BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

11-09-2018, 02:50 AM   #23
Drv4fun
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 M3 (original owner)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrit21 View Post
Car is making a weird clunk/jump when accelerating from complete stop after car is warmed up. Only in 1st gear and reverse (dct). Been to dealer twice. Software updated, trans fluid flush done. Mounts checked. Everything checked out good but it still does the problem. Kind of fed up at this point so debating on selling it and getting into a newer M
So if you start out in 2nd gear it doesn’t do the clunk/jump? And only after the car is warm?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 10:51 AM   #24
madrit21
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drv4fun View Post
Quote:
Car is making a weird clunk/jump when accelerating from complete stop after car is warmed up. Only in 1st gear and reverse (dct). Been to dealer twice. Software updated, trans fluid flush done. Mounts checked. Everything checked out good but it still does the problem. Kind of fed up at this point so debating on selling it and getting into a newer M
So if you start out in 2nd gear it doesn't do the clunk/jump? And only after the car is warm?
That is correct. Only in first and reverse.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 11:03 AM   #25
xander_g
Major
Rep
Drives: G30 M550i

Garage List
Quote:
I had a similar issue in my f10, a bolt was left loose when they replaced some bushings. Clunking/thud when going from a stop in reverse/1st gear only. Kinda sounding like metal on metal contact? If so, I can have a look at my service records and provide more info.
Appreciate 1
      11-09-2018, 11:07 AM   #26
madrit21
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander_g View Post
Quote:
I had a similar issue in my f10, a bolt was left loose when they replaced some bushings. Clunking/thud when going from a stop in reverse/1st gear only. Kinda sounding like metal on metal contact? If so, I can have a look at my service records and provide more info.
Yes exactly. Any info would be much appreciated. I actually have a video as well
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 11:41 AM   #27
xander_g
Major
Rep
Drives: G30 M550i

Garage List
Quote:
Yes exactly. Any info would be much appreciated. I actually have a video as well
I will have a look at my service records when I get home from the office.

Was your car in for any type of service prior to your discovery of the sound? In my case, the dealer replaced thrust arm bushings and when they reassembled everything, one of the bolts wasn't properly torqued down.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 11:44 AM   #28
madrit21
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I will have a look at my service records when I get home from the office.

Was your car in for any type of service prior to your discovery of the sound? In my case, the dealer replaced thrust arm bushings and when they reassembled everything, one of the bolts wasn't properly torqued down.
No prior problems. Started to happen randomly
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 02:08 PM   #29
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAETD M View Post
I've never driven a supercharged E9x but I bet I would enjoy it very much! Tons of power and an 8400 redline? Sounds like a dream.
I did, and, good lord, is it tempting.

It's still very linear, but the rush grows a bit as you go past 4500 RPM, and once you get to 7000 RPMs, the push is unreal...feels completely exotic there's so much power up at the top. I LOVED it.

But, with it being so far up the scale, I wouldn't use it all that often, as I hardly have the need or road to fully rev it out...but just knowing it's there is almost worth $14k (with new rod bearings). ALMOST.

I drive my car A LOT so I'm still concerned about the long term stress on the engine.

For now, I've concluded it's fast enough....but we'll see. I know one day, I'll truly be tempted, especially if I come across a used ESS650 supercharger for half price. LOL

I had an F82, and came back to the E93. The power is great, but the sound is blahhhh, and it's a big coupe, almost like a luxo-coupe. The E92 is simply more special to me, and I feel that every time I drive it. I didn't feel that every time I drove the F82. Sold it, and never looked back...
Appreciate 1
1SIK_I866.50
      11-09-2018, 06:19 PM   #30
JackieChiles
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 MR M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAETD M View Post
While my E92 does have super sharp throttle response, you only really notice it when you're revving in N. When you're on the road, when I stab the throttle it almost feels like turbo lag because of the low torque the engine produces. In order for it to move quickly, you need to keep the engine on boil all the time, 5K+

The S55 in the F80 is a masterpiece, sure when you're sitting in N and revving the motor the response isn't as sharp as the S65 but on the road, it's ready to GO at any RPM. In sport and sport+ it has an anti-lag system, the turbos are spinning at high RPMs even after you let off the throttle so it's ready to go when you hit the throttle, no turbo lag. Power doesn't die off either, it pulls harder and harder all the way to redline, unlike other turbo motors that tend to die off on the top end.
The difference in throttle response and sound during downshifts is extremely noticeable in a manual car. Having just jumped back into an e92 from a manual f80, downshifts are much quicker to rev and sound awesome. Even stock.

