BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

08-23-2013, 12:51 PM   #89
Kong Sheng Han
Banned
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Something something racecar

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. ///M3 RD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong Sheng Han View Post
Hello everyone. I need someone to confirm/correct my calculations. I'm trying to get my stock 18's to have the same stance as an OEM E9X 18" wheel without spacers on an E46. Here are the specs for both wheels:

E46: 8 x 18 Front ET 47
9 x 18 Rear ET 26
E9X 8.5 x 18 Front ET 29
9.5 x 18 Rear ET 23

Now if I did this correctly, the correction is about 23F/9R. So would a 20F/10R spacer give my 18's the same kind of look as if the E9X 18s were on?

Thank you
Your car looks great the way it is ... don't change a thing Brings back memories of my 2002 e46 ...
I think there might have been a misunderstanding..I have the silver M3 as seen in my profile pic, and I'm trying to achieve the look of the black M3.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 11:46 PM   #90
chich
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3, RSQ8

recently put 10mm macht schnell spacers on my front wheels which are 20x9 ET 28. before installing I cleaned the hub ring with a wire wheel to ensure the spacers would sit flush. I then put the wheels back on and went for a test drive and noticed that my steering wheel shakes a little now. Does anyone know what could be causing this? Everything was installed correctly. The only thing I can think to do is get my wheels rebalanced
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 01:16 PM   #91
M3RDERD
Rep
Drives: 11' e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chich View Post
recently put 10mm macht schnell spacers on my front wheels which are 20x9 ET 28. before installing I cleaned the hub ring with a wire wheel to ensure the spacers would sit flush. I then put the wheels back on and went for a test drive and noticed that my steering wheel shakes a little now. Does anyone know what could be causing this? Everything was installed correctly. The only thing I can think to do is get my wheels rebalanced

I'm also having the same issues with my 10 mm MS spacers. I just got them put in by eas 2 days ago and when I drive around 80mph I get a steering vibration..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 08:23 PM   #92
SilentAttack
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 Jerez Black 6MT

Any E90 M3's out there with ZCP wheels using spacers? Im lowered on Swift R-Spec springs. I was thinking 12.5 front and 10 back but a lil worried about the 10mm after reading this message on the TMS website.

A note about 10mm spacers: Any 10mm spacer is considered a custom fitment. The stock hubcentric lip on BMWs can stick out by as much as 11mm. This leaves a gap between the spacer and the hub which seriously compromises safety. We recommend using a larger spacer (12mm and larger do not have this issue) or check that the lip sticks out less than 10mm
      10-22-2013, 03:10 PM   #93
Edward
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013.9999 E92 Jerez ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by chich View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3RDERD View Post
I'm also having the same issues with my 10 mm MS spacers. I just got them put in by eas 2 days ago and when I drive around 80mph I get a steering vibration..

I feel like neither of you bothered to read the original post which has more info on spacers than the entire forum has ever posted up in aggregate.

10 mm spacers with a hubcentric lip will make your car drive like the tires are shot and your rim is bent also. The spacer itself is not thick enough for the stock hub to fit into it if it also has a hubcentric ring of its own.

I wanted to post because I had an interesting problem with MS spacers. Ran 12mm x 4 on my 225M rims on a 335is coupe with no problem. Never once a vibration even after several unmounting and remountings.

Bought another set when I got a 2013 ZCP coupe M3.

Major issues on the front. Perhaps on the rear also, but it's much more difficult to feel rear wheel vibration because you can't feel it so obviously through the steering wheel as you can when there's an issue with the fronts.

Anyhow, had a lot of vibrations. What was weird is that over the course of 2 hours of straight constant 70 mph driving, the front wheels would phase in and out of being totally smooth and atrociously wobbly.

Took it to my buddy's friends shop. We all agreed that the 12 mm Macht Schnell hubcentric spacer fit flush against the brake rotor hat. No issues there. But it would not fit flush against the inside of the stock ZCP from rim. So we concluded that even though a 12 mm should fit, something was off with the cutaway bevel inside the rim and the protruding bevel on the spacer did not mesh up well. Also, did not measure this but the same non-flush effect could also be created from a hub ring that is too long on the spacer. In any case, the wheel did not fit onto the spacer properly.

