BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

09-11-2017, 10:02 AM   #23
65fastback
Captain
Rep
Drives: every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyzmi View Post
That makes no sense. What was wrong with the VANOS solenoids? Did the plastic cover(s) come apart?
I am not sure about that...i was told metal shavings in the oil from excessive rod bearing wear caused the failure, i have all my old parts but have not inspected them other than looking over the bearings.

Ill take a look!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 10:35 AM   #24
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ESS625

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
I am not sure about that...i was told metal shavings in the oil from excessive rod bearing wear caused the failure, i have all my old parts but have not inspected them other than looking over the bearings.

Ill take a look!
Rod bearing wear would not leave metal "shavings" in the oil. There would be microscopic particles that could be identified with an oil analysis, but nothing that would be large enough to damage a VANOS solenoid. Shavings become an issue after you spin a bearing and the engine is toast.

If the VANOS solenoid cover(s) came off that would allow the tensioner behind the cover to damage the valve cover and timing chain cover. This would result in metal shavings in the oil (ask me how I know ). Sounds like you may have had a VANOS failure that had absolutely nothing to do with rod bearings, but the shop saw it as an opportunity to squeeze another couple thousand in parts/labor out of your warranty. Or they were concerned that metal shavings from the VANOs failure could have damaged the rod bearings, opposite of what they told you. I wish my shop made up an excuse to replace rod bearings when one of my VANOS solenoid shit the bed...

Last edited by Iyzmi; 09-11-2017 at 10:41 AM..
Appreciate 1
65fastback1137.00
      09-11-2017, 07:05 PM   #25
65fastback
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Rod bearing wear would not leave metal "shavings" in the oil. There would be microscopic particles that could be identified with an oil analysis, but nothing that would be large enough to damage a VANOS solenoid. Shavings become an issue after you spin a bearing and the engine is toast.

If the VANOS solenoid cover(s) came off that would allow the tensioner behind the cover to damage the valve cover and timing chain cover. This would result in metal shavings in the oil (ask me how I know ). Sounds like you may have had a VANOS failure that had absolutely nothing to do with rod bearings, but the shop saw it as an opportunity to squeeze another couple thousand in parts/labor out of your warranty. Or they were concerned that metal shavings from the VANOs failure could have damaged the rod bearings, opposite of what they told you. I wish my shop made up an excuse to replace rod bearings when one of my VANOS solenoid shit the bed...

THIS comment you just made.

Sounds like you may have had a VANOS failure that had absolutely nothing to do with rod bearings, but the shop saw it as an opportunity to squeeze another couple thousand in parts/labor out of your warranty.

Is exactly what happened ... you nailed it 100% ....I have VERY mixed feelings about the whole thing, The shop owner visits this forum so i am going to leave it at that.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 07:12 AM   #26
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ESS625

Quote:
I have VERY mixed feelings about the whole thing
Meh, I'd feel pretty great about getting new rod bearings for free if I were you. If the warranty adjuster didn't feel like further investigating that part of the service then that's on them. That's why warranties send out an adjuster in the first place - to verify suggested/necessary repairs before approving and cutting the check. Despite the rod bearings NOT being the cause of damage to the VANOS solenoid(s), it's still possible that the opposite could be true. That was my concern when this happened to me and I brought it up with the shop, but no new rod bearings for me .
      09-12-2017, 07:16 AM   #27
KillBill999
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW M3

I did my rod bearings and did not get the warranty when I bought my 2012 M3 with 47k miles. BMW was offering a warranty and I decided to save money and actually fix what the issue has been.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 07:40 PM   #28
65fastback
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Meh, I'd feel pretty great about getting new rod bearings for free if I were you. If the warranty adjuster didn't feel like further investigating that part of the service then that's on them. That's why warranties send out an adjuster in the first place - to verify suggested/necessary repairs before approving and cutting the check. Despite the rod bearings NOT being the cause of damage to the VANOS solenoid(s), it's still possible that the opposite could be true. That was my concern when this happened to me and I brought it up with the shop, but no new rod bearings for me .
I did NOT get my bearing changed for free... My situation is complicated but i will tell you this.
I still had to pay $1700.00 out of pocket ...with a zero deductible warranty. Again its a long story.

Remember... my bearings looked fine and all i had wrong was 1 bad solenoid. I don't keep cars for year's like some guys, do you see what i am getting at here?

If you want to know more details send me a PM. seems your shop didn't go to bat for you? and just wanted to fix the one issue and get the next car on the rack.... I wish my shop would have done this.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 08:13 AM   #29
Rajmun340
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP factory order

Quote:
I did NOT get my bearing changed for free... My situation is complicated but i will tell you this.
I still had to pay $1700.00 out of pocket ...with a zero deductible warranty. Again its a long story.

Remember... my bearings looked fine and all i had wrong was 1 bad solenoid. I don't keep cars for year's like some guys, do you see what i am getting at here?

If you want to know more details send me a PM. seems your shop didn't go to bat for you? and just wanted to fix the one issue and get the next car on the rack.... I wish my shop would have done this.
Whenever dealers work on your car there is always a non negligible risk that they mess up something else. That odd is much higher than people are left to believe. In my view dealers are the worst part of the car experience, they will try to squeeze out unnecessary work out of the warranty which may look great at first but create backlash from the manufacturer. When something bigger fails and the car already logged too many "unnecessary parts" thrown elsewhere by a greedy dealer it results in the manufacturer stalling or denying coverage when it is actually needed. Dealer are then quick to give up batting for the owner just as quick as they were to install non-needed parts to fill their pockets.
Most are in the business to intimidate/deceive/lie/bully/play dead to customers while at the same time sucking dry the manufacturer. They have that leverage against the manufacturer that they are a distributor of new cars and use that to get away with all the abuse.
It's why nothing is better than an independent specialized car mechanic whose integrity relies solely on the quality of the repair work he does and not shady, guild of thieves stealers.
After buying a BMW new and having to endure crooked BMW stealers for 4 years of warranty, I'll buy used and out of warranty next time just so that i won't have to go to a stealer again.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 02:28 PM   #30
65fastback
Captain
Rep

FYI it was a independent shop not a dealer.
Appreciate 0