BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

02-02-2010, 01:34 AM   #23
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

i believe there close in price yes

i chose the Dinan bc of the no drone and the warranty factor, plus i just trust there software more but that is a personal thing as i had it in my past 2 M's so not saying anything wrong with AA's but i just wanted the Dinan one in my car

if you go with the Dinan i would get the midpipe,muffler, and stage 2 software. you won't be dissapointed. you will get great power, have no drone, have amazing sound and a big smile. well that is how it was for me anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryker1 View Post
Thanks for the input guys, HEY Panda SORRY ABOUT YELLING
Sounds like the guys that have dinann set up are true believers of that system i will do some research on that system as well .
If i'm not mistaken the aa and dinan are close in price range correct me if i'm wrong.

Here is my last question to you all would you go with just the xpipe and muffler

Or do you automatically add the ecu tune to the mix,someone wasn't really sold on the aa tune, could you please elaborate.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 11:05 AM   #24
modbargains
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i & 01 Toyota Avalon

Go with the AA, Like everyone said its a great and proven system and that company is truly passionate about making a product that makes gains.

If you look at the system itself those little pipe things next to the muffler is to reduce the droning.

Kevin
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 12:42 PM   #25
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

so wait the Dinan is not proven?? there not passionate about the gains of there products??

also those little things may reduce droning but it still drones at some points, where the Dinan doesn't drone at all, so i would say they have to be doing something right

no offense but your statement just doesn't make sense to me. AA is a good company but there are others that are just as good and just as passionate

Quote:
Originally Posted by **********s View Post
Go with the AA, Like everyone said its a great and proven system and that company is truly passionate about making a product that makes gains.

If you look at the system itself those little pipe things next to the muffler is to reduce the droning.

Kevin
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 01:12 PM   #26
M3 Montreal
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 SG ,DCT & 2011 S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
so wait the Dinan is not proven?? there not passionate about the gains of there products??

also those little things may reduce droning but it still drones at some points, where the Dinan doesn't drone at all, so i would say they have to be doing something right

no offense but your statement just doesn't make sense to me. AA is a good company but there are others that are just as good and just as passionate
I havent heard the Dinan in person to comment about the sound but there is no way ANY catless exhaust can have no drone.

In fact even the stock exhaust has a slight drone at certain RPM's.

The only negative (in my book and my opinion) is the one fake exhaust tip on the Dinan. That just doesnt do it for me although I know that the reason for it is to reduce drone.

2011 B8 S4 S-Tronic , Black on magma red
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 02:12 PM   #27
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Montreal View Post

True, and even noted by BMW.

Kinda funny how these threads always turn into an argument, then a bunch of bragging about how each exhaust system some one owns is better than all the rest.
      02-02-2010, 04:07 PM   #28
rav7ks
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Garage List
08 M3  [0.00]
I have the AA with no x pipe. It's loud on startup due to the cold start. But as you proceed through the revs, the sound settles down and isn't too obtrusive while cruising on the highway. The sound is much better then OEM and I haven't noticed any drone. Even my wife appreciates it as it'll put the baby to sleep when we're out for a drive.
      02-02-2010, 10:50 PM   #29
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

well i have no reason to lie. people ask for opinions and i give mine

my car is my daily so when i was looking for a setup there was no way i was gonna have any drone. i hate drone in a car. i had it once in one of my cars and will never again

so when i say my car has no drone at all it has no drone at all

as you said you haven't heard it in person or drove inside one so how can you say there is no way?? that doesn't make sense

there are others on here with the same Dinan Midpipe and Dinan rear and have no drone at all as well. so maybe were all hearing no drone??

as for the fake tip, well that is a personal taste thing. me i could care less. if i have to have a fake tip instead of a droning car i will take the fake tip. i don't care if smoke is only coming out of one of the tips on each side and someone is wondering why. as there wondering there also saying damn that car sounds sick as i take off when the light turns green

everyone likes different stuff but if i could do it over again and now after hearing alot more systems and driving in them i wouldn't do it any other way.

my car has great power now, has no drone, and sounds amazing

is mine the best?? prob not, i am sure there are others out there that make more power or may be better. but i like my system and that is the only thing that matters. just like if you like yours that is what matters as long as you are happy with what you get

for me that is having no drone which i was able to do and have a catless system

as for the stock system droning well that doesn't really matter bc we are comparing aftermarket ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Montreal View Post
I havent heard the Dinan in person to comment about the sound but there is no way ANY catless exhaust can have no drone.

The only negative (in my book and my opinion) is the one fake exhaust tip on the Dinan. That just doesnt do it for me although I know that the reason for it is to reduce drone.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 12:59 PM   #30
ryan@ActiveAutowerke
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Hi Guys,

As I stated on another thread similar to this one,

v., droned, dron·ing, drones.

v.intr.

