BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)
Closed Thread

02-23-2010, 11:21 AM   #45
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
I don't know if it will be info will make it in time for the Geneva show but AoA are making a very strong case to AudiAG for the RS5 among others to come to the US. I have an inkling that you might well see the car in the US within the next 6~9 months.

Fingers crossed.

P.S.
Did any of you not wonder why in the press release the mileage was not only mentioned in L/Km but US gallons as well.

Last edited by footie; 02-23-2010 at 11:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 12:23 PM   #46
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
I don't know if it will be info will make it in time for the Geneva show but AoA are making a very strong case to AudiAG for the RS5 among others to come to the US. I have an inkling that you might well see the car in the US within the next 6~9 months.

Fingers crossed.

P.S.
Did any of you not wonder why in the press release the mileage was not only mentioned in L/Km but US gallons as well.
Diesel A8s??????????????????
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 12:39 PM   #47
fxhomie
Mr. Bahnbnr
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A4, BMW 330Ci Conv. ZHP

New M3 fighter...

Audi RS5 - 450hp, 21.8 mpg

Name:  002.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  133.5 KB
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 12:55 PM   #48
mexicanmike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E93 Jerez Black

Repost, mods please merge.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 01:11 PM   #49
Leozap
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E90 M3

$90k for this RS5? I could get a used 911 turbo with that price.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 01:23 PM   #50
Archon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT AW/BLK

Quote:

Fingers crossed.

P.S.
A wild guess on the MPG....for the UK market?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 01:54 PM   #51
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicanmike View Post
Repost, mods please merge.
Done!

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 02:03 PM   #52
Archon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT AW/BLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leozap View Post
There is no USD price as it is uncertain it will come to the US market, take a look at the Audi UK vs Audi US website. No mention of the RS5 in the US site.

Also, you can't do the money conversion of the Euro Price of the RS5 or M3 for that matter to USD, doesn't translate like that.

However, what is certain is this from the press release:

"Sales of the Audi RS 5 will begin in the spring. Its basic price will be approximately 77,700 euros."

Base price is 77,700 euros!!!!! My expectations for this car has risen dramatically. It better slaughter the M3 in every performance category and on every track out there.....SLAUGHTER. Or else, Audi...sorry but....epic fail.

Last edited by Archon; 02-23-2010 at 02:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 02:09 PM   #53
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

or a used R8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leozap View Post
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 02:41 PM   #54
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
I don't have the German figures for an M3 at the moment but in the UK when one first looks at the M3 price vs the guesstimated price on the RS5 you instantly think whoo expensive. But then you look at the differences, in fact when you spec the M3 to the level of kit the RS5 will have you actually come up with a figure of £60k for the M3. Almost £8k over basic price so maybe the RS5 isn't as expensive as first thought.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 03:43 PM   #55
GnokGnik
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 997 C2S

No wonder so many of you were stricken...this thing is expensive!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 04:30 PM   #56
shiggy
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2009 M3

Quote:
Surely it's common knowledge that I have praised the M3 far more than I have ever complained about it. Two issues I have had with the M, a) the lag of the DCT and b) the lack of torque low down. The rest of the car was simply brilliant so why this belief of sour grapes??????????????????

I am passionate about 3 brands, Audi - BMW - Porsche, but ultimately I prefer awd over rwd so at times my posts might give the impression I am pro-Audi but that is only because I prefer awd and to take this further I prefer quattro to x-drive. I also prefer FI to N/A which I suppose up to now means I am less of a lover of M cars but the future is looking rosier and with the possibility of a Kers awd setup coming I can see me back to the brand in the not to distance future.
OH Man...I have read some funny shtuff on here....but this is funny!
99% of your posts is about Audi and how great Audi is and how much better Audi is...etc etc......I dont care and I find some of the things you write informative...but to write what you did above.....thats too funny!!!!
I agree with another member on here.....and willing to bet that you an employee of Audi!....your level of knowledge is more of that of typical fanboi....
2009 Jet Black E92 M3, DCT, Nav, Novillo Leather, PDC, EDC, BBS CHR's 20", Yokohama Advan Sports Tires, Eiback Pro-Kit Springs, Dinan Pullies and Dinan Stage1 software, black grills, black side gills, alcantara shift and ebrake boot.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 04:35 PM   #57
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
your level of knowledge is more of that of typical fanboi....
+1
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 07:57 PM   #58
tnt007
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: black e92 dct m3

Quote:
What if I told you it doesn't behave like a fwd car?
What if I told you it doesn't behave like any other front engined quattro car?
In fact what if I told you that when combined with it's specially programmed sportsdiff it behaves much, much closer to that of a rwd car?

Are you interested yet?
nope, cant fight physics
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 08:27 PM   #59
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon View Post
There is no USD price as it is uncertain it will come to the US market, take a look at the Audi UK vs Audi US website. No mention of the RS5 in the US site.

Also, you can't do the money conversion of the Euro Price of the RS5 or M3 for that matter to USD, doesn't translate like that.

However, what is certain is this from the press release:

"Sales of the Audi RS 5 will begin in the spring. Its basic price will be approximately 77,700 euros."

