott View Post
... We all have been saying for some time that the software fix will not be out until mid Sep, Now does that mean that they will be loading the old S/W for that week?...
I believe the software upgrade will be available to current owners mid September. I'm confident that all 2009 builds will already have the upgraded software.

You can stop worrying about that and start worrying about how long it's going to be before you can drive your new car. I'm resigned to the fact that I'll have to install winter tires to drive home from the dealership. My build date has slipped from wk37 to wk39.

Dinan compliment of stuff plus PF rotors and RG63s. Enough for now.
Why, yes. I am an abrasive bastard.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 04:34 PM   #56
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

If there is indeed a mid-September DCT software update, my guess is that it will make it onto all '09 production. Even if it doesn't, it would likely be added at the VPC or by your dealer before delivery.

What made you switch to the coupe for the replacement?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 06:12 PM   #57
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
I posted this question else where but as yet no replies, so I am trying here.

Question : Is it solely US spec DCT car which is experiencing these problems?

You see I have tried to read as many threads/posts as possible but to me it seems only US members are reporting them. I know there is small differences in the software, like US car start on S mode while European one start on D mode but with them there is an option in the i-drive to configure the start-up to either if you like. I know small differences but is that the thing that is making our cars less problematic.

Please post (European members) if you are experiencing problems like we have here if only to prove me wrong, or right, which ever might be the case.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 06:23 PM   #58
sfbimmer13
Original Bavarian Heritage
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
I posted this question else where but as yet no replies, so I am trying here.

Question : Is it solely US spec DCT car which is experiencing these problems?

You see I have tried to read as many threads/posts as possible but to me it seems only US members are reporting them. I know there is small differences in the software, like US car start on S mode while European one start on D mode but with them there is an option in the i-drive to configure the start-up to either if you like. I know small differences but is that the thing that is making our cars less problematic.

Please post (European members) if you are experiencing problems like we have here if only to prove me wrong, or right, which ever might be the case.
that's a great question - I would also be curious to know if EU owners see this odd problem - it really looks like the US version of the DCT SW has something funky going on...which would explain why engineers didn't run into the hard breaking/downshift problem on the Ring...
      08-14-2008, 08:27 PM   #59
Captain Scott
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post
If there is indeed a mid-September DCT software update, my guess is that it will make it onto all '09 production. Even if it doesn't, it would likely be added at the VPC or by your dealer before delivery.

What made you switch to the coupe for the replacement?
Thats a very good question, You can thank all the great feed back I have had on the forum!

I had the hot's because I bought the cab in the middle of the summer, now after the problems I had, and the fact I live in MN, I said what the hell, and got everything there is to be had in a coupe and saved myself about 7 k in the process.

I do not keep cars all that long, and found out that the Cab after 24 or 36 month's has a much lower residual value then the coupe as per the lease rates at BMW.

I am buying my car, but still wanted BMW's thinking about how much this car is going to be worth a bit down the road. trying to make a informed decison money wise, as well as my pecker

Scott
Appreciate 0