1. To make a continuous low dull humming sound: "Somewhere an electric fan droned without end" (William Styron).

Drone is totally subjective. To one person a certain exhaust may have no drone but to others it may have drone.

The Active Autowerke Exhaust has Noise Cancellation chambers on the side of the mufflers to reduce "drone".
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 08:46 PM   #31
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

you mean your lame sales pitch in the other thread??

you said it cancels drone in the other thread, now here you said to reduce drone. which is it???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan@ActiveAutowerke View Post
Hi Guys,

As I stated on another thread similar to this one,

v., droned, dron·ing, drones.

v.intr.

1. To make a continuous low dull humming sound: "Somewhere an electric fan droned without end" (William Styron).

Drone is totally subjective. To one person a certain exhaust may have no drone but to others it may have drone.

The Active Autowerke Exhaust has Noise Cancellation chambers on the side of the mufflers to reduce "drone".
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 09:59 AM   #32
Jean@ActiveAutowerke
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335

Hey Guys,

There seems to be an issue about what drone is and the design of our exhaust system. Also not sure why the Dinan Exhaust is being brought up in a thread titled "AA Exhaust"...

Our system was designed from scratch after taking a look at the stock system. The stock system uses a large pan, has a few bends in the pipe with a few "crushed parts" to fit properly and is also heavy. The stock exhaust also has NCC (noise cancellation chambers) inside.

The NCC's are there to absorb drone without being in the way of the exhaust system or to really affect flow, that way it does not effect power, they work a bit differently than just adding a resonator in the pipe.

As stated the stock system has NCC's inside. So we decided to create a system using larger pipes for easier/better flow (for better top end performance) with a straighter path (less bends and no crushed parts ). Then we decided to use the NCC's but to save weight we decided not to insert them into the muffler's, the best way to to incorporate them back into the system is to put them on the outside in order to save weight.

The finished product is our system, it provides a beautiful sound at wide open, no drone, and a very nice sound during part throttle (cruising). Basically I can speak on my cell phone on speaker phone in an E9X M3 with our entire system and speak clearly with no issues; be it resonance or drone.

It has been stated earlier in this thread that all M3's stock or modified (unless it has our software) will sound different after a cold start. That has nothing to do with the exhaust, it is due to BMW requiring the M3's to run lean at idle to heat up the cats to go back down to 0 emissions faster. It was the same on the E46 models as well.

p.s. Ryan only provide a dictionary like explanation on "drone" to help give the community a better understanding of what it is. Nothing else.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 01:42 PM   #33
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

well you missed his beautiful sales pitch in the other thread, that is what i was reffering to

as far people being confused what drone is, knowone is confused what drone is

and lmao Dinan brought up in a thread titled AA, holy shit call the thread police. you guys are posting in every thing that is possible to no matter what brand was asked about. i didn't know that if the thread is titled with a certain brand you can't say the name of a different brand.

sorry about that i will make sure i read the AA rules of posting next time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean@ActiveAutowerke View Post
Hey Guys,

There seems to be an issue about what drone is and the design of our exhaust system. Also not sure why the Dinan Exhaust is being brought up in a thread titled "AA Exhaust"...

Our system was designed from scratch after taking a look at the stock system. The stock system uses a large pan, has a few bends in the pipe with a few "crushed parts" to fit properly and is also heavy. The stock exhaust also has NCC (noise cancellation chambers) inside.

The NCC's are there to absorb drone without being in the way of the exhaust system or to really affect flow, that way it does not effect power, they work a bit differently than just adding a resonator in the pipe.

As stated the stock system has NCC's inside. So we decided to create a system using larger pipes for easier/better flow (for better top end performance) with a straighter path (less bends and no crushed parts ). Then we decided to use the NCC's but to save weight we decided not to insert them into the muffler's, the best way to to incorporate them back into the system is to put them on the outside in order to save weight.

The finished product is our system, it provides a beautiful sound at wide open, no drone, and a very nice sound during part throttle (cruising). Basically I can speak on my cell phone on speaker phone in an E9X M3 with our entire system and speak clearly with no issues; be it resonance or drone.

It has been stated earlier in this thread that all M3's stock or modified (unless it has our software) will sound different after a cold start. That has nothing to do with the exhaust, it is due to BMW requiring the M3's to run lean at idle to heat up the cats to go back down to 0 emissions faster. It was the same on the E46 models as well.

p.s. Ryan only provide a dictionary like explanation on "drone" to help give the community a better understanding of what it is. Nothing else.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 02:21 PM   #34
stryker1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 2008 M3 silverstone

Come on guys i wanted to make this thread an informative one, not a he said she said one.

