BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

03-17-2020, 06:21 PM   #155
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatth View Post
Still thinking about 80a or 95a poly to replace the OE foam mount, but OE rubber in the other 2 spots. I would replace bolts when swapping mounts.
Looking forward to hearing your review on this!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 07:44 PM   #156
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

The OE foam mount is 90% solid aluminum with just a think layer of foam around the outside. I am curious whether 80A poly would allow any less movement.
Appreciate 1
wyatth3542.50
      03-17-2020, 08:49 PM   #157
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

I think it’d be 2 fold, both less initial movement and a single material with longevity. The foam layer seems to break down and that creates the increased movement that leads to broken bolts.
Not sure what I’ll do with the diff. I don’t want diff whine on this car.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 06:04 AM   #158
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

I drove a convertible with solid aluminum diff and subframe bushings. It whined less noticeably than my sedan with 95A diff and 75D subframe bushings. Probably due to additional sound deadening that convertibles have but possibly due to other body structure changes.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 12:42 AM   #159
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

^ That's wild! The idea of solid diff bushings has my ears ringing.
AKG 95A subframe and diff bushings is my only experience (E46M) in this area. I liked the feel, and while the whine was very minor, I'd rather skip that on this car.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 02:46 AM   #160
North.E92
Private
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
It does not happen to many but it has happened to a few. I run stiffer diff bushings for exactly that reason and put up with a little whine. Mine are AKG black, so 95A. Powerflex purple are 80A, much softer but still slightly harder than rubber.

Which bolt broke? One of the fronts or the rear?
It’s mainly manual where the bolt breaks. The other guy in here that upgraded to purple and doesn’t notice a difference is probably because he’s DCT I don’t think many dct cars have this issue. I’m not an expert but I hear guys with super chargers also have this problem with either transmission.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 06:00 AM   #161
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

Is it one of the two front bolts that breaks or the single rear bolt?

I recall reading of people with 80A purple diff bushings complaining about whine. Driving style can play a roll. The rpm at which whine occurs is in a limited rpm range, which of course varies by gear. You will likely only notice it in the upper gears when traveling at a steady speed in the particular rpm range. Some people may drive in such a way that that they tend to avoid the rpm range or pass through it quickly. That is not the case for me. I notice it in 6th of my 6MT when cruising on the highway probably in the 55-70 mph range. I changed my bushings years ago and don’t really pay attention to the whine anymore, but if I did, I could pick a narrower speed range at which I hear it most; my recollection of 55-70 covers onset speed through tapering off speed.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 11:22 AM   #162
tigermack
OPN DIFF
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 10' E90 M3 6MT LB

Garage List
2010 M3  [0.00]
1995 BMW e36 325i  [7.91]
2006 BMW e90 330i  [8.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by North.E92 View Post
It’s mainly manual where the bolt breaks. The other guy in here that upgraded to purple and doesn’t notice a difference is probably because he’s DCT I don’t think many dct cars have this issue. I’m not an expert but I hear guys with super chargers also have this problem with either transmission.
I wonder if it's from aggressive driving, dumping clutch on shifts and the extra driveline vibration causes the bolt to break over time. I have a friend that broke it twice, he shifts hard. My bro has been autocrossing my car and I notice he shifts hard af... I can't imagine it being good for that.

Autocross vids https://www.youtube.com/user/tigermack
https://www.instagram.com/tigermack
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 06:43 PM   #163
VictorH
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

10,000 mile update!
Well, as everyone knows on the street the solid subframe bushing have no downside. And, in fact, in my street driving I can't tell one whit of difference either positive or negative. I think the "the rear feels more planted" on the street is placebo effect.

However, I can absolutely confirm one place where it absolutely makes a difference. Ran VIR last fall and didn't really think about it until I ran VIR again just this past weekend. Those of you who know the track know that at the start-finish line the pavement is uneven and when you come down the front straight with a big head of steam and under full-throttle deep into 4th gear the stock rear end squirms around a bit. I've had driver's I've been running with tell me, "your rear is squirming and dancing around quite a bit," at that point in the track.

For some reason it was only evident to me after another driver noted how his rear end is not "planted" in the exact same section, this past weekend. Then I realized that the rear subframe bushings made a big difference right there. When your car is rock solid and not squirming around you don't think about what it used to be like, you just motor right long and life is good. So, objectively that's one spot and one situation where there's absolutely no question the solid subframe bushings are really doing what they're supposed to. This is a high-speed, moderate load situation and that's where the effectiveness of this mod really shows.
No change in my opinion on the diff bushings, you can see my other posts.
Appreciate 2
exVtekGuy115.00
gmx166.00
      10-26-2020, 10:20 PM   #164
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorH View Post
10,000 mile update!
Well, as everyone knows on the street the solid subframe bushing have no downside. And, in fact, in my street driving I can't tell one whit of difference either positive or negative. I think the "the rear feels more planted" on the street is placebo effect.

However, I can absolutely confirm one place where it absolutely makes a difference. Ran VIR last fall and didn't really think about it until I ran VIR again just this past weekend. Those of you who know the track know that at the start-finish line the pavement is uneven and when you come down the front straight with a big head of steam and under full-throttle deep into 4th gear the stock rear end squirms around a bit. I've had driver's I've been running with tell me, "your rear is squirming and dancing around quite a bit," at that point in the track.

For some reason it was only evident to me after another driver noted how his rear end is not "planted" in the exact same section, this past weekend. Then I realized that the rear subframe bushings made a big difference right there. When your car is rock solid and not squirming around you don't think about what it used to be like, you just motor right long and life is good. So, objectively that's one spot and one situation where there's absolutely no question the solid subframe bushings are really doing what they're supposed to. This is a high-speed, moderate load situation and that's where the effectiveness of this mod really shows.
No change in my opinion on the diff bushings, you can see my other posts.
I've seen a 335i with stock subframe bushings (softer than M3 but still rubber) do a side-to-side wiggle with its rear end while at normal street speeds (60-70kph?) going over a relatively smooth bridge joint. It shocked me how much movement there was, I would say at least an inch of sideways displacement cos I could see it with my naked eye while driving behind the 335i. And it took like 2-3 cycles to settle. I've felt the same movement under the same conditions before in my M3 but seeing it move that much was a bit of a shock. My car now has solid subframe bushes - zero wiggle and as you have said, zero NVH on street.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 10:27 PM   #165
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
The difference with solid sfb was extremely noticeable on my first 1st-2nd gear wot on the bumpy/wavey Seattle streets. I've been told I have a hyper sensitive tush since my very first track day though, so everyone's experience will differ. I wasn't really expecting anything more than a reduction in wheel hop.
      02-22-2021, 10:58 PM   #166
Matthew III
Smooth Operator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
hey guys, I'm plagued by a whine from my diff. After reading this thread, I dont know if its the internals in the diff or diff bushings. I can reproduce this sound when I lightly throttle around 65mph, most notable in 6th gear:
. Appreciate the help
Appreciate 0