BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

Mporium BMW

09-23-2018, 01:54 AM   #1
Danger-Zone
Mmmm3
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E93 M3 DCT

So the previous owner of my M3 upgraded the halo color to white, using one of those knock off (I presume) H8 rectangular LED bulbs. The inner Halos are fine, but the outer are nearly invisible.

Stock look is just a standard H8 halogen bulb and those manage to light the outer rings with no issue.

My question is, has anyone tried one of the H8 Halogens that are bright white light? Wouldn't that do just fine, over the cree LED ones??

I tried searching the forum for this question but didn't see anything specific. Everyone suggests the LUX kit. But I was wanting to go a cheaper route (for now)

Thanks for your help/advice in advance!

- DZ
      09-23-2018, 02:44 AM   #2
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

I've seen the white halogen PIAA used and it's not worth the $ even for as little as it costs. Either go LUX or swap rings entirely
      09-23-2018, 03:18 AM   #3
codinge90
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

The outer rings will never be bright, lux does a good job making it look uniform as most of the cheaper bright bulbs will light the middle rings a bunch and make the outer rings look super dim in doing so. When you see photos of the rings on other cars and they look really bright and even it's because they're standing 15 feet away from the front of the car, test it out and it'll look super bright and even. Honestly only way to get them to be bright are upgrading the rings themselves
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 12:13 PM   #4
Danger-Zone
Mmmm3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by codinge90 View Post
The outer rings will never be bright, lux does a good job making it look uniform as most of the cheaper bright bulbs will light the middle rings a bunch and make the outer rings look super dim in doing so. When you see photos of the rings on other cars and they look really bright and even it's because they're standing 15 feet away from the front of the car, test it out and it'll look super bright and even. Honestly only way to get them to be bright are upgrading the rings themselves
Upgrading the rings requires disassembly of the headlight housing, I imagine. I really didn't want to go that route for fear of messing something up.

Looking inside the housing, there is a definite "gap" from the light bulb to the ring tubing that catches the light... surprised there isn't some type of plastic adapter that can fit in there and "bridge" the gap, funneling more light through the tubes.

I guess it's either back to stock or LUX...
      09-23-2018, 05:10 PM   #5
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / F30

Outer rings will never be as bright, just physically impossible due to the way it is designed. In using ebay 80w led's since 2014 and still going strong.

The reason why the stock bulbs are more "visible" is because it is in the yellow spectrum
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 10:26 AM   #6
Danger-Zone
Mmmm3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingZeroX5 View Post
Outer rings will never be as bright, just physically impossible due to the way it is designed. In using ebay 80w led's since 2014 and still going strong.

The reason why the stock bulbs are more "visible" is because it is in the yellow spectrum
Did you have to do any coding or add a resistor to avoid any errors for those eBay 80w LEDs?
      09-24-2018, 04:52 PM   #7
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger-Zone View Post
Quote:

Did you have to do any coding or add a resistor to avoid any errors for those eBay 80w LEDs?
No, theyre plug n play
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 09:44 AM   #8
Danger-Zone
Mmmm3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No, theyre plug n play
Hmmm. Could you send a pic or two of how they look and I'll google the bulbs on cheapbay and ask if they are the ones??

Thanks for your help.
      09-25-2018, 11:14 AM   #9
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Upgrading the rings requires disassembly of the headlight housing, I imagine. I really didn't want to go that route for fear of messing something up.

Looking inside the housing, there is a definite "gap" from the light bulb to the ring tubing that catches the light... surprised there isn't some type of plastic adapter that can fit in there and "bridge" the gap, funneling more light through the tubes.

Can you post a picture of what you are talking about with that gap, i want to make sure there are no issues with the headlight first.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 06:25 PM   #10
MrGatsby
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Is there a major difference between the Lux bulbs and the amazon/ebay bulbs? My car came with what looks like an ebay bulb, and i am considering the Lux upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 07:52 PM   #11
Danger-Zone
Mmmm3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGatsby View Post
Is there a major difference between the Lux bulbs and the amazon/ebay bulbs? My car came with what looks like an ebay bulb, and i am considering the Lux upgrade.
I'm in the same boat with you Mr Gatsby. I'll take a picture this weekend and highlight that "gap" I'm referring to. It's basically this space where the light bulb resides and then the "tube" for the halos starts. It appears it would be easy to just have the tube closer.
      09-26-2018, 07:55 PM   #12
Danger-Zone
Mmmm3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxAngelEyes View Post
Quote:

Can you post a picture of what you are talking about with that gap, i want to make sure there are no issues with the headlight first.
Hey Lux,

Thanks for responding to my post and taking some interest. I imagine based on your name, you have extensive experience in this. Lol

I'll snag a few photos this weekend when I have a chance to expose the housing. I'll could also show the "lack" of light on the outer rings, but I'm certain you're quite familiar with what I have going on.

Thank you again!!

-DZ
      09-27-2018, 10:53 AM   #13
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

FWIW when I first bought my car I purchased some PIAA white halogen H8 bulbs, they were $50 or so off Amazon. Good brand, advertised to have white light output, but they barely looked any different than the stock bulbs. Almost un-noticeable.

I didn't want to do any of the LED bulb options for the exact reasons you mention - the light distribution between the inner and outer halos are un-even, especially with the cheaper bulbs. Some are better than others, especially if you are directly facing the car, but step off center and it looks terrible.

I ended up doing a full retrofit to LED rings, but that is spendy. Sounds like you want to keep costs down - in that case I'd stick with stock if it were me. Or maybe find some used LUX bulbs on the forum.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 12:37 PM   #14
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

I don't think a adapter is possible unless its something that can take high heat. These bulbs run extremely hot. The OE design is just poor with the optical tubing.
Appreciate 0