BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

04-19-2022, 10:07 AM   #1
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

BMW Says Tesla's Electric Vehicle Dominance Is Over

https://insideevs.com/news/580747/bm...nance-is-over/
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 10:20 AM   #2
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Thems fightin words!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 10:47 AM   #3
E46ZHP2
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020m240ixvert

So true. Tesla as an automobile company will be crushed. As an energy company, we'll see.
Appreciate 2
Cos270608.50
GuidoK10858.50
      04-19-2022, 11:14 AM   #4
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I have heard from quite a few Tesla fanbois that they are VERY tempted to switch (back) to BMW and scoop up the i4 M50s.
Appreciate 2
      04-19-2022, 11:24 AM   #5
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

love it!

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 11:42 AM   #6
Maximus_M2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Fu Tesla!!!I have personal beef with them!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 12:15 PM   #7
..Rush..
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E88

Tired of Tesla.
Tesla Drivers are the most arrogant from my experience.
By far, I see more male Tesla Drivers speeding at traffic lights, and being cut off.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 12:21 PM   #8
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Tesla will be facing additional worthy competitors in the future. BMW is just one of them after a delayed market entry.

Advice to Tesla: continue to reduce the priority of driver experience, require both hands to operate touch controls, remove every button and dial, replace the steering wheel with a side stick from Airbus A320, decline to pay licensing fees to Airbus.

Advice to BMW: do everything opposite of Tesla and try to listen to the BMW community. This will actually translate into higher sales.
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2022, 12:23 PM   #9
D22M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Not a real M Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ..Rush.. View Post
Tired of Tesla.
Tesla Drivers are the most arrogant from my experience.
By far, I see more male Tesla Drivers speeding at traffic lights, and being cut off.
Mad because you’re getting smoked off the line l(JK lol - for real tho)
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 12:32 PM   #10
nerdogray
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

Speed loses relevance when it comes to electric for me. It's just an effect of electric motors.. instant torque. Yay. Can't wait for that simulated sound of... something... piped into the cabin, courtesy of Hans Zimmer. These companies are vying for first place at top turd.
Appreciate 4
P111572.00
M8Bimmer1272.50
..Rush..973.50
dizz81311.00
      04-19-2022, 12:46 PM   #11
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

I can't stand Tesla (or Elon), but it certainly doesn't feel "over" to me. Outside of build quality, BMW is just now getting to where Tesla was 5 years ago.
Appreciate 2
      04-19-2022, 01:15 PM   #12
BMW and me
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X6

Car needs buttons not a touch screen to operate easy. I am little bit older and needs reading glasses, have perfect distance vision and don't need any glasses for driving. When I was buying a few months ago EV, Tesla was on the short list because chargers availability, but realised that I can not operate Tesla without reading glasses, but with can not drive. For this reason selected EV with buttons. Voice recognition is not always solution ,

Last edited by BMW and me; 04-19-2022 at 01:21 PM..
Appreciate 3
      04-19-2022, 02:12 PM   #13
Almuliman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 6MT 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
I can't stand Tesla (or Elon), but it certainly doesn't feel "over" to me. Outside of build quality, BMW is just now getting to where Tesla was 5 years ago.
I haven't been in a Tesla for a while, but I'm assuming based on reviews and commentary that their interiors still don't match their price points.

And 100% agree with the above mention of buttons vs. screens (and *real* buttons at that – none of that capacitive piano black c*** either, please). Screens have their place, but for functions I'm likely to need a lot, I want proper buttons.
Appreciate 1
M8Bimmer1272.50
      04-19-2022, 02:22 PM   #14
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G30/M550

Saw a i4 M50 at my local Dealer last week. Pretty wild car. I'm still not ready for all electric though.
      04-19-2022, 02:30 PM   #15
davidvan05
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1 View Post
I have heard from quite a few Tesla fanbois that they are VERY tempted to switch (back) to BMW and scoop up the i4 M50s.
BMW i4 m50 are very nice cars compared to tesla model 3. Everything interior is nicer like a corolla compared to a nice 4 series. There are a few things that the model 3 does that are far superior. Tesla is the only smart car available in the market today. Traditional manufactures will take another generation to catch up. The i4 weighs 5000 lbs compared to 4000 lbs. The model 3 comes standard with a lot of options. The i4 is a car I'm willing to give up my model 3 performance for except its a lot more expensive compared to my tesla.