Base price is 77,700 euros!!!!! My expectations for this car has risen dramatically. It better slaughter the M3 in every performance category and on every track out there.....SLAUGHTER. Or else, Audi...sorry but....epic fail.
Agreed that the simple conversion doesn't work. However, Audi has always seemed to price higher, at least up here in Canada. My buddy paid $110K for his '07 RS4....$35K more than my F....and $20K more than a similarly equipped M3....so I would expect that the new RS5 would be well north of the previous RS4.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 12:36 AM   #60
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
OH Man...I have read some funny shtuff on here....but this is funny!
99% of your posts is about Audi and how great Audi is and how much better Audi is...etc etc......I dont care and I find some of the things you write informative...but to write what you did above.....thats too funny!!!!
I agree with another member on here.....and willing to bet that you an employee of Audi!....your level of knowledge is more of that of typical fanboi....
Yes I am more knowledgable than most here and yes my knowledge of what Audi have and will have in the future is probably well ahead of most others, but I also know more than most about BMW products as well. If you think I am an employee for Audi then that's fine by me, believe what you will.

I don't agree with your percentage of posts relating to Audi, yes is true at the moment because of the release of the RS5, it's hot news at the moment and it's a subject I know a lot about so will steer people's opinions of the product in the right direct, especially their belief of a nose heavy monster that understeers every where.

My opinion of a fanboy is clearly different to yours, I believe when someone debates the merits of two products, comparing the plus points and negative points, showing where one might be better than another yet still praising the other isn't the signs of a fanboy, it's just someone with an enthusiasm of all things with four wheels and an engine. In my opinion someone who says nothing constructive to say and dismisses everything other than the brand they currently drive, well that is a Fanboy.

Ever looked in the mirror lately.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 05:48 AM   #61
TCas
Enlisted Member
Finland
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

BMW M3 and RS5

Hi,

a comment here from the middle of the snow (1 - 1,5 meters in southern Finland). I would gladly change my 330i to RS5 during the winter and during the summer BMW kicks ass.

I have had Audi's before but for some reason the BMW just feels better. It is not a better product as such but it is a matter of taste. The old A4 was build better than the new A4. And E90 is better built than E46 - just my opinion.

Will RS5 kick M3's but - yes it will. But in my mind you need to compare the M3 to S5 / S4 because they are in the same price group. The RS5 is more of a show case to Audi and way to kick BMW and Merc in the nuts. If you need to do comparisons then compare M3 CSL to RS4.

And please lets not even talk about making M3's a four by four. Four wheel drive is meant to off road vehicles .
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 06:11 AM   #62
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCas View Post

Will RS5 kick M3's but - yes it will. But in my mind you need to compare the M3 to S5 / S4 because they are in the same price group. The RS5 is more of a show case to Audi and way to kick BMW and Merc in the nuts. If you need to do comparisons then compare M3 CSL to RS4.
The RS5 will kick no M3 ass....the 200lbs more will make the extra 30 ponies in RS5 sweat heavily while hauling Audi's fat ass.

In the best case for RS5, the two cars would be evenly matched.
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 07:03 AM   #63
kalare
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

Uh...I didn't know the weight of the RS5 was released yet...You're all so sure it's 200# heavier based on S5, but ever think Audi might lighten it up? Audi hate in here is ridiculous, why not just enjoy the car for what it is? I think it's hilarious the amount of Audi bashing in BMW forums...it's not reciprocated in Audi forums...and I'm no Audi fanboy. M3 has been my favorite car for the last 15 years.

Instead of crying about how it'll be slower or faster, why don't you guys all just chill out and wait a month or two for some lap times. Till then, you're all just pulling things out of nowhere. I hope it wipes the floor with M3 because it would mean there's just one more great car out and the auto industry is moving forward. Why everyone hope Audi fails is beyond me. Just because you love BMW doesn't mean you have to hate everything else...just plain stupid.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 07:19 AM   #64
cap_freez
Lead, follow, or get the hell out of my way
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 X3, 2013 RS5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalare View Post
Uh...I didn't know the weight of the RS5 was released yet...You're all so sure it's 200# heavier based on S5, but ever think Audi might lighten it up? Audi hate in here is ridiculous, why not just enjoy the car for what it is? I think it's hilarious the amount of Audi bashing in BMW forums...it's not reciprocated in Audi forums...and I'm no Audi fanboy. M3 has been my favorite car for the last 15 years.

Instead of crying about how it'll be slower or faster, why don't you guys all just chill out and wait a month or two for some lap times. Till then, you're all just pulling things out of nowhere. I hope it wipes the floor with M3 because it would mean there's just one more great car out and the auto industry is moving forward. Why everyone hope Audi fails is beyond me. Just because you love BMW doesn't mean you have to hate everything else...just plain stupid.
+1000
      02-24-2010, 07:46 AM   #65
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
Quote:

Thank you for the words of reason. I am sure there are quite a few (the silent majority) who do appreciate the merits of both brands.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 08:19 AM   #66
frenchM3dreamer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 Mitsu Eclipse Spyder GTP

Quote:
Uh...

good words my friend !!!
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread