BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

09-06-2011, 05:57 PM   #45
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Hire me as your bodyguard. I'll gladly kick his ass
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 08:28 PM   #46
DREAM3R
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2001 s2000 for now

good luck brother, my best wishes go out to you and your gorgeous car!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 09:01 PM   #47
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

I would get a lawyer and file a complain against the cops. If anything happens in the future, there will be documentation of what they did and can be used against them. In an ideal world, there should be no scumbags like that in the streets, but is inevitable and getting the cops to stop doing stupid things is more feasible (believe it or not). I would even sue them and get a new security system at home.

I wouldn't go after the guy-as you see, he has been arrested multiple times and he is free, causing trouble. I would just get your insurance to pay for the damages and call it a day. The sole fact he has your address doesn't really matter as he can go to any fancy neighborhood and choose a victim. BUT, if you go against him, then he may try to ¨fight you back".

I'm so sorry this happened to you and
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 10:01 PM   #48
MysticBlue
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '20 M5C, '09 M3 DCT Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by askharjoon View Post
Its sad how many people react by recommending buying a gun as the answer.
What's sad is what our criminal justice system has become. Nearly all victims of serious crimes were victimized by someone with a long history of criminal behavior and by any measure of common sense, should still be in jail or prison, thus the serious crime would not have happened. There are a lot of seriously anti-social, worthless criminals who do not respect your life or your property out there who should be in jail, but aren't. I won't go into what type of politics has brought us to this point... anyone with any common sense can fill in the blank.
That sir is what is sad.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 10:09 PM   #49
donovan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: R8 - Ford Raptor

Learn the laws of trespassing in your state, so if he shows up you can shoot him without going to jail.

If you can, put the car in the garage and rent a vehicle for a few days to through off the illusion that you dont own a m3. Let your immediate family know and anyone coming to your house in next couple weeks for their security.

subscribed... seriously get a weapon if you can afford it. If not, ensure your vehicle is out of sight for a few days and if you can rent a vehicle and put your car else where. Protect your assets and family.

Hope all works out man Dont be scared to save your life and family from an idiot. I hope you owe a set of balls

Audi R8 v10
Ford Raptor
m3e46freak@yahoo.comfor all euro parts!!
ebay/craigslist verified/ m3post/e46fanantics/m3forum/zpost/bimmerforum
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 12:40 AM   #50
boothguy
Piacere di Guidare
Rep
Drives: '11 E93 M3, 5-11 ED

Admittedly, a very difficult and unusual situation - my sympathies for sure. Clearly, stay as far removed from the accident resolution/ claim situation as possible and let your insurance company handle it. The lower your profile, the better.

Hard to be sure from your pic, but the damage doesn't look extensive at all. I'd honestly be surprised if it was more than $2,000, but again, hard to see what the damage might be beyond the scuffed bumper cover. Clearly, your bigger concern is what this individual is likely to do if and when he focuses on you - which of course may never happen. But naturally, that doesn't make you sleep any better right now.

Sad to say, but some years ago, I found myself in a situation where I went armed for about six months and kept a loaded 12 gauge pump gun within arm's reach in the bedroom, because I felt I had no other choice. I'm not advocating that the OP go to this exrreme, because every situation is different. But I can definitely identify with the feeling that you're on a bullseye. It's no fun at all.

I know it's a long shot, but any chance you can move to another part of town until this blows over? My experience is that scumbags like this guy usually have some new fire burning down their world every few weeks, and you and your traffic accident may be forgotten before too long.

Meantime, be careful, be aware, be prepared. Best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 10:21 AM   #51
saeedg48
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.1 GT3

buy a taser gun then sew the police department..

