BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

09-09-2020, 10:54 AM   #1277
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
Hey brettcp do you have access to BMW diagnostics software? I checked my car for a separate error for a failed wheel speed sensor and I noticed the CIC, MOST, CID all had errors for communication. When I ran a normal OBD scan reader (BimmerLink App), I didn't see the errors. How interesting! I do not believe I had these errors with the V2 old harness, and I did have them with the V1 module.
Have an ICOM and a Carly adapter. We turned in our 430i lease a few weeks ago and I accidentally left the Carly adapter in the car.. by the time i realized it, car was long gone.. so I ordered a new Gen 3 carly adapter (much faster/more reliable than the gen2 btw). Plugged it in to the M3 just to check it out and sure enough I had a handful of communication errors logged. Looked at the detail and a couple of them referenced communication errors with the climate control panel and iDrive. Well when installing/removing my V2 carplay unit, I had disconnected the climate control panel, the iDrive controller, etc on multiple occasions. I think they were stored codes from when those were disconnected.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 11:15 AM   #1278
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettcp View Post
Have an ICOM and a Carly adapter. We turned in our 430i lease a few weeks ago and I accidentally left the Carly adapter in the car.. by the time i realized it, car was long gone.. so I ordered a new Gen 3 carly adapter (much faster/more reliable than the gen2 btw). Plugged it in to the M3 just to check it out and sure enough I had a handful of communication errors logged. Looked at the detail and a couple of them referenced communication errors with the climate control panel and iDrive. Well when installing/removing my V2 carplay unit, I had disconnected the climate control panel, the iDrive controller, etc on multiple occasions. I think they were stored codes from when those were disconnected.

Ahh. I ran ISTA+, and the errors are still currently present even after a clear fault memory. It's rather annoying to see when I'm checking for other issues.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 11:00 AM   #1279
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I noticed this as well.. I was experiencing poor BT call quality with my iPhone (11 pro max), a bit garbled/static sounding. Lots of iPhone users are reporting the same issue when using a recent iPhone model with an E9x BMW - tons of posts on the Apple forums, several on E90post as well.

After installing the carplay unit, the call quality issues went away completely and calls all sounded great.

I only realized this after removing the carplay unit a couple of weeks ago when the quality went back to being poor.
I think that as iPhones/iOS progress, the quality between the E9x stock bluetooth system and the phone is actually getting worse. Back with my iphone 10 I remember the BT quality issues were just occasional crackling/static on some calls. Now with my iPhone 11 and iOS 14 (beta 8), the crackling/static is on every single call, and is now also present with BT/combox music as well. I've only taken the E93 M3 out maybe 4-5 times over the last few weeks, but each time I have, the BT quality issue is so bad that I've just plugged the phone in via wired USB and used Spotify via BMW Apps (interface is nowhere near as good as carplay, but at least the sound quality is good).

Having the carplay unit installed eliminated this issue completely. Missing it already just for this reason. Seems our cars are showing their age nowadays with regard to tech. I checked the latest ISTA/P and even though they are incrementing the version numbers for the E9x platform, there haven't been any updates/changes applicable to any modules in my car.. seems they're not updating it any longer - understandable given its a couple generations behind at this point, just wish they'd address the BT issues.

On another note, a friend of mine has a 2008 E60 M5, we ordered the Kremersino V3 unit for his car (which is the older CCC, not CIC - they're charging $100 more for the CCC version for some reason). I'll be helping with the install, should have it soon. Curious to see the differences between it and the V2 I had.. the V1 and V3 units appear to be a Limcet, where the V2 is a GPLink. He has an iPhone 10 and doesn't get the crackling/static like I do with CIC, but he does say the BT connection disconnects frequently. I would think that installing carplay would eliminate this issue as we'll no longer be using the factory BT at all.. we'll see. Does anybody with the V1/V3 unit have any feedback regarding the microphone audio quality? The V2 unit was perfect as it used the BMW OEM microphone.. my concern is the quality of using an external mic.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 12:27 PM   #1280
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
I think that as iPhones/iOS progress, the quality between the E9x stock bluetooth system and the phone is actually getting worse. Back with my iphone 10 I remember the BT quality issues were just occasional crackling/static on some calls. Now with my iPhone 11 and iOS 14 (beta 8), the crackling/static is on every single call, and is now also present with BT/combox music as well. I've only taken the E93 M3 out maybe 4-5 times over the last few weeks, but each time I have, the BT quality issue is so bad that I've just plugged the phone in via wired USB and used Spotify via BMW Apps (interface is nowhere near as good as carplay, but at least the sound quality is good).

