BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Mporium BMW

05-03-2022, 02:05 PM   #727
Biwster26
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by priebe3 View Post
I encounter this issue fairly often

It seems to happen when I shut off the car and then start it again within about 15 minutes (maybe Mr12Volt doesn't have time to shut off or something?)

Switching the input to Radio on the CIC and then back to CD (Mr12Volt) always fixes it for me
I've been using the same switch to radio and back to CD which clears the issue but would like to find a permanent solution if one exists. Currently it seems to do it every time waking up from a full sleep, only doesn't have the issue if just doing a quick key cycle.

Is this happening on similar hardware configurations? I have an e90 HK system with the factory dash mounted CD/dvd player, and the trunk TEL/MULF box is still in the MOST loop.

Last edited by Biwster26; 05-03-2022 at 02:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2022, 06:49 PM   #728
jlnation
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biwster26 View Post
Having the exact same issue on my install, what ended up being the fix here?
It never got fixed, mr12volt offered a new unit, but had the same issue. Then firmware updates but never got a chance to do it.

Ordered the new unit and am hoping it fixes it.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2022, 07:38 PM   #729
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

Report the issues please. Now that the bass issue appears to be fixed with the newer hardware, priority should be given to software bugs.

I've had issues where I cant get audio going in carplay, and usually doing a microphone search in a map app, or disconnecting and reconnecting carplay snaps it out of it. Might be the same issue you all are talking about. Happened with the old and new box. Have not clearly identified the situation that causes it to repro.

I have two other cars with factory carplay, and neither one of them have this issue, so it definitely seems like a bug with the P2000, granted neither of those 2 cars are wireless carplay.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2022, 11:00 PM   #730
sparkyblue
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i & F80 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biwster26 View Post
I've been using the same switch to radio and back to CD which clears the issue but would like to find a permanent solution if one exists. Currently it seems to do it every time waking up from a full sleep, only doesn't have the issue if just doing a quick key cycle.

Is this happening on similar hardware configurations? I have an e90 HK system with the factory dash mounted CD/dvd player, and the trunk TEL/MULF box is still in the MOST loop.
Drove the car a bunch today, once with it sitting parked for 3 hours, once for 1 hour and once for 30 minutes. All three times it exhibited the high pitched noise and I had to switch to FM -> CD1 to fix it.

While its annoying, its not the end of the world as it works fine throughout the drive thereafter.

Really hoping a software update will fix this in the future.

Otherwise, I've had zero issues with the unit using wireless Carplay. It sounds great and navigates smoothly throughout the menus.

I'm still tinkering with the display settings to find the optimal settings. Would love for others to share their settings to see what works best!

With the audio settings, I leave the the new Mr12Volt P2000 with DSP audio settings flat and then adjust the audio within the factory CIC interface.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 12:04 AM   #731
drwankel
Major
Rep

My issue does not have any kind of high pitched noise. Must be a different thing. So far nothing like that.

For the display- drop the contrast 10 clicks on the idrive knob. If you are an iphone user, use google maps as a reference for what "correct" should be. Observe what side streets are supposed to look like on the iphone, then observe carplay. The P2000 washes it out so bad, the side streets are almost invisible.

Dropping the contrast 10 clicks gets things back into a normal state. It might initially look worse elsewhere in carplay, because what you were looking at previously was over saturated.

I'm still experimenting with the brightness.
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2022, 12:26 AM   #732
stargazer.80
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25

Hi friends, long time lurker here and eagerly awaited the upgraded Mr12Volt unit.

I am having hard time removing the original idrive connector, I tried using pliers to pull it out, as well as jamming a flat screwdriver to separate it a bit, to no avail.

This is on X3 F25 so might be a bit different.

Any tips on how to do it? Second night I am stuck on this.

EDIT: also any tips on how to thread the idrive cable? The instruction video does not match my car since I have the cup holder and cigarette lighter in front?

