BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

11-27-2023, 01:18 PM   #265
Thumbie
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/4/6

I think we're all curious to see if you cut it open and find something lol. And I bet turner would be interested too

2011 Jerez E90 M3 6-speed Competition Package
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2023, 12:29 PM   #266
nevaland9
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

UPDATE:
After leaving a message for the supervisor (and/or making this post), i actually got a call back from the supervisor who authorized a replacement to be sent out to me and said i do not need to send the old one back. I am pleased with Turner Motorsports once again.

I have also had an annoying experience with TurnerMotorsport. Im now im my second unit.

Ive had a Valvetronic V1 on my car for over a year and it was fun but its quieter than stock with the valves closed and obnoxiously loud when the valves are open. Not bad, just zero refinement which gets tired after a while.

I initially purchased a used Valved Turner muffler from a FB. After installing a realized that the exhaust was making contact with the upper heat shield. After bending the heat shield up basically everywhere, i didn't have any unwanted noises and it was great for over a month until i did an AutoX event. The next day i noticed the exhaust making a terrible rattling noise at idle and upon inspection i realized that the noise stopped when i placed my hand on the passenger side of the muffler. Immediately i realize that there was an internal issue(likely baffle) and that i wouldnt be able to do anything about it.

Knowing i didn't purchase the muffler directly from turner, i still reached out to see if theres any options to send it in for repair or if there was any other options to help me out. They couldn't do anything for me because they dont make the mufflers themselves and my only option was to buy a new one. Totally understandable, i wasn't expecting warranty support for something i didn't buy new.

So i purchased a brand new Titanium one at retail. Upon installation, i immediately noticed some issues with the new Turner muffler:
-For the life of me i couldn't get it to align centered in the bumper where the previous (used) one fit and aligned perfectly. The new muffler drastically hugged the driver side of the car.
- The alignment was so bad, i ended up flipping the drive side exhaust mount to compensate and somewhat center the tips. (the mounts are offset forward)
-The new muffler also seemed to sit even higher than the previous one, even tho i had bent the heat shield for clearance on the previous one, the new unit was making excessive contact, so much so that i had to place 1/2" spacers between the two outer hangers, the center hanger mount and the car to get the whole exhaust to drop away from the heat shield.
-Also noted the the passenger side mini heim joints on the valve actuators had excessive play between the race and bearing and made a pretty dreadful noise when opening and closing.

So after a full weekend of messing around with this exhaust, I finally get everything to an acceptable place and the sound was great, for one whole week....

I spent last Sunday doing a Tours on Tarmac event with a great group of people in upstate NY. 200+ miles of spirited back road driving, tons of fun. The exhaust performed without issue until we stopped for food before heading home. Once i started my return journey (2+ hours) i noticed the exhaust was making this awful rattling sound at idle and between 2-3k it made this terrible buzzing sound. Im exhausted and its dark so i dont dig too deep into it. When i start the car the following morning, i hear the awful rattling noise. I immediately identify that its coming from the muffler, i place my hand in the exact same side as the previous muffler (pass side) and the noise stops right away.

(Monday) Just discovering source of rattling, Im extremely frustrated at this point. I shoot a video, write an email to Turner on the same thread i started for the first (used) muffler calmly explaining my noise & explaining the multiple issues i had during installation. I get a quick vague response, trying to explain to me how heim joints work and just completely glazing over any kind of warranty/ replacement options. I immediately respond asking what my options are for replacement, i get no response back. I called for three days straight and am unable to get in touch with a single human being.

(Wednesday) Ive called multiple times every day and finally get in touch with someone who says the person i was speaking to got COVID. I explain my whole situation again and forward her the email thread. She said they would send me a new muffler but i would have to send the existing one back first, i stated that would be a problem for me as i cant afford to have the car off the road for 1 week+ and voiced my frustrations about the amount of time and effort i had already invested in getting their product to work as advertised. She said she would speak to her manager and PSQ team and follow back up shortly. She stayed true to her word and called me back later that day and agreed to send me a new muffler and that they didnt need the old muffler back. I still offered to send it back as i have no use for it but she declined.

(Thursday) I wake up to an email from the same customer support person, with the RMA process, instructions and a shipping label stating that i need to send the original back before they can send me my replacement or my other option would be to purchase another ($2100) muffler from them and they will refund me when they get back my defective unit. I respond with my frustrations and question what happened to the original agreement and mention again that i have no problems sending the unit back but i simply dont have another exhaust to place back on the car in the interim and that leaving my car inoperable just isn't an option for me. I try calling multiple times again but with no luck.