After this, I just said screw spacers. I'm done. Nothing worse than making your brand new M3 feel like it has bent ass wheels.

I'd only stick with 12.5mm -18mm spacers. Nothing outside that spec unless you do it right and do a stud conversion kit. That way you can slap any configuration on and screw on the same nuts to lock it down. The M3 GTS uses spacers as factory equipment even after using wider tires at 255 and 285. However, that car has different upgraded 6/4 pot calipers and rotors and also utilizes a stud conversion kit.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 04:27 PM   #94
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
I feel like neither of you bothered to read the original post which has more info on spacers than the entire forum has ever posted up in aggregate.

10 mm spacers with a hubcentric lip will make your car drive like the tires are shot and your rim is bent also. The spacer itself is not thick enough for the stock hub to fit into it if it also has a hubcentric ring of its own.

I wanted to post because I had an interesting problem with MS spacers. Ran 12mm x 4 on my 225M rims on a 335is coupe with no problem. Never once a vibration even after several unmounting and remountings.

Bought another set when I got a 2013 ZCP coupe M3.

Major issues on the front. Perhaps on the rear also, but it's much more difficult to feel rear wheel vibration because you can't feel it so obviously through the steering wheel as you can when there's an issue with the fronts.

Anyhow, had a lot of vibrations. What was weird is that over the course of 2 hours of straight constant 70 mph driving, the front wheels would phase in and out of being totally smooth and atrociously wobbly.

Took it to my buddy's friends shop. We all agreed that the 12 mm Macht Schnell hubcentric spacer fit flush against the brake rotor hat. No issues there. But it would not fit flush against the inside of the stock ZCP from rim. So we concluded that even though a 12 mm should fit, something was off with the cutaway bevel inside the rim and the protruding bevel on the spacer did not mesh up well. Also, did not measure this but the same non-flush effect could also be created from a hub ring that is too long on the spacer. In any case, the wheel did not fit onto the spacer properly.

After this, I just said screw spacers. I'm done. Nothing worse than making your brand new M3 feel like it has bent ass wheels.

I'd only stick with 12.5mm -18mm spacers. Nothing outside that spec unless you do it right and do a stud conversion kit. That way you can slap any configuration on and screw on the same nuts to lock it down. The M3 GTS uses spacers as factory equipment even after using wider tires at 255 and 285. However, that car has different upgraded 6/4 pot calipers and rotors and also utilizes a stud conversion kit.
I have 12.5 mm Turner spacers front and rear with zero issues. I'd like to go with a 10 mm spacer in the rear, but am reluctant based on everything I've read.

I was also planning to do a stud-conversion kit. Would this increase the odds of running a 10 mm spacer in the rear without issues?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 11:09 PM   #95
M3Captain
Banned
Greece
Rep
Drives: M3 and a McDonnell Douglas

Just picked up an E90 with ZCP. 15F and 12R mm will give a flush fit?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 02:13 PM   #96
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
The GTS (and presumably CRT) has a 5mm spacer on the front to clear the upgraded suspension. Not sure how they got a 5mm spacer to fit. I have the exact same pair, but haven't tried installing them given the fitment issues.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 03:15 PM   #97
Edward
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013.9999 E92 Jerez ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
The GTS (and presumably CRT) has a 5mm spacer on the front to clear the upgraded suspension. Not sure how they got a 5mm spacer to fit. I have the exact same pair, but haven't tried installing them given the fitment issues.
In the post you're quoting I mentioned that the GTS uses wheels studs instead of longer lug bolts. You could sandwich whatever type of spacer you want between your wheel and your hub if you have studs. BMW probably saw it as a much safer and idiot proof way to put spacers on a GTS using nuts and studs than extended lugbolts and spacers.

