BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

BPM

04-29-2020, 11:54 AM   #1
maicol76
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

what is this coating under chassis?

What is this widely spread yellowish material, and for what purpose is this?
It can be scraped off after heating by a heating gun,

NVH? body reinforcement?
or both?
Attached Images

2011 LCI W/DCT / K&N drop in filter / CSF radiator / do88 oil cooler / do88 DCT cooler / Akra Evo / Moton CS 2 way coilover / Wiechers strut bar(F) / ARC strut bar(R) / Alcon Superkit BBK / Tarox rotor / Geoff steel EHPS / Sard carbon-Kevlar GT wing / GT4 carnard / Aim Evo4+G-dash+GT Steering+S/C GP HD / Bride Zeta3 / etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 12:07 PM   #2
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Probably sound deadening material and/or something for corrosion resistance.
      04-30-2020, 10:57 AM   #3
maicol76
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Probably sound deadening material and/or something for corrosion resistance.
Except for rust prevention, if there is no body stiffening/reinforcement function, I would like to remove it. I think total weight can be significantly reduced.
2011 LCI W/DCT / K&N drop in filter / CSF radiator / do88 oil cooler / do88 DCT cooler / Akra Evo / Moton CS 2 way coilover / Wiechers strut bar(F) / ARC strut bar(R) / Alcon Superkit BBK / Tarox rotor / Geoff steel EHPS / Sard carbon-Kevlar GT wing / GT4 carnard / Aim Evo4+G-dash+GT Steering+S/C GP HD / Bride Zeta3 / etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 11:33 AM   #4
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E82 128i, F82 M4, E36

I also believe it's some form of corrosion resistance.

Quite the project you got going there by the looks of it
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 09:04 PM   #5
maicol76
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk94 View Post
I also believe it's some form of corrosion resistance.

Quite the project you got going there by the looks of it
That's not my car, someone else's car.
1st picture was taken during the removal of that for complete race car work.
I wonder if there is no problem with body stiffness even if I remove it without roll cage work
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 07:09 AM   #6
Ngilbe36
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, 2019 F150

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Cosmoline:

Most German and luxury automakers like BMW, Mercedes and Porsche rust proof their cars from the factory. This is to prevent rusting during storage and more importantly to aid against rust that may develop from sea water, rail dust, and road salt during shipping.

What they use is a product called cosmoline. It is a rust inhibitor that adheres to the military specification MIL-C-11796C Class 3. It comes in either of two forms, the first is in a greasy goopy consistency and the more common consistency that dries to a waxy like finish.

It is yellow in color and if you have ever looked under the hood or in the nooks and crannies of your E30 or other classic BMW, you most likely have spotted some of it.

To this day BMW continues to use this process for all of their new cars destined for the VDC (vehicle delivery center). Most countries/regions have VDC’s or the work is handed off to the local dealership before delivery. The job of the VDC is to inspect, clean and if needed repair your newly purchases vehicle before delivery.

One of those important steps is to remove the cosmopolitan from the outer body.

...TL;DR, its not structural.
Appreciate 4
dparm3849.50
Nebo16.50
roastbeef11584.50
      05-01-2020, 08:19 PM   #7
maicol76
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngilbe36 View Post
Cosmoline:

Most German and luxury automakers like BMW, Mercedes and Porsche rust proof their cars from the factory. This is to prevent rusting during storage and more importantly to aid against rust that may develop from sea water, rail dust, and road salt during shipping.

What they use is a product called cosmoline. It is a rust inhibitor that adheres to the military specification MIL-C-11796C Class 3. It comes in either of two forms, the first is in a greasy goopy consistency and the more common consistency that dries to a waxy like finish.

It is yellow in color and if you have ever looked under the hood or in the nooks and crannies of your E30 or other classic BMW, you most likely have spotted some of it.

To this day BMW continues to use this process for all of their new cars destined for the VDC (vehicle delivery center). Most countries/regions have VDC’s or the work is handed off to the local dealership before delivery. The job of the VDC is to inspect, clean and if needed repair your newly purchases vehicle before delivery.

One of those important steps is to remove the cosmopolitan from the outer body.

...TL;DR, its not structural.

Thanks for the professional explanation.
I wonder how much weight will be lost if this is removed. haha
Appreciate 0