(Friday) I call again and finally get through to someone new who states the two previous people i spoke to aren't in. They give me the same options of sending back my old one first or buying a new one ($2100+) but now offering 10% off. I ask to speak to a manager and im forwarded to a voice mail.

Short version

Sorry for the long rant, im sure this may come off as whiny too some but this has been an immensely frustrating situation for me.
- Purchased a used Turner muffler, it breakes after a month of use. I lost 1k on the initial used exhaust, fine thats on me.
-Contact turner, they cant help because its used (completely understandable)
-I sell my valvetronic to purchase a brand new Turner muffler knowing ill at least have a warranty with a new unit.
-It breaks the exact same way within a week.
-Email Turner on the same thread about broken NEW exhaust
-First they agree to send me replacement unit without hassle then flip overnight and say i need to send this one back first or buy a new one.

I have been completely transparent with turner on this whole debacle and they've been unwilling to work with me at all. Im not asking for any hand outs, money back or discounts, im just asking them to do the right thing and not leave me without a car while awaiting a replacement exhaust with their name on it. Keep in mind its the holidays, i dont have an extra $2100 laying around to buy a third exhaust from them and then wait for a refund. Im just annoyed at the amount of time and energy i have invested in this exhaust, the unresponsive customer service and flip flopping of help.

At this point i dont know what to think. Im very disappointed in Turner Motorsports, i have purchased a majority of my parts from them without any problems in the past. I feel like they are treating me like a scammer or something.

Old Muffler after a month:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rexJdsqwNJG9G4Su6

New Muffler after 1 week:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/7aeFuu3dM9RtasoL8

Last edited by nevaland9; 12-01-2023 at 02:15 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2023, 12:59 PM   #267
BlueKitana9246
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328I. E92 M3. E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevaland9 View Post
I have also had a shitty experience with TurnerMotorsport. Im now im my second unit.

Ive had a Valvetronic V1 on my car for over a year and it was fun but its quieter than stock with the valves closed and obnoxiously loud when the valves are open. Not bad, just zero refinement which gets tired after a while.

I initially purchased a used Valved Turner muffler from a FB. After installing a realized that the exhaust was making contact with the upper heat shield. After bending the heat shield up basically everywhere, i didn't have any unwanted noises and it was great for over a month until i did an AutoX event. The next day i noticed the exhaust making a terrible rattling noise at idle and upon inspection i realized that the noise stopped when i placed my hand on the passenger side of the muffler. Immediately i realize that there was an internal issue(likely baffle) and that i wouldnt be able to do anything about it.

Knowing i didn't purchase the muffler directly from turner, i still reached out to see if theres any options to send it in for repair or if there was any other options to help me out. They couldn't do anything for me because they dont make the mufflers themselves and my only option was to buy a new one. Totally understandable, i wasn't expecting warranty support for something i didn't buy new.

So i purchased a brand new Titanium one at retail. Upon installation, i immediately noticed some issues with the new Turner muffler:
-For the life of me i couldn't get it to align centered in the bumper where the previous (used) one fit and aligned perfectly. The new muffler drastically hugged the driver side of the car.
- The alignment was so bad, i ended up flipping the drive side exhaust mount to compensate and somewhat center the tips. (the mounts are offset forward)
-The new muffler also seemed to sit even higher than the previous one, even tho i had bent the heat shield for clearance on the previous one, the new unit was making excessive contact, so much so that i had to place 1/2" spacers between the two outer hangers, the center hanger mount and the car to get the whole exhaust to drop away from the heat shield.
-Also noted the the passenger side mini heim joints on the valve actuators had excessive play between the race and bearing and made a pretty dreadful noise when opening and closing.

So after a full weekend of messing around with this exhaust, I finally get everything to an acceptable place and the sound was great, for one whole week....

I spent last Sunday doing a Tours on Tarmac event with a great group of people in upstate NY. 200+ miles of spirited back road driving, tons of fun. The exhaust performed without issue until we stopped for food before heading home. Once i started my return journey (2+ hours) i noticed the exhaust was making this awful rattling sound at idle and between 2-3k it made this terrible buzzing sound. Im exhausted and its dark so i dont dig too deep into it. When i start the car the following morning, i hear the awful rattling noise. I immediately identify that its coming from the muffler, i place my hand in the exact same side as the previous muffler (pass side) and the noise stops right away.

