BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

11-30-2015, 03:02 AM   #1
DKX4///M
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M CS

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M CS  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
How to: Add a SUB to your OEM CiC without the usual loss of sound quality :)

So I needed more BASS, but obviously didn't want to deal with the loss of functionality or any issues that may be associated with adding an aftermarket head units...Typical Line output converters usually produce a horrid output bc of the loss of information that comes with lowering the power from a speaker out to a "pre-amp" output.

While I've run dozens of audio setups on my own cars and installed hundreds, this has never been an issue because, of course BMW, Benz, for the most part (although getting more common) where the head unit is so integrated with the cars electrical system, aside from the physical installation issues.

So I did some research and settled on the right parts and I could not be more pleased....

1. (1) Alpine Type-R Sub-woofer (Always my favorite, with the Kicker CVX being a close 2nd)

2. (1)Pioneer 2400 Watt Class D Mono (1ohm stable) Champion Series Amplifier (800RMS @ 2 ohms)

3. 1.5 cu/ft Ported Enclosure (I went a little crazy and ironed on some BMW/ ///M3 Patches on to make it look OEM

4. A lbs or 2 of polyfill stuffing (to fill the enclosure)

5. 4AWG Copper Power/Ground Cables, Gold Plated Terminals, and a 2.0 Farad Capacitor

***Now the most important***

6. Audio Control LC2i Line Output Converter/ Line Driver. (Purchased Optional Remote also)

7. Hifonics BX1.0Pