BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

04-09-2014, 09:00 AM   #23
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

99% of users will never notice a difference, and they'll never pay for it to be analyzed to see if it was even working well for their application. You'll probably never hear any "good stories" or "bad stories". Learn to decipher the chemistry of the fluid, understand the spec sheet, and then analyze it in service to understand which fluid is the best fit for you.

SAF-XJ is an excellent fluid and that's why BMW makes it FF, but you are certainly welcome to pick a different fluid.
      04-09-2014, 01:12 PM   #24
E90M3velocity
Captain
Philippines
Rep
Drives: Manual-Slicktop E90 M3

Well lm is already in the diff and i was just wondering if its working ok or i should be worried from being so loud.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 03:29 PM   #25
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90M3velocity View Post
Well lm is already in the diff and i was just wondering if its working ok or i should be worried from being so loud.
I'm used to the groaning, and don't use the FM boosted stuff, but, if once you make the turn, and the groaning doesn't stop while straightening the car, there could be an issue. I really only experience this in cold weather. The noise is necessary for it to do its job.
      04-09-2014, 03:51 PM   #26
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki00 View Post
If it chatters too much it will create hot spots on the friction plates leading to a shortened diff life
This says it best ^

The occasional pop or grind is okay, but you should never be under the impression that routine sound from the diff is normal. I only use the OEM fluid with FM. It allows the diff to work quietly, which in the long run will minimize premature wear.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 06:32 PM   #27
elim11
Major
Rep
Drives: e90m3

I used redline diff fluid. A lot of grinding noises. Tried making tight circles to lubricate..no luck.

Will have to switch to the unicorn BMW FM Fluid.
      04-09-2014, 09:35 PM   #28
jjw2331
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 JtBlk e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki00 View Post
It is not the same though. The Mercedes Castrol is the same as the standard BMW. The one with Booster is another level above the Castrol. I bought the Mercedes (Castrol) and within 25 miles the diff was grinding. Drained it back out and got the boosted stuff for 40 per bottle and within 2 miles it was back to normal. I put the Castrol in our 328 and it was fine.
I also tried the Royal Purple with booster and it did not work either. The Valvoline didnt work either. We get allt hat stuff at work free so it was nothing more than my time to try it.
The more expensive Friction Modifier(FM) booster fluid provided by BMW, and used for noisy differentials, is Castrol SAF-XJ with FM booster. They just put the FM additive into the original fluid.

I don't know what you mean by another level above the Castrol? I believe the extra cost you are paying is for BMW repackaging and adding FM booster.

The FM fluid is really only necessary when there is chatter. It's not a superior fluid that has to be put in our diffs. If the diff doesn't chatter, there is no need for the more expensive fluid. Also, too much FM can alter the locking properties of the LSD and isn't good for differential seals. The more ideal method to reduce chatter would be to add small increments of FM until the chatter goes away. Unfortunately, we do not know how much FM BMW adds to the SAF-XJ fluid.

The best person to talk about these issues is Dan at diffsonline.com
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 08:18 AM   #29
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG-E92 ESS-650 BPM Tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjw2331 View Post
The more expensive Friction Modifier(FM) booster fluid provided by BMW, and used for noisy differentials, is Castrol SAF-XJ with FM booster. They just put the FM additive into the original fluid.

I don't know what you mean by another level above the Castrol? I believe the extra cost you are paying is for BMW repackaging and adding FM booster.

The FM fluid is really only necessary when there is chatter. It's not a superior fluid that has to be put in our diffs. If the diff doesn't chatter, there is no need for the more expensive fluid. Also, too much FM can alter the locking properties of the LSD and isn't good for differential seals. The more ideal method to reduce chatter would be to add small increments of FM until the chatter goes away. Unfortunately, we do not know how much FM BMW adds to the SAF-XJ fluid.

That's what I said. The standard bmw fluid is the same as the Castrol Syntrax. The FM boosted stuff has another bump in modifier.
      04-10-2014, 10:12 AM   #30
jjw2331
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 JtBlk e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki00
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjw2331 View Post

That's what I said. The standard bmw fluid is the same as the Castrol Syntrax. The FM boosted stuff has another bump in modifier.
I see what you mean. Thanks for clarifying
      04-10-2014, 10:17 AM   #31
marksae
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by elim11 View Post
I used redline diff fluid. A lot of grinding noises. Tried making tight circles to lubricate..no luck.

Will have to switch to the unicorn BMW FM Fluid.
Did you use the fluid for LSD's?

IG: @gearheadtwins
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 12:23 PM   #32
elim11
Major
Rep
Drives: e90m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksae View Post
Did you use the fluid for LSD's?
I believe so..redline 75W-140.
      04-10-2014, 05:43 PM   #33
apecush
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by elim11 View Post
I believe so..redline 75W-140.
try some redline LSD additive...
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 05:48 PM   #34
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by apecush View Post
try some redline LSD additive...
Redline makes two 75-140, one with modifier, one without. If you go adding your own, add it in SMALL amounts at a time. 1oz or less would be enough of that 4oz bottle. Too much and it's open diff season.
      04-11-2014, 08:55 PM   #35
E90M3velocity
Captain
Philippines
Rep
Drives: Manual-Slicktop E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
I'm used to the groaning, and don't use the FM boosted stuff, but, if once you make the turn, and the groaning doesn't stop while straightening the car, there could be an issue. I really only experience this in cold weather. The noise is necessary for it to do its job.
Cool, thanks!
Appreciate 0