BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

07-19-2018, 12:58 PM   #1
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

Pilot Sport A/S 3+ wear

Hey fellas. I've driven about 14.5k miles on these. The fronts are still standing at 8/32nd but the rears are down to 5/32nd.
For a high tread wear tire I'm surprised it's wearing this quickly. Tire also comes with a 45k mile warranty but has anyone been able to get a free replacement? Anyone else getting quick wears?
Also at what wear levels do you guys replace?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 07:08 PM   #2
Theodore
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E92 M3

I have the same set in stock ZCP sizes and absolutely love them. I'll report back later about my tread wear measurements. I personally like to change my tires with 3-4/32 tread remaining to be extra cautious. At 45k miles, the warranty sounds impressive for the grip it delivers, but if you check out the fine print, it is only half of the advertised mileage for our cars, at least for the rear tires:

From the bottom of page 1 of the Michelin warranty booklet for this tire:

"Note that if you use different size tires on the front and rear axles, your tires cannot be rotated as recommended by Michelin. As a result, the mileage warranty on each rear tire will be half that specified."

At about 1/32 of tread wear per 3,000 miles driven, it looks like you'll just miss the tread wear warranty window.
E9X M3 "Factory" Tools Can Be Found Here

Last edited by Theodore; 07-19-2018 at 08:00 PM..
Appreciate 1
R3dliner934.50
      07-20-2018, 08:54 AM   #3
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodore View Post
I have the same set in stock ZCP sizes and absolutely love them. I'll report back later about my tread wear measurements. I personally like to change my tires with 3-4/32 tread remaining to be extra cautious. At 45k miles, the warranty sounds impressive for the grip it delivers, but if you check out the fine print, it is only half of the advertised mileage for our cars, at least for the rear tires:

From the bottom of page 1 of the Michelin warranty booklet for this tire:

"Note that if you use different size tires on the front and rear axles, your tires cannot be rotated as recommended by Michelin. As a result, the mileage warranty on each rear tire will be half that specified."

At about 1/32 of tread wear per 3,000 miles driven, it looks like you'll just miss the tread wear warranty window.
I hear you. These tires have been great. The road noise at these lower tread levels are becoming louder though.
Damn I knew there was a gimmick with the warranty
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 09:14 AM   #4
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dliner View Post
Hey fellas. I've driven about 14.5k miles on these. The fronts are still standing at 8/32nd but the rears are down to 5/32nd.
For a high tread wear tire I'm surprised it's wearing this quickly. Tire also comes with a 45k mile warranty but has anyone been able to get a free replacement? Anyone else getting quick wears?
Also at what wear levels do you guys replace?

I don't think that kind of wear sounds ridiculous. The rear wheels are driven and will wear faster, and you have 414hp beneath your right foot. Even though it's an all-season tire, it's still performance-oriented. I assume you are not just puttering around town at 25mph in them -- it's an M3 after all, you're probably driving it pretty hard.

Are you seeing any unusual wear on certain areas of the tire or on one side of the car? That would point to a potential suspension or alignment problem.

Have you rotated the tires? I would replace when you hit the wear bars, which are probably at 2/32 or 3/32. That means you likely still have several thousand miles left on them. Replacing rears twice as fast as fronts isn't uncommon on a car like this.
      07-20-2018, 09:31 AM   #5
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Are you seeing any unusual wear on certain areas of the tire or on one side of the car? That would point to a potential suspension or alignment problem.

Have you rotated the tires? I would replace when you hit the wear bars, which are probably at 2/32 or 3/32. That means you likely still have several thousand miles left on them. Replacing rears twice as fast as fronts isn't uncommon on a car like this.
I would have thought for 500 tread wear it would have lasted longer.
Wear is pretty even and alignments are on point.
How can I rotate the tires? They are directional and on staggered setup.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 09:33 AM   #6
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dliner View Post
I would have thought for 500 tread wear it would have lasted longer.
Wear is pretty even and alignments are on point.
How can I rotate the tires? They are directional and on staggered setup.

Treadwear ratings are BS. They're useful for comparing within the same manufacturer, but they're fairly arbitrary.

Do the tires have inside/outside markings AND the "rotation -->" markings, or just one?
      07-20-2018, 10:22 AM   #7
thasuperdude
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

I replaced my RE71s with these and use them for dd/autox. I have a year and a half on the rears and they STILL have tread on them. They are hilariously great tires for all seasons. They're about 1.5 sec slower than the RE71s but the fun factor they add is priceless. I had to replace the fronts Dec. because of pothole that was filled too much and made a curb in the road. Split the sidewall pretty bad but didn't pop.

I think I have about 15K total miles on them and I completely abuse them on a daily basis. They're holding up fine for what I put them through.
Theodore668.50
      07-20-2018, 06:35 PM   #8
C-los
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

If i remember correctly Mich Pilot A/S are not 'directional' regarding rotation, but are directional for mounting purposes of inside and out for dry grip and rain.

double check that r3dliner
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 06:37 PM   #9
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-los View Post
If i remember correctly Mich Pilot A/S are not 'directional' regarding rotation, but are directional for mounting purposes of inside and out for dry grip and rain.

double check that r3dliner

It could even be different tread compounds on the inside and outside. The PSS had that.
      07-22-2018, 08:24 AM   #10
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

AS/3+ are quite phenomenal tires in my opinion. If I didn't already have a set of PS4S for summers I'd happily run mine year round for street driving.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 01:21 PM   #11
EricSMG
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
AS/3+ are quite phenomenal tires in my opinion. If I didn't already have a set of PS4S for summers I'd happily run mine year round for street driving.
Agree that they are really quite good, let alone for an all season. They grip well and offer excellent response. They also ride a little better than a PSS but are notably more stiff than other all seasons.

That said, for non-winter climates like San Diego, they are hard to justify over the PSS/4S since the latter offers equal/better wet traction and for sure superior dry traction. Now, does this actually matter for normal driving? Nope. And if the all seasons work for you all year round then it'd be hard to run anything else.

Last edited by EricSMG; 07-22-2018 at 01:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 01:36 PM   #12
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSMG View Post
Agree that they are really quite good, let alone for an all season. They grip well and offer excellent response. They also ride a little better than a PSS but are notably more stiff than other all seasons.

That said, for non-winter climates like San Diego, they are hard to justify over the PSS/4S since the latter offers equal/better wet traction and for sure superior dry traction. Now, does this actually matter for normal driving? Nope. And if the all seasons work for you all year round then it'd be hard to run anything else.
For places that don't see snow absolutely run PSS / PS4S. One of the main things I love about the AS/3+ is I can still have fun in my car over winter, whereas any dedicated snow tire is going to considerably degrade the handling. The AS3's pretty good on NY roads, they ride better than the PS4S but the sidewalls don't seem that much softer.

I much prefer the ride and steering feel of my 220M's with AS3 over my ZCP's with PS4S. Although I think that's down to the fact ZCP feel heavy. When I had the PS4S on my 220ms they felt exceptional. I've commented this on another thread recently, but I'd love to try a car with lightweight 18's. I expect it would feel noticeably more agile and responsive.
Appreciate 1
K-M390.50
      07-22-2018, 04:29 PM   #13
EricSMG
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
For places that don't see snow absolutely run PSS / PS4S. One of the main things I love about the AS/3+ is I can still have fun in my car over winter, whereas any dedicated snow tire is going to considerably degrade the handling. The AS3's pretty good on NY roads, they ride better than the PS4S but the sidewalls don't seem that much softer.

I much prefer the ride and steering feel of my 220M's with AS3 over my ZCP's with PS4S. Although I think that's down to the fact ZCP feel heavy. When I had the PS4S on my 220ms they felt exceptional. I've commented this on another thread recently, but I'd love to try a car with lightweight 18's. I expect it would feel noticeably more agile and responsive.
Yeah, I just had a new set of 4S' installed on my 220Ms and it feels really, really good. Smooth, quiet, relatively comfortable and fabulous grip, of course.

I don't really get too hung up on response and agility, to be honest - I like a more locked down, heavy feeling steering. I like the car to 'want' to go straight and will only turn with deliberate intent and force on my part. I like a stable car that wants to keep its line. But I also like to feel what's happening at the contact patch.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 04:20 PM   #14
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:

From what I've seen, their performance is on-par with the old PS2 [summer tire] that was OEM on this car. That's remarkable.