BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-26-2019, 10:53 PM   #67
LuckiSevens
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckiSevens View Post
I'm confused, you had edc but replaced it with something else (static set up), deleted the edc coding then realized what you did was crap? Modified it again, now it's all amazing.

What was the special need here, are you an expert chassis designer?
He had EDC. Replaced oem springs with HR springs(this doesn't mess with the EDC function). Realized that lowering the car with just springs and not replacing the bumpstocks/shaving the mounts would cause the ride to be horrible(provided a link below, if you're going to lower with just springs shaving the mounts and replacing the bumpstocks with e36 bumpstocks is a common route). The ride quality is terrible because of the reduction in travel. So then he replaced the oem assembly, this require unplugging the EDC which results in an error that can be coded out.

Bottom line OEM rides nicely, but isn't as adjustable as some of the coilover options. Also oem sits quite high, I'm not a fan of the excess wheel gap.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=427147
BMW optimized the car for handling on normal roads. if you have an amateur modified suspension, and the primary reason for doing that is how it looks or the 'stance', youll end up degrading the performance of the car. Also, if the ride is hard due to less travel, other sh!t will go wrong earlier like engine mounts and suspension bushes. You're butchering a nice car, smh.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 06:00 AM   #68
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckiSevens View Post
BMW optimized the car for handling on normal roads. if you have an amateur modified suspension, and the primary reason for doing that is how it looks or the 'stance', youll end up degrading the performance of the car. Also, if the ride is hard due to less travel, other sh!t will go wrong earlier like engine mounts and suspension bushes. You're butchering a nice car, smh.
Right and wrong ways to do everything. Replacing suspension components isn't rocket science, this forum has a shit load of information.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 06:22 AM   #69
noremaC
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90M

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenrok View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm41 View Post
1. Get a tune. ASAP. This is non-negotiable. I recommend Alpine.

2. Put exhaust on the car. This is negotiable, but I don't believe the true soul of this incredible sounding engine (one of the best sounding cars BMW ever made) is being done any favors with stock exhaust.
1. I'm doing research on tunes. I've Gintani is one of the better ones. I've also heard BMP.

2. Exhaust would be on the list. I've heard the ACM OEM exhaust mod makes it louder as well, along with some test pipes. And the added HP.
Just bought my second e9x m3 in January. Car came stock other than an ACM exhaust, suspension etc.

A month in, I've added test pipes (primary cat delete) and Alex@Alpine's Stage 2 Motor tune + GTS DCT tune and completely transformed the car.

Best way to describe the increase is it no longer feels bogged down - completely opens it up. Increase of power everywhere in the rev range. Sounds like a bat out of hell. Something like 40hp and 25-30tq increase makes a huge difference. For about $1k all said and done, it's a no brainer.
cjm41752.50
      03-27-2019, 07:22 AM   #70
lenrok
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by noremaC View Post
Just bought my second e9x m3 in January. Car came stock other than an ACM exhaust, suspension etc.

A month in, I've added test pipes (primary cat delete) and Alex@Alpine's Stage 2 Motor tune + GTS DCT tune and completely transformed the car.

Best way to describe the increase is it no longer feels bogged down - completely opens it up. Increase of power everywhere in the rev range. Sounds like a bat out of hell. Something like 40hp and 25-30tq increase makes a huge difference. For about $1k all said and done, it's a no brainer.
What test pipes did you go with?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 07:24 AM   #71
noremaC
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90M

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by noremaC View Post

What test pipes did you go with?
Rogue Engineering Non-Resonated. $250. Install was a little tricky says the shop. No leaks, though.
      03-31-2019, 08:54 PM   #72
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
Maybe I missed it, but Lenrok, how many miles have you put on the car? This is not a car for everyone, but it's an excellent driver. It's also not a car with easy performance. You have to drive the car deliberately and IMO, the harder you drive it, the better it is. This is unlike something like a 335/340, which is a lot easier to extract power out of.

I currently own two different ends of the spectrum. I have owned my e92 M for going on 4 years and I just got a Grand Cherokee SRT. The Jeep is a lot heavier than the BMW, but it's got so much more torque, which makes it easier to deal with the weight. When it comes to acceleration, wow, it's so effortless. Acceleration is roughly equal between the Jeep and M3, but because of the torque, the Jeep feels so much faster. An AWD launch with launch control is unlike anything I've experienced in the M3. It's also got a ton of tech and my BMW is devoid of pretty much all of it.

I love the Jeep because it's a brute---a muscle SUV. It sounds awesome, has easy speed, and being all black, is fairly menacing looking. But the M3 is a really special car. It's the whole package. The act of operating all aspects of the vehicle is fun. It took me a little time to appreciate it. And yeah, I've driven an F80. Great car, but I didn't find it better or worse than the e9x M---just different. I'm 5'11" and find the e9x to be nicely sized.

I'd like to get a C7 vette to replace the e92, but I'm just not motivated to make the change. I'm still quite satisfied with the bimmer.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 05:59 PM   #73
lenrok
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Roundel View Post
Maybe I missed it, but Lenrok, how many miles have you put on the car? This is not a car for everyone, but it's an excellent driver. It's also not a car with easy performance. You have to drive the car deliberately and IMO, the harder you drive it, the better it is. This is unlike something like a 335/340, which is a lot easier to extract power out of.

I currently own two different ends of the spectrum. I have owned my e92 M for going on 4 years and I just got a Grand Cherokee SRT. The Jeep is a lot heavier than the BMW, but it's got so much more torque, which makes it easier to deal with the weight. When it comes to acceleration, wow, it's so effortless. Acceleration is roughly equal between the Jeep and M3, but because of the torque, the Jeep feels so much faster. An AWD launch with launch control is unlike anything I've experienced in the M3. It's also got a ton of tech and my BMW is devoid of pretty much all of it.