For me, I like the s65 much more than the s55. Its a more exciting and playful engine. Encourages me to drive it harder.

The only engines I like more are the n/a flat 6 engines from the modern 911s. Incredible motors. Outside true exotics like the Lambo v10 which are up there too.
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2018, 05:37 PM   #31
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieChiles View Post
The difference in throttle response and sound during downshifts is extremely noticeable in a manual car. Having just jumped back into an e92 from a manual f80, downshifts are much quicker to rev and sound awesome. Even stock.

For me, I like the s65 much more than the s55. Its a more exciting and playful engine. Encourages me to drive it harder.

The only engines I like more are the n/a flat 6 engines from the modern 911s. Incredible motors. Outside true exotics like the Lambo v10 which are up there too.
My sentiments exactly. I'm definitely not a turbo guy, no matter how much instant torque they can conjure.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 07:50 PM   #32
madrit21
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Do you remember where the loose bolt was? Any info would be appreciated
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 09:04 PM   #33
1SIK_I8
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: I8

Just recently sold my M4 and in the market for a E92 M3 (manual). No matter what upgrades I did to the exhaust and engine, it still sounded like crap and it just didn't do it for me. There is something about that E92 V8. This, ofcourse, is my personal opinion and experience. My daily right now is my other vehicle, the I8, but soon enough I'll have my E92 M3 in my garage as well.
Appreciate 1
jaehshim492.00
      11-30-2018, 09:33 PM   #34
madrit21
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sik_M4 View Post
Just recently sold my M4 and in the market for a E92 M3 (manual). No matter what upgrades I did to the exhaust and engine, it still sounded like crap and it just didn't do it for me. There is something about that E92 V8. This, ofcourse, is my personal opinion and experience. My daily right now is my other vehicle, the I8, but soon enough I'll have my E92 M3 in my garage as well.
I agree. Gonna keep the v8 🤙🏼🤙🏼
Appreciate 2
jaehshim492.00
1SIK_I866.50
      12-01-2018, 11:18 AM   #35
jaehshim
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Each M3 generation carries its own distinct character, and I believe that's what most people want to experience owning and driving an M car.
That's why in the middle of all these M sport, Sport pack, 440M 550M bullshit, a true M3/M4 cars stand strong as a historical model.

- F80 wasn't exceptionally lighter than the previous gen
- It did not handle as good as the previous gen with new electric steering
- nor did it ride good on regular roads compared to previous gen (actually rides worse if you experienced both E9X and F8X)
- cheap plastics all over engine components, lighter yet weaker aluminum parts chassis + suspension (I don't know, mechanics seem to compare E9X to F3X on this manner a lot)
- it did not have an outstanding exterior or interior (BMW is conservative in this area anyways)
- it sounds horrible, makes everyone jus cringe whenever it cold starts or drives by
- and most importantly it's just a tuned 335i motor in all seriousness...no individual throttle bodies, no high compression, high RPM motor that gave M character in all previous cars.

And this is the reason why so many M owners are coming back to E9X gen
- it just rides better on road (fact if you experienced both on road...)
- but also give much more steering feedback on track
- sounds like crazy
- motor is simply at the pinnacle of M division history, V8 NA 8400rpm, high compression (12.0), lightweight (light like 33lb lighter than an inline 6 NA S54, amazing response via individual throttle bodies

talk about speed? of course F8X will be faster, but in the same way a $50K audi compact sedan RS3 is faster than a ferrari F430. a 5 series with M sportpack (that bs again) is faster than a previous gen M5. ultimately, an electric family car will be as fast as $500K Lambo lol...

