BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest

European Auto Source (EAS)

06-29-2017, 12:05 PM   #1
dnvrdrvr
Captain Obvious
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 VW GTI SE

Moving to Dallas

I recently accepted a job offer and will be relocating from Denver to Dallas in the next couple of months. Thought I'd reach out to see what the car scene is like in the Dallas area... and if anyone has any recommendations on where we should look to buy? We'll be down for at least one house-hunting trip in the upcoming weeks, but it'd be great to have some ideas on what to look for, and what to avoid.

Husband and I are kid-less, unless you count the 3 labs who greet us every night. We have a full garage: my E92 Individual Santorini, F31 dog-hauler, E36 racecar (NASA GTS2 spec), Chevy 2500, a class-C RV and enclosed trailer. So we're thinking an acre of land and a workshop with RV storage are must-haves. Because we're practical.

Edit to add: I have the Akra Evo (high-flow cats) system - do I need to worry about anything emissions related? I still have the stock setup... just contemplating if I need to bring it with me.

Pics for those who I know will ask

TIA for the tips!
Christina

Last edited by dnvrdrvr; 06-29-2017 at 12:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 11:01 AM   #2
dbyrd
DSC Off!
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 6MT ZCP

Hey Christina,
Warm soon-to-be welcome to big D! I think that you'll find an avid car enthusiast community in DFW - both street and track oriented. The pros include the track season lasting all year with preferred time in the winter since our summers are so damned hot - can you say Coolshirt? We have several tracks within a 3-5 hour drive. Also, no need to worried about inspection - you'll pass as long as you don't have an active fault code.

Lots of track-oriented support and shops with my favorite being Texas Track Works. Unfortunately, Forest and Kyle are in Fort Worth, but I find it well worth the drive. They do all of the usual mechanic work on street cars, but they also support several racers with NASA and travel to all the races and many local HPDE events. Those guys have saved my ass on numerous occasions. If that's too far for you (45ish min drive), try Clownshoe racing or Vorshlag (they don't just make camber plates).

With your real estate requirements, I don't have many recommendations. It sounds like you'll be looking outside of the metroplex if you're looking for at least an acre with a workshop. If you're looking closer to the city, check out Lakewood which is west of White Rock Lake. This is an older neighborhood with more of a community-focused vibe. Not inexpensive, but not the ticky-tacky suburbs with all that goes with that that you'll find in north Dallas.

BTW, love the E36! I'm looking for one myself - want to sell? I'll take the truck and trailer as well!

I'm running part of the WRL series this season, and we plan to run the 24-hour race at High Plains at the end of August - let me know if you have any tips or suggestions re: running there as Denver will be a first for all of us.

I look forward to meeting you and your husband at the track! Good luck with the move!

-Daniel Byrd
MCS 1WNR with 600/900 spring rates / Vorshlag camber plates / Apex ARC-8s with MSI studs / Stoptech Trophy ST-60/ST-40 / Cantrell Motorsports Brake Duct Kit / Cobalt Friction XR1, XR2s or PFC-11 pads / UUC Corsa axle-back with Fabspeed HFC and x-pipe / Schroth Quick Fit Pros / HANS Sport II / AA green filter / Coolshirt with large bag / Aim SoloDL with SmartyCam / CSF Radiator

Last edited by dbyrd; 07-01-2017 at 12:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2017, 03:33 PM   #3
Justin*
Private
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW M3

I'm in Fort worth. Only a 40 mile car ride away. Welcome. Car scene here is pretty big.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 01:44 PM   #4
dnvrdrvr
Captain Obvious
United_States
Rep

So much win in here Daniel - thank you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbyrd View Post
The pros include the track season lasting all year with preferred time in the winter since our summers are so damned hot - can you say Coolshirt?
Already have one. It's AMAZING.

Quote:
We have several tracks within a 3-5 hour drive.
Oh, I know. And I'm looking forward to learning them! COTA has me drooling...

Quote:
Also, no need to worried about inspection - you'll pass as long as you don't have an active fault code.

Quote:
Lots of track-oriented support and shops with my favorite being Texas Track Works. Unfortunately, Forest and Kyle are in Fort Worth, but I find it well worth the drive. They do all of the usual mechanic work on street cars, but they also support several racers with NASA and travel to all the races and many local HPDE events. Those guys have saved my ass on numerous occasions. If that's too far for you (45ish min drive), try Clownshoe racing or Vorshlag (they don't just make camber plates).
Awesome - thank you!!

Quote:
BTW, love the E36! I'm looking for one myself - want to sell? I'll take the truck and trailer as well!
Thanks! My husband built it. It's a TON of fun. Not selling... yet!

Quote:
I'm running part of the WRL series this season, and we plan to run the 24-hour race at High Plains at the end of August - let me know if you have any tips or suggestions re: running there as Denver will be a first for all of us.
I ran both the 12-hour and the 24-hour at HPR with WRL last year. I have plenty of tips & suggestions. PM me and we can connect via phone?

