BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

10-11-2016, 12:32 PM   #23
Doc Oc
Captain Fatbelly
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 amg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvy View Post
Doc,
Were these the older VAC or newer higher clearance VACS?
These are the newer extra clearance versions. Malek at MRF did pull a set of the originals out of a sc'd care that had 39k miles on them. They looked the same as mine. Interesting considering their clearance. Says a lot about the coating...or that engine was looser than the norm.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 12:34 PM   #24
Doc Oc
Captain Fatbelly
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green-Eggs View Post
Let's start by getting on the same page. The BE Bearing wiki with official data is located here: http://wiki.rcollins.org/core/index....5_Rod_Bearings

I can't find that text under either the 702/703 section or VAC-Clevite section. I have a feeling you're referring to the bearing wiki on this site that is no longer maintained. That is not the BE Bearing wiki.

Another point about clearance ranges. Clearance measurements do not translate to clearance ranges as I think you have done. To develop a clearance range you calculate clearance from the smallest measured bore with the largest allowable journal size. That gives you the small range. You also calculate clearance from the largest measured bore with the smallest allowable journal size. This gives you the large range. I haven't checked your numbers,but I think you're just using those measured and looking at that range. That's not how it's done.
I was looking here:

http://www.bebearings.com/PreviousAt...ated_Bearings_

So you don't think that the VAC's are middle of the road clearance wise?

Curiously VAC doesn't suggest sanding the parting lines. We didn't do that on my install but as you can see, they appear free of coating after use. Not sure if they weren't coated to begin with or if it came off after install.

Last edited by Doc Oc; 10-11-2016 at 12:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 12:36 PM   #25
Green-Eggs
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Oc View Post
These are the newer extra clearance versions. Malek at MRF did pull a set of the originals out of a sc'd care that had 39k miles on them. They looked the same as mine. Interesting considering their clearance. Says a lot about the coating...or that engine was looser than the norm.
They also had the ARP rod bolts which caused extra clearance due to the bore distortion of using the ARP bolts. So I'm not sure what if anything it says about the coating.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 12:39 PM   #26
Doc Oc
Captain Fatbelly
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logodude View Post
Are there threads where people pulled these bearings out?
Besides mine I think this is the only other one:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1073979
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 12:47 PM   #27
Green-Eggs
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
I was looking here:

http://www.bebearings.com/PreviousAt...ated_Bearings_

So you don't think that the VAC's are middle of the road clearance wise?

Curiously VAC doesn't suggest sanding the parting lines. We didn't do that on my install but as you can see, they're appear free of coating after use. Not sure if they weren't coated to begin with or if it came off after install.
I think that was taken from the bearing wiki on this site and is now outdated. Good catch. I'll notify BE to update it.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 12:52 PM   #28
Doc Oc
Captain Fatbelly
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They also had the ARP rod bolts which caused extra clearance due to the bore distortion of using the ARP bolts. So I'm not sure what if anything it says about the coating.
I know RC measured the old style at 0.00130 inch. Is that not with the arp hardware? I didn't see bolts listed.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 01:19 PM   #29
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Quote:
I think that was taken from the bearing wiki on this site and is now outdated. Good catch. I'll notify BE to update it.
While you're at it, can you please try and find out what's the status on these?

http://www.bebearings.com/store/inde...&products_id=4

I hit them up via email a couple weeks ago and have yet to receive a reply. I ordered them prior to 8/8/16, and now we're now over 2 months past with no revision of delivery dates. And this isn't about when I actually get billed, it's about the availability of the parts so that I can adjust my time schedule for other projects I'm working on. I'm patient, but at the same time, being kept abreast of developments is appreciated.

Thank you for any updated information/assistance you can provide.

Last edited by whats77inaname; 10-11-2016 at 01:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 01:37 PM   #30
Logodude
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Besides mine I think this is the only other one:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1073979
Did you use BE? Or VAC?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 01:50 PM   #31
Doc Oc
Captain Fatbelly
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logodude View Post
Did you use BE? Or VAC?
VAC. I doubt you'll find anything for BE given they've only been on the market a short time. Something seriously bad would have to happen to someone (like it did to me) for us to see what they look like after this short of a time period. But with the coating being similar and the clearances even looser I don't see why BE wouldn't give the same results as VAC.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 05:05 AM   #32
Logodude
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 ZCP

Quote:
VAC. I doubt you'll find anything for BE given they've only been on the market a short time. Something seriously bad would have to happen to someone (like it did to me) for us to see what they look like after this short of a time period. But with the coating being similar and the clearances even looser I don't see why BE wouldn't give the same results as VAC.
I really like the right up you did! I also plan to go with ARP bolts for simplicity. Are there more threads of people pull VAC bearings out for inspection? Or (hopefully not because of failure).
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 01:51 PM   #33
Doc Oc
Captain Fatbelly
United_States
Rep

Thanks. Not that I know of, just the MRF one.
Appreciate 0