BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

02-09-2022, 04:42 AM   #67
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
What is your opinion on challenge sport x pipe? They run the cats near the secondary section.
I love the power of catless x pipe but the smell factor gets old pretty quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I haven't heard of anyone messing up secondary cats by tracking the car. I wouldn't worry
      02-09-2022, 01:06 PM   #68
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
What is your opinion on challenge sport x pipe? They run the cats near the secondary section.
I love the power of catless x pipe but the smell factor gets old pretty quick.
I can't stand catless, but I've had multiple friends get BW xpipes and then buy gesi cats and have them welded in after the x. You get almost all the power of the catless xpipe but without so much smell.

No idea which cats the challenge xpipe uses, but where is their x? Unless it's up front I'm not interested.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 01:25 PM   #69
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

Quote:
I can't stand catless, but I've had multiple friends get BW xpipes and then buy gesi cats and have them welded in after the x. You get almost all the power of the catless xpipe but without so much smell.

No idea which cats the challenge xpipe uses, but where is their x? Unless it's up front I'm not interested.
standard location.

i want a BW xpipe but i can't buy it from them anymore new sadge.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 01:35 PM   #70
MaximusB
Major
Rep
Drives: 13 Frozen White E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgzirra_exe View Post
standard location.

i want a BW xpipe but i can't buy it from them anymore new sadge.
Ship it to a friend or family in another state or in Canada, then have them send it to you?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 01:44 PM   #71
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusB View Post
Ship it to a friend or family in another state or in Canada, then have them send it to you?
they actually wont sell you a new one anymore unless you have a "race" car lol. aka un registered to for street use.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 01:56 PM   #72
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
they actually wont sell you a new one anymore unless you have a "race" car lol. aka un registered to for street use.
Welcome to the EPA enforcement era...
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 01:58 PM   #73
MaximusB
Major
Rep
Drives: 13 Frozen White E92

Quote:
What if I'm in Canada? Which I am.

I am legit asking because I am looking to add an x-pipe in the near future.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 02:09 PM   #74
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusB View Post
What if I'm in Canada? Which I am.

I am legit asking because I am looking to add an x-pipe in the near future.
No issues with you in that case.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 02:22 PM   #75
neilum
Captain
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3

Quote:

Curious why there wouldn't be any interest in a non-forward x pipe.

Is it reliability or power?

If the latter how much, truly? This is not a track car I just want it to sound good, gain a little power and not break anything. I am not chasing any particular power goal personally but I am always looking to learn something!

This also may be of interest to this community as a general discussion because the xpipe and idea behind this thread is pretty much thrown out the window now. I've read about the preference for forward oriented xpipes, but never saw specifics as to why, just general ideas i.e, better scavenging of exhaust gases and a little more power but the negatives are more rasp.

Great thread, and either way I will post a clip in here when I get my setup done with the RKP sport. ACM is installing everything on the 21st of the month.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 02:45 PM   #76
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilum View Post
Curious why there wouldn't be any interest in a non-forward x pipe.

Is it reliability or power?

If the latter how much, truly? This is not a track car I just want it to sound good, gain a little power and not break anything. I am not chasing any particular power goal personally but I am always looking to learn something!

This also may be of interest to this community as a general discussion because the xpipe and idea behind this thread is pretty much thrown out the window now. I've read about the preference for forward oriented xpipes, but never saw specifics as to why, just general ideas i.e, better scavenging of exhaust gases and a little more power but the negatives are more rasp.

Great thread, and either way I will post a clip in here when I get my setup done with the RKP sport. ACM is installing everything on the 21st of the month.
The forward xpipe gives you more power. In a NA engine, every horse you get is like watching grass grow so I don't see a reason to buy product X instead of Y when one of the two gives me a bit of free power
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 02:05 PM   #77
CravingBavaria
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [9.67]
Coming back with some more thoughts after a little more time driving with the setup.

First and foremost, the car sounds even better than before. The "rasp" that is left is perfect and not obnoxious at all, even when the car is cold (cold-start is a little raspy of course). My x-pipe is used so I'm curious if it was the HFC's settling in that makes this difference. Either way, it does sound like perfect now.

Power wise, the car feels FAST AF. Power delivery feels so much smoother and you can feel a torque increase.

I had one little electronic hiccup yesterday. As most probably experience, this car if you floor it even stock, traction control will kick in with the 1st to 2nd shift (DCT w/ the GTS tune likely adds to this, but...). If I'm going flat out in a straight I always turn TC off. So I forgot to turn TC off on a pull, the car flipped out when I shifted into second and it felt like it cut the power and dropped the RPM's, and then went into neutral (?).... Assuming I would be in second I kept my foot on the gas and the car revved pretty high.

I think I'm going to add the Euro MDM to my Alpine tune and see if it helps alleviate TC kicking in during straight-line pulls. I was not happy with what happened, and I don't want to feel like I have to drive with TC off all the time.
      02-10-2022, 03:20 PM   #78
neilum
Captain
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingBavaria View Post
Coming back with some more thoughts after a little more time driving with the setup.

First and foremost, the car sounds even better than before. The "rasp" that is left is perfect and not obnoxious at all, even when the car is cold (cold-start is a little raspy of course). My x-pipe is used so I'm curious if it was the HFC's settling in that makes this difference. Either way, it does sound like perfect now.

Power wise, the car feels FAST AF. Power delivery feels so much smoother and you can feel a torque increase.