If you have 5mm spacers with no hub, I think you can get them to fit properly. Your existing hub would slide through the spacer and you'd end up with something like 5-6mm of hub to work with instead of the original 10-11. Only real life experience or an engineer would be able to tell you exactly how much stress you've transferred from your hub to your lug bolts by giving your wheels less hub lip to rest on. Could be nominal.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 01:35 AM   #98
Kosta1968
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 Competition

Garage List
2019 BMW F87 M2  [10.00]
I have an E90 M3 with stock ZCP rim, tyres and suspension.

I bought turner 12.5, 15 and 17.5mm spacers to give the ability to test two combos and work out what suited my tastes best.

I tried 17.5 at the front and 15 at the back and to be honest it looked crap, too much of the tyre was exposed over the top of the wheel arch.

Chucked 15 at the front and 12.5 at the rear and it looks perfect, except for the fact I now want to lower the car!

2019 F87 M2 Competition
2021 G80 M3 Competition (sold)
2010 E90 M3 Competition (sold)
1995 E36 M3 (sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 02:58 PM   #99
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
In the post you're quoting I mentioned that the GTS uses wheels studs instead of longer lug bolts. You could sandwich whatever type of spacer you want between your wheel and your hub if you have studs. BMW probably saw it as a much safer and idiot proof way to put spacers on a GTS using nuts and studs than extended lugbolts and spacers.

If you have 5mm spacers with no hub, I think you can get them to fit properly. Your existing hub would slide through the spacer and you'd end up with something like 5-6mm of hub to work with instead of the original 10-11. Only real life experience or an engineer would be able to tell you exactly how much stress you've transferred from your hub to your lug bolts by giving your wheels less hub lip to rest on. Could be nominal.
this is exactly what im doing....just got 5mm to clear the kw cs strut for a 275 tire in the front and i already have stud conversion so we will see on monday.

my cousin has ran shitty 5mm spacers on his eclipse (stud from the factory) and its been what 15 years now?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 10:32 AM   #100
Amirsm3
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CON G View Post

I bought turner 12.5, 15 and 17.5mm spacers to give the ability to test two combos and work out what suited my tastes best.

I tried 17.5 at the front and 15 at the back and to be honest it looked crap, too much of the tyre was exposed over the top of the wheel arch.

Chucked 15 at the front and 12.5 at the rear and it looks perfect, except for the fact I now want to lower the car!
You're gonna get some negative camber and you'll want to put the 17.5mm back on.

BMWCCA:518970
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 11:32 PM   #101
ciges
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 IB SLICKTOP 6MT

I am running 15mm front and 18mm rear with 245/275-35-19 on 220 oem wheels,there in more space ,i will put 18mm on front and order 20mm for rear.Steering wheel was shaking at 65-75mph,rotated spacers and retorqued to 88 ft/lb,now is ok.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 06:05 PM   #102
BronzeWarrior
Rep
Drives: 328I Montego Blue

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzm3 View Post
The 10mm Spacer Dilemma
10mm wheel spacers are one of the most common spacer sizes out there. However, what a lot of people don't realize is that a 10mm size is not a true fitment on any BMW. It's considered a "tuner" fitment, meaning some extra thought is usually required to correctly install them. Only with the right combination of parts will a 10mm spacer fit without a vibration or other fitment issues.

Factory Hub Lips Are Greater Than 10mm
The depth of the lip on the car where the spacer will rest will vary. The available lip space may be 11mm and a 10mm spacer with its own hubcentric lip cannot physically fit. The spacer will bottom out on the lip instead of on the brake hat, leaving a gap between the spacer and the rotor hat. The biggest reason for this is the thickness of the rotor hat. The thickness varies by manufacturer and design. A thinner hat (such as used with aluminum Euro Floating rotors) will leave more lip protruding and make the problem worse. Most spacer manufacturers add an extra chamfer, or shoulder, to push the hubcentric lip further out. The extra chamfer clears any extra part of the stock lip. The other way to get the spacer to fit is to shave the stock lip with a metal file. While not the most elegant solution, it works.

