BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

04-28-2020, 07:03 AM   #23
Hoosier_M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
White cage bars in a not-white car = racecar

Not a white car? Not a racecar? No white cage bars for you or you're that guy who wears his fire suit to the iracing driver's meeting

Especially egregious if white applied to a roll hoop/half-cage in a non-white car. -10,000 cred points

My vote is wrap it in purple chrome vinyl
Wrap the whole car purple chrome vinyl? We have a winner.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 03:07 PM   #24
aboutsize14
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92

Think you will find that Penske set up is going to work amazing! There customer support is top notch as well. If Turner will give you some set up info and valving clues i'm sure you will really benefit from that as well. Im running MCS Da's on my Boss 302 and would only consider swapping them for these shocks/struts. Think you came across a great set, and at a great price. Good luck with your build. That is a badass ride. That other set there sitting on somebody should make a move on them.

Last edited by aboutsize14; 05-25-2020 at 05:55 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2020, 11:59 AM   #25
Hoosier_M3
Private First Class
Rep

Quick update here. The cage is coming along nicely after some COVID related delays and the last few parts are arriving at the shop. I got the (not so popular) Do88 radiator hoses and I will be posting my thoughts/experience with those later this month.

For all my Northeast folks, I am hearing LRP is planning to open up in early June.

Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11421.00
tsk941514.50
      05-11-2020, 04:55 PM   #26
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

I don't go to LRP, but if you ever do a WGI event with PCA let me know! Chances are I'll be there
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 05:58 PM   #27
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

I'd love to see pics how the Penske shocks mount up. Definitely top shelf in a locked cabinet w/retinal scan level kit.

Nice.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 06:15 PM   #28
kayha12
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Nice man! Definitely come down to some NASA MA events if you can. I know NASA NE goes to NJMP often and am hoping to get out there at least once this season. I run TT3 with NASA
NASA Mid Atlantic - TT3 #97
'12 E92 M3 ZCP
Sponsored by Andrewtech Automotive
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 07:27 PM   #29
Hoosier_M3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I don't go to LRP, but if you ever do a WGI event with PCA let me know! Chances are I'll be there
Will let you know! Probably focusing on getting the car set up at LRP at first, but will hopefully be out at WGI later in the season

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post
I'd love to see pics how the Penske shocks mount up. Definitely top shelf in a locked cabinet w/retinal scan level kit.

Nice.
Pics to come... suspension should be getting done this week so I'll have plenty of pictures there

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayha12 View Post
Nice man! Definitely come down to some NASA MA events if you can. I know NASA NE goes to NJMP often and am hoping to get out there at least once this season. I run TT3 with NASA
One of my friends from college runs his E92 M3 with NASA (I think he's actually on here too) and he's at NJMP a lot, so I'd like to get out there as well
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      05-17-2020, 07:32 PM   #30
Hoosier_M3
Private First Class
Rep

Just got these pics of the cage. Car is coming back from the fabricator in the next few days, with final reassembly over the next few weeks. If all goes to plan it should be ready for an initial shakedown in early June.

I could not be happier with how this turned out.

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 09:24 PM   #31
nicksm3
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 m3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_M3 View Post
Quick update here. The cage is coming along nicely after some COVID related delays and the last few parts are arriving at the shop. I got the (not so popular) Do88 radiator hoses and I will be posting my thoughts/experience with those later this month.

For all my Northeast folks, I am hearing LRP is planning to open up in early June.

Looking Gooooooooooooood!!
And yes LRP is opening up and I will be there June 5-6 with HOD and June 13th with SCDA. Come through if you can!
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2020, 01:02 PM   #32
Hoosier_M3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksm3 View Post
And yes LRP is opening up and I will be there June 5-6 with HOD and June 13th with SCDA. Come through if you can!
It's open already! I was there last weekend but didn't get out since my car isn't done. I believe the track is now not alternating LRDC/SCDA on the same day so I don't have any track time until the end of June.

Frustrating... but my car should be done then. The front end work is now done (coolers, radiator hoses, etc.) and the dash is back in. Cage is getting painted Monday, then brakes/suspension, seats/center console (the current plan is to cut it in half), fire system, and aero. Hopefully I'll get some pictures next week.