Last edited by dnvrdrvr; 07-13-2017 at 03:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 06:08 PM   #5
deansbimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Will be great to have another enthusiast in the area. Love the Santorini!

Regarding real estate... Not sure where your job will be or how far you want your commute to be, but an acre with workshop is doable in the metroplex but when we were looking for something like that a couple years ago, we'd have needed to spend a million or more to get a place that would have worked.

Fairview, Allen, Frisco, Lucas, Murphy, McKinney, Melissa, Anna, north Garland, are all cities north, and northeast of the Dallas metroplex that aren't so packed together yet that you could still find a VERY nice plot with workshop. Give those a look.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 03:29 PM   #6
dnvrdrvr
Captain Obvious
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deansbimmer View Post
Will be great to have another enthusiast in the area. Love the Santorini!
Thanks - me too.

Quote:
Regarding real estate... Not sure where your job will be or how far you want your commute to be, but an acre with workshop is doable in the metroplex but when we were looking for something like that a couple years ago, we'd have needed to spend a million or more to get a place that would have worked.

Fairview, Allen, Frisco, Lucas, Murphy, McKinney, Melissa, Anna, north Garland, are all cities north, and northeast of the Dallas metroplex that aren't so packed together yet that you could still find a VERY nice plot with workshop. Give those a look.
I'll be working downtown. Many of the cities you mentioned are on my radar for the reasons you call out. I'm trying to see if it'll be possible to live somewhat near a DART station so I can commute downtown that way instead of driving & trying to find parking. Heading down next weekend for a house-hunting trip... It'll be good to get the lay of the land!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 10:48 PM   #7
Elite47
Private
Rep
Drives: Pending

Beautiful car! Welcome to DFW!
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2017, 12:05 AM   #8
Browntrash
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e46 m3 6spd, e90 m3 6spd

Welcome!

traffic is getting worse by the day. May want to try and find something as close as possible to work. For reference - From frisco to downtown can take 45-60 minutes in the am. Without traffic it's about 35 min. Commute from Allen and McKinney is worse
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 10:43 AM   #9
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbyrd View Post
Hey Christina,
Warm soon-to-be welcome to big D! I think that you'll find an avid car enthusiast community in DFW - both street and track oriented. The pros include the track season lasting all year with preferred time in the winter since our summers are so damned hot - can you say Coolshirt? We have several tracks within a 3-5 hour drive. Also, no need to worried about inspection - you'll pass as long as you don't have an active fault code.

With your real estate requirements, I don't have many recommendations. It sounds like you'll be looking outside of the metroplex if you're looking for at least an acre with a workshop. If you're looking closer to the city, check out Lakewood which is west of White Rock Lake. This is an older neighborhood with more of a community-focused vibe. Not inexpensive, but not the ticky-tacky suburbs with all that goes with that that you'll find in north Dallas.

I look forward to meeting you and your husband at the track! Good luck with the move!

-Daniel Byrd
I managed to sneak onto a WRL team for HPR as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 03:30 PM   #10
dnvrdrvr
Captain Obvious
United_States
Rep

Alright, so I've been here almost two months. We ended up in Forney... which probably has you scratching your head based on the above thread. The commute from anywhere up north pretty much killed those options, and off of 20, I can get downtown in 30 minutes on any given day. And there's this:

S'anyway. Here's my question... my E92 didn't pass the State Inspection. Because the tint is too dark. I really REALLY don't want to have it redone. Am I SOL? Or is there a way around it? If I'm SOL, recommendations are appreciated...
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 05:06 PM   #11
deansbimmer
Rep

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Welcome and hope you're settling in nicely. Great looking place, looks like some serious garage action out back...

Some inspection places may overlook tint if they're super busy but they're not supposed to. If it's too dark its too dark. The state reworked the inspection process so that it made it next to impossible to grease the inspector and pass. I used to run dark tint but it became too much a hassle so I now run legal tint.

You can get a prescription from your doctor for an exemption, it just depends how far you want to go. You'll still get pulled over for dark tint, but when you hand them this exemption they have to let you go. Just make sure you're 100% legit every where else because they hate seeing these forms (most of them are frivolous) and will make a mission to find something else to ticket you for.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/internetforms/Forms/VI-4.pdf

I have a fantastic tint guy as well if you need to go that route.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 09:14 AM   #12
Patrón
PAZUZU
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
go to another station with your windows down, take the fuse out.

2009 M3 DCT ESS625+ SOLD
2015 M4 BSM/Silverstone F4LCON
@texasMclub IG @jagemoets
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 02:04 PM   #13
dnvrdrvr
Captain Obvious
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrón View Post
go to another station with your windows down, take the fuse out.
Windows down - awesome idea.

