BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

11-28-2019, 10:10 PM   #1
romero1990
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F25 X3

Garage List
2017 X3  [0.00]
2009 M3  [0.00]
Sweating DCT pan. DIY or shop?

hey folks.
When I bought my E92 last year. PPI said the DCT pan is sweating a little bit. The mechanic who inspected said it is normal to have a sweating DCT oil pan.

1 year later (now). Everything is doing well. I am start to think about minor upgrades here and there. Mainly I wanted to prep the car for AutoX and a few track days next year.(entry level for sure)

That said, should I start considering replace the DCT pan+ gasket + filter etc?
If I should get it done, is it something DIY-able or I'd better off find a reputable shop to do it?

location is in Bay Area.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 10:23 PM   #2
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1658960

It's definitely not normal, but not uncommon and not too big a deal. It's usually the top X seal that's the cause and requires pulling the DCT out.
Only problem is, there's not better fix other than the EOM seal, that is obviously prone to leaking.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 01:42 AM   #3
RE36TRO
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///E36,E46,E92,F80

Curious which shop was this in the Bay Area. I recently picked up a E92 M and had SVBimmer perform the PPI and found the same around the DCT pan. Not sure if they considered it normal but something not of a surprise given the car had 76k miles. It was def a pricey repair they quoted...not sure if i want to tackle that quite yet but was able to use it as a bargaining chip to get the price down a tad.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 02:39 AM   #4
romero1990
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 X3  [0.00]
2009 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE36TRO View Post
Curious which shop was this in the Bay Area. I recently picked up a E92 M and had SVBimmer perform the PPI and found the same around the DCT pan. Not sure if they considered it normal but something not of a surprise given the car had 76k miles. It was def a pricey repair they quoted...not sure if i want to tackle that quite yet but was able to use it as a bargaining chip to get the price down a tad.
I was with Performance Technic. Theoy said it's normal for the age of the car. I got mine at around 110K. certainly higher in millage. The car drives great. But I am not sure if I want to bite the bullet for the pan yet.

How is SV BIMMER treating you? They are like right next to my home
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 03:14 AM   #5
kyippee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Supra MK5, F44 235GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by romero1990 View Post
I was with Performance Technic. Theoy said it's normal for the age of the car. I got mine at around 110K. certainly higher in millage. The car drives great. But I am not sure if I want to bite the bullet for the pan yet.

If you buy the slon workshop top and bottom pans it solves the problem. Ptech installed both on my car, so they’re familiar with it
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 03:31 AM   #6
romero1990
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 X3  [0.00]
2009 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpewpew View Post
Quote:

If you buy the slon workshop top and bottom pans it solves the problem. Ptech installed both on my car, so they’re familiar with it
great to know. I saw Slon pan thread and am also intrigued by the caliper thing. Definitely gonna look into it.

How much did Ptech charge for the job?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 07:07 AM   #7
RE36TRO
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///E36,E46,E92,F80

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE36TRO View Post

The SVB guys are all awesome, real friendly bunch and knowledgeable. Business is booming there so I am assuming for a reason. I've had good experiences with Ptech too, they may be slightly more in rate. I'm also local to SVB next to Levi's.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 08:30 AM   #8
oolas3
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

You might want to look into the SSP viton gasket instead of a new OE gasket. The oe gasket I used only lasted 45k miles before it started weeping again. Too early to tell on the
SSP gasket but my shop said it was of high quality and perfect fit.

Last edited by oolas3; 11-29-2019 at 08:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 12:09 PM   #9
romero1990
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 X3  [0.00]
2009 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oolas3 View Post
You might want to look into the SSP viton gasket instead of a new OE gasket. The oe gasket I used only lasted 45k miles before it started weeping again. Too early to tell on the
SSP gasket but my shop said it was of high quality and perfect fit.
just looked up..hell, those are some very expensive gaskets. They'd better last forever.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 03:00 PM   #10
oolas3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
just looked up..hell, those are some very expensive gaskets. They'd better last forever.
You only need half the kit so $200. Not cheap but cheaper than doing it twice. And fwiw it does come with bolts.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 11:54 PM   #11
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

A few comments and corrections.

- The bottom pan/gasket is the common failure. It’s also the easiest to replace as it does not require lowering the box. The top and side can leak, but are less common. Before ordering parts and digging in, make sure you know where you’re weeping.

- You can get Slon pans, SSP gaskets, or go OEM. Slon will be tough because he went cold turkey after a caliper GB so might be forced to look second hand. SSP only sells their gaskets as a pair, IIRC. There’s a viton lower pan gasket on eBay for $100. OEM comes with a new pan.

- VT Motorworks in Livermore is also a fantastic shop, my local go-to. They’ve done this work on plenty of cars.
Appreciate 1
NQRDDS53.50
      12-01-2019, 07:11 AM   #12
oolas3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatth View Post
A few comments and corrections.

- You can get Slon pans, SSP gaskets, or go OEM. Slon will be tough because he went cold turkey after a caliper GB so might be forced to look second hand. SSP only sells their gaskets as a pair, IIRC. There’s a viton lower pan gasket on eBay for $100. OEM comes with a new pan.

You do not need to buy a pair at SSP. They will sell you the individual pieces but you have to order by phone. They also sell the bmw pan suction filter if needed.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 10:29 PM   #13
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

Good to know! I’d probably go that route if just the bottom is leaking, then. SSP gasket, new OE/Vaico filters, thorough cleaning of the original bottom pan, and OE/Pentosin fluid with the GTS +1L fill.
Appreciate 0