BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

02-11-2020, 12:16 PM   #1
LakeSurfer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: bicycle

Idrive switch covers replacement. ??

hey,

so the black soft touch paint on switch covers on the i drive are all starting to peel, reveling a white switch cover underneath.

so far I have only found replacements that are aftermarket and chrome but they only seem to be for the F cars and not the E9X's. the only difference i see in the chrome ones is that the "Nav" swith say "MAP".

does anyone know if these will fit my E93 M3?

https://www.amazon.com/Interior-Mult...1444954&sr=8-5

thanks

-Mark
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 08:41 PM   #2
Richneerd
The WEEBM3
Rep
Drives: E90 WEEBM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSurfer View Post
hey,

so the black soft touch paint on switch covers on the i drive are all starting to peel, reveling a white switch cover underneath.

so far I have only found replacements that are aftermarket and chrome but they only seem to be for the F cars and not the E9X's. the only difference i see in the chrome ones is that the "Nav" swith say "MAP".

does anyone know if these will fit my E93 M3?

https://www.amazon.com/Interior-Mult...1444954&sr=8-5

thanks

-Mark
No don’t buy those, get a full replacement check eBay.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 10:23 PM   #3
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Use realOEM.com to find the OEM replacement part number and buy it from wherever you want. Every part for our cars is available, all you need to do is look.
      02-20-2020, 07:40 AM   #4
LakeSurfer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrippy View Post
Use realOEM.com to find the OEM replacement part number and buy it from wherever you want. Every part for our cars is available, all you need to do is look.
Thanks for the tip but I did look hence my reason for the post.

All I can find on RealOEM is the entire switch and the chrome trim ring. Neither of which I need.

All I need/want are the switch covers.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 08:26 AM   #5
For3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I'm in a similar boat but need to replace the knob on my CIC idrive, or at least the top cap as it has been smudged on the left arrow and the rubberized paint is worn off. Based on my research you can't just buy the top cap or the knob, or the buttons, you have to buy the whole thing CIC idrive controller.

New they are around $300 and used they are around $125.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 09:16 AM   #6
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSurfer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrippy View Post
Thanks for the tip but I did look hence my reason for the post.

All I can find on RealOEM is the entire switch and the chrome trim ring. Neither of which I need.

All I need/want are the switch covers.
The whole panel is replaceable and is the only way as far as I know. I did this on my climate control and trunk switch.

Power knob-65129114289
Front trim with buttons-65129270248
      02-20-2020, 09:49 AM   #7
LakeSurfer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by For3 View Post
I'm in a similar boat but need to replace the knob on my CIC idrive, or at least the top cap as it has been smudged on the left arrow and the rubberized paint is worn off. Based on my research you can't just buy the top cap or the knob, or the buttons, you have to buy the whole thing CIC idrive controller.

New they are around $300 and used they are around $125.
I noticed that the trim piece around the CIC that it has that same stupid rubberized crappy paint and it was peeling off. so i, stupidly scrubbed it off and didn't notice that I was taking that same crappy paint off the switch covers as well.

I picked up the switch covers from the amazon in my previous post. they are covers that co over the switch covers and are installed with a double sided tape. The forward buttons fit and look OK but the rear 2 buttons are a little to tight and do not stay attached. i imagine if I removed all the crap rubber paint from all the switches and did a little trimming and either super glued them or epoxy they would work just fine. or I might just paint over the OEM switch covers deal with them not having the illuminations.
Appreciate 0