BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

01-31-2022, 01:13 PM   #1
G60MM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 Signal Green M4

Exclamation Calling EXPERTS of V2 M Performance steering wheel LED

I don't post much but, I'm in need of help.

Background.

I bought a used electric V2 M performance steering. It came with all the main needed parts and the steering wheel is in very nice shape. Looks like new. The seller bought it used and never installed on his car. He sold the car before getting a chance to installed the steering wheel. The engine developed a knocking sound. He said, he was able to test the steering wheel when he bought it and was turning on.

The problem.

I followed the installation process and used the CAS plug for the constant 12v and ground. The steering wheel won't turn on. I spent over 3 hours searching online but, no luck. I spent over 2 hours checking each wire and all are correct.

Does anyone have what will be the values (readings) of the 3 wires that connect to the steering wheel? the small 3 wire plug that comes out from the clock spring that connect to the steering wheel?

or the values of the 3 wires that connect to the back of the clock spring? (White red, white brown, white blue)

The plug should be white but I could only find a green replacement.

Anyone know how to test the steering wheel ? Like, what wires should I apply 12V and ground?

BTW
I would send some beer $$$ to the person who can help me get this steering wheel to work.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 06:09 PM   #2
Ccieszyn
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3, 2006 E60 M5

Your pics aren't loading for me, but I just did this install. If you can send me some detailed images and commentary, I'll give it a look.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 07:34 AM   #3
G60MM
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccieszyn View Post
Your pics aren't loading for me, but I just did this install. If you can send me some detailed images and commentary, I'll give it a look.
PM sent
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 09:07 AM   #4
G60MM
Enlisted Member
Rep

For future reference. This is what I found to be the 12v and ground for the steering wheel.

The 3 wire plug that comes out from the clock spring to the steering wheel have a green, black and red wires. The black wire is the ground and the red wire is the positive. If this two wires show 12V, the steering wheel should turn on. Unfortunately that is not my case. My steering wheel won't turn on.

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 11:08 AM   #5
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by G60MM View Post
For future reference. This is what I found to be the 12v and ground for the steering wheel.

The 3 wire plug that comes out from the clock spring to the steering wheel have a green, black and red wires. The black wire is the ground and the red wire is the positive. If this two wires show 12V, the steering wheel should turn on. Unfortunately that is not my case. My steering wheel won't turn on.

Just to cover all bases, do you have all the parts listed? It looks like the coil spring cassette is also part of the installation.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 12:45 PM   #6
G60MM
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
Just to cover all bases, do you have all the parts listed? It looks like the coil spring cassette is also part of the installation.
Yes, I have all the parts (wiring harness, steering wheel, control module).
Appreciate 1
derbo3608.50
      02-07-2022, 11:10 AM   #7
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

Are you physically trying to turn it on? Having power on it alone wont start it up, you have to hold the two buttons down.

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 12:15 PM   #8
Ccieszyn
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3, 2006 E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrazM View Post
Are you physically trying to turn it on? Having power on it alone wont start it up, you have to hold the two buttons down.
For functionality after ignition this is true, but the wheel does go through some sort of power on self test when turning on the accessories. It flashes the lights in sequence and turns on the OLED display momentarily.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 01:03 PM   #9
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccieszyn View Post
For functionality after ignition this is true, but the wheel does go through some sort of power on self test when turning on the accessories. It flashes the lights in sequence and turns on the OLED display momentarily.
Correct but the sequence is also dependent on the last instance of power on which relies on the wake up signal. These wheels really don’t go bad and there isn’t much to the installation.

I would Really double check the can signal connection because the wake up signal for the wheel module is dependent on the can.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2022, 01:45 PM   #10
Vedubin01
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Just purchased this wheel new and waiting for it to arrive. Following this thread closely. Please keep us updated. And for the record…. None of the pictures are loading
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2022, 11:30 AM   #11
G60MM
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrazM View Post
Correct but the sequence is also dependent on the last instance of power on which relies on the wake up signal. These wheels really don’t go bad and there isn’t much to the installation.

I would Really double check the can signal connection because the wake up signal for the wheel module is dependent on the can.
If I remember correctly, the can signal is a 2.3 to 2.5 volt and I got 2.5v when I did the test.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 03:52 AM   #12
su_root
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

There's an old thread on these forums that may help illustrate separate power points (CAS or ?) .I'd help search for you but I'm on my phone atm.

Question...are you DCT or manual? The reason I ask is if you're DCT then it's not officially supported but the good news is it does work.

Try to make sure you're tapping/splicing the control signals properly. Use a continuity meter to check. i used t-taps on my install and I had to double check them before I got it going. If you used taps like I did, use pliers to make sure the tap is solid. Clamp them down tight.

I have the same wheel on my '13 DCT and it 'loses' sync from time to time. I have to hard cut power to the car to wake it back up. Meaning I disconnect the ground from the battery in the trunk for 30s or so then reconnect and all is well again. Other posts here concur so expect to have that annoyance from time to time.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 09:34 AM   #13
Gossypiboma
Major
Rep
Drives: 13' M3 6MT 18' M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by G60MM View Post
Yes, I have all the parts (wiring harness, steering wheel, control module).
But do you have the coil spring that came with theV2 wheel? Your factory coil spring will not work.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 04:08 PM   #14
G60MM
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gossypiboma View Post
But do you have the coil spring that came with theV2 wheel? Your factory coil spring will not work.
oops, forgot to mention the clock spring. Yes, I have it.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 04:12 PM   #15
G60MM
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by su_root View Post
There's an old thread on these forums that may help illustrate separate power points (CAS or ?) .I'd help search for you but I'm on my phone atm.

Question...are you DCT or manual? The reason I ask is if you're DCT then it's not officially supported but the good news is it does work.

Try to make sure you're tapping/splicing the control signals properly. Use a continuity meter to check. i used t-taps on my install and I had to double check them before I got it going. If you used taps like I did, use pliers to make sure the tap is solid. Clamp them down tight.

I have the same wheel on my '13 DCT and it 'loses' sync from time to time. I have to hard cut power to the car to wake it back up. Meaning I disconnect the ground from the battery in the trunk for 30s or so then reconnect and all is well again. Other posts here concur so expect to have that annoyance from time to time.
Yes, I use T-taps too, checked continuity of each signal tapped and each wire from end to end. All beep (good). I gave up and took everything out. Everything is in a box in the attic. I have a friend with a V1 steering wheel but not sure if my V2 wheel will work on his V1 wiring. Anybody knows the answer?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 09:27 AM   #16
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedubin01 View Post
Just purchased this wheel new and waiting for it to arrive. Following this thread closely. Please keep us updated. And for the record…. None of the pictures are loading
I am also interested in buying this steering wheel, where did you buy it?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 12:16 PM   #17
Vedubin01
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedubin01 View Post
I am also interested in buying this steering wheel, where did you buy it?
I picked it up from the group but from conex . $1290 shipped. Took about 3 weeks to receive. It went pretty flawless
Appreciate 1
ChiTownM1062.00
      04-12-2022, 06:51 PM   #18
Gossypiboma
Major
Rep
Drives: 13' M3 6MT 18' M3 CS

Its cheaper straight from BMW. $1235 shipped.

https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...el-32302165395
Appreciate 2
ChiTownM1062.00
nah dude237.00
      04-13-2022, 10:05 AM   #19
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gossypiboma View Post
Its cheaper straight from BMW. $1235 shipped.

https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...el-32302165395
For whatever reason every wheel I find online that is OEM mentions that it will not fit the DCT cars, which I cannot confirm to be true. Is there a different wheel altogether for the DCT with paddle shifters?
Appreciate 0