BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

View Poll Results: Make your mark or draw a line in the sand
I drive both and like them both 36 14.40%
I drive a MT and would never touch anything else 51 20.40%
I drive a M-DCT and would never touch anything else 21 8.40%
I drive a MT and often think I should have gone for M-DCT 11 4.40%
I drive a M-DCT and often think should have gone for a MT 8 3.20%
I test drove both and decided for the MT never regretted it 32 12.80%
I test drove both and decided for the M-DCT never regretted it 39 15.60%
There is nothing better then the good old BMW MT. 28 11.20%
Best thing since sliced bread this great BMW M-DCT 52 20.80%
I have no opinion on the matter I drive anything 16 6.40%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 250. You may not vote on this poll

08-11-2012, 09:39 AM   #1
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Arrow Voice your opinion about your Transmission... Let's vote :)

Let us all make our mark in this poll about what transmission on our M3 makes us tick

I think I covered all the bases sorry f I missed some, then no one is perfect

Result should be fun or? What do you think?

Now this is NOT meant to be a MT verses M-DCT thread (like so many others) let us simply just make a mark so to let other people that plan to purchase an M3 know what you and I think about it.

EDIT ---> Remember it's an open multiple choice poll so be sure to make your mark or marks

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 08-12-2012 at 10:09 AM.. Reason: small addition and added EDIT --->
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 09:51 AM   #2
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

I checked the last box. When i bought my car, I didn't care much whether I got a 6MT or DCT. As long as the S65 was under that hood, that's all it mattered to me.

Of course, I didn't build my car or anything, I searched and found the car with the key features I care more about: E90, fold down rear seats, SSII, tech package.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 10:05 AM   #3
Ghetto2315
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW i8

Garage List
OP, you forgot "I drive a M-DCT because I can't drive a MT and won't admit it, so I tell everyone M-DCT is better than MT to justify my decision"
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 10:08 AM   #4
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto2315 View Post
OP, you forgot "I drive a M-DCT because I can't drive a MT and won't admit it, so I tell everyone M-DCT is better than MT to justify my decision"
I believe, i think there are few out there.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 10:30 AM   #5
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto2315 View Post
I try to be a Gentleman at all times so I avoid those kind of questions

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 11:23 AM   #6
pharmdphd98
PharM3
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3RD View Post
Let us all make our mark in this poll about what transmission makes us tick

I think I covered all the bases

Result should be fun or? What do you think?
There should be two more categories: those who have actually owned a DCT and disliked it enough to switch to 6MT and vice versa. Test drive is not sufficient to give you a real sense of how much fun/easy the transmission is to live with. The fact that you made this post tells me you are thinking about this issue after owning both gearboxes. Please shed some light on the matter because I sold a 6MT and ordered a DCT for ED in November!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 11:36 AM   #7
pharmdphd98
PharM3
Rep

Oh, by the way, I would have voted "6MT in the M3 is not satisfying enough so it made the DCT a more attractive option"

What BMW has done is simultaneous selling a manual gearbox that is robust but unsatisfying to drive while making available one of the very best automated gearboxes in the world for us to "choose". For those of us who have the extra cash the choice is kind of made for us. One only has to look at the ionic figure of the M3 family, the M3 GTS, to see that BMW has chosen the DCT as THE only tranny option for the top dog in the M3 family.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 11:37 AM   #8
///Montreal3
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E92 M3

Drove both and went with M-DCT as I felt it is better matched to the motor.

I also own a gated 5MT and another 6MT, so I wasn't too worried about not getting my MT fix.