It's the driving feel, response, emotions that we experience and like in our sports cars, isn't it?
We love that amazing rumbling cold start of and engine, that sucking intake sound at minimum gas pedal, the screaming 8K motor + shifting on track, I-can-feel-fuking-everything-on-road steering rack, that laugh your ass off tunnel exhaust sound on daily commute.... if this is not the case, we might as well jus all end up with Tesla and drive 0-60 in 2 seconds every time & be satisfied.

In the end, the ONLY "character" that F8x M3 gave us was Turbo with 100+ torque and better MPG, that's it.

And having seen the new G 3 series and expecting how good the new G series M3 will be like as a turbo car, it will carry much more torque, looks better, sounds better (I'm sure M engineers have ears), drives better... better in every aspect compared to the F8X series.
so what was so special about the F8x gen? it will be easily forgotten...

Last edited by jaehshim; 12-01-2018 at 11:35 AM..
Appreciate 3
1SIK_I866.50
94jedi829.00
      12-01-2018, 11:21 AM   #36
madrit21
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaehshim View Post
Each M3 generation carries its own distinct character, and I believe that's what most people want to experience owning and driving an M car.
That's why in the middle of all these M sport, Sport pack, 440M 550M bullshit, a true M3/M4 cars stand strong as a historical model.

- nor did it ride good as previous gen (actually rides worse if you experienced both E9X and F8X)
- it did not have an outstanding exterior or interior (BMW is conservative in this area anyways)
- it sounds horrible, makes everyone jus cringe whenever it cold starts or drives by
- and most importantly it's just a tuned 335i motor in all seriousness...no individual throttle bodies, no high RPM motor that gave M character in all previous cars.

- it just rides better on road
- sounds like crazy
- motor is simply at the pinnacle of M division history, V8 NA 8400rpm, high compression (12.0), lightweight (light like 33lb lighter than an inline 6 NA S54, amazing response via individual throttle bodies

In the end, the ONLY "character" that F8x M3 gave us was Turbo with 100+ torque and better MPG, that's it.

And having seen the new G 3 series and expecting how good the new G series M3 will be like as a turbo car, it will carry much more torque, looks better, sounds better (I'm sure M engineers have ears), drives better...
Very well said. Agree 100 percent!
Appreciate 1
1SIK_I866.50
      12-01-2018, 05:23 PM   #37
1SIK_I8
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: I8

Quote:

- nor did it ride good on regular roads compared to previous gen (actually rides worse if you experienced both E9X and F8X)
- cheap plastics all over engine components, lighter yet weaker aluminum parts chassis + suspension (I don't know, mechanics seem to compare E9X to F3X on this manner a lot)
- and most importantly it's just a tuned 335i motor in all seriousness...no individual throttle bodies, no high compression, high RPM motor that gave M character in all previous cars.

- sounds like crazy

talk about speed? of course F8X will be faster, but in the same way a $50K audi compact sedan RS3 is faster than a ferrari F430. a 5 series with M sportpack (that bs again) is faster than a previous gen M5. ultimately, an electric family car will be as fast as $500K Lambo lol...

It's the driving feel, response, emotions that we experience and like in our sports cars, isn't it?
We love that amazing rumbling cold start of and engine, that sucking intake sound at minimum gas pedal, the screaming 8K motor + shifting on track, I-can-feel-fuking-everything-on-road steering rack, that laugh your ass off tunnel exhaust sound on daily commute.... if this is not the case, we might as well jus all end up with Tesla and drive 0-60 in 2 seconds every time & be satisfied.

And having seen the new G 3 series and expecting how good the new G series M3 will be like as a turbo car, it will carry much more torque, looks better, sounds better (I'm sure M engineers have ears), drives better... better in every aspect compared to the F8X series.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 06:21 PM   #38
Dr. Dre
the doctor
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Alpine White

Quote:

- sounds like crazy

Not so fast. I'm old enough and been around the car seen long enough to know that when the new generation comes along people say they are shit.

