BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

09-11-2010, 03:18 PM   #23
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Here's Jenson Button's thoughts about team orders. And yes, he's a F1 DRIVER . Spoiler: if team orders are reinstated, he'll be quitting. Enjoy:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/391131...-motor_sports/
This:

Quote:
"We have some great action between teammates — it's great to have 24 guys fighting it and not 12."
      09-11-2010, 04:37 PM   #24
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

I don't follow/know racing. Would someone explain what difference it makes; the two drivers are on the same team. Knowing only what I read in the OP's posting, seems like two dudes work for the same boss/employer/ and the boss made a decision and both employees did as instructed.

I can't say that the statement/principle the race engineer articulated wasn't communicated to both drivers before the race, thus during the race it was not interfering at all, but simply restating something that was already decided/agreed.
Sucks for the guy who came in second though, but if such an agreement existed prior to the race, had the dude who was second not yielded, he would have interfered with the race outcome.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2010, 04:52 PM   #25
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

I don't see the big deal. Drivers are first and foremost employees of the team and the team's priorities come first. Only makes sense to me
      09-11-2010, 04:57 PM   #26
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
I don't see the big deal. Drivers are first and foremost employees of the team and the team's priorities come first. Only makes sense to me
How did alonso passing masa help the team.
      09-11-2010, 05:19 PM   #27
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3/'18 F83 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
How did alonso passing masa help the team.
Oh Lord, lets not go here again and get Rat started all over. The team orders only helped Alonso in his quest to win the drivers title and did not in any way help Ferrari score more points. They would have scored max points regardless of whether Massa won or Alonso won.

Alonso is the number one driver, bringing the big sponsorship dollars, so he got what he wanted and the team ordered Massa to move over. They'll do the exact same thing again tomorrow if the situation arises and pay the 100K fine.

Rest assured that when team orders get re-instated next year, the only bitch who will pull over will again be Massa because it's in his contract to be a pansy.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2010, 05:55 PM   #28
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyJack View Post
Oh Lord, lets not go here again and get Rat started all over. The team orders only helped Alonso in his quest to win the drivers title and did not in any way help Ferrari score more points. They would have scored max points regardless of whether Massa won or Alonso won.

That's was my point, the people in this thread are claiming it was "for the team"
      09-11-2010, 06:18 PM   #29
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3/'18 F83 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
That's was my point, the people in this thread are claiming it was "for the team"
You are correct. The team wants the constructors title above all else. However, in this case they also felt the need to placate the ever tempermental Alonso and hand him the victory.

Agree with Jensen Button's comments 100%.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 10:43 PM   #30
scrufy
Zoom Zoom This
United_States
Rep
Drives: The Short Bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyJack View Post
Agree with Jensen Button's comments 100%.
+1
Appreciate 0