BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

07-22-2013, 01:05 AM   #45
Leonardo629
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe

sigh....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longwong View Post
Dinan tune and intake as your top mods? The tune has never been shown to make any hp on a dyno, nor has the intake and this is your top two?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 01:07 AM   #46
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Have driven the car a bit more now... and I must say... I really am happy with this mod.

Instead of having that "rasp" at 2800-3700RPM like you get with a lot of the drop in solutions and other intakes, this one makes a more aggressive sound without adding unwanted sound characteristics. It's a an expensive piece but you get what you pay for. It wouldn't surprise me if DINAN performed flow testing of this intake vs the stock elbow. It's another well engineered product from them.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 06:53 PM   #47
EliteM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

I just installed a 2nd hand Dinan intake, and I was coming from a drop in AA green filter. What I hated about the AA filter was the rasp that Mr. Benvo mentioned earlier. I found with the windows down, I can't really hear the rasp I did before, however, with the windows up, it is still apparent, just higher in the RPM range. Mine kicks in closer to 4k RPM. It isn't as loud, but still there.

Slightly disappointing since the reason for the purchase was to have smoother & deeper intake sound.

I am sure it is night/day difference between stock and Dinan intake, but I can't get on the bandwagon with everyone else when comparing drop-in filter vs. Dinan intake.

Sure is pretty though.

Also, one more note, I notice that the filter touches the airbox housing in the front but noplace else. Did everyone elses install go the same? I believe it is installed right, and i played with angles/rotation, but wanted to be sure.
      02-08-2014, 09:28 PM   #48
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

Just read all this now. I recently bought the dinan intake with filter off another member and had it installed. However the hose that connects to the metal piece popped off when I checked it the next day. Hope that didn't affect anything and I snapped it back in immediately.

The other thing I noticed was that the intake didn't make the same whoosh noise I was used to when i did the same mod in my 335. Funny thing is I noticed it the 1st 10 min after I installed it but after that it wasn't present. Is it normal to not get that whoosh noise with a NA engine?

I certainly noticed a bit more power and smoother acceleration, if that's the right phrase to use.

Feedback fm dinan intake owners will be appreciated. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 12:04 AM   #49
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
Just read all this now. I recently bought the dinan intake with filter off another member and had it installed. However the hose that connects to the metal piece popped off when I checked it the next day. Hope that didn't affect anything and I snapped it back in immediately.

The other thing I noticed was that the intake didn't make the same whoosh noise I was used to when i did the same mod in my 335. Funny thing is I noticed it the 1st 10 min after I installed it but after that it wasn't present. Is it normal to not get that whoosh noise with a NA engine?

I certainly noticed a bit more power and smoother acceleration, if that's the right phrase to use.

Feedback fm dinan intake owners will be appreciated. Thanks.
The whoosh noise is unique to FI engines.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 01:38 AM   #50
MrStinky
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

Any dynos with logged data making sure other factors remained equal, showing true power?

I pose the question that if the 450 HP gts 4.4 l motor runs off the same stock intake, and it requires more flow than regular 4 litre engines, than doesn't it speak to the stock intake feeding as much air as the engine needs to make post power?

The drop in filter I get as that lowers the pressure differential of air going through filter and decreases pumping losses since less restriction mean less energy to suck air in but the amount of air in my view is already plenty for the engine to make as much power possible. Again air into engine is limited by can lift and duration so adding more air in the manifold really doesn't force more air through valves because there is already the desired airflow designed from engine maker for that given can lift.
.if you theoretically had infinetly variably lift can that read intake air flow and adjusted I see how intakes may work but otherwise makes no sense. Other than as I mentioned the filter part.

I actually think at real world speeds since the intake elbow is larger diameter, the velocity of air moving through there and into the throttle bodies and into cylinder would decrease and given the engine doesn't require more air( which din an may increase flow but at cost of slower velocity) the air the engine is utilizing is now slower and less efficient cylinder filling with slower moving air which would increase pumping losses by engine having to work harder due to vacuum created would need to work harder to sucjk in slower moving air.