(Monday)Im extremely frustrated at this point, i shoot a video, write an email to Turner on the same thread i started for the first (used) muffler calmly explaining my noise & explaining the multiple issues i had during installation. I get a quick vague response, trying to explain to me how heim joints work and just completely glazing over any kind of warranty/ replacment options. When i immediately respond asking what my options are for replacement, i get no response back. I called for three days straight and am unable to get in touch with a single human being.

(Wednesday) Ive called every day and finally get in touch with someone who says the person i was speaking to got COVID. I explain my whole situation again and forward her the email thread. She said they would send me a new muffler but i would have to send the existing one back first, i stated that would be a problem for me as i cant afford to have the car off the road for 1 week+ and voiced my frustrations about the amount of time and effort i had already invested in getting their product to work as advertised. She said she would speak to her manager and PSQ team and follow back up shortly. She stayed true to her word and called me back later that day and agreed to send me a new muffler and that they didnt need the old muffler back. I still offered to send it back as i have no use for it but she declined.

(Thursday) I wake up to an email from the same customer support person, with the RMA process, instructions and a shipping label stating that i need to send the original back before they can send me my replacement or my other option would be to purchase another ($2100) muffler from them and they will refund me when they get back my defective unit. I respond with my frustrations and question what happened to the original agreement and mention again that i have no problems sending the unit back but i simply dont have another exhaust to place back on the car in the interim and that leaving my car inoperable just isn't an option for me. I try calling multiple times again but with no luck.

(Friday) I call again and finally get through to someone new who states the two previous people i spoke to aren't in. They give me the same options of sending back my old one first or buying a new one ($2100+) but now offering 10% off. I ask to speak to a manager and im forwarded to a voice mail.

Short version

Sorry for the long rant, im sure this may come off as whiny too some but this has been an immensely frustrating situation for me.
- I lost 1k on the initial used exhaust, fine thats on me.
-I sell my valvetronic to purchase a brand new Turner muffler knowing ill at least have a warranty with a new unit.
-It breaks the exact same way within a week.
- First they agree to send me replacement unit without hassle then flip overnight and say i need to send this one back first or buy a new one.

I have been completely transparent with turner on this whole debacle and they've been unwilling to work with me at all. Im not asking for any hand outs, money back or discounts, im just asking them to do the right thing and not leave me without a car while awaiting a replacement exhaust with their name on it. Keep in mind its the holidays, i dont have an extra $2100 laying around to buy a third exhaust from them and then wait for a refund. Im just annoyed at the amount of time and energy i have invested in this exhaust, the unresponsive customer service and flip flopping of help.

At this point i dont know what to think. Im very disappointed in Turner Motorsports, i have purchased a majority of my parts from them without any problems in the past. I feel like they are treating me like a scammer or something.

Old Muffler after a month:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rexJdsqwNJG9G4Su6

New Muffler after 1 week:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/7aeFuu3dM9RtasoL8
hmm this makes me worry a little now. i just recently purchased and received the Turner SS version of the exhaust, and intake as a doorbuster set on ECS. im curious if ill run into this same issue or any issue. fingers crossed. will post updates.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2023, 01:25 PM   #268
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
This thread is 13 pages long. Why are you still buying a known defective product (SS or titanium). The support from Turner seems to be luck of the draw.
      12-01-2023, 01:28 PM   #269
chicagob5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueKitana9246 View Post
hmm this makes me worry a little now. i just recently purchased and received the Turner SS version of the exhaust, and intake as a doorbuster set on ECS. im curious if ill run into this same issue or any issue. fingers crossed. will post updates.
For what it's worth, I have one of the early units and mine is still problem free. I've only put on 2000 miles on it though but I'd think that should be plenty for it to break in and potentially develop a problem. Definitely a little survivors bias on my end haha.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2023, 02:09 PM   #270
nevaland9
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
This thread is 13 pages long. Why are you still buying a known defective product (SS or titanium). The support from Turner seems to be luck of the draw.
Very fair point, but it seems that not EVERYONE has had an issue and its clear the number of defective units is an acceptable tolerance vs the number sold since they have not stopped selling them yet.