I really don't think you can go wrong with these S65-powered M3s - just get what you like!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 12:02 PM   #9
BimmFiniti
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 Coupe, Comp Pkg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmdphd98 View Post
Oh, by the way, I would have voted "6MT in the M3 is not satisfying enough so it made the DCT a more attractive option"

What BMW has done is simultaneous selling a manual gearbox that is robust but unsatisfying to drive while making available one of the very best automated gearboxes in the world for us to "choose". For those of us who have the extra cash the choice is kind of made for us. One only has to look at the ionic figure of the M3 family, the M3 GTS, to see that BMW has chosen the DCT as THE only tranny option for the top dog in the M3 family.
Not sure I understand the issue people have with the M3 6MT. My initial impression with it was that it was OK, but after living with it for the past 6 months, I really like it. It has a "snicky", precise nature that is pretty unique. I've owned many MT cars. Here's my ranking of the transmission - and clutch - for some of the cars I've owned:

1) (tie) 2002 Porsche 911 (996), 2007 Porsche Cayman S
2) 2010 E90 M3
3) 2006 Civic Si
4) 2001 E46 330i (still own)
5) 2002 Infiniti G35 coupe
6) 1985 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE
      08-11-2012, 12:17 PM   #10
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

Quote:
There should be two more categories: those who have actually owned a DCT and disliked it enough to switch to 6MT and vice versa. Test drive is not sufficient to give you a real sense of how much fun/easy the transmission is to live with. The fact that you made this post tells me you are thinking about this issue after owning both gearboxes. Please shed some light on the matter because I sold a 6MT and ordered a DCT for ED in November!
I am doing the same as I am trading my 6MT for a DCT. I have the DCT on order for PCD in October. I like the 6MT don't get me wrong, this is my 3rd 6MT equipped BMW, but it's time for a change. I want the DCT for the track and I am sick of dealing with the 6MT in stop and go traffic on my daily commute.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 12:17 PM   #11
Parkanzky
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '10 SGM M3

I was very anti flappys paddles and was actively looking for a nice e90 with three pedals when a friend twisted my arm into taking his DCT equipped e90 on a country drive. I bought a DCT car a couple weeks later.

I'm still a big manual transmission fan, but I suddenly understood what people were talking about when they said how great DCT is in this car. It suits it perfectly. If I were buying a 911 I'd be shopping for a manual transmission. But this motor feels to me like it belongs with the DCT.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 12:19 PM   #12
pharmdphd98
PharM3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmFiniti View Post
Not sure I understand the issue people have with the M3 6MT. My initial impression with it was that it was OK, but after living with it for the past 6 months, I really like it. It has a "snicky", precise nature that is pretty unique. I've owned many MT cars. Here's my ranking of the transmission - and clutch - for some of the cars I've owned:

1) (tie) 2002 Porsche 911 (996), 2007 Porsche Cayman S
2) 2010 E90 M3
3) 2006 Civic Si
4) 2001 E46 330i (still own)
5) 2002 Infiniti G35 coupe
6) 1985 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE
As many have pointed out in the past, "feel" of a gearbox is somewhat subjectie; however, many owners have complained about the lack of precision in the M3 6MT. I LOVE manual gearboxes because they are far more involving to drive; the problem is that I have noticed that the imprecision of the manual box has not only slowed me down but caused me embarassment when my passenger tells me, "it looks like you really have struggle/work hard to shift gears in this car". I am a manual veteran with 24 years of experience and currently also own a 2010 135i 6MT. The gearbox in the 135 actually outperforms the one in the M3. This should not happen in a $70K car that is supposed to be one of the best cars in the world.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 01:18 PM   #13
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
I've owned both. Each for about 2 years. I love driving a manual. I'd still be driving the DCT though, if it hadn't tried to kill me so many times.

I honestly believe the DCT is the right transmission for these cars even though I drive a manual. My experience with the DCT was not typical.

Dinan compliment of stuff plus PF rotors and RG63s. Enough for now.
Why, yes. I am an abrasive bastard.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 01:59 PM   #14
dom_cmh
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

My God this thread isn't needed. This discussion is getting so old. It's like talking politics. 6mt lovers like feel and tradition. DCT folks love the technology and speed. Blah blah. Who cares. Enjoy your car and stop trying to prove why your tranny is better if you like it.

Btw 6MT all the way!!!

