BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

06-24-2021, 06:25 PM   #1
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Sway Bar Bushing Install

Any tips on how to get the bushings reinstalled? They're two pieces and not quite like on the regular E9x. They don't stretch (at least not easily) over the sway bar so I was going to try to force it on by tightening the screws and hoping it works.

Is there a better way?
      06-25-2021, 12:46 AM   #2
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Figured it out. You have to remove the sway bar to get access to the bushings. Start with removing the sway bar links. The nut on the link is 17 mm and the inside nut for the counter-hold is 16 mm, but it could be the other way around.

Then move onto the sway bar bushing bracket nuts. There are five total, with a smaller nut on the driver side. Once those are off, the bracket will remain attached to the sway bar since one of the bushings (31352283516) has two plastic pieces that stick out to secure it to the bracket. Using a thinner flat head screw driver, wedge the head into the space between the bushing and bracket like in the attached image and pivot the screwdriver into the bushing to compress it. It should start sliding out but feel free to break the plastic parts attaching the bushing to the bracket to make it easier.

Once both bushings are out, place the inside one with the notch the right way and then place the top bushing like the attached image again. Use the flat head screw driver to compress the bushing a bit then press down to secure the top bushing until you hear two clicks. The inside bushing with the notch will still be pretty loose on the sway bar for now.

Reinstall the sway bar and use the nuts to secure the brackets on their mounting points. Torque until tight as this will compress the inside bushing onto the sway bar. Attach the sway bar links to the sway bar and you should be good to go.

Just a heads up - I think the picture was taken when I placed the bracket the wrong way on the driver's side. Match up the holes on the bracket to right orientation on the sway bar.
Attached Images

07-02-2021, 11:28 PM   #3
alexvegas65b40
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 BMW M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
Figured it out. You have to remove the sway bar to get access to the bushings. Start with removing the sway bar links. The nut on the link is 17 mm and the inside nut for the counter-hold is 16 mm, but it could be the other way around.

Then move onto the sway bar bushing bracket nuts. There are five total, with a smaller nut on the driver side. Once those are off, the bracket will remain attached to the sway bar since one of the bushings (31352283516) has two plastic pieces that stick out to secure it to the bracket. Using a thinner flat head screw driver, wedge the head into the space between the bushing and bracket like in the attached image and pivot the screwdriver into the bushing to compress it. It should start sliding out but feel free to break the plastic parts attaching the bushing to the bracket to make it easier.

Once both bushings are out, place the inside one with the notch the right way and then place the top bushing like the attached image again. Use the flat head screw driver to compress the bushing a bit then press down to secure the top bushing until you hear two clicks. The inside bushing with the notch will still be pretty loose on the sway bar for now.

Reinstall the sway bar and use the nuts to secure the brackets on their mounting points. Torque until tight as this will compress the inside bushing onto the sway bar. Attach the sway bar links to the sway bar and you should be good to go.

Just a heads up - I think the picture was taken when I placed the bracket the wrong way on the driver's side. Match up the holes on the bracket to right orientation on the sway bar.
I also could not figure out how to get this done myself, i even thought i had bought the wrong bushings lol