BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

08-30-2009, 07:48 PM   #1
eddiek
Private
Rep
Drives: '15 F83 DCT '09 E93 DCT

New tire/wheel and other warranties worth it?

Been watching these boards for a while and just bought a new '09 E93 fully loaded from SoCal. I'm planning on keeping this for at least 5-6 yrs but didn't think much about the other warranties that were presented when I purchased the car. I have a little bit of time to decide before it gets shipped to me but I was wondering what others here thought. There is the Breakdown Coverage 72mo/100K for $3112 of which I get $2500 back if I don't use it. $3495 for the BMW Maintenance Upgrade (6 yr/100K) and the Road Hazard Tire plan at 60mo at $1264. I only drive about 10K/yr. I'm thinking about the Tire/wheel plan but I'm not sure about the others. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 09:40 PM   #2
MJC///M3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3

I got the Tire/Wheel plan. I think it is $699 or $799. I just rolled it into my payment which increased it a few bucks...so not bad.

Long story short......I ended up getting a 3 inch screw in my driver's side rear tire within two weeks of ownership. Tire was replaced...invoice was $458....I paid nothing.

So I am obviously a bit slated in recommending the tire insurance b/c it paid off for me, given the roads in NYC, I thought it would be a good idea "just in case something happened" especially since I'm running the 19's.
"You will get there, but it is up to you and you alone. It is what you are willing to do, and how you are willing to get there. You must be relentless, you must be tireless, you must pursue at all costs, so that you are ready, when the time is right." -Dad
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 09:40 PM   #3
ching
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

Depends on where you live. I bought the wheel tire plan because I've found that I need to replace a tire every one or two years. I don't drive my car much, but there's a lot of construction in Toronto so you will invariably catch a nail. Your experience may vary.
      08-30-2009, 10:13 PM   #4
RL in Florida
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jet Black M3 Convertible

I bought the tire and wheel warranty.
Ended up being worth it because I got a nail in my rear tire at 2000 miles....replacement was $450, but insurance paid for it with no deductible.
Cost for the warranty was $599.
So...I'll guess i'll know by the end of my lease in two years if it was worth it or not... All depends on if I use it again.

OOops,
just checked the price and I quoted the wrong amount.
The price for the basic plan was $599, and only covered $200 per tire, $1200 total benefit.
I upgraded to Deluxe Plan. No limit per tire; $5000 lifetime benefit. It was $714 including sales tax.
3 years unlimited miles. Covers ORIGINAL SET OF TIRES and ANY REPLACEMENT NEW TIRES.
Wheel is covered only if it prevents tire from holding air.

Last edited by RL in Florida; 09-03-2009 at 06:26 PM.. Reason: error in price i mentioned
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 10:32 PM   #5
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+/YMB M4

Yes. I'm about to replace my third rear tire due to fucking nails in the road!! It's brand new too. My dealership is cool. If they see a nail in my tire, they'll replace it with a brand new one

I've saved quite a bit..so I think its worth it.
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578&d=1204654487[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 10:33 PM   #6
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL in Florida View Post
Any thoughts? Thanks.
You can buy any of those coverages during your warranty, so there's no rush. Just the post above mentions tire warranty at $599; less than half of your quote, so it pays to shop around if you want any of them. Take care.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 04:43 PM   #7
PorscheRacer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 Sedan

I was offered a "tires for life" deal for ~ $2500 which might be worth it with PS2's but there were all kinds of conditions of having them rotated, balanced, etc. I figured they would try their best not to pay so I passed on it. That included free windshield replacement for damage also.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 05:08 PM   #8
Dartanium
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3

I would consider the tire warranty if it includes tires on the aftermarket wheels.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 05:58 PM   #9
rai
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 coupe with DCT

I got my M3 13 months ago. I was not sure how fast it was going to go through it's tires so I actually bought the "tires for life" package it was quite a bit of money something like $2600 or I can't recall the exact amount.

So I started reading the fine print, about a month after since they didn't have all the details when I was buying the car it was like a last minute pitch and an impulse buy, I had figured if I got 2 sets of tires it would pay for itself.

So the fine print said I had to rotate the tires like every 5K miles and balance the tires like every 5K miles and have an alignment every 5K etc. and they would only replace at 3/32nd of an inch or whatever and I live like 40 minutes from the place and I don't want to be tied to bringing the car in every 5K miles and if it needs rears one time and fronts another time. Well I said this is too much trouble. I'd rather have my $2600 and replace the tires when I want and I can do it near my house. Plus the tires can only be the exact same kind (etc.)

Well I canceled the policy since I had a 90 day window. This was like pulling teeth to get my money back, I had to call the dealer like 5 times.

Well funny about 8 months go by and I start getting these notices in the mail the company that sold the warranty was going bankrupt and I guess they made off with everyones money.

I was not in the program so I don't know what happened.