On the second photo I can see two connectors, on left side the one that goes into the controller, I have been trying to unplug that one. There is also another one on the top right which looks like it could be extension? I assume I am not supposed to touch that one?
Attached Images

Last edited by stargazer.80; 05-04-2022 at 12:57 AM.. Reason: mis click
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 12:07 PM   #733
Biwster26
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlnation View Post
It never got fixed, mr12volt offered a new unit, but had the same issue. Then firmware updates but never got a chance to do it.

Ordered the new unit and am hoping it fixes it.
Hoping the new unit resolves the issue for you, but for what it's worth I'm having the issue on the new DSP unit
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 05:46 PM   #734
alex7123
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 6 Series

Hi guys, few questions:
1) Is wireless android auto supported? I know wired is, as well as wireless carplay
2)Once set up does it launch straight into into carplay / aa automatically? Or do you have to faff around selecting the cd player and connect it every time?
3) How long does the boot process take? Ie how long from inserting the key to playing music off Spotify
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 02:48 AM   #735
drwankel
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex7123 View Post
Hi guys, few questions:
1) Is wireless android auto supported? I know wired is, as well as wireless carplay
2)Once set up does it launch straight into into carplay / aa automatically? Or do you have to faff around selecting the cd player and connect it every time?
3) How long does the boot process take? Ie how long from inserting the key to playing music off Spotify
Thanks
1. Yes, wireless android auto is supported.

2. When the CIC (factory infotainment) boots, it will start with its last selected input. If that's The mr12volt box, then you will see that on boot, video included. Within the mr12volt box, you can tell it to auto start your phone app on boot or not. (carplay or android auto).

This is a helpful option if you boot to CIC and not carplay. (example you normally use the radio or something). The mr12volt box boots up regardless if you are using it or not, and you dont want it auto connecting carplay and draining your phone battery if you are not using it.

3. The mr12volt box boots faster than the CIC does, and the CIC must be booted up to start sound.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 10:01 AM   #736
alex7123
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 6 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
1. Yes, wireless android auto is supported.

2. When the CIC (factory infotainment) boots, it will start with its last selected input. If that's The mr12volt box, then you will see that on boot, video included. Within the mr12volt box, you can tell it to auto start your phone app on boot or not. (carplay or android auto).

This is a helpful option if you boot to CIC and not carplay. (example you normally use the radio or something). The mr12volt box boots up regardless if you are using it or not, and you dont want it auto connecting carplay and draining your phone battery if you are not using it.

3. The mr12volt box boots faster than the CIC does, and the CIC must be booted up to start sound.
Nice, seems like a really good and well thought out system. I've seen some videos of other android units that seem to take forever to get themselves sorted.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 02:48 PM   #737
dwaynemosley
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '10 E92 M3

I've been reading this thread since its inception. I purchased a CIC Mr12Volt unit in mid-September. Before having time to install it, I started reading about bass issues and all the diagnostic discussions regarding potential S/W, H/W and firmware issues. I didn't want to tear the car apart and then have to do it again.

Along the way, someone mentioned the potential of an upgraded unit with Mr12Volt providing a discount for previous purchasers. The latest posts here indicate that the bass issue is resolved with these latest units compared to the earlier units. Have the new units been upgraded to provide improved Bass output? Is there a new model number for these newer units?

If so, what's involved in ordering the newer unit and being sure that's the one you're actually ordering? I've been trying to communicate with Mr12Volt through eBay regarding an upgrade and cannot be sure they know what I'm asking about. The language barrier has been firmly in place. In fact, my last return message reply was in Chinese and required me to ask them again for info.

Has anyone upgraded and received a discount? Do we ask in advance, or is there a specific method for this to assure the discount? Do they ask for the original unit back? I'd rather not order another one and receive the same version and get stuck in return issues.

I welcome any direction or advice with this. Thanks in advance.
      05-06-2022, 03:30 PM   #738
stargazer.80
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25

Don't go through ebay, go directly to their website, there is also a phone number so you can chat with them on whatsapp, they are very responsive.

The new unit name is P2000MD

https://www.mr12volt.com/collections...-interface-dsp
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 05:41 PM   #739
drwankel
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynemosley View Post
I've been reading this thread since its inception. I purchased a CIC Mr12Volt unit in mid-September. Before having time to install it, I started reading about bass issues and all the diagnostic discussions regarding potential S/W, H/W and firmware issues. I didn't want to tear the car apart and then have to do it again.

