BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-29-2015, 05:04 PM   #1
WayneM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90M5

Where did the coolant come from?

When I installed my Evolve E600 supercharger 2.5 years ago my friend and I had a very difficult time attaching the s/c oil cooler to the air/air intercooler. It was VERY close but we could only get one of the mounting screws into each side no matter what we did because we couldn't rotate it enough to get the 2nd screw into either side. It was so jammed in there we didn't think it was an issue. Fast forward 2.5 years and it apparently made itself looser and rotated on the axis back 1/16" or so right into the factory oil cooler and put a hole in it. I discovered it quickly due to the leaking oil so there was no engine damage - just a big mess. In order to get it back to my friend's house with the lift to look what was wrong I called a tow truck using my AAA for the 25 mile trip. Four hours later (and two hours late) a regular tow truck shows up and I wasn't happy as I had requested a flatbed. It would have been another 4-5 hour wait (this is NYC) for a flatbed so I agreed to let them use the regular truck with the dollies so nothing was touching the ground or rotating. It was held by the rear wheels up with the front wheels on the dollies. I ordered the expensive oil cooler and went back a week later for the install. I was surprised when I got there that there was a good amount of coolant on the ground. The oil cooler was an easy replacement but I couldn't figure out where the coolant came from. It didn't appear to be from the reservoir as there weren't traces of it there but there was actually a pool of coolant deep in the V under the plenum. I added about 1/2-3/4 gallon of mixed coolant and brought the level back up to full. Since then I have driven it many times and had it rest overnight 3 times and I have not lost any coolant - no spots on the ground, no coolant level change and the stuff in the V dried up. I can't figure out what happened except that the car was bouncing around at the strange backwards angle while being towed. Where could it have leaked from into the V if it wasn't the reservoir? What else could cause this?
Appreciate 0