2015 Porsche 991.1 GT3
2015 F80 M3 -- Individual; Space Grey
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 02:56 PM   #52
askharjoon
Private
Rep
Drives: Maserati Ghibli

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlue View Post
What's sad is what our criminal justice system has become. Nearly all victims of serious crimes were victimized by someone with a long history of criminal behavior and by any measure of common sense, should still be in jail or prison, thus the serious crime would not have happened. There are a lot of seriously anti-social, worthless criminals who do not respect your life or your property out there who should be in jail, but aren't. I won't go into what type of politics has brought us to this point... anyone with any common sense can fill in the blank.
That sir is what is sad.
I agree with you. Lame ass politics and their pandering to specific groups for votes is destroying the fabric of our society in America. But its sad to see the paranoid herd mentality take over on an issue that probably will not lead to anything more than a scratched car getting fixed...
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 03:08 PM   #53
Mjolnir
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Le Mans Blue ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeedg48 View Post
What should he sew the police department? New uniforms?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 03:49 PM   #54
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by askharjoon View Post
I agree with you. Lame ass politics and their pandering to specific groups for votes is destroying the fabric of our society in America. But its sad to see the paranoid herd mentality take over on an issue that probably will not lead to anything more than a scratched car getting fixed...
When it comes to personal safety, you can never be too careful. I don't care what you say about being paranoid, I'll be the one alive in the end. It doesn't necessarily take violence, but it takes vigilance and deterrence. I don't rely on the police for my personal safety. If someone is breaking into my house, they have too much time to do what they want (take stuff, kill me) before the cops would finally arrive. You live in a fantasy world if you believe you can simply call the police and sit comfortably in your home while waiting for an invader to finish what he's doing and not suffer some sort of consequence.

OP, that really does suck. I can't believe that they passed on your information without your consent. That has to violate some sort of privacy act. I wouldn't suggest hiring a lawyer or anything as was mentioned earlier. Going after the cops, although it might be warranted in this case, can be an extremely lengthy and expensive process.

Personally, I would just ensure I garaged the car for a while, or kept it someplace safe. And also be prepared for a possible intruder. Be vigilant and keep your family aware of your whereabouts. If it were me, I would tell family and friends and keep them informed of the situation, in the event something unfortunate happens they will realize quickly after they haven't heard from you and start to look into it. I usually call my family every day just out of habit. If they do not hear from me after one day, I usually get a call from them making sure everything is OK. Most of the time I am just busy and can't call.

Luckily I have a 100 pound dog, and multiple weapons in the house to deter such neanderthals. If the dog's nonstop barking doesn't spook them off, I'm sure the cock of the hammer or the shotgun pump will.

It's not paranoia, it's vigilance. Stay safe...
      09-07-2011, 06:21 PM   #55
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Daytona 95 M3, X7 M50, e92 M3,

My buddy keeps various guns hidden strategically throughout his house so no matter where he is in the event of a home invasion, he's no more than 5 feet away from a semiautomatic weapon loaded with alternating full metal jacket and hollow points.

He may be a bit paranoid, or a bit of a gun nut, but I know where I'm going in the event of a zombie apocalypse.

Last edited by DarkstarZero; 09-07-2011 at 06:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 06:41 PM   #56
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkstarZero View Post
My buddy keeps various guns hidden strategically throughout his house so no matter where he is in the event of a home invasion, he's no more than 5 feet away from a semiautomatic weapon loaded with alternating full metal jacket and hallow points.

He may be a bit paranoid, or a bit of a gun nut, but I know where I'm going in the event of a zombie apocalypse.
Lots of paranoia and posing in this thread, but I like your philosophy.

Live by the sword ...

Dinan compliment of stuff plus PF rotors and RG63s. Enough for now.
Why, yes. I am an abrasive bastard.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 07:04 PM   #57
CORTDD
Private
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4G63 View Post
I think you're making a bigger deal out of this for no reason and plus, your gov connection broke the law looking up this guy for you. Relax, treat this as a hit-n-run and let your insurance deal with it. The perp knows your address and you should know his, so if anything, that guy should be worried about what you will do with that info. Sorry to say it but you sound hysterical for no real reason except that you interacted with a guy with a criminal record.
We're all swimming with the sharks. Events like the original poster's only remind us of this.