Having the carplay unit installed eliminated this issue completely. Missing it already just for this reason. Seems our cars are showing their age nowadays with regard to tech. I checked the latest ISTA/P and even though they are incrementing the version numbers for the E9x platform, there haven't been any updates/changes applicable to any modules in my car.. seems they're not updating it any longer - understandable given its a couple generations behind at this point, just wish they'd address the BT issues.

On another note, a friend of mine has a 2008 E60 M5, we ordered the Kremersino V3 unit for his car (which is the older CCC, not CIC - they're charging $100 more for the CCC version for some reason). I'll be helping with the install, should have it soon. Curious to see the differences between it and the V2 I had.. the V1 and V3 units appear to be a Limcet, where the V2 is a GPLink. He has an iPhone 10 and doesn't get the crackling/static like I do with CIC, but he does say the BT connection disconnects frequently. I would think that installing carplay would eliminate this issue as we'll no longer be using the factory BT at all.. we'll see. Does anybody with the V1/V3 unit have any feedback regarding the microphone audio quality? The V2 unit was perfect as it used the BMW OEM microphone.. my concern is the quality of using an external mic.
The Combox is either Bluetooth version 3.0 or 4.0 based on the timeline of Bluetooth Techonology. I have an iPhone 11 Pro and it uses Bluetooth 5.1. I'm not clear if the issue is the chip is poort at 3.0/4.0 (Now called BTLE) standards or if it is actually the combox's fault. These ACP modules most likely have newer 5.0+ chips in them and can work with the higher standard without issues. I don't use the phone very often in the car but the Carplay Phone audio quality was dramatically better than the Combox version.

I believe the last update for modules was 2016 for our cars based on the I-step psdzdata pdfs I've seen awhile back. They Don't list E9x anymore.
Appreciate 1
brettcp348.00
      09-14-2020, 08:34 PM   #1281
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I noticed this as well.. I was experiencing poor BT call quality with my iPhone (11 pro max), a bit garbled/static sounding. Lots of iPhone users are reporting the same issue when using a recent iPhone model with an E9x BMW - tons of posts on the Apple forums, several on E90post as well.

After installing the carplay unit, the call quality issues went away completely and calls all sounded great.

I only realized this after removing the carplay unit a couple of weeks ago when the quality went back to being poor.

I have had significant mic issues with V1 using the external mic that Kremersino was not able to resolve so I just use OEM Bluetooth for calls with my CIC and iPhone 10. People complained it sounded awful when I did calls over the v1 external mic on CarPlay.
      09-15-2020, 02:59 PM   #1282
admator
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: 06 E60

Hi guys,

i have E60 2006 with retrofited CIC with Combox. I installed Andream CarPlay, but iDrive knob does not work.

Connection1:
When is iDrive knob connected like normal, can only control CIC. (can't turn on carplay)

Connection2:
When is iDrive knob connected thru the wires from Carplay unit, does not work at all... (the backlight is also off)

CarPlay turns on automatically when a key is inserted but it cannot be controlled. I also connected iPhone and navi is working but cant do any move in CarPlay.. Would anyone please help? I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 03:04 PM   #1283
smass
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 325i - 10 335i

Garage List
2010 E90 335i  [0.00]
2016 F15 35i  [0.00]
2003 E53 3.0  [0.00]
2006 E90 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by admator View Post
Hi guys,

i have E60 2006 with retrofited CIC with Combox. I installed Andream CarPlay, but iDrive knob does not work.

Connection1:
When is iDrive knob connected like normal, can only control CIC. (can't turn on carplay)

Connection2:
When is iDrive knob connected thru the wires from Carplay unit, does not work at all... (the backlight is also off)

CarPlay turns on automatically when a key is inserted but it cannot be controlled. I also connected iPhone and navi is working but cant do any move in CarPlay.. Would anyone please help? I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.
Did you add the controller wiring when you did the retrofit? If so, make the can bus wiring shorter. There may be some can bus wiring running down the console. I had a similar issue when I ran a longer can bus wire to the back of the CIC.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 03:14 PM   #1284
admator
Slovakia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smass View Post
Did you add the controller wiring when you did the retrofit? If so, make the can bus wiring shorter. There may be some can bus wiring running down the console. I had a similar issue when I ran a longer can bus wire to the back of the CIC.
Thank you for your response

If I remember correctly, I just unpin the old connector to the new one .. (a lot of cables remained unconnected) the old connector was quite large .. now I guess there's a 4 pin ..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 09:26 PM   #1285
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hi guys,

Connection1:

Connection2:

Thank you.
I don't think we've seen much regarding Andream in this thread.. in your phone's carplay settings does it show as Limcet, GPLink, or something else?

The Kremersino unit that's popular in this thread has a wiring harness which taps into the bottom of the iDrive controller, and you hold "Menu" on the iDrive controller to switch between the factory iDrive and the Carplay interface.