I would bet money this makes negative performance if you take out positive effect from filter and thus why just doing a drop in yields most benefit .dynos actually may show this gaining a few HP as due to lack of airflow in dyno, the engine is seeing slow velocity air compared to street and given air is slower the stock elbows higher velocity is potentially not noticeable with lack of air vs dinan elbow with larger flow and although slower velocity air through larger elbow at street speed, would offer advantage on a dyno as less pumping losses to draw from stagnant air in a large volume tube vs stock small volume. However that phenomon is not applicable on road where airflow is high.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 09:54 AM   #51
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46m3

love te looks...sound might be nice but for 899$.......
      02-09-2014, 09:56 AM   #52
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Your "whoosh" noise comes from the turbos your 335 had. This engine doesn't have them, which is why you aren't hearing it. Enjoy your purchase, it's a great product!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 10:17 AM   #53
swifty
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehighM3
Your "whoosh" noise comes from the turbos your 335 had. This engine doesn't have them, which is why you aren't hearing it. Enjoy your purchase, it's a great product!
Ok thanks for the feedback.

The intake defn compliments the Dinan exhaust cuz everyone says it's much more louder now.
Past: Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 01:03 PM   #54
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Agreed and totally enhances the intake sound experience, which for me personally I prefer aggressive intake noise over exhaust sound.

Also some really interesting videos from when M5board interviewed Steve Dinan and there was a segment where Dinan walked through the design and testing of the E60 M5 intake.. you bet they test this stuff, quite rigorously actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
Have driven the car a bit more now... and I must say... I really am happy with this mod.

Instead of having that "rasp" at 2800-3700RPM like you get with a lot of the drop in solutions and other intakes, this one makes a more aggressive sound without adding unwanted sound characteristics. It's a an expensive piece but you get what you pay for. It wouldn't surprise me if DINAN performed flow testing of this intake vs the stock elbow. It's another well engineered product from them.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 01:43 PM   #55
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

I have been in the BMW modding world for a while. I have not had a lot of DINAN products on my personal cars but I have had a lot of experience with them.

DINAN products might not be the most aggressive, their stroker kit might not make the most power and their suspension might not be the lowest or best handling, but they are well built, reliable, tested products made for the street with verified gains.

If I was a guy just looking to get a little more out of my BMW without sacrificing daily drivability, then DINAN is probably the place I would go for mods.
      02-09-2014, 01:53 PM   #56
Semi-Poor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
I have been in the BMW modding world for a while. I have not had a lot of DINAN products on my personal cars but I have had a lot of experience with them.

DINAN products might not be the most aggressive, their stroker kit might not make the most power and their suspension might not be the lowest or best handling, but they are well built, reliable, tested products made for the street with verified gains.

If I was a guy just looking to get a little more out of my BMW without sacrificing daily drivability, then DINAN is probably the place I would go for mods.
Well said, I am thinking exactly along these lines.
      02-09-2014, 01:57 PM   #57
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

i dont think it could be put any better sir!!!!
      02-10-2014, 07:25 PM   #58
MrStinky
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebringjetta View Post
i dont think it could be put any better sir!!!!
The problem with din an is they just never deliver the promised performance. Literally never read an example on any model where din an made advertised power or produced street results promised. Worst was e39 mod packages. Theirwhole "dyno iisn't accurate way to measure power" flew for awhile but problem is solid other tuners shoe gains on dynos and real street performance.

In that same video someone mentioned with Steve din an talking about the poor design of m5 maf sensor size and intake, he actually says the intake airflow has " all been fixed on the new M3" referring to e92
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 10:19 PM   #59
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:

+1 Well said.