If you don't already have a house alarm, get one. Gun ownership is optional, but realize that "rather than confer[ing] protection, guns kept in the home are associated with an increase in the risk of homicide by a family member or intimate acquaintance." (Kellerman et. al., NEJM 10/7/93). If gun ownership is not part of your family's culture, then gun ownership may bring you more harm than safety.

Finally, if I was the OP I would edit my initial post and delete the part about using GOV connections to review confidential information. I suspect that is against the law. Most modern record keeping systems record accessions, and his query may be traceable to him. Such curiosity could bring about disciplinary action, and he's admitted guilt.

It's too bad what happened to you (OP). Try to ensure your general safety, but don't go overboard. Get your car fixed. Live your life. Know that there are good people and bad people. Be glad that you are the former and not the latter. Live on.

Last edited by CORTDD; 09-07-2011 at 07:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 09:40 PM   #58
Stainless 45
Captain
Rep
Drives: Last of the V-8 Interceptors

To the OP- the beauty of where you said you live- South FL- is it's a "Castle Doctrine" State. If you don't recognize that look it up. Instead of living in one of these nanny states like most of us, you have the right to protect yourself, your home, your family, and in some case, even your car. No need to overreact, but it pays to be prepared.
Blue Thunder -2011 LeMans Blue e92 DCT, ZCP, European Delivery. BPM Stage II. Dinan 3.45 Rear. Borla/Encore Innovation Exhaust, LUX Angel Eyes, Forgestar F14's, Turner road armor. "Last of the V-8 Interceptors, a real piece of history..."
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 11:02 PM   #59
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
and they want to legalize marijuana. heehh..
I don't know whether you own your house or not, but if you are renting, I would move. IF not, install an alarm (like someone suggested), buy a gun, and get a well trained German Shepherd dog.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 12:03 PM   #60
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

as an alternative, you can always give your work address.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 12:48 PM   #61
///My5UV
Lurker
Rep
Drives: YMB F80, SS E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
as an alternative, you can always give your work address.
Not bad... supposedly it's common practice for actors and celebrities to have a PO Box on their Driver's license so they don't give up their address when getting ID'ed or whatnot.
      09-08-2011, 01:04 PM   #62
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

^yeah, a lot of people work in a secured building and often have secured parking too
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 01:31 PM   #63
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
Lots of paranoia and posing in this thread, but I like your philosophy.

Live by the sword ...
Heh...

Anyway, wish you luck with this bad situation. Hopefully it just passes over with no consequences. It's not a bad idea to be a little safer and be more situationally aware.

A friend of mine was driving one day (he owns a nice 335) and was rear ended by someone driving a bit too close behind him. It was dark, he got out to survey the damage, and there were two individuals in the car that hit him. One of the individuals hit him in the head with something and knocked him out. They drove off with both cars and his wallet. He filed the reports and everything, but to this day hasn't gotten any info. This was about a year ago.

There are bad people out there. Just terrible that they put their fellow man in situations like this...

Last edited by Templar; 09-08-2011 at 01:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 03:09 PM   #64
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by saeedg48 View Post
What should he sew the police department? New uniforms?

F80 ///M3 6MT Avus Blue ZCP
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 04:37 PM   #65
chungdae
The Asian Sensation
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Alpine White M3, S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdyaman View Post
this comes to mind:

Its for a e60 M5, but i'm sure one can get one for a M3
Definitely want one. Where did you get this?
2009 BMW M3: Current
2011 BMW S1000RR: Current
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 04:42 PM   #66
chungdae
The Asian Sensation
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Alpine White M3, S1000RR

South Florida really is shitty man. Buy a gun, you'll never know when you'll need it.
2009 BMW M3: Current
2011 BMW S1000RR: Current
Appreciate 0