But be careful these are 3rd or 4th party sellers and the dealership, the salesman and BMW could care less if they ever give you 'free tires'

IMO it's a big ponzi, maybe not but likely they won't be in the buisness of giving out many free sets of tires so they make you jump thru hoops with all the tire rotations and if you miss an alignment they would likely not give you the tires.

So I am glad I didn't do it and I am really impressed with the tire life, I was expecting the worse like tires every 12K miles but it looks like they may last 20K.

Hope that helps.

I don't mean to say all the warranties are like this, this was just my experience.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 06:18 PM   #10
mach330
You don't know JACK!!!
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 35i

if you only care about tires..then u can get a warranty on any tire shop. i got my tire warranty for $200+. they will warranty any tires as long as it's new.

another option i thought was interesting was...i had 18" oem's initially and i was offered the tire/wheel package. i got a set of 19's oem for $2k with tires. the way i see it...i can sell that 19" oem later if i need to, but if i scuffed it up (leased my car), my 18's would be fine. i sell that 19" after my lease is up and end up on top. at least that's my logic.
      09-03-2009, 06:27 PM   #11
RL in Florida
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
You can buy any of those coverages during your warranty, so there's no rush. Just the post above mentions tire warranty at $599; less than half of your quote, so it pays to shop around if you want any of them. Take care.
Ooops. Made a mistake on that price....
I made a correction (see my post above)

$599 was for Basic.
$714 is what I paid, as I had upgraded to Deluxe.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 07:00 PM   #12
isugoo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

I don't think dealer's warranty is any better than normal tirerack's road hazard warranty.
If I'm you, I'll use stock set as is and when I need to replace stock tires, I will get the warranty from tirerack along with new tires. (But it's all depends on the road conditions- I'm in San Diego and don't see much reason to get it).

PAST: F80 M3 ZCP | 911.1 C2S | F10 M5 ZCP | E70 X5M | E90 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 08:25 AM   #13
RL in Florida
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMIII View Post
Get the tire and wheel warranty. I have had my M3 for 4 months now and I am right at 4k. A friend of mine had his tires for 3k and purposely ran over a few nails and went into the dealership and got all tires replaced. They also cover aftermarket wheels and tires.

I am considering a new set of aftermarket wheels and tires...so I'm about to puncture all 4 of my tires and get them replaced. Then I will sell my stock wheels and tires for more than they would be worth now because all 4 tires will be BRAND NEW. For the new set I want, I will probably end up paying only 500 bucks extra after the amount from my stocks. You have to keep in mind, warranty covers all wheels and tires weather stock or aftermarket. The warranty is $599 or $699. Either way that is the price of one or two tires. I think the warranty is 4 years or $4000 whichever comes first. So it is definitely worth it...
Are you for real? This is the biggest douche-bag maneuver EVER.
This is fraud.
Just my opinion though. I would be interested in what everyone else thinks about this...
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 08:44 AM   #14
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

Odds are that you will probably get a couple of punctures in 4 years; if you do, your tires are paid for. If you damage your rim in the process, they are paid for too. The PS2s are over $350 a piece and the 19" factory forged wheels are a pretty penny.

Also, the warranty covers any tire/wheel that you have on your car at the time of the puncture/damage. If you decide to change out the wheels, they are covered as well (not sure what the limits are but factory wheels are not cheap).

-SZ
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 08:45 AM   #15
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

Quote:
Get the tire and wheel warranty. I have had my M3 for 4 months now and I am right at 4k. A friend of mine had his tires for 3k and purposely ran over a few nails and went into the dealership and got all tires replaced. They also cover aftermarket wheels and tires.

I am considering a new set of aftermarket wheels and tires...so I'm about to puncture all 4 of my tires and get them replaced. Then I will sell my stock wheels and tires for more than they would be worth now because all 4 tires will be BRAND NEW. For the new set I want, I will probably end up paying only 500 bucks extra after the amount from my stocks. You have to keep in mind, warranty covers all wheels and tires weather stock or aftermarket. The warranty is $599 or $699. Either way that is the price of one or two tires. I think the warranty is 4 years or $4000 whichever comes first. So it is definitely worth it...
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 09:57 AM   #16
slipstream
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 LeMans Blue E90 M3 [sold]

Quote:

What you're talking about doing is illegal. By posting your intentions on the internet, you are setting yourself up for prosecution. Don't take the low road.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 01:19 PM   #17
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL in Florida View Post
Are you for real? This is the biggest douche-bag maneuver EVER. This is fraud. Just my opinion though. I would be interested in what everyone else thinks about this...
You already know what we think. Abusive creeps like him are the reason for skyrocketing insurance premiums, taxes, etc. Wouldn't doubt the guy is receiving welfare. Our only consolation is his kind usually ends up in the slammer sooner or later, but not always.
Just put the douche-bag on my ignore list, but he should be banned from here IMO. Take care.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 04:34 PM   #18
slipstream
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 LeMans Blue E90 M3 [sold]

Welfare? Maybe from his parents.
Appreciate 0