I like the intake I have from them very much, and I had their exhaust on my E60 M5 and it was amazing. I think they offer well engineered products and appreciate the time and effort they put into R&D at their facility.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 11:53 PM   #60
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Agreed. For the most part, the Dinan stuff feels akin to BWM Performance parts. Maybe not the biggest gains or the cheapest stuff, but OEM-like fit with a modest enhancement to the car. The Dinan intake is basically akin to a BMW Performance spoiler for the engine bay.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 08:11 AM   #61
yoelev
First Lieutenant
Rep

how many miles do you guys think the dinan air filter should run for?
      02-11-2014, 10:36 AM   #62
swifty
Colonel
Rep

Do you guys feel there's extra torque down low? The car just seems a tad bit more responsive with this intake but I'm wondering if this is all in my head.
Past: Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 11:13 AM   #63
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
A professional race car driver came by yesterday to have his M3 tuned.

He had the DINAN intake on his car. I was THOROUGHLY impressed by the quality and fitment of the intake. Even the rubber that they use to connect the parts allows for play and vibration so the intake doesn't pop off, rattle, etc.

I was so impressed, that I'm going to get one for my M3. It is without question the best intake product I've seen for this car. Regardless of cost it is definitely a premium product, and I believe in paying for quality and proper design.

I will post a pic of his kit when I get to a computer. On mobile now
I echo this sentiment. I am on my second CF DINAN intake on my second E9x M3(E90 now E92) and I think it is worth every penny. Seems obvious how much larger the center of the elbow is on the DINAN vs. Stock(pic below).

Here is a link/pics if anyone is interested on my take on the intake:
EDIT: Forgot the link....http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281826

You'll see some DINAN bashing in there as well

Name:  ForumSDC10436.jpg
Views: 924
Size:  44.8 KB

Name:  ForumSDC10438.jpg
Views: 947
Size:  54.2 KB

Name:  ForumSDC10443.jpg
Views: 918
Size:  41.7 KB

Name:  o.jpg
Views: 934
Size:  137.1 KB

Last edited by mPlasticDesign; 02-12-2014 at 10:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 11:17 AM   #64
Brian_VACsales
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 VF Supercharged, 135i

Quote:
+1 Well said. I like the intake I have from them very much, and I had their exhaust on my E60 M5 and it was amazing. I think they offer well engineered products and appreciate the time and effort they put into R&D at their facility.
Yep. Seems like many folks on the forums like to slam DINAN for being overpriced, but you really need to see what goes into everything they build. They treat every product like it's being built for an OEM and they test accordingly.

They have 80 employees or so. In California. All engineering and most manufacturing is done in house, in California. When they use outside vendors, they use the best of best. I just happen to know their carbon shop and they put out the highest level stuff. They use JRZ for dampers. You get my point.

Their warranty deal is one of a kind. That can't come for free, esp when you are getting OEM level parts made in CA with 30 years of success behind the products. I'm sure they are not perfect and some products were less than ideal (esp when looking at price vs truly comparable items on the market) but they have been and still are the largest BMW 'tuner' in the world.

Also, their race engine program speaks for itself...
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 11:25 AM   #65
Race Precision Motorsport
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
+1 Well said.

I like the intake I have from them very much, and I had their exhaust on my E60 M5 and it was amazing. I think they offer well engineered products and appreciate the time and effort they put into R&D at their facility.
Agreed! Although Dinan's pricing may be steep, it's well worth the premium. The amount of time and effort invested into each and every product they produce amazes me.

I had their Dinan intake on my E90 M3 for a while before going forced induction, and definitely would recommend it to anyone with an NA setup.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 01:27 PM   #66
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Metak2you View Post
I echo this sentiment. I am on my second CF DINAN intake on my second E9x M3(E90 now E92) and I think it is worth every penny. Seems obvious how much larger the center of the elbow is on the DINAN vs. Stock(pic below).

Here is a link/pics if anyone is interested on my take on the intake:

Attachment 976856

Attachment 976857

Attachment 976858

Attachment 976849