The inability to control the carplay unit via the iDrive controller reminds me of the Kremersino v2 when they sent the updated cable.. you had to first update the MCU firmware, then install the updated cable (otherwise the iDrive controller wouldn't work to control carplay).
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 09:58 PM   #1286
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
I don't think we've seen much regarding Andream in this thread.. in your phone's carplay settings does it show as Limcet, GPLink, or something else?

The Kremersino unit that's popular in this thread has a wiring harness which taps into the bottom of the iDrive controller, and you hold "Menu" on the iDrive controller to switch between the factory iDrive and the Carplay interface.

The inability to control the carplay unit via the iDrive controller reminds me of the Kremersino v2 when they sent the updated cable.. you had to first update the MCU firmware, then install the updated cable (otherwise the iDrive controller wouldn't work to control carplay).
I agree with Brett. The Kremersino unit appears to have a MCU setting that decides if it is using a quad-lock connector or the in-line iDrive controller harness for controlling Carplay. Maybe you should email Andream for some assistance.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 10:20 PM   #1287
cooler2442
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 1/18 Monte Carlo Blue E92 M3

Garage List
What's a good shop that does this install in Los Angeles that's fair in price?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 01:46 AM   #1288
admator
Slovakia
Rep

Quote:

In phone settings, I have GPLink.

This Andream unit should by working the same like you said about Kremersino and the wiring harness is also taps into the bottom of the iDrive controller.

How can i check the version of Andream unit? It still comes to me strange that the backlight of the controller does not light up .. as if something was wrongly connected. (only when is connected thru the CarPlay wiring). Andream support does not like retrofiting.. what I found out..

This is what my iDrive controller 4 pin connector looks like:
Attached Images

Last edited by admator; 09-16-2020 at 07:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 08:01 AM   #1289
LeMow
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 sdrive23i

Hi I'm currently watching this forum for a while and even I'm quite impressed by all the work done to identify and share tips with the different solutions to add carplay to our Bimmer, I still have a few questions regarding my future install on my e89 2009 CIC with bluetooth phone capacity and aux & USB port in my central armrest. I'm currently using it with a tune2air Bluetooth adapter which give me satisfaction.

I'm looking for the best solution to match OEM.
Therefore I'm quite confused with the kremersino v1/v2/v3, which doesn't seem to match all my criteria, which are the best sound quality in output audio and input microphone.

As I understand, I have to choose between audio quality with v1/v3 which come with DSP and a stand-alone bad microphone i have to mount somewhere on my steering wheel
And mic quality with the v2 which use OEM microphone but doesn't handle well Bluetooth audio through combo box Bluetooth and lacks DSP if using AUX port.

V1/v3 user : do you have a quite comparable result with the standalone microphone and OEM Bluetooth phone while calling through Carplay?
As a convertible driver, I'm going to make sometime phone call with top down !

Does anyone tried to add a usb powered DAC+DSP between aux output from kremersino V2 box and aux car input. It can allow to tweak the signal and correct the lack of bass, even boost the quality of signal? I'm thinking about
https://www.kiwi-electronics.nl/hifi...ac-dsp?lang=en

V2 user : -As My car doesn't come with combo box Bluetooth option, do you know if V2 It could work with my tune2air a2dp adapter for music, and use OEM mic while phoning?
Can someone explain how v2 box uses OEM mic ? Is it using OEM mic as if it was plugged directly in the unit, or is it simple software switching between audio speaker and OEM Bluetooth as if I was choosing it in-call screen on iPhone by clicking into the speaker button?
There was indeed someone speaking about problem with carplay not correctly switching back to audio after call?

- In the other hand there are other brands that are mentioned such as Bimmertech MMI box and integrated-automotive IMI1000 which even been pricy seems to match the 2 criteria of OEM mic & aux audio with DSP.
Does someone which have already bought and installed these box can confirm it works flawlessly and justify the extra cash?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 11:13 AM   #1290
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
In phone settings, I have GPLink.

This Andream unit should by working the same like you said about Kremersino and the wiring harness is also taps into the bottom of the iDrive controller.

How can i check the version of Andream unit? It still comes to me strange that the backlight of the controller does not light up .. as if something was wrongly connected. (only when is connected thru the CarPlay wiring). Andream support does not like retrofiting.. what I found out..

