BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

12-23-2009, 08:25 PM   #111
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Just a quick update: I've gone as far as my technical skills allow on this.

If anyone is still interested, and want to explore further, an investment or access to better electronic equipment (and skillset to match) is required.

Another option would be for someone to contact BMWM.D. if they're in the Santa Barbara area or willing to drive there. In this thread Andy (BMWM.D.) said he might be able to help a bit. < Link to Post > Might be worth it to PM him and see if he can still help if anyone is interested in taking this further....

Last edited by Finnegan; 12-23-2009 at 10:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 12:57 PM   #112
FrenchBoy
Lieutenant Colonel
France
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 M3

Reviving an old thread...

Now that MDM is available standard without iDrive (as of 2011 MY), can anyone think of a way to retrofit MDM to pre-2011 non iDrive M3?

What parts from an pre-2011 non iDrive M3 would have to be updated?

Thanks,

Current: 2016 F80 M3 6-Speed | SO | AB XT1 | ZCP | M Performance Suspension | GC Camber Plates
Previous: 2009 E90 M3
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 01:50 PM   #113
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Frenchboy, what about Finnegan's final post above suggesting BMW M.D. might be of some assistance? He's a good distance from you, but much closer than me. Or even better, surely there must be someone in SoCal with no MDrive who could volunteer their car for a little exploratory surgery? I know I would do it if I lived out that way...

By the way - just a nitpick - MDrive is standard as of 2011.5, not 2011.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 03:44 PM   #114
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

wow, generally, you would need to swap out an entire ECU and diff unit at a minimum, I don't think you can simply swap out your ECU. This would be very complex job. Think of the wiring headaches involved in doing it, and I have a feeling BMW may force you to electronically mate your new ECU to your current engine.

Just for a reference, my old Evo had a mechanical center diff, and to swap it out with an active electronic unit, you needed to do the ECU and the entire set of front, center, and rear diffs (of course this was a AWD car). And this is a unit that did not interact brakes into the system.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 03:52 PM   #115
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

I just fact-checked "no iDrive = no MDM" issue with someone who has 2011.5 model w/ no iDrive, and he says his car goes into MDM mode when he pushes the M button and that, apparently, all models past 2011.5 have it.
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 04:06 PM   #116
lve2xlr8
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

It would be awesome if companies could write varying software for dsc systems custom tailored to mods wheels tires weight distribution etc and allow selectability like newer ferraris. Probably super expensive with high liability though.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 04:21 PM   #117
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
wow, generally, you would need to swap out an entire ECU and diff unit at a minimum, I don't think you can simply swap out your ECU. This would be very complex job. Think of the wiring headaches involved in doing it, and I have a feeling BMW may force you to electronically mate your new ECU to your current engine.

Just for a reference, my old Evo had a mechanical center diff, and to swap it out with an active electronic unit, you needed to do the ECU and the entire set of front, center, and rear diffs (of course this was a AWD car). And this is a unit that did not interact brakes into the system.
After reading this I feel like you are very confused. But maybe I am? Do you understand that MDM refers to a DSC program, and not a mechanical differential or any other mechanical part of the car? All M3s have the same differential, aside from the gear ratio which differs between DCT and 6MT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
I just fact-checked "no iDrive = no MDM" issue with someone who has 2011.5 model w/ no iDrive, and he says his car goes into MDM mode when he pushes the M button and that, apparently, all models past 2011.5 have it.
Yep, that is absolutely true. That is what Frenchboy was referring to in his thread-reviving post. Notice, this thread is very old - far pre-dating any knowledge of the new simplified MDrive for 2011.5.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 04:41 PM   #118
FrenchBoy
Lieutenant Colonel
France
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Frenchboy, what about Finnegan's final post above suggesting BMW M.D. might be of some assistance? He's a good distance from you, but much closer than me. Or even better, surely there must be someone in SoCal with no MDrive who could volunteer their car for a little exploratory surgery? I know I would do it if I lived out that way...

By the way - just a nitpick - MDrive is standard as of 2011.5, not 2011.
You're right, I am only 1,125 miles away from BMWM.D. Much closer than your 2,345 miles!

Kidding aside, it would be interesting if a Santa Barbara local could get in touch with BMWM.D. In all honesty, I am more curious than anything else.
I am not sure I would have a strong use for MDM, I have gotten use to turning DSC off altogether at the track and find the car very easy and predictable to drive without DSC interference. I actually think it probably makes me a better driver.

Still, it would be nice to have the option.