Take the fuse out though...? Not following what you mean.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 02:50 PM   #14
dnvrdrvr
Captain Obvious
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deansbimmer View Post
Welcome and hope you're settling in nicely. Great looking place, looks like some serious garage action out back...
Yeah, we needed trailer and RV storage in addition to the attached garage. Husband is already thinking it's too small and wants to bump it out... #firstworldproblems

Quote:
Some inspection places may overlook tint if they're super busy but they're not supposed to. If it's too dark its too dark. The state reworked the inspection process so that it made it next to impossible to grease the inspector and pass. I used to run dark tint but it became too much a hassle so I now run legal tint.

You can get a prescription from your doctor for an exemption, it just depends how far you want to go. You'll still get pulled over for dark tint, but when you hand them this exemption they have to let you go. Just make sure you're 100% legit every where else because they hate seeing these forms (most of them are frivolous) and will make a mission to find something else to ticket you for.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/internetforms/Forms/VI-4.pdf
People get prescriptions, for real? That's really committed to your tint! I'm mostly just bent about it because (based on my calculation) tags are already going to be $2500 or something ridiculous for a car I own outright. Plus, I bought the car with this tint and I know it's premium, so it kills me to have it peeled off and redone.

Quote:
I have a fantastic tint guy as well if you need to go that route.
Yes, please pm me the info. I'll try the suggestion Patron gave, but if that fails then I'll just go have it redone.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 03:58 PM   #15
deansbimmer
Rep

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrdrvr View Post
People get prescriptions, for real? That's really committed to your tint! I'm mostly just bent about it because (based on my calculation) tags are already going to be $2500 or something ridiculous for a car I own outright. Plus, I bought the car with this tint and I know it's premium, so it kills me to have it peeled off and redone.
It's easy on your trip to the doctor to ask them to write it. Just bring the DMV form and explain to the doc. It's not a big deal.

Not sure why you're having to pay so much for registration... You'll need to complete a 130-U title application but if you in fact own it you'll have a title to provide the DMV when you go to the tax office for a new title. Unless you're transferring ownership or trying to change names on the title there shouldn't be any other significant fees..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 09:33 AM   #16
Patrón
PAZUZU
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Windows down - awesome idea.

Take the fuse out though...? Not following what you mean.
so they don't try and roll them up.

2009 M3 DCT ESS625+ SOLD
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 10:31 AM   #17
rickyboycz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E70 X5 35D

Garage List
I had the same issue on my E46 M3 recently. I decided to remove the tint on my front windows and leave the back rear windows the same dark tint. I'll then get the legal tint on the front windows at some point in the future. Doesn't bother me if the front tint is a little lighter than the back tint.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 06:51 AM   #18
Bucki14
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 DCT | Lotus Evora 400

HI

Hey Christina,

Small world..you may not remember but I reached out to you once when I was visiting family in Denver to see your M3! Unfortunately you put it up for the winter and sent me some drool worthy pics. Cool to see you moved to Dallas! I also just moved here so hopefully that means I can finally see a santorini blue m3 in person.

Instagram: boostedtrav_
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/boostedtrav
Appreciate 1
Patrón543.00
      01-10-2018, 11:14 AM   #19
Patrón
PAZUZU
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucki14 View Post
Hey Christina,

Small world..you may not remember but I reached out to you once when I was visiting family in Denver to see your M3! Unfortunately you put it up for the winter and sent me some drool worthy pics. Cool to see you moved to Dallas! I also just moved here so hopefully that means I can finally see a santorini blue m3 in person.
love your mod list, requested you on instagram

2009 M3 DCT ESS625+ SOLD
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 09:04 AM   #20
dnvrdrvr
Captain Obvious
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucki14 View Post
Hey Christina,

I'm just now seeing this - I'm hardly ever on here anymore. Yeah, I remember! So, it's not in storage anymore! Sadly, it's mostly sitting on a trickle charger in the garage though while we work through getting settled. I really want to get to a C&C sometime soon, we should coordinate!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 09:08 AM   #21
dnvrdrvr
Captain Obvious
United_States
Rep

State Inspection - finally passed

So. It turns out the Akra Delete-R module resets EVERYTHING every time you start the car. Which means every time I looked at in the OBD reader I have (and what the OBD reader the state inspection peeps use), the engine registered as Not Ready. I'd guess I ran through 8-10 drive cycles... complete nightmare. Finally took the entire Akra setup off, bolted up the OEM setup and ran it to a different inspection site... who said the car is gorgeous and they loved the tint.
Appreciate 1
Patrón543.00
      02-06-2018, 09:13 AM   #22
Ben Ingraham
On-Ramp Speedway Champion
Rep
Drives: 2009 SS E90 M3

Quote:
Alright, so I've been here almost two months. We ended up in Forney... which probably has you scratching your head based on the above thread. The commute from anywhere up north pretty much killed those options, and off of 20, I can get downtown in 30 minutes on any given day. And there's this:

S'anyway. Here's my question... my E92 didn't pass the State Inspection. Because the tint is too dark. I really REALLY don't want to have it redone. Am I SOL? Or is there a way around it? If I'm SOL, recommendations are appreciated...
Why didn't you just stay with Colorado plates?
Appreciate 0