This is what my iDrive controller 4 pin connector looks like:
With the Kremersino, the included wiring harness has a 4 pin male and a 4 pin female connector - you unplug the factory 4 pin make connector and plug it into the Kremersino 4 pin female connector, then plug the 4 pin Kremersino male connector into your iDrive controller. The harness is just "tapping" into the original iDrive controller this way. I'm not clear on what that 8 pin connector in your photo is.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 07:46 PM   #1291
georgebmwM3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.00]
2017 Camaro ZL1  [0.00]
HI;
are there any upgrades from CCC to latest IV6 without using AUX?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 02:40 PM   #1292
bighindu79
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 Jerez Black/Fox Red bla

So, I installed kremersino v2 over the weekend and I am running into a strange issue. When I plug in the ac control panel cables the CarPlay stops working. Can't switch to CarPlay with long menu press. I have to unplug the ac control panel cables, power down the car, wait for a minute, then start everything back up, then CarPlay works again. As soon as I plug in the ac cables, CarPlay stops working. Anybody with kremersino v2 encounter this issue?

Edit: made a video of the issue
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 02:55 PM   #1293
coniman
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 '12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighindu79 View Post
So, I installed kremersino v2 over the weekend and I am running into a strange issue. When I plug in the ac control panel cables the CarPlay stops working. Can't switch to CarPlay with long menu press. I have to unplug the ac control panel cables, power down the car, wait for a minute, then start everything back up, then CarPlay works again. As soon as I plug in the ac cables, CarPlay stops working. Anybody with kremersino v2 encounter this issue?

Edit: made a video of the issue
That’s so strange. You should talk to Michael because definitely something is wrong with the cables or maybe the box itself. BTW, in the video are you using wireless CarPlay right? Because it seems slow and laggy. It’s always like that? I’m planning to upgrade my box but if it’s that slow I’m going to stay as I am for the moment.

A little bit of off-topic
At this moment I’ve changed my CarPlay box for one of those 10.25 screens with built-in CarPlay in my F30, but I have a lot of problems. I would like to upgrade to Kremersino v3 and to get a bigger screen. The problem is I have HU_ENTRY and to get a bigger screen I need HU_ENTRYNAV otherwise iDrive menú will be streched. I’ve asked to Michael if they can make something like a split screen, to keep iDrive original resolution (or centered on screen with black bars on sides) and then CarPlay in full screen.
It can be a great upgrade for people that want to get a bigger screen without messing around changing head unit and coding.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 03:21 PM   #1294
smass
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 325i - 10 335i

Garage List
2010 E90 335i  [0.00]
2016 F15 35i  [0.00]
2003 E53 3.0  [0.00]
2006 E90 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Did you retrofit the CIC into a car that did not come with IDrive? I had some similar issues which were caused by the can bus wire routing. The carplay bus wiring is not twisted, long and sensitive to interference.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 04:05 PM   #1295
bighindu79
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smass View Post
Quote:
Did you retrofit the CIC into a car that did not come with IDrive? I had some similar issues which were caused by the can bus wire routing. The carplay bus wiring is not twisted, long and sensitive to interference.
No, my CIC is original to the car. It's a 2013 model year. I have been in touch with Michael and he asked me to provide the software version information to him, which is shown in the picture. Can anyone with a working kremersino v2 box confirm their software version?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 03:11 AM   #1296
bighindu79
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Can anybody who's installing or going to install a kremersino v2 leave the mic adapter disconnected and see if you encounter the same problem as me? Michael thinks it's the mic cable that I haven't been able to connect is the problem.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 05:53 PM   #1297
Gto3
Paper Stacker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW E93 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Can anybody who's installing or going to install a kremersino v2 leave the mic adapter disconnected and see if you encounter the same problem as me? Michael thinks it's the mic cable that I haven't been able to connect is the problem.
Amazing thread and impressive work retrofitting your 2013 E9x to run CarPlay. Once all of the troubleshooting is completed can you please post all of the information for purchasing hardware, software, and installation?
2013 E93 M3 | 6MT | Alpine White | Fox Red Novillo Leather | Navigation System | Tints | Matte Black Kidney Grills | Eisenmann Race Exhaust | Active Autowerke Performance Air Filter | E93 Trunk Boot Spoiler | Painted Bumper Reflectors | BMW Performance Shift Knob | BMW Performance Handbrake | RPI Red Ram Air Scoops | Matte Black M3 Emblem | BMW M// Power MT Pedals | Matte Black Side Markers | Tinted Side Marker LED's | LUX H8 160 Angel Eyes |
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 05:03 PM   #1298
bighindu79
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

So, there is a finisher clip that tucks in the mic wire as shown in the picture that's preventing me from getting enough slack to lift up the top steering column trim enough for me to get to the mic adapter. Does anyone know how I can get this finisher clip off to release the cable without causing damage? I've tried all kinds of trim tools etc to pry this thing off but no luck so far. At this point I almost wish I had a e90/92 connecting this damn mic is becoming a real pain.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0