People now say the E46 M3 is the greatest car every(some peoples opinion). It wasn't that long that people were saying "it's too big & heavy". Now it's the greatest thing ever.

The 991 Porsche. People trashed it. Now that Porsche has gone to turbo the NA 991 is the greatest thing ever and are skyrocketing in value.

So again, not so fast. I have a good friend who had an F8X. He was a runner up in the SCCA national autocross a few years ago. He doesn't give a shit about how the car sound. He felt the F8X was a great car. He did a European delivery took it to the Ring & Spa.

A few years from now people might be saying the F8X M3 M4 is the greatest thing ever. The fact that you can make tons of power and the car does handle.

On a personal note the F8X looks is fucking amazing to me. I love it. I do agree that every time I hear it i want to puke.
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2018, 08:16 PM   #39
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I’d rather have an F80M3 than my E90M3 but my next car will have even more power and be AWD so it can put it down better.

Last edited by pbonsalb; 12-01-2018 at 09:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 08:16 PM   #40
TTony
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Macan Turbo, IS350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyzmi View Post
V8 sound + F8x power = supercharged S65. Have your cake and eat it too.
You need to heavily modify a F8x to get it to supercharged S65 acceleration figures.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 09:21 PM   #41
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3

I drove an F80 M3 several months ago and came away feeling underwhelmed. I was unimpressed. It wasn't just one thing either, it was everything the whole package. I'll start w/ the good -

Acceleration/Power- This thing has TQ to spare. hit the gas and it just moves. out. FAST.
Tech- we all love tech...the cool new racing seats, carbon fiber interior, and nav screens etc. I actually like all the possible combinations of chassis/steering/power (aka throttle map), etc.
Looks- The F80 M3 is just damn sexy. I love the thiccc hips (rear quarters), the hood, etc. I love it all, I'm a fan.
Performance - Maybe redundant to the first "good" point but it can't be overstated. On the track, this car is miles ahead of the e9x M3.

And now for the bad....

Exhaust note - I heard every damn exhaust...the Note from the s55 is just terrible. that said, based on performance alone, I might be willing to "live" with the farts and leaf-blower esque cold starts lol.
Seats - They look really good, especially in the comp pkg but they're sooooo uncomfortable.
Nav Screen - The is just an F-gen thing (LCI), maybe it'll grow on me but I hate the iPad on dash look.
Feel - Maybe it was due to the DCT but I just didn't have "fun" in the car and yes, I drove it hard. Like others have said, this feels like a German Camry.
Engagement - this car didn't make me want to blast to redline repeatedly in every gear. It didn't make me want to risk jail time. It didn't make me want to go straight to the nearest track or mountain road...It just didn't invoke any emotion from me.
Exclusivity - while I realize the e9x M3 is a dime a dozen, I see so many more F8x M's in my area. It's just NOT special.

So in conclusion, yes the last 4 of the "bad" are subjective but isn't that why we buy these cars? because of what we feel, and how they make us feel?

Now, an F10 M5...we'll that a different story for another day.
      12-02-2018, 06:52 AM   #42
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94jedi View Post
It didn't make me want to risk jail time. It didn't make me want to go straight to the nearest track or mountain road...It just didn't invoke any emotion from me.
Exactly how I feel when I'm on highway. On S65, I risk jail time because 6th gear 8,300rpm...

on F90 and F82 I test drove for some miles, I put it to cruise control and fell asleep.
F8x Chassis feels a lot lighter though, for its credit.
      12-03-2018, 01:29 AM   #43
Sid3waze
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18' e63, 08 m3 Vf 620

Garage List
2006 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 Mercedes E63s  [0.00]
You will regret it. I got rid of my m4 over a year ago and picked up an supercharged e92 with no regrets.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 10:48 AM   #44
i_love_cars
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6mt

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
Your issue sounds like a pretty ridiculous excuse to jump into a newer car.

The F8x will likely be trash compared to the G8x. Why not just save some extra money and wait for the G8x?