Along the way, someone mentioned the potential of an upgraded unit with Mr12Volt providing a discount for previous purchasers. The latest posts here indicate that the bass issue is resolved with these latest units compared to the earlier units. Have the new units been upgraded to provide improved Bass output? Is there a new model number for these newer units?

If so, what's involved in ordering the newer unit and being sure that's the one you're actually ordering? I've been trying to communicate with Mr12Volt through eBay regarding an upgrade and cannot be sure they know what I'm asking about. The language barrier has been firmly in place. In fact, my last return message reply was in Chinese and required me to ask them again for info.

Has anyone upgraded and received a discount? Do we ask in advance, or is there a specific method for this to assure the discount? Do they ask for the original unit back? I'd rather not order another one and receive the same version and get stuck in return issues.

I welcome any direction or advice with this. Thanks in advance.
Looks like the upgrade discount is gone. It was only for pre-orders.

But yes, don't bother with ebay, get it from them directly.

https://www.mr12volt.com/collections...-interface-dsp

As stated they are responsive in whatsapp. They also respond over e-mail, but responses are much slower there.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 05:45 PM   #740
drwankel
Major
Rep

I take that back, it looks like the upgrade discount is still available, but the link isn't published. Says its valid until May 31st.

https://www.mr12volt.com/pages/p2000...rningcustomers

Keep in mind you need to have purchased from Mr12volt directly in order to get the upgrade discount.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 06:20 PM   #741
Tigamilla
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Installed the new DSP box last weekend but haven't really had a chance to play with it, and they did honour the discount after verifying that bought the original box. The bass is definitely now on par with the Combox, very curious as to what settings people are using?

I turned up the DSP bass settings etc to the point of distortion and the went a few notches down as a test, but not sure if I should leave everything flat and use the CIC tone settings instead? Have to say this is SOOOO much easier to install than the original box as all the antennas are internal. All in all very pleased with it.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 08:22 AM   #742
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

For the E93 crowd, I thought this would help. I was doing an install for someone and they didn't want the microphone external. The E93 has the microphones in the steering column top housing.

There is a blanking plate on the right side that can be popped out. I cut open the supplied microphone with a box cutter, removed the element, pulled the gortex (black mesh for waterproofing) off the top of the blanking plate and drilled a ~3/8" hole in it. With a little xacto work and filing I got it to fit snug and flush and used epoxy to hold it in place. I finished with a little super glue to hold the gortex back on and popped it in. Audio quality seemed good on the phone.
Attached Images

05-07-2022, 11:16 AM   #743
danbav
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 330i, 335i. Golf GTI mk1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
For the E93 crowd, I thought this would help. I was doing an install for someone and they didn't want the microphone external. The E93 has the microphones in the steering column top housing.

There is a blanking plate on the right side that can be popped out. I cut open the supplied microphone with a box cutter, removed the element, pulled the gortex (black mesh for waterproofing) off the top of the blanking plate and drilled a ~3/8" hole in it. With a little xacto work and filing I got it to fit snug and flush and used epoxy to hold it in place. I finished with a little super glue to hold the gortex back on and popped it in. Audio quality seemed good on the phone.
Does anyone know if the E93 steering housing that contains the oem mic will fit a e92? If it does could be a good place for the mr12volt one to be hidden in?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 11:18 AM   #744
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbav View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post

Does anyone know if the E93 steering housing that contains the oem mic will fit a e92? If it does could be a good place for the mr12volt one to be hidden in?
The sedan/coupe dome light area has two slots, someone posted a similar approach earlier. I don't think there is a plate included on that setup. When I get around to doing my E90 I will double check.
      05-07-2022, 05:17 PM   #745
RUG8RB8
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 E93, many more

2009 E93 M3 cabriolet hoping someone has seen this issue. My car never had a CD-changer from new. After P-2000 install I can't see the P-2000, there is no way to select it from the menu. I only have the single CD player and it still works, if I select that it plays. Will this scenario require some sort of coding?
2009 E93 M3, Alpine White, Harrop S/C, BE Bearing Upgrade, ARP Custom Age 625+ rod bolts, Billet DCT Pan and Side Cover, Billet filter cover, Topspeed Quad Resonated 63mm X-pipe, Vangaurd Ti exhaust, 19" BBS Fi's, BPM DCT Tune, BPM Harrop Tune, almost every known early Failure/Leaky item brand new, Mr. 12V DSP MM Upgrade, CF Splitter & Diffuser, P3 Custom Multi Gauge, Lumar Ceramic Tint, 3M PPF
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6724.00
      05-07-2022, 06:18 PM   #746
drwankel
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUG8RB8 View Post
2009 E93 M3 cabriolet hoping someone has seen this issue. My car never had a CD-changer from new. After P-2000 install I can't see the P-2000, there is no way to select it from the menu. I only have the single CD player and it still works, if I select that it plays. Will this scenario require some sort of coding?
Yes, some cars need coding, others don't. Check the first post in the thread for the coding you need to do.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 06:20 PM   #747
RUG8RB8
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 E93, many more

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, some cars need coding, others don't. Check the first post in the thread for the coding you need to do.
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you!!! Working fine after coding!
2009 E93 M3, Alpine White, Harrop S/C, BE Bearing Upgrade, ARP Custom Age 625+ rod bolts, Billet DCT Pan and Side Cover, Billet filter cover, Topspeed Quad Resonated 63mm X-pipe, Vangaurd Ti exhaust, 19" BBS Fi's, BPM DCT Tune, BPM Harrop Tune, almost every known early Failure/Leaky item brand new, Mr. 12V DSP MM Upgrade, CF Splitter & Diffuser, P3 Custom Multi Gauge, Lumar Ceramic Tint, 3M PPF
Appreciate 1
drwankel1025.50
      05-07-2022, 06:37 PM   #748
drwankel
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigamilla View Post
Installed the new DSP box last weekend but haven't really had a chance to play with it, and they did honour the discount after verifying that bought the original box. The bass is definitely now on par with the Combox, very curious as to what settings people are using?

I turned up the DSP bass settings etc to the point of distortion and the went a few notches down as a test, but not sure if I should leave everything flat and use the CIC tone settings instead? Have to say this is SOOOO much easier to install than the original box as all the antennas are internal. All in all very pleased with it.
Regarding sound settings- an update on my experiences so far.

The missing bass is restored with the EQ set to flat. The question now is- does the DSP need further adjustment, or is a flat EQ an exact match?

Testing is needed, but one odd ball thing I've noticed. The overall volume of the P2000 is slightly less than the CIC. I noticed the system volume looks like its maxed out at 30 in the P2000 menu, with navigation volume set to 25. However, the volume max is actually 32 not 30.

Increasing the volume to 32 gets it seemingly back inline with the rest of the CIC, but this introduces distortion. Specifically, I noticed the navigation voice in waze had distortion when the system volume was raised to 32. As such- I'd leave this setting alone. Keep it at 30. Have not tried raising it to 31 yet either.

As far as the rest of the EQ, I too have noticed that going to far with it introduces distortion. My initial testing with an iphone DB app suggested modifying the EQ with the following settings:

31HZ: +5
63hz +2
80Hz +1
160hz +4
375hz +0

I'm unclear if this is introducing distortion or not. You can try these settings and see how they sound to you.

The testing I did was the following- Download a test tone, example, 31hz. Play the tone natively in CIC, monitor the DB level with a DB reader, and record it. Go into the P2000, play the same test tone, and modify the EQ for that tone to get the DB level to be an exact match.

Realistically, I need to redo these tests with a standalone DB meter, and do the test directly from carplay (initial testing was done with the media player in the P2000), but its a starting point.

Again- we may very well need no adjustment at all. The slight system volume differences could have very well made my testing invalid.

Last edited by drwankel; 05-07-2022 at 07:25 PM..
Appreciate 2
Raphc10.50