To be fair, in the world of valved exhausts you either have Alibaba options, meistershaft and their world famous customer service or a fairly reputable state side option from Turner motorsports. Pick your poison

Also the Turner and Meistershaft are the only two (available) options i know of that sound good while closed and dont sound like straight exhaust dumps while open.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2023, 02:13 PM   #271
nevaland9
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbie View Post
I think we're all curious to see if you cut it open and find something lol. And I bet turner would be interested too
Once i get my replacement unit, i promise to cut my old one open in the name of science.
Appreciate 2
      12-01-2023, 02:25 PM   #272
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Very fair point, but it seems that not EVERYONE has had an issue and its clear the number of defective units is an acceptable tolerance vs the number sold since they have not stopped selling them yet.

To be fair, in the world of valved exhausts you either have Alibaba options, meistershaft and their world famous customer service or a fairly reputable state side option from Turner motorsports. Pick your poison

Also the Turner and Meistershaft are the only two (available) options i know of that sound good while closed and dont sound like straight exhaust dumps while open.
It’s your money and frustration. Just seems obvious from the sidelines. Those that don’t have issues probably have little to no real miles on the exhaust. Shit welds will likely crack for them too. In which, the warranty period may be over.

Yes, valves exhaust options are limited.

Best of luck!

Edit: also turner / ecs sucks! Stopped giving them my money years ago.
      12-01-2023, 05:41 PM   #273
Soden82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagob5 View Post
For what it's worth, I have one of the early units and mine is still problem free. I've only put on 2000 miles on it though but I'd think that should be plenty for it to break in and potentially develop a problem. Definitely a little survivors bias on my end haha.
Same, except I have about 1000-1100 miles.
I fully expect mine to break eventually, but I was an early adopter (October of 2022) and got it for a great deal.

Most likely will ride it out as long as I can, and if it breaks I’ll get a meisterschaft and pony up.

All in all, for the money it is an amazing sounding exhaust
MHD tuned
VRSF Race IC
DCI
ATM exhaust
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2023, 08:07 AM   #274
chicagob5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soden82 View Post
Most likely will ride it out as long as I can, and if it breaks I’ll get a meisterschaft and pony up.

Ditto, I'm just waiting for it to break and if it does I think ill go with Dinan and call it a day. I got the stock axleback in storage so worst case I can throw that on.
Appreciate 1
Soden82481.50
      12-02-2023, 08:56 AM   #275
Soden82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Ditto, I'm just waiting for it to break and if it does I think ill go with Dinan and call it a day. I got the stock axleback in storage so worst case I can throw that on.
I sold my MPE V1, maybe I should’ve kept it as a backup. Worse case there’s always a Megan exhaust for a few hundred to hold me over
MHD tuned
VRSF Race IC
DCI
ATM exhaust
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2023, 02:51 PM   #276
nevaland9
Rep

Yea, every time i had one fail on me it was after a day of hard use. Titanium does some weird things when heated and cooled rapidly which i think is the problem (even tho my first unit was SS).

Quote:
Same, except I have about 1000-1100 miles.
I fully expect mine to break eventually, but I was an early adopter (October of 2022) and got it for a great deal.

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2023, 01:42 PM   #277
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

Quote:
I think the gauge of the titanium is too thin on the side panel or if your hand is stopping it from vibrating, then i would probably just have an exhaust shop rig a quick brace onto it.

ALSO.. is this a crack? which might explain why it stopped rattling when you applied pressure.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 03:46 PM   #278
nevaland9
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgzirra_exe View Post
I think the gauge of the titanium is too thin on the side panel or if your hand is stopping it from vibrating, then i would probably just have an exhaust shop rig a quick brace onto it.

ALSO.. is this a crack? which might explain why it stopped rattling when you applied pressure.

So after brining both broken SS and Ti mufflers to my friends fab shop, i had him laser cut open the SS one to inspect the baffles inside. To my surprise, there wasn't actually anything broken inside the muffler. I was a bit surprised to see that there was no fiberglass insulation inside the muffler, def explains the hollow, metallic sound the exhaust makes (sounds good imo) but it also explains why theres kind of a weird resonance around 2-3k.

We also discovered that the sides of the muffler (L & R) are absolutely too thin.

Additionally omgzirra_exe comment was correct. Good eye, there is indeed a crack! Both mufflers cracked on the thin side walls! The Ti version actually started splitting around the seam and the SS one cracked along the weld for the pipe exiting out of the side. Interestingly enough, both cracks are on the passenger side of the muffler.

SS Muffler:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BcA...usp=drive_link

Cut open:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Bgs...usp=drive_link

Ti Muffler:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BdX...usp=drive_link

The current Ti on my car hasnt started showing any issues but it does seem the thin sides are kind of ballooning outwards.

