BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM
View Poll Results: WAITING FOR M-DCT
YES 90 70.31%
NO 38 29.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

04-14-2008, 08:28 PM   #45
reinaldo335
First Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: m3 ZCP 6MT, on order 09 m3 6MT

are you getting dtc?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 08:38 PM   #46
xxruffdmxx
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinaldo335 View Post
i think dealers would be trying to mark up the prices from mdct cars over msrp.
I think this is definitelly true. I am taking deliver of a DCT car in a few days and out of curiosity, i called a few dealerships to see if they had a car on the lot or if they can get one anytime soon. I called about 15 dealerships in New York, Chicago, Michigan and California. As expected, none had DCT cars in stock. They would only get a DCT car if someone canceled at the last minute. The earliest I can get a DCT car ranged from late July/early August and as late as October in busy dealerships.

Assuming this information, if a DCT car was canceled, the dealership will probably ask above MSRP. It also shows that more people want the DCT rather than 6mt (don't know the reason for this) otherwise they would buy the cars on the lots of the dealers that have 6mt. My dealership for instance, has two M3s in stock for over three weeks now, maybe longer. I asked them if they can line-up a buyer that will pay me a few grand to take my spot and purchase the car at MSRP (as per my agreement with the dealership), they said it should not be a problem.

In U.S. more people want the DCT, its logical. Our forum only represents a tiny percentage of m3 buyers. Because of the enthusiasts and the "purists" of the forum, its possible that the ratio of 6mt to dct is pretty close, but to an average m3 buyer, the dual mode of the DCT is the way to go. 90% of cars in America are automatic and if you live in a city with a traffic congestions, DCT is the only logical choice. In my opinion, if we can gather information of ALL the m3s purchased in one year, the DCT will substantially outweigh the 6mt.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 11:57 PM   #47
adamr
Major
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3 RS

Garage List
yes the 2008 M3 is not selling well here ... many people are selling them with a discount ...dealers say people are waiting for the DCT version ... but i think its the general world economy ...

2007 Porsche 997 GT3 RS
|PCM with NAV and GSM|Roll Cage|PCCB|Xenons|Sports Chrono Plus|PASM|Leather Pack|Silver Seat-belts|
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 11:36 PM   #48
barryallenflash
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

M-DCT is far superior to 6-speed manual

I just gave back my brand new 2008 M3 with 6-speed manual (car only had 120 miles) and paid a hefty premi to switch to an M-DCT car. I never drove the DCT version prior to deciding to switch, and relied only on what I've been reading on various BMW blogs. Well, the official verdict is in. The M-DCT car is FAR superior in every aspect, not to mention quicker and actually more fun to drive when shifting the 7-speed DCT manually. I'm definitely much more impressed with the dual clutch transmission and think it is worth every extra dollar I spent. And good luck trying to find these. Most dealers have only the manual trans. version. I was VERY fortunate to be able to swing this deal.
      04-16-2008, 11:40 PM   #49
reinaldo335
First Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep

how much did you paid? when do you get deliver?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 02:14 AM   #50
oneginee
Banned
Rep
Drives: GT3 RS

The extra cost of the DCT is not a factor. MT can be fun and I like the concept of Dual clutch but I slightly prefer MT because I think shifting plays a big role in enjoying the car to the fullest. If the car was a regular 3 serie I would opt for DCT. hard choice. Also I like my interior better with a shifter. Don't like the DCT knob.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 06:35 AM   #51
barryallenflash
United_States
Rep

M-dct Far Superior To M-6

I switched cars yesterday (4-16-08) and paid an additional $6500. over MSRP. The M-DCT option is another $2700. and WELL worth every extra penny. Also, this car had the $750. cold weather package, unusual for a car delivered to Florida. Anyway, the dealer didn't really have to take the M-6 car back because I had it one week and put 120 miles on it. But again I say, having now driven both cars, the DCT is noticeably quicker in acceleration because there is absolutely. ZERO lag between shift points, unlike the manual car. No human being can shift as fast as a computer. Also, the car's "fun factor" is increased because not only can you cruise around in automtic when you are stuck in heavy traffic and the constant need to shift becomes a pain, but you can manually control the shift points using either the console shifter or steering wheel paddles. And the M-DCT shifter is much more elegant and complements the M3's interior better than the plain jane manual knob. It even lights up at night. No more clutch pedals for me. This newly refined M3 definitely deserves to have the M-DCT come standard on it. The manual should be standard on the lesser-powered 3 series and more inexpensive BMW models. So there you have it. The M-DCT is the hands down winner and well worth the extra cost and wait.
      04-17-2008, 07:15 AM   #52
DonM3
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW e92 M3

Post some pics barryallenflash!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 09:08 AM   #53
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryallenflash View Post
Also, the car's "fun factor" is increased because not only can you cruise around in automtic when you are stuck in heavy traffic and the constant need to shift becomes a pain, but you can manually control the shift points using either the console shifter or steering wheel paddles.
Fun lies in the eye of the beholder, me thinks.

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 02:38 PM   #54
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
... And the M-DCT shifter is much more elegant and complements the M3's interior better than the plain jane manual knob. It even lights up at night...
You can always replace a shift knob cheaply and easily so I don't see that as a big selling point. And doesn't the manual shift knob light up too? Anyway, I liked SMG, I'll probably like DCT even more. If I were buying this year and could only get the manual, I would. Since I'm buying next year and DCT will be available then I will probably get that.

The reason I'm not buying this year is that I don't want to get a first year model car. That and I want to finish paying on two other vehicles.

Another factor I don't believe anyone mentioned is that the first cars dealers received are demonstrators basically. They mark them up, nobody buys them, so the dealer can have an M3 in their showroom until they start getting more M3s in. And if someone does pay the marked up price then that's all profit for the dealer. I wouldn't say M3s aren't selling, just the first cars delivered to the dealer.
      04-17-2008, 07:33 PM   #55
reinaldo335
First Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep

Quote:
I switched cars yesterday (4-16-08) and paid an additional $6500. over MSRP. The M-DCT option is another $2700. and WELL worth every extra penny. Also, this car had the $750. cold weather package, unusual for a car delivered to Florida. Anyway, the dealer didn't really have to take the M-6 car back because I had it one week and put 120 miles on it. But again I say, having now driven both cars, the DCT is noticeably quicker in acceleration because there is absolutely. ZERO lag between shift points, unlike the manual car. No human being can shift as fast as a computer. Also, the car's "fun factor" is increased because not only can you cruise around in automtic when you are stuck in heavy traffic and the constant need to shift becomes a pain, but you can manually control the shift points using either the console shifter or steering wheel paddles. And the M-DCT shifter is much more elegant and complements the M3's interior better than the plain jane manual knob. It even lights up at night. No more clutch pedals for me. This newly refined M3 definitely deserves to have the M-DCT come standard on it. The manual should be standard on the lesser-powered 3 series and more inexpensive BMW models. So there you have it. The M-DCT is the hands down winner and well worth the extra cost and wait.

did you paid 6500 over msrp? please post your pics, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 09:53 PM   #56
barryallenflash
United_States
Rep

M

My computer is in storage because I am in the process of moving, so I have no way of uploading photos to the Internet. I use only my Apple iPhone for web browsing and taking photos, but I can only e-mail them to individuals, not upload them. So, if you give me your e-mail address in a private message, I can send them to you and maybe you could post them for me? It's a HOT car, black on black and fully loaded, with DCT.
      04-18-2008, 04:59 AM   #57
imraan
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw x5

Here in South Africa the m3 coupe (introduced september 2007) and the convertible(april 2008) are selling extremely well with a waiting period of 8-12 months.The m3 sedan is readily available on dealer floors where huge discounts are on offer as its not popular while the recently released c63 amg has a long waiting list.M DCT is also here and popular however it will not effect the 6MT sales as the m3 in 2 door is very popular in South Africa.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 03:03 PM   #58
ajj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: dct e92 m3

car is selling well in TX, even in this economy. Austin has sold all 3 of its coupes it had in stock at msrp+(warning...they add paint protection and mats prices as their markup). the salesman told me wait list for dct cars there is at least 6 months and it is a premiere status dealership. however, you can order a 6MT today.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 03:16 PM   #59
par4bmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 370Z & My JK Toy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajj View Post
car is selling well in TX, even in this economy. Austin has sold all 3 of its coupes it had in stock at msrp+(warning...they add paint protection and mats prices as their markup). the salesman told me wait list for dct cars there is at least 6 months and it is a premiere status dealership. however, you can order a 6MT today.

The first coupes all sold in Phx as well. Only sedans left. I would assume the ratio of DCT / 6MT will be even greater in sedans.
Appreciate 0