Current: 2016 F80 M3 6-Speed | SO | AB XT1 | ZCP | M Performance Suspension | GC Camber Plates
Previous: 2009 E90 M3
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 07:27 PM   #119
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
Thanks. I was wondering how it was wtih 2011.5 cars. Is it one push for MDM and push and hold for DSC off?
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 06:47 AM   #120
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Thanks. I was wondering how it was wtih 2011.5 cars. Is it one push for MDM and push and hold for DSC off?
No, the DSC button still functions as it does on any other M3. That is to say that it can only turn DSC off completely and back on again. So you still have to use the M button to activate MDM mode (and Servotronic sport mode, as well). The difference between a 2011.5 car with and without IDrive is that for the latter the M button is hard coded to these settings. Power, EDC (if equipped), and Drivelogic (if equipped) settings are still programmable for the latter by holding down the M Button.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 06:50 AM   #121
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchBoy View Post
You're right, I am only 1,125 miles away from BMWM.D. Much closer than your 2,345 miles!
Well that's less than half. Not exactly in your back yard, though, no.

Quote:
Still, it would be nice to have the option.
Yep.

So any volunteers?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 09:51 AM   #122
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

How about MDM on an M3 with idrive? I have the idrive but no ZTP car is an 08 sedan i guess the original owner didnt want the headaches of M drive...

F80 ///M3 6MT Avus Blue ZCP
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 10:09 AM   #123
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sikbmr View Post
How about MDM on an M3 with idrive? I have the idrive but no ZTP car is an 08 sedan i guess the original owner didnt want the headaches of M drive...
Similar situation, yeah. I suspect that if the VO solution discussed earlier in this thread did turn out to work, then in your case it would also give you the MDrive screens in IDrive. It would perhaps require a software reflash first. That's a lot of speculation on my part though.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 05:14 PM   #124
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldorian View Post
This would be a great project for someone with knowledge of the BMW drive systems. I'd definately pay for it.
So would I pay for it that is

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 12:17 AM   #125
rhouck
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
So any volunteers?
Since this thread was already bumped today, I figure I'll respond to it.

I'm somewhat in the area and, if there was still interest and the opportunity, could probably work out heading up that way for a bit.

Otherwise I'll continue to try and survive without MDM
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 09:04 PM   #126
dasvolk
The King of Speeding
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, F90 M5C

Garage List
2006 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by username11 View Post
I know this is an old thread but can someone (or the original poster) elaborate on this? All MDM is a less intrusive DSC mode, right? Am I missing something? Why would anyone drive with it on all the time on the street? Why would you want anything less than full DSC on while driving on public roads?
Trade your car in for a Camry, why don't you?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 01:38 PM   #127
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

i use mdm everyday. i push my m button right after i push the start button. its still is fairly intrusive if you are trying to get wildly sideways but under normal spirited driving you arent going to injure yourself or others unless you really cant drive at all. ive used it on a wet track and gotten a little out of shape but it is a good step between full off and on. with it on you have no feedback of how you are driving, the car is fixing all your overdone throttle inputs rather than you learning how to do it properly.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 02:41 PM   #128
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

I agree with username. At least around where I live, there's not enough space and too many cars for MDM unless it's late or really early.
On the track, it's the perfect setting for most people. Even my instructor uses it when she's on track.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."

Last edited by aus; 09-25-2011 at 08:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 02:42 PM   #129
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

on the track with dsc on it intervenes all over the place the mdm much less so. i dont find a need for full off because mdm allows enough wiggle room that unless i make a big mistake in which case i need it, dsc wont intervene and i can just drive hard with a little safety net.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 01:25 AM   #130
rhouck
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

For the reasons discussed above, MDM seems like it would be nice to have, at least some of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sikbmr View Post
^ this is my situation (iDrive but no MDM); so no newer ideas on retrofitting?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 09:16 AM   #131
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

My car is now out of warranty, so I am game as far as tweaking the VOD and trying to install 2011.5 IDrive-less MDrive software.

There are of course some concerns as discussed in this thread over the years, but right now my most basic question is - can the button on the wheel support the necessary M button functionality (hold down to program, etc), or will the hardware need an upgrade?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 03:02 PM   #132
EVO350
Private
Rep
Drives: EVO X

Just came across this thread, I'd also be very interested in retrofitting the new simplified Mdrive on my car. I know this has already been discussed earlier in the thread, but has anyone actually confirmed that the new Mdrive is anything more than a flash? If it's just a flash, then I assume this would be relatively easy.
Appreciate 0