So my friend is going CNC some 1/8-1/4" plates for the sides and weld a thicker bead around the seams that split. This should solve the issue with the thin walls and prevent any future cracking. Ill keep you guys posted on my reengineered muffler solution. This should make the muffler pretty solid, we shall see.
Appreciate 4
      01-03-2024, 08:55 PM   #279
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
you know what bothers me the most about the internals of this exhaust.. is the fact they couldn't take the time to face the inners walls in opposite directions.. instead they both face the same direction...
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 11:22 PM   #280
Nixis
Private
Rep

Does anyone know if turner is going to make a v2 fixing all these issues?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 03:51 PM   #281
Thumbie
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/4/6

Quote:
Quote:
I sold my MPE V1, maybe I should’ve kept it as a backup. Worse case there’s always a Megan exhaust for a few hundred to hold me over
Some $0.02 but my close friend has gone through a couple mufflers on his e90 (starting with a faulty Turner SS) and ended up with Dinan. I can say personally it is the best sounding S65 muffler I have heard in person. Really not much louder than stock when cruising, to the point where you wouldn't notice it. but you def hear it under load and its nice and sounds refined. Not raspy and no drone. stock midpipe.

Have another friend running Megan and it actually sounds really nice. Deep and smooth like a muscle car. Not overly loud, similar volume to the Akra muffler. Do not let the low price scare you from this muffler. Also running stock midpipe BTW.

2011 Jerez E90 M3 6-speed Competition Package
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 07:32 PM   #282
maicol76
First Lieutenant
Rep

After 6 days of track driving over 2 weeks, my TMS Ti muffler also tore on the both side.
How do I solve this problem? I would really appreciate any advice.
Attached Images

2011 LCI W/DCT / K&N drop in filter / CSF radiator / do88 oil cooler / do88 DCT cooler / Akra Evo / Moton CS 2 way coilover / Wiechers strut bar(F) / ARC strut bar(R) / Alcon Superkit BBK / Tarox rotor / Geoff steel EHPS / Sard carbon-Kevlar GT wing / GT4 carnard / Aim Evo4+G-dash+GT Steering+S/C GP HD / Bride Zeta3 / etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2024, 04:23 AM   #283
nevaland9
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maicol76 View Post
After 6 days of track driving over 2 weeks, my TMS Ti muffler also tore on the both side.
If you bought it from Turner, make them send u another one under their “lifetime replacement guarantee” but theres no guarantee it wont happen again. I domt think well see a revision on this muffler for a while.

Alternatively, you can find a metal fabricator familiar with Ti, im having my friend make a thicker plate to weld on top of the ends with a thick bead around where it cracked. If your in NY, DM me and i can help you out. Ill post some pics once its completed. Hopefully reinforcing the thin walls will fix the problem permanently but only time will tell.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2024, 09:05 AM   #284
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Wow! An exhaust should be capable of surviving six, or even 50, track days without cracking/failing. I sure hope Turner stands behind their product. Turner’s replacement warranty is nowhere near as good as FCP’s replacement warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2024, 11:12 AM   #285
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

It's most likely too much backpressure on the exhaust when the valves are closed. After seeing the inside of the canister, there's really no direct routing, but just perforated pipes.

You can have a shop familiar with titanium just weld it back closed. It will cost you a good chunk of change, but it's repairable.

So, you can either:
  1. Warranty it and wait weeks.
  2. Have a fabrication shop re-weld it to repair the cracks.

This is the same symptom as the mperf exhaust issues, where it cracks on the welds. I would also ask the fab shop to weld a small brace to support the side of the canister.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2024, 11:21 AM   #286
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgzirra_exe View Post
It's most likely too much backpressure on the exhaust when the valves are closed. After seeing the inside of the canister, there's really no direct routing, but just perforated pipes.

You can have a shop familiar with titanium just weld it back closed. It will cost you a good chunk of change, but it's repairable.

So, you can either:

Warranty it and wait weeks.
Have a fabrication shop re-weld it to repair the cracks.

This is the same symptom as the mperf exhaust issues, where it cracks on the welds. I would also ask the fab shop to weld a small brace to support the side of the canister.
I would use the warranty to get a new exhaust to then have the bracing work done. Getting titanium clean enough to weld will be tough, otherwise I’ll likely fail again. I’d want to start with as clean a surface as possible!