Wheels With Incorrect Beveled Edge
Some wheels (Kosei in particular) have a beveled mounting surface that is at a different angle than on the spacer. Think of really precise puzzle pieces fitting together - if the pieces are not precisely machined to match, the parts don't fit together very well. The wheel will vibrate since enough of the wheel bore is not resting on the spacer lip.

Note that all of this only occurs when using a 10mm spacer with its own hubcentric lip. Any spacer over 10mm is not affected by this. The TMS 10mm spacers with Hub Extender is also exempt from this as the spacer has a flush outer face and will not interfere with the mounting surface of the wheel.

What's the solution? You could shave the stock lip on the car so its depth is under 10mm... Or you could just use a 12mm spacer and be done with it. The difference between a 10mm spacer and a 12mm spacer is the thickness of a nickel! The 2mm difference is smaller than the thickness of a CF memory card or your typical cardboard box. Trust us - 12mm is the way to go. The TMS Hub Extender/10mm Spacer set also works well and allows you to swap spacers in and out for different setups.

Thank you RZM, I have 10 mm wheels spacers and they just dont sit flush on my Stance wheels, and this was a 2nd set i bought thinking my old set had warped or something, but you cleared it up for me, I knew it was an issue with the spacer "lip" rather than my wheels, which are rust free and well taking care of.... I think i'll just avoid the hassle of grinding them down and risking any mistakes and order a 12 mm spacer instead. Thank you once again!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 01:35 PM   #103
ArthurL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 6MT (E93)

I know that the original lug bolts on the car are 25mm so for a 18mm spacer, I'll need at least a 43mm shank. Would a 42mm shank bolt be okay? The person I bought my spacers from sent me a 45mm shank bolt and a 42mm shank bolt for a 18mm spacer..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 03:23 PM   #104
M3Bimmer77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 M3 E90 Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurL View Post
I know that the original lug bolts on the car are 25mm so for a 18mm spacer, I'll need at least a 43mm shank. Would a 42mm shank bolt be okay? The person I bought my spacers from sent me a 45mm shank bolt and a 42mm shank bolt for a 18mm spacer..
Do you really know how much 1 mm is? It's something a little more than 5/128". Let's say you are designing a nano chip then you would be concern. What is 1mm in 42mm? You are loosing around 2% of thread!!!! You decide if that's safe.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 09:01 PM   #105
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
subcribed, since installing a set of 5mm in my 18s fronts is causing vibration... I need to read up and truly try to understand so I can fix it, or just remove it.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 05:57 PM   #106
kimiraikkonen
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

Quote:

Hi. Do you have any pics of your car with the 15/12.5mm setup? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 03:16 AM   #107
Kosta1968
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 Competition

Garage List
2019 BMW F87 M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimiraikkonen View Post
Quote:

Hi. Do you have any pics of your car with the 15/12.5mm setup? Thanks!
Jeez that was years ago running LMRs now.

2019 F87 M2 Competition
2021 G80 M3 Competition (sold)
2010 E90 M3 Competition (sold)
1995 E36 M3 (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 06:43 AM   #108
ManglerX
Real Men Drives a V8 Not InLine-6 with a HairDryer
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: A White E92 M3

If i memorised all these, i think i would've a degree in M Division Spacers........Thanks for this awesome thread RMZ3 !!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 10:46 AM   #109
byroncheung
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 m3, 997.2 c2s, x166 GL450

i know everyone emphasizes importance of cleaning the mating surfaces with wirebrush / sandpaper in wheel spacers installation. but i'm just curious why vibration tend not to occur without spacers? if there are rust build up on the the hub / back of the wheels, even without spacers, the wheels won't seat flush and should vibrate as well? but every time i had vibration issue with spacers the vibration will disappear when i take the spacers off?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 01:02 PM   #110
330iToy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 M3 Space Gray

Garage List
2011.75 BMW M3  [0.00]
I have ECS spacers, 15mm on Front and 12.5mm on rear. Running Michelin pS4s 255/35/19 front and 275/35/19 on stock ZCP wheels. Severe rubbing on back. What am I doing wrong? Any help on correct size spacers? When i ordered these from ECS that is what was suggested. Maybe I did not make something clear to them.