BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

01-13-2020, 10:48 PM   #23
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former e92 M3 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRB_Mpower View Post
I have a bullet in my CF roof and it is peeling around it. I did an estimate through my insurance and they quoted $4700 to replace it. I still haven't done it. That was considered an incident (New years - someone shooting up in the air) so the insurance would cover it, not sure about it just peeling on its own.
This is amazing you need to get it re-cleared over. That’s crazy!!

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 08:35 PM   #24
KawBoy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Had to do mine.

CF Roof by Kaw Boy, on Flickr

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 10:17 PM   #25
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawBoy View Post
Had to do mine.

What'd you sand it down with? Did you send it all the way down to the bare carbon?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 06:27 PM   #26
LakeSurfer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: bicycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd********* View Post
Quote:
Had to do mine.

What'd you sand it down with? Did you send it all the way down to the bare carbon?
Not my post but I worked in aviation composites for a long time.

I would start with 300 grit sand paper and finish with 600. You'll know when you hit the "bare" carbon because the dust will be black. You have to pay attention because you can sand the carbon pretty good and you won't really notice until you clear it. That being said it's perfectly ok to sand a small amount of the carbon. It's also a good idea to sand off all the existing clear coat. Sometimes with bare carbon you'll be able to see where the old clear was underneath the new clear. This actually happened with my carbon grills that I recleared. Just a couple spots looked more yellowish in the sun.

Don't let it scare you, it's pretty forgiving stuff if you pay attention.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 07:08 PM   #27
KawBoy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Don't know whether or not you've clicked on the pics; they are actually clips.
My guy did the job, but you can see on the clip that carbon was removed.
I just don't know what grit he used. I do know, however, that he applied 4 coats of clear coat.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 07:36 PM   #28
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I just don't know what grit he used. I do know, however, that he applied 4 coats of clear coat.
Oh wow I saw the picture but it was a bit blurry, I see now that it's a sprayed black. I got some pretty nasty rock chips on the roof and I'm just wondering how long it takes to get that epoxy resin off and how difficult it is. It's not like traditional clear coat
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 08:19 PM   #29
LakeSurfer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Oh wow I saw the picture but it was a bit blurry, I see now that it's a sprayed black. I got some pretty nasty rock chips on the roof and I'm just wondering how long it takes to get that epoxy resin off and how difficult it is. It's not like traditional clear coat
It wouldn't be epoxy as a top coat. Epoxy has no UV protection. The epoxy is saturated in the fabric and an automotive clear coat is the final layer.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 08:33 PM   #30
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSurfer View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It wouldn't be epoxy as a top coat. Epoxy has no UV protection. The epoxy is saturated in the fabric and an automotive clear coat is the final layer.
I've talked to a few larger companies here in SoCal that have resprayed carbon Bmw roofs and they said it's not traditional clear coat, but they could be wrong I'm not sure to be honest
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 08:52 PM   #31
LakeSurfer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I've talked to a few larger companies here in SoCal that have resprayed carbon Bmw roofs and they said it's not traditional clear coat, but they could be wrong I'm not sure to be honest
Obviously I can't confirm what they used but hypothetically and realistically it wouldn't matter what they used as long as the surface was scuffed up enough for the new clear coat to mechanically bond.

I would ask that they, you or the body shop clear the entire roof and not try to blend the new clear.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 08:56 PM   #32
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by revengeismine View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMM3Y View Post
Double that!! It'll be more like $6k to replace. Pn 54108045327 for the roof skin. Glueing it it requires removal of both front and rear glass as well as disassembly of headliner assembly etc.

OP I doubt the carbon itself is cracked, probably just needs reclearing. That carbon is some real tough stuff
Yea the fiber itself is totally intact. Its just the clear. I will probably have my detailer gave it the ole college try. If it doesn't look any better, I will see what my insurance will provide for a reclearing or a total roof swap.

I have read that a ton of body shops don't want to touch carbon fiber roofs with just reclearing. I just found a few guys on here who have had their insurance pay for the repair and ultimately ended up replacing the whole roof rather than reclearing only.
I prepped mine myself and sent it to a buddy with a body shop, he only charged me $500 to further prep and spray three coats. It's not perfect but good enough for my ol' beater. Beats a peeling shitty looking roof.. but it's a 3-5 footer for sure..

I should add mine was pretty bad too.. the clever was coming off in yellow'd sheets.. I peeled it with a razor blade
      01-17-2020, 09:19 PM   #33
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Obviously I can't confirm what they used but hypothetically and realistically it wouldn't matter what they used as long as the surface was scuffed up enough for the new clear coat to mechanically bond.

I would ask that they, you or the body shop clear the entire roof and not try to blend the new clear.
Exactly, you can't blend that clear since you'll see the edges or wherever you feathered the clear off since there's no base coat. Gotta remove all the clear from the roof before re clearing. I might try to do that soon, my roof isn't in the best shape
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2020, 09:58 PM   #34
KawBoy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It wasn't sprayed black; on the second clip you can see that it is clear coat, urethane (iirc) bi-component.

Fibers (glass, carbon, etc..) usually use gel-coat.

All the clear coat was removed manually and then the roof was sandpapered (dry) with the orbital. The entire roof was coated. Take a look at the clip.
Appreciate 0