Summer Fun - 2016 F80 M3 | Tanzanite | Black FULL Leather | 6MT | Executive | Lighting | Driver Assist | Adaptive Suspension | 19" Black Wheels | Black Grills & Sides | Roof
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 02:03 PM   #15
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Well let me say this; my first BMW MT was (and still in our famaly) a 1987 BMW 535is the car has a great gear box and shifts are smooth as silk. I still here and then drive this car when my daughter lets me drive it

I mentioned this since I also owned three other M3's before the one I am driving now. The first one was a e46 with SMG transmission, I had no complains about that car or transmission at all. The other two M3's both e92 had MT and I had no problems at all only I disliked the stiffnes during the shifting (nothing like the e28 MT I mentioned earlier).

I have to admit I often thought about (while driving the e92 MT) that I should have gotten a M-DCT only like many others I shopped for the best price and purchased those cars from the dealer off the lot.

Then along came the situation earlier this year when the wife mentioned "We should really go to only one car now that we are retired" Well after a few days discussion she agreed to get rid of her car if I get an automatic. Well more discussion followed and she agreed that I can trade my then almost new M3 wit MT for a new one with M-DCT.

Needless to say I went right to it and found the right car (having options I was looking for). The problem is that shortly after I got the new car home with M-DCT the wife changed her mind and anounced she better keep her car. All is well that ends well as the saying goes, having that second car allows me to keep the M3 in the garage when it rains and it will stay parked in the winter time.

Bottom LIne, both transmissions are fine it is all a matter of personal preference as far as I am concerned. No worries you will love your's once you pick her up in München at Die Welt delivery centre. They will treat you like a king. Once you take her on the road (in busy München traffic) you will be glad you decided on the M-DCT.

Do I miss the MT ... sure I do here and then I do, then I can always use the paddles or the shift. With the M-DCT we always have those options and listening to the rev matching sound with the windows open is priceless.

Happy trails my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom_cmh View Post
My God this thread isn't needed. This discussion is getting so old. It's like talking politics. 6mt lovers like feel and tradition. DCT folks love the technology and speed. Blah blah. Who cares. Enjoy your car and stop trying to prove why your tranny is better if you like it.

Btw 6MT all the way!!!
It's not meant to be a thread per say ... it's a poll to make your mark or draw that line in the sand is all did you leave your mark?

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 08-11-2012 at 02:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 03:31 PM   #16
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

I couldn't make up my mind so I checked every box
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 03:35 PM   #17
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Porsche Cayman

Garage List
Option #2.
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe(forced retirement 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe(retired 06/21/11
)
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 08:14 PM   #18
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Your post title was incredible poorly chosen. I came very close to ignoring it. Something that explains the poll topic is advised.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 09:21 AM   #19
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Your post title was incredible poorly chosen. I came very close to ignoring it. Something that explains the poll topic is advised.
Thanks you make a good point I made the change hope it helps.

PS. I started this poll since there never was one on this subject (only endless discussions). I think it might help others in future (those that like to get a M3 and not have one yet). We nearly had 500 people look in here and only some 79 voting ... this tells me that many others look in here that not yet own a M3 ... perhaps thinking about it.

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 08-12-2012 at 09:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 11:41 PM   #20
HALOTHANE
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: INTERLAGOS ZCP

Garage List
I owned a 1M (6MT) and now drive an E92 M3 ZCP (DCT). Having driven manual cars my entire life, I never considered an automatic. The DCT is different, however. It suits the M3 like the manual suits the 1M. Both great. Both different. Both involving.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 08:52 AM   #21
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MVO View Post
I owned a 1M (6MT) and now drive an E92 M3 ZCP (DCT). Having driven manual cars my entire life, I never considered an automatic. The DCT is different, however. It suits the M3 like the manual suits the 1M. Both great. Both different. Both involving.
looks like a 50/50 split ... near to it anyway ... nice that we have a choice

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 10:21 AM   #22
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
Voted for 6MT, I'll always pick it as long as it is available... any car.
bs.
Appreciate 0