I will also put together a detailed write-up on the Penske installation. This has been very challenging and required several unique/custom parts so if anyone else wants to go this route I should be able to help.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 01:51 PM   #33
nicksm3
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It's open already! I was there last weekend but didn't get out since my car isn't done. I believe the track is now not alternating LRDC/SCDA on the same day so I don't have any track time until the end of June.

Frustrating... but my car should be done then. The front end work is now done (coolers, radiator hoses, etc.) and the dash is back in. Cage is getting painted Monday, then brakes/suspension, seats/center console (the current plan is to cut it in half), fire system, and aero. Hopefully I'll get some pictures next week.

I will also put together a detailed write-up on the Penske installation. This has been very challenging and required several unique/custom parts so if anyone else wants to go this route I should be able to help.
Nice!!!
Yeah I would definitely love to see the write up on the Penske set up
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2020, 12:49 PM   #34
Hoosier_M3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Nice!!!
Thanks, hopefully this week!

Once Lime Rock gets back to normal we'll need to compare in person
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 02:01 PM   #35
nicksm3
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Nice!!!
Thanks, hopefully this week!

Once Lime Rock gets back to normal we'll need to compare in person
Yes!!! That would be great! Getting her ready as we speak for next weekend
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      06-17-2020, 07:40 AM   #36
Hoosier_M3
Private First Class
Rep

Looking like Friday is the big day! Got a couple updates from the shop on my roll cage and the completed suspension. Rather excited....

Appreciate 2
tsk941514.50
      06-20-2020, 04:35 PM   #37
Hoosier_M3
Private First Class
Rep

Got the car out at LRP yesterday and today for an initial shakedown. Wow. Going to the current setup from Ohlins R&T coilovers, a bolt-in roll bar, all OEM rubber bushings/mounts, and stock calipers/rotors was an even bigger change than I had expected. It's hard to find adequate words, but it feels like everything is multiplied by 10. I may put together some more profound thoughts on the comparison later on, but I'll start with the big positives and negatives. I fixate on identifying and fixing what's wrong vs. just enjoying what's right so this will seem skewed to the negative. All in all it was a phenomenal weekend.

Positives:

- The suspension is magical. It soaks up curbing/bumps better than my Ohlins ever did yet there's almost no body roll. We ended up making a few small tweaks Friday morning but left it for the afternoon and all of today. We'll need to make more changes when I move to a better tire but (liked I'd been concerned about in the other thread) it does not appear this will require as much trial and error as I'd initially expected.

-The brakes. With my stock calipers/rotors I'd brake between the 5 and 6 marker coming into 1 & 2 (for those that know LRP). And deal with fade at the end of longer sessions even after I stopped over-braking. Now running the APs with Pagid RSL-29s and brake cooling ducts there's absolutely zero fade. I went pretty easy on the brakes (especially since I've still got street ABS) and was comfortably braking around the 4. I can/will push that more next weekend.

-The cooling. It was high 80s (if not low 90s) and sunny. I had no issues all weekend with engine/coolant temps or the power steering/DCT overheating.

Negatives:

-This car really needs a tune and coding. Nothing has been done since we gutted it. I have more warnings than I can keep track of... but not SES light.

-The DCT. My DCT is in a weird mode where (in manual) it automatically shifts from 1-2 around 3k, does not want to downshift at high RPMs, and won't show the 6th bar with DSC off. This does not appear to be heat related or a mechanical issue since the DCT is shifting flawlessly and for around 60 seconds after we clear the codes will not exhibit this behavior. We will know Monday but I suspect it's a bad wheel speed sensor. Here's my thinking (would love any other ideas here)... the DSC is always off (I normally turn it off to drive and turn the car off with it off so didn't think about it until I started writing this. But in retrospect it was actually on when the car turned on then turned off when the other warnings popped up, which makes me think there's something causing that, and the little brake picture warning keeps popping up (which I'd been assuming was only related to all the brake modifications)). These two things along with the weird 1-2 shift were exactly what happened last time I had a wheel speed sensor go bad.

