BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

10-12-2011, 04:28 PM   #133
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Glad you found the thread EVO350, I actually meant to point you here in one of my responses in your other thread.

To answer your question, no, I don't think anyone has confirmed that getting the simplified MDrive is just a matter of a software flash.

As I said in my last post, though, I am prepared to give it a try (keeping in mind the risks as discussed in this thread). I think the first step is to modify the VO to specify that the car has MDrive.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 04:30 PM   #134
rhouck
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

I PMed Andy (BMWM.D.) but no response (which isn't too surprising given that his initial offer to tinker was ~2 years ago!).

Not sure anyone has really taken a look at it recently...
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 01:14 PM   #135
z335is
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

I'm interested in this as well....

Heading to the dealership today, I'll run this by them and see if they have any insight.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 03:19 PM   #136
z335is
Lieutenant
Rep

Well I talked to my CA over the weekend and he said it IS in fact possible to retrofit the m button features. He said someone has already done so to his knowledge. He said it involves a flash and actually changing the steering wheel to one with the m button. Why the wheel needs to be changed I don't know....

I know we have to take this with a grain of salt coming from a salesman, but he was very emphatic about it.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 12:38 AM   #137
rhouck
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by z335is View Post
Well I talked to my CA over the weekend and he said it IS in fact possible to retrofit the m button features. He said someone has already done so to his knowledge. He said it involves a flash and actually changing the steering wheel to one with the m button. Why the wheel needs to be changed I don't know....

I know we have to take this with a grain of salt coming from a salesman, but he was very emphatic about it.
Did you ask who did the flash? That appears to be the biggest missing piece to the puzzle...
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 12:47 AM   #138
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhouck View Post
Did you ask who did the flash? That appears to be the biggest missing piece to the puzzle...
It may involve a flash but the steering wheel replacement isn't necessary.

This has been on my list of things to do, hopefully in a few weeks I will have more time to take a look into it and provide MDM retrofits.

Remember, "M Drive" and MDM are not the same thing.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 07:13 AM   #139
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Interesting. Thanks for reporting this. Sounds promising, at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post

This has been on my list of things to do, hopefully in a few weeks I will have more time to take a look into it and provide MDM retrofits.
That would be awesome.

Quote:
Right, but how would one activate MDM without the M Button? Well I mean, there are a number of ways I could imagine it being done I suppose, but none as straightforward as just making the button on the wheel function like an M Button (like it does in a car with MDrive). However, if you could make it available by holding down the DSC button (for example), that would be awesome.

Very interested to know what you have in mind...
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 03:47 PM   #140
z335is
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

He did not mention that piece of it. He did say that the guy who had it done lives in Maryland.

I also asked if there were any mechanical changes that needed to be made and he said it was purely a software flash / upgrade. I wish I had more info, but unfortunately I don't. At the very least, it sounds like this can be done, which is encouraging.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 04:55 PM   #141
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by username11 View Post
Doesn't the car flash the DSC lamp when it is correcting? I've open seen it once or twice on the street and only during a particularly aggressive shift in the wet where I was glad it was there to help. Maybe I'm just really smooth but without MDM I can enter corners at retarded speeds, power out of them aggressively, and never break traction.

To be honest, I find it hard to get the car accidentally sideways even with DSC off and not on public roads. I basically have to 'try' which is certainly not the case with other cars I have driven. I have Conti3s with probably 75% of tread remaining. My overriding impression of the car is that is has an incredible amount of grip. I am waiting for the tires to wear more.

So with that said with the limits of the car so high with DSC on I am pretty impressed you guys are getting MDM to be of any benefit on public roads.
The DSC lamp won't flash at you sometimes when it is correcting for you. With DSC fully engaged, it will cut your throttle BEFORE the car is even close to breaking loose so you never lose traction in the first place.

I've done this many times before. Go WOT from a stop in first gear on a slick surface, the car will accelerate smoothly and no DSC light flashing but you notice the car is noticably slower. Do the same thing with MDM or DSC off and you'll get a lot of wheel spin. Same thing happens in corners, it'll decrease your throttle appropriately prior to losing traction so you can be flooring it through a corner and the car fixes all your mistakes for you. Do the same with DSC off and you'll go spinning off the road.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 05:11 PM   #142
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tightie View Post
Wow, now I'm happy I have iDrive
I'm happy I DO NOT have iDrive ... more fun driving less distractions

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 11:21 PM   #143
rhouck
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Very cool! Hopefully you have good luck

Quote:
He did not mention that piece of it. He did say that the guy who had it done lives in Maryland.

I also asked if there were any mechanical changes that needed to be made and he said it was purely a software flash / upgrade. I wish I had more info, but unfortunately I don't. At the very least, it sounds like this can be done, which is encouraging.
Good news if that is all accurate, now you just have to bribe him to give you the guy's name/number
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 11:36 AM   #144
z335is
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Very cool! Hopefully you have good luck

Quote:

Good news if that is all accurate, now you just have to bribe him to give you the guy's name/number
Lol, I tried to pry that info from him believe me. I was hoping the guy might be on these forums and would come out of the woodwork, I guess not though.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 12:00 PM   #145
ShadeD1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 xDrive 35i

This would be awesome

Quote:

Heading to the dealership today, I'll run this by them and see if they have any insight.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 12:11 PM   #146
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

Quote:

update?

F80 ///M3 6MT Avus Blue ZCP
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 02:31 PM   #147
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDy80 View Post
+1
Um, no. Instead of replying to a post from two years ago, you may want to read the thread, especially the last page.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 03:42 PM   #148
jrlee53
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Um, no. Instead of replying to a post from two years ago, you may want to read the thread, especially the last page.
Sorry I retract

2003 Cobra -> 2010 BMW e90 M3 - Space Grey - Black on Carbon Leather Int. - BRILLIANT CAR!!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 05:41 PM   #149
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDy80 View Post
Sorry I retract
No sweat, all good.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 03:41 PM   #150
blinkme323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

I'm VERY interested in this. I'll be glad to help with whatever it takes to get this done.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 02:00 PM   #151
z335is
Lieutenant
Rep

I might get a separate thread going on this to see if I can pull this guy out of the woodwork if he's on the forum. Otherwise I might have to "bribe" my CA for his contact info.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 02:02 PM   #152
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
The DSC lamp won't flash at you sometimes when it is correcting for you. With DSC fully engaged, it will cut your throttle BEFORE the car is even close to breaking loose so you never lose traction in the first place.

I've done this many times before. Go WOT from a stop in first gear on a slick surface, the car will accelerate smoothly and no DSC light flashing but you notice the car is noticably slower. Do the same thing with MDM or DSC off and you'll get a lot of wheel spin. Same thing happens in corners, it'll decrease your throttle appropriately prior to losing traction so you can be flooring it through a corner and the car fixes all your mistakes for you. Do the same with DSC off and you'll go spinning off the road.
You are correct that DSC will activate without blinking the light at times. If it simply has to perform quick throttle modulation, the light will usually not blink. Once it has to apply brakes or perform other actions, then you will get the flashing light.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 03:17 PM   #153
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
You are correct that DSC will activate without blinking the light at times. If it simply has to perform quick throttle modulation, the light will usually not blink. Once it has to apply brakes or perform other actions, then you will get the flashing light.
I have Power and DSC why do this lights go on by themselves from time to time ... I am kinda wondering ... guess I need to go thru the manual and figure that out

Perhaps has to do with my up and down shift characteristic ... I have no iDrive or M button ..

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 05:32 AM   #154
EVO350
Private
Rep
Drives: EVO X

Any updates yet on this guys?
Appreciate 0