BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

04-15-2011, 07:10 AM   #1
poseidon
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Silverstone Carbon

Angry Bad BMW paint job

So, long story short. A dude got in my way and ruined my front bumper. Took it to the Karl n Co. BMW dealer in Weisnau (Mainz), Germany to get it fixed. They put a new bumper on, but the "silverstone metallic II" they used was off. It looked more silver. They did the job one more time...and it was the same. However, the paint master told me they had to "blend in" the color to the sides of the car to make it look like it was all one color. It didn't work. The bumper still looks "lighter" than the color on the rest of my car. I told them to repaint the whole car.

Is Silverstone Metallic II different in different BMW shops? Because when I lifted the hood today, the paint was completely different. One can tell on the edges within the inside of the hood the different color.

It's less than a year old and I have a ghetto paint job now on my 2011 M3.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 07:45 AM   #2
Krozi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White

Tell them to fix it! Don't let them re-spray the entire car!

It's a bumper...if they can't get that right do NOT let them spray the car!

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White//Fox Red//6MT//
Florida Bimmer - Join us on FaceBook!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 07:58 AM   #3
PINHEAD
Motorsport Passion!!!
Monaco
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3RS/911R

ouch!! very sorry for your misfortune. SSII is very hard to match, as with any metallic color.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 08:01 AM   #4
Nate@IND
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Wish you were in the US we have a really good SSII A29 paint match at IND now. It 3-4 days of paint matching to make perfect.
      04-15-2011, 08:28 AM   #5
poseidon
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Silverstone Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krozi View Post
Tell them to fix it! Don't let them re-spray the entire car!

It's a bumper...if they can't get that right do NOT let them spray the car!

Well, the second time (this past wednesday) they sprayed that paint to some of the sides of my M3 to try to blend it to the front bumper. I can still see the difference and othe ppl too. So, I'm thinking stripping the car and repainting it is the only option(?). This is so frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 10:22 AM   #6
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

Wow that sucks... I had my bumper sprayed at an independent shop and they matched it perfectly. I don't think you should spray the whole car... If they sprayed the hood, fenders, and bumper then do those back. Make sure it is on their dime. YOU should not have to deal with improper paint match especially from a bmw dealer.

F80 ///M3 6MT Avus Blue ZCP
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 11:05 AM   #7
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by poseidon View Post

So, long story short. A dude got in my way and ruined my front bumper. Took it to the Karl n Co. BMW dealer in Weisnau (Mainz), Germany to get it fixed. They put a new bumper on, but the "silverstone metallic II" they used was off. It looked more silver. They did the job one more time...and it was the same. However, the paint master told me they had to "blend in" the color to the sides of the car to make it look like it was all one color. It didn't work. The bumper still looks "lighter" than the color on the rest of my car. I told them to repaint the whole car.

Is Silverstone Metallic II different in different BMW shops? Because when I lifted the hood today, the paint was completely different. One can tell on the edges within the inside of the hood the different color.

It's less than a year old and I have a ghetto paint job now on my 2011 M3.
It's typical to have paint be slightly different colors, that is why you have to bring your car to a body shop and have them match your paint before spraying. You'd be surprised if you looked at how many variations there can be for any given color. This is why it's highly suggested NOT to order pre-painted accessories for your car, but rather take them along with your car to a local qualified body shop to match exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate@IND View Post
Wish you were in the US we have a really good SSII A29 paint match at IND now. It 3-4 days of paint matching to make perfect.
3-4 days???
      04-15-2011, 03:16 PM   #8
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
Mizzoni's auto body in Lodi, NJ fucked up my paint job after a fender bender in 2010. I only found that out when I went to have the clearbra installed at Detailing Dynamics. So I spent about $1200 to protect a shitty paint job. Only lucky thing is that the paint is under warranty due to being a BMW approved shop. What a joke.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 04:03 AM   #9
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

I would order the pre-painted bumper before I let them repaint the whole car - that is going to make it depreciate like crazy. The pre-painted bumper may not be a perfect match, but it will be so close that you won't notice it. Either that, or get your money back and take it somewhere else. In my personal experience, car dealer body shops tend to be much weaker than independent shops.

I had my bumper repainted and they didn't need to do any blending. Same deal with my last two cars - silver and black respectively. You hear this all the time, and it is largely total BS. Be wary of people that tell you they need to blend panels. I'm extremely particular about my paint, and you cannot tell any difference, even under intense light. The key is finding a good paint shop.

Good luck; sorry for your troubles!
Appreciate 0