No car manufacture will be able to compete with Tesla in sales unless their able to secure enough batteries to make 1,000,000 million cars to sell each year. I bet they won't be able to even do it in 5 years.
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2022, 03:35 PM   #16
mzwerner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82 competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus_M2 View Post
Fu Tesla!!!I have personal beef with them!
Do tell….
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 03:36 PM   #17
..Rush..
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E88

I've seen

Brand new Corvettes, Porches, even a McLaren at traffic lights. None that I have personally observed scorch off the redlight. It's usually some younger guy in a Tesla with a still new paper registration taped on it that feels the need to race when no one else is racing.
It's like they have something to prove. And, no, I'm not jealous at all. Quite honestly I'd rather have an electric Porche.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D22M2 View Post
Mad because you’re getting smoked off the line l(JK lol - for real tho)
Appreciate 1
P111572.00
      04-19-2022, 03:51 PM   #18
mzwerner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82 competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW and me View Post
Car needs buttons not a touch screen to operate easy. I am little bit older and needs reading glasses, have perfect distance vision and don't need any glasses for driving. When I was buying a few months ago EV, Tesla was on the short list because chargers availability, but realised that I can not operate Tesla without reading glasses, but with can not drive. For this reason selected EV with buttons. Voice recognition is not always solution ,
That was hilarious
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2022, 04:19 PM   #19
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

as ugly as the BMW is... i'd take it over the tesla.

the BMW is at least giving you an interior. not to mention a dealer network and steady panel gaps.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 2
P111572.00
Almuliman483.50
      04-19-2022, 04:36 PM   #20
kring
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 M550i Dinan S1, 340i

BMW will no doubt keep ticking upward on EVs; they have good brand loyalty - but please don't be fooled, BMW is 5 years behind Tesla and Tesla will crush them in EV sales for at least the next 3 years...and actually I'm not sure BMW (or others ICE'ers) will ever catch Tesla, as they simply don't have the business capability to change, adapt at the speed Tesla can. Tesla will be the worlds largest auto maker in 3 years time, no doubt in my mind.

Tesla is end-2-end from solar energy, battery storage, mining, transportation, Insurance, and doing it at scale, with OTA software updates and this year (or 2023 at latest) will launch full self-driving in US and start to expand to other countries.. no one else will have that for years; that is 10x safer than any human behind the wheel. The way Tesla operates with no yearly models, rapid development, ability to swap out short-supply parts in just a few weeks to adapt to supply/demand/cost, over the air updates including fixed, enhancements, recalls - none of this is achievable by ICE'ers for at least 5 more years, and that's assuming massive costly internal reorganization and core business philosophy changes need to be funded and occur. Including elimination of the costly dealership scam network. Tesla takes profit and controls the cost at EVERY SINGLE aspect of transportation and is doing it without unionization. no way any ICE'er even opperates at half that reach... BMW is locked into multiple vendors and can't change and they pay crazy prices for outsourced parts... Tesla doesn't have that... Margin's are a huge gap in the sense Tesla opperates somewhere in the 40% range while most ICE'rs are single-digit... Tesla is swimming is excess cash by the billions. Tesla's prices are high because of demand and investment such as building giga factories and R&D spending that exponentially higher than other manufacturers and they don't spend any money on marketing or have debt.

I'm not planning on getting a Tesla or EV anytime soon, I am thrilled with my M550 - but I'm not blinded thinking BMW, Mercedes, Ford, Toyota are anywhere near close to touching Tesla. If you don't know much about Tesla it's understandable why people may write them off, laugh at a youtube video of a panel gap... but those that know Tesla are keenly aware they are just getting started and their trajectory is 10 fold any ICE manufacturer. Keep in mind too Tesla's success is occurring during the most hostile short-seller disinformation war and massive politician bribery & corruption led by unions and dealer mafia; this war is far greater than has ever been conducted in the history of the world on any company ever.