Lack of data and video. I need to invest in good data logging/video system. My Aim Solo died Friday and I forgot to charge it overnight so today was a flop w/r/t timing. Given the importance of data/video for coaching I need a good setup here.

Tires. I ran R888s left over from lest year (we were in a pinch and couldn't get NT01s in time) and they were clearly a limiting factor. The car is way too easy (and fun) to slide around with these on. I think I'll move to Toyo RRs next before stepping up to slicks. I'd like to stick with something a little more forgiving (and cheaper) for a bit longer. Any tire suggestions?

And a few pictures.

Appreciate 4
tsk941514.50
//steve\\1074.00
roastbeef11571.50
      06-21-2020, 07:50 AM   #38
WhiteM3EMC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 White M3 DCT

Quote:
Negatives:

-This car really needs a tune and coding. Nothing has been done since we gutted it. I have more warnings than I can keep track of... but not SES light.
Are you gonna do the coding yourself? There are a handful of threads on here that are helpful but if you've removed the side airbags etc there are a few things you need to do in addition to the things you'll find in the race seat coding thread.

It took me probably 3 days to figure out what I was doing, but now I find it quite simple and have been able to code out all the lights from my dash.

If you don't have someone you're already looking at for the tune, I'll drop a plug for the AlpineMSS tune. It's great.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 12:57 PM   #39
Hoosier_M3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteM3EMC View Post
Are you gonna do the coding yourself? There are a handful of threads on here that are helpful but if you've removed the side airbags etc there are a few things you need to do in addition to the things you'll find in the race seat coding thread.

It took me probably 3 days to figure out what I was doing, but now I find it quite simple and have been able to code out all the lights from my dash.

If you don't have someone you're already looking at for the tune, I'll drop a plug for the AlpineMSS tune. It's great.

Definitely not coding it myself. We need to make a few calls Monday but my shop has a local guy that did their GT4 and a few other customer cars, so the tentative plan is for him to sort the car out this week.

Really looking forward to life without the dash lights.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 01:04 PM   #40
WhiteM3EMC
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Definitely not coding it myself. We need to make a few calls Monday but my shop has a local guy that did their GT4 and a few other customer cars, so the tentative plan is for him to sort the car out this week.

Really looking forward to life without the dash lights.
It's a good life! You'll love it. I get semi bothered by the DSC light when I turn it off at the track
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2020, 01:12 PM   #41
aboutsize14
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92

I have a EPIC tune in my e92 and its amazing. They do a lot of tuning on BMW's. There out of FL I believe. They might be worth a call. Anyways, love this build!
Appreciate 2
      06-21-2020, 01:40 PM   #42
Hoosier_M3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
It's a good life! You'll love it. I get semi bothered by the DSC light when I turn it off at the track
That's a happy light, I love seeing it on my dash

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboutsize14 View Post
I have a EPIC tune in my e92 and its amazing. They do a lot of tuning on BMW's. There out of FL I believe. They might be worth a call. Anyways, love this build!
Thanks! I've heard great things about Epic and may go that route as well. He's top notch and has tuned a lot of seriously fast M3s.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 01:52 PM   #43
WhiteM3EMC
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That's a happy light, I love seeing it on my dash

Thanks! I've heard great things about Epic and may go that route as well. He's top notch and has tuned a lot of seriously fast M3s.
Pretty hard to go wrong with EPIC when Bimmerworld recommends them.

I suppose I can live with that one light on my dash.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 02:22 PM   #44
Hoosier_M3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Pretty hard to go wrong with EPIC when Bimmerworld recommends them.

I suppose I can live with that one light on my dash.
Couldn't agree more. They really like the tune they've got for the GT4 which is effectively same motor, so Plan A is to get a slightly adapted version of that map for my car. Plan B would be Epic.

I might start a separate thread but also need to think about upgrading the ABS. I don't think it's as big of an issue with the current tire setup but I would eventually like to get a proper motorsports ABS setup. I think this is just a flash as well?
Appreciate 0