I brought up dinan because of the passion the dinan owners had about their systems and drone played a major factor in my choosing a exhaust system.

Dinan unfortunetly didnt want to work with me on their pricing as AA did so
there it is in a nut shell.

Will make a decision in the near future.

Thx again to all contributors of this thread.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 02:51 PM   #35
Jean@ActiveAutowerke
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
well you missed his beautiful sales pitch in the other thread, that is what i was reffering to

as far people being confused what drone is, knowone is confused what drone is

and lmao Dinan brought up in a thread titled AA, holy shit call the thread police. you guys are posting in every thing that is possible to no matter what brand was asked about. i didn't know that if the thread is titled with a certain brand you can't say the name of a different brand.

sorry about that i will make sure i read the AA rules of posting next time
Seems as if the thread is going off topic. I am happy it seems you have found the exhaust system to your liking/needs. However your excitement seems misplaced and coming off the wrong way, to me anyway, there is always a "New Thread/Topic" button...

In regards to other thread/post, seems you are following our exhaust systems. Feel free to contact us regarding a trade in special.

More info and specs on our site: http://activeautowerke.com/viewprodu...x?id=Product75

Quote:
Come on guys i wanted to make this thread an informative one, not a he said she said one.

I brought up dinan because of the passion the dinan owners had about their systems and drone played a major factor in my choosing a exhaust system.

You're welcome.

Last edited by Jean@ActiveAutowerke; 02-05-2010 at 02:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 03:11 PM   #36
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

people ask for opinion that is all and i gave one. nothing against your products

following your exhaust systems?? no def not stalking your threads. if i answered a question in more then one then it was purely that nothing else

as for trading in my system for one of yours thanks for the offer but no thank you i am very happy with what i have. not to say yours isn't good

like you said no need to go off topic so thanks and take care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean@ActiveAutowerke View Post
Seems as if the thread is going off topic. I am happy it seems you have found the exhaust system to your liking/needs. However your excitement seems misplaced and coming off the wrong way, to me anyway, there is always a "New Thread/Topic" button...

In regards to other thread/post, seems you are following our exhaust systems. Feel free to contact us regarding a trade in special.

More info and specs on our site: http://activeautowerke.com/viewprodu...x?id=Product75

You're welcome.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 04:34 PM   #37
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Cheaper doesn't always mean better

good luck on your choice and enjoy your new system whatever it may be

H

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 05:27 PM   #38
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Hey guys,

Let's keep this thread positive, in respect to the OP.

Thanks for your understanding.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 06:34 PM   #39
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

no problem brotha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaaz View Post
Hey guys,

Let's keep this thread positive, in respect to the OP.

Thanks for your understanding.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 06:48 PM   #40
yunungchou
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe

Is AA Exhause going to void manufacture warrenty?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 07:17 PM   #41
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by yunungchou View Post
Is AA Exhause going to void manufacture warrenty?
technically.... yes... if you were to have a muffler issue BMW won't cover it. But in actuality no... cause it can't cause any damage to your car.

My car barely "drones". I have HFC'x X-pipe w/ resonators and AA mufflers. It's loud and sounds good. One of my previous exhaust was Supersprint Sport and those definitely had drone and it was annoying.
      02-06-2010, 09:11 AM   #42
dhoggm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 850i C, Gated R8 5.2, E63

Look, the AA axle-back sounds completely awesome, is a little boomy on cold starts but settles down in a minute or two (fuel mix), and is completely non-obtrusive while cruising except for some low-end resonance in the cabin between 2200-2500 rpm which wives sometimes find annoying. That said, I repeat, the AA axle-back sounds completely awesome. OK?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 09:41 AM   #43
mfeltiii
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '10 AW E92 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoggm3 View Post
Look, the AA axle-back sounds completely awesome, is a little boomy on cold starts but settles down in a minute or two (fuel mix), and is completely non-obtrusive while cruising except for some low-end resonance in the cabin between 2200-2500 rpm which wives sometimes find annoying. That said, I repeat, the AA axle-back sounds completely awesome. OK?

+1, although I don't think the "resonance" in the 2200-2500 range is really much differrent than the oem setup. Loving mine.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 05:41 PM   #44
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SSII E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
Kinda funny how these threads always turn into an argument, then a bunch of bragging about how each exhaust system some one owns is better than all the rest.
2009 E90 M3 | Silverstone II | Black Novillo | HRE P40's | Akrapovic Exhaust | Eibach Pro Kit | Jet Black Kidney Grilles | SSII Side Reflectors | SSII Side Gills | LUX H8 Angel Eyes | Macht Schnell Filter | Tecnocraft Envy Charge Pipe

"M3 drivers have no friends." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0