Take note that not only did Tesla in 10 years go from Idea to largest EV maker on the planet... in the next 10 years they will put half of them out of business because they simply can't adapt and keep pace, after a few years of hemorrhaging someone will pull the plug on those dying brands.

https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...1&d=1650404732
Attached Images

Last edited by kring; 04-19-2022 at 04:47 PM..
Appreciate 2
POBEP367.00
      04-19-2022, 05:15 PM   #21
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

I don't know if I'd take BMW's word for it, they think everyone want's monstrous grills.
Appreciate 2
      04-19-2022, 05:40 PM   #22
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kring View Post
BMW will no doubt keep ticking upward on EVs; they have good brand loyalty - but please don't be fooled, BMW is 5 years behind Tesla and Tesla will crush them in EV sales for at least the next 3 years...and actually I'm not sure BMW (or others ICE'ers) will ever catch Tesla, as they simply don't have the business capability to change, adapt at the speed Tesla can. Tesla will be the worlds largest auto maker in 3 years time, no doubt in my mind.

Tesla is end-2-end from solar energy, battery storage, mining, transportation, Insurance, and doing it at scale, with OTA software updates and this year (or 2023 at latest) will launch full self-driving in US and start to expand to other countries.. no one else will have that for years; that is 10x safer than any human behind the wheel. The way Tesla operates with no yearly models, rapid development, ability to swap out short-supply parts in just a few weeks to adapt to supply/demand/cost, over the air updates including fixed, enhancements, recalls - none of this is achievable by ICE'ers for at least 5 more years, and that's assuming massive costly internal reorganization and core business philosophy changes need to be funded and occur. Including elimination of the costly dealership scam network. Tesla takes profit and controls the cost at EVERY SINGLE aspect of transportation and is doing it without unionization. no way any ICE'er even opperates at half that reach... BMW is locked into multiple vendors and can't change and they pay crazy prices for outsourced parts... Tesla doesn't have that... Margin's are a huge gap in the sense Tesla opperates somewhere in the 40% range while most ICE'rs are single-digit... Tesla is swimming is excess cash by the billions. Tesla's prices are high because of demand and investment such as building giga factories and R&D spending that exponentially higher than other manufacturers and they don't spend any money on marketing or have debt.

I'm not planning on getting a Tesla or EV anytime soon, I am thrilled with my M550 - but I'm not blinded thinking BMW, Mercedes, Ford, Toyota are anywhere near close to touching Tesla. If you don't know much about Tesla it's understandable why people may write them off, laugh at a youtube video of a panel gap... but those that know Tesla are keenly aware they are just getting started and their trajectory is 10 fold any ICE manufacturer. Keep in mind too Tesla's success is occurring during the most hostile short-seller disinformation war and massive politician bribery & corruption led by unions and dealer mafia; this war is far greater than has ever been conducted in the history of the world on any company ever.

Take note that not only did Tesla in 10 years go from Idea to largest EV maker on the planet... in the next 10 years they will put half of them out of business because they simply can't adapt and keep pace, after a few years of hemorrhaging someone will pull the plug on those dying brands.

https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...8;d=1650404732
The problem with Tesla is that they are stuck in a Model T type scenario. They have shown they can ship the Model 3 and essentially the same Model Y at scale. Other than that they have either scrapped other cars/ trucks and the Model S and X are very niche products. They are unable to do simple things like add a HUD or Apple CarPlay etc. We own a Model Y Performance, it's been a joy to drive and own, but it will be our last Tesla since there are better built EVs out there now. The ride on a Tesla is really bad in poor road conditions. Charging infrastructure is good for any EV in Eastern US for instance.

We are seeing peak Tesla IMHO. But Elon can prove anyone wrong. LOL.
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13538.50