I had one little electronic hiccup yesterday. As most probably experience, this car if you floor it even stock, traction control will kick in with the 1st to 2nd shift (DCT w/ the GTS tune likely adds to this, but...). If I'm going flat out in a straight I always turn TC off. So I forgot to turn TC off on a pull, the car flipped out when I shifted into second and it felt like it cut the power and dropped the RPM's, and then went into neutral (?).... Assuming I would be in second I kept my foot on the gas and the car revved pretty high.

I think I'm going to add the Euro MDM to my Alpine tune and see if it helps alleviate TC kicking in during straight-line pulls. I was not happy with what happened, and I don't want to feel like I have to drive with TC off all the time.

Euro MDM is a must have! It allows more way more aggressive driving before TC kicks in. If you are in the mood to really drive and push the car a little its almost not even worth the time without Euro MDM. I had it with my DCT Alpine tuned E90 and couldn't recommend it enough.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 02:14 PM   #79
CravingBavaria
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilum View Post
Euro MDM is a must have! It allows more way more aggressive driving before TC kicks in. If you are in the mood to really drive and push the car a little its almost not even worth the time without Euro MDM. I had it with my DCT Alpine tuned E90 and couldn't recommend it enough.
Thanks for confirming my thoughts lol, it's on my to-do list now!
      02-11-2022, 02:21 PM   #80
//steve\\
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

If anyone finds a way to purchase the BW xpipe I'm interested as well.

MDM is first thing I turn off as soon as I get in the car. It's programmed to my M button to disable DSC.
      02-20-2022, 11:44 PM   #81
x Spades x
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingBavaria View Post

Send Alex from Alpine a note. You have a forward x pipe, so you need a special Stage 2 tune from him. What you are describing, sounds like you possibly got a regular stage 2 tune, vs the special forward x tune. I think once you get that, your power deliver issue will go away.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2022, 12:19 AM   #82
x Spades x
Lieutenant
Rep

So wanted opinions... HFC w/quad resonators (weld in 2 additional 12 inch resonators in sec position) or quad HFCs (weld 300 cell GESI cats in sec position)?

Looking for a hitch pitched, smooth hollow sound, with zero rasp (setup currently has no drone).
Attached Images

Last edited by x Spades x; 03-20-2022 at 01:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2022, 12:51 PM   #83
x Spades x
Lieutenant
Rep

Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2022, 02:20 PM   #84
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by x Spades x View Post
Anyone?
This one might be close to what you're looking for.. YouTube has many comparison videos from years ago..

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showpo...4&postcount=27

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=516467
'08 E92 M3 DCT Melbourne Red/Bamboo Beige Leather/EDC/SSP Spec-R DCT clutch discs/SSP Pro-Gold DCT Fluid/Quaife LSD/3:45 Final Drive by Diffs Online/BE Bearings & ARP Bolts/Vibra Technics Engine Mounts/M3 World HFC X-Pipe/LUX H8 180/BPM Sport DCT Tune/PFC Z-Rated Pads/ECS Brass Brake Caliper Bushings/Alex Shop Solid Sub-frame Bushings/Motul 600/Tint
Appreciate 2
      02-28-2022, 04:42 PM   #85
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x Spades x View Post
So I have the ESS Tuning x pipe (HFCs in primary pos and dual resonators- forward x) and im looking to either add two more resonators or HFCs in the secondary position. I have rasp when up/downshifting shifting in between 2-4k rpms, which kill the sound for me... WOT is amazing. The setup is tamed at part throttle and around town... but the downshifts let of a GODLY rasp that I'm not feeling. I dont know how you guys do it, as the ESS has the biggest resonators I've seen on any xpipe (13 inches long, 3.5 inches in diameter).

So wanted opinions... HFC w/quad resonators (weld in 2 additional 12 inch resonators in sec position) or quad HFCs (weld 300 cell GESI cats in sec position)?

Looking for a hitch pitched, smooth hollow sound, with zero rasp (setup currently has no drone).

ESS Tuning xpipe, Meisterschaft GTC exhaust.
]
I have 300 cell GESI cats in the secondary position in my ESS xpipe.
My primary position has hollowed out cats as they failed at the track.

And yes, the ESS resonators are much bigger than anything else I've seen.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 12:03 PM   #86
jp1984
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: an E92

I can start a new thread for this, but I don't like to be a person that just posts

"tell me what to buy!" threads.

So the Bimmerworld X Pipe is out, they wont sell it.

Gintani and ESS are OOP are hard to come by, MRF ever more.

Are there any other good options for a forward facing x pipe? The closest I can fine are like stainless steel akra rip offs with an H bridge.

Absent these choices, what would be next? To me, the ones that seem most readily available is the Macht Snell, the RKP, and the Akra ($$$)

Are those the realistic options here? I can't believe there is not one good front X option, the valvtronic stuff is junk and I don't want to commit full on headers and back, plus also $$$.

As the most seemenly lively X Pipe thread, What would everyone else say?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 12:22 PM   #87
//steve\\
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Has anyone ever just tried to have a good fabrication shop make one? Doesn't seem like it's rocket science especially if you just reference the existing known good forward X options.
      03-01-2022, 02:05 PM   #88
jp1984
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: an E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by //steve\\ View Post
Has anyone ever just tried to have a good fabrication shop make one? Doesn't seem like it's rocket science especially if you just reference the existing known good forward X options.
I have seen people mention it, but not necessarily anyone that has done it and posted, as far as I could find anyways.

This was brought up before in an MRF thread, someone was saying "Send me the exact specs I can bring it to an exhaust shop and have them made.

Dont think anything came about it, the community may have shot down the idea.

I have heard custom x pipes are more popular in Europe. I dont know that for fact though.
Appreciate 0