BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest

EXXEL Distributions

07-30-2018, 08:17 PM   #23
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroBiz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy23 View Post
If you don’t mind a drive musicarNW in Portland sells the modmynav back up interface. It will show dynamic lines with a split screen and PDC
Called them today and was quoted more than Bimmertech.
Maybe I should ask you this: how much do you want to pay?

This isn't that difficult of an install if you take your time and look up some DIYers. If you want to ultimately save some $ then go that route. Otherwise pay the shop what they want and be done with it I guess*
      07-30-2018, 08:20 PM   #24
NitroBiz
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11.5 e90 IB M3

Quote:

This isn't that difficult of an install if you take your time and look up some DIYers. If you want to ultimately save some $ then go that route. Otherwise pay the shop what they want and be done with it I guess*
I'm not sure, certainly not in upwards to 1k.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 11:59 PM   #25
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:

Good advice right here IMO. Members have been installing backup cameras on these cars for years, theres plenty of DIY's online, even from the manufacturers selling them.

If you don't like the prices being quoted, then perhaps spend some time with the DIY guides and install one yourself. Otherwise, your at the mercy of these shops and their price quotes. Have you looked at the DIY's? While it may not be hard, it could be time consuming and somewhat invasive. You have to pull apart the trunk somewhat to install the camera, then run a cable into the cabin along the door jambs and up into the dash behind the nav unit, which includes pulling some of the dash apart. And then you've got coding on top of that. This is not exactly a quick and simple job even for a shop, so between parts and labor, which is not cheap anywhere these days, it makes sense that this would be a somewhat expensive job to pay for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroBiz View Post
I'm not sure, certainly not in upwards to 1k.
I think you're dreaming. I hope I'm wrong but this seems pretty unlikely for parts + labor.

What other price quotes have you found?

Even for $1000 I'd be leery of the unit and the shop. Heck the OEM unit is $929 just for the parts. I know there's lesser expensive units, but do you want a cheap ass backup camera with sub-par integration with your nav unit on your M3?

Last edited by jiggz; 07-31-2018 at 12:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 03:26 PM   #26
NitroBiz
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11.5 e90 IB M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
Good advice right here IMO. Members have been installing backup cameras on these cars for years, theres plenty of DIY's online, even from the manufacturers selling them.

If you don't like the prices being quoted, then perhaps spend some time with the DIY guides and install one yourself. Otherwise, your at the mercy of these shops and their price quotes. Have you looked at the DIY's? While it may not be hard, it could be time consuming and somewhat invasive. You have to pull apart the trunk somewhat to install the camera, then run a cable into the cabin along the door jambs and up into the dash behind the nav unit, which includes pulling some of the dash apart. And then you've got coding on top of that. This is not exactly a quick and simple job even for a shop, so between parts and labor, which is not cheap anywhere these days, it makes sense that this would be a somewhat expensive job to pay for.

I think you're dreaming. I hope I'm wrong but this seems pretty unlikely for parts + labor.

What other price quotes have you found?

Even for $1000 I'd be leery of the unit and the shop. Heck the OEM unit is $929 just for the parts. I know there's lesser expensive units, but do you want a cheap ass backup camera with sub-par integration with your nav unit on your M3?
Maybe I am dreaming but I find it very hard to believe that the equipment is that expensive. Labor is about right, $100 per hour however I just have a hard time swallowing it. I guess I will wait and see if anything comes up.
Appreciate 0