I love the Jeep because it's a brute---a muscle SUV. It sounds awesome, has easy speed, and being all black, is fairly menacing looking. But the M3 is a really special car. It's the whole package. The act of operating all aspects of the vehicle is fun. It took me a little time to appreciate it. And yeah, I've driven an F80. Great car, but I didn't find it better or worse than the e9x M---just different. I'm 5'11" and find the e9x to be nicely sized.

I'd like to get a C7 vette to replace the e92, but I'm just not motivated to make the change. I'm still quite satisfied with the bimmer.
I've put maybe 300-500 miles on the car. I do not daily drive it. A Black F80 M3 recently popped up at a nearby dealer that has sparked my interest. I have not driven the F80 M3 as of yet, I do however love the look of it over the E90.

The E90 has grown on me a little. I understand that these things are meant to be driven hard, which is something to get used to. I'm not super tall, 5'9 but somedays i feel like the cabin is rather tight in the E90. I've invested into it by doing the Rod bearings and misc maintenance things my buddies tell me to keep it. I'm not sure yet
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 07:05 PM   #74
daarts
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

The other posts offer some great info. I thought I’d share my experience too as I’m coming up on a year of ownership this month and added about 15k miles to the clock.

When I first got my M3, I think I initially felt a little how you did. Still not a fan of the higher seating position, but learned to deal with it for now.

The first couple months I had it were primarily spent commuting through traffic, which is really not where the car shines. By month 3, I finished all the maintenance, coded some features, and got the Alpine GTS software for the DCT and updated mdm and 240E engine software, along with the oem exhaust mod (2pipe).

After that, I started driving the car more aggressively, more often on twistier roads and everything changed. Nothing else I’ve driven feels as raw or adjustable on the limit as this car. It can hang the back out and stay there for days, but still has a huge amount of grip when driven more smoothly. That said, it can be tough to take advantage of all this. You have to take the time and drive it harder and more often to really get to know it.

Over the last few months, I swapped to a more aggressive tire in 255/275, added 12/10mm spacers, added an Eisenmann race muffler, evolve test pipes, and evolve tune. The car has more drivability and a TON more midrange grunt IMO. It feels a lot more eager to get going and sounds incredible when you wind it up.

I try to hit a mountain road at least once a week (not difficult in SoCal) and recently did a track day at Willow springs. On the track, even with stick zcp suspension, the car was a beast. Pretty much the only thing out of reach were fully stripped out race cars. I was easily outrunning the several 997s, a cayman, some corvettes, etc. and I think a big part of that goes to the confidence the e9x M3 gives at the limit.

Not sure if that helps, as others have mentioned it’s a very personal thing. You either love it or hate it. At the very least, try the test pipes and tune route and give yourself more time driving the car harder before you decide. This really isn’t a car meant for or happy while sitting in traffic. It needs to stretch its legs. I can’t think of another car at its price point that I would rather have.

Good luck!
      04-03-2019, 01:54 PM   #75
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
Quote:
I've invested into it by doing the Rod bearings and misc maintenance things my buddies tell me to keep it. I'm not sure yet
Like every car I've owned, it's taken me some time to warm to it. The M3 was no different, particularly since I was expecting the M3 to feel more like the C63 I was casually shopping when I picked up the BMW.

Having said that, if your friends like the car so much, sell it to them. There absolutely no point in keeping a car, much less spending money on mods or maintenance on something you don't love. Nothing short of a supercharger is going to change the car in an appreciable way. You're just wasting money if you keep throwing money at a car you don't really like. Mod something that you really like but want to make a little better. Spend less time reading about how to "improve" the car and more time driving it. There are plenty of nice back road in north jersey--spend a morning exploring those roads.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 04:34 PM   #76
Tellmee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP AW/FR

From my experience, people who expected fast car out of the box got disappointed. Those are the people who expects turbo car experience where you press accelerator and car rockets forward with abundant torque. And also those people do not really push the car to the limit. This is the car that is more suited for people who are more experienced with high rev engine cars. This car has completely different character when you rev it out to the red line to enjoy the experience.

2011 E90 M3 ZCP AW / FR (Current and will stay)
Appreciate 1
wfdeacon881105.00
      04-03-2019, 07:20 PM   #77
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellmee View Post
From my experience, people who expected fast car out of the box got disappointed. Those are the people who expects turbo car experience where you press accelerator and car rockets forward with abundant torque. And also those people do not really push the car to the limit. This is the car that is more suited for people who are more experienced with high rev engine cars. This car has completely different character when you rev it out to the red line to enjoy the experience.
It is certainly the way you describe it.. the manic build in power all the way to redline is such a unique feeling and it's taken me some time to appreciate how crazy it is compared to other similar class cars..
Appreciate 1
cjm41752.50
      04-09-2019, 07:58 PM   #78
lenrok
Private First Class
Rep

So I've spent more time behind the wheel in the last 2 weeks. I feel the potential. It's "beefy" raw power for sure. I'd be interested to drive one with test pipes and a tune to see what the difference is.

Honestly I don't want to go crazy spending a ton of money on it. I just recently did the trans/rear diff flush, installed new tie rods and f/r spacers.

It needs a heavy decon and paint correction.

However I gotta say the more I see F80 M's on the road I appreciate that body style and interior much more. They are still above my budget . The E9X's are still a lot of bang for your buck. They are starting to feel a bit dated though. I guess I still have mixed reviews. We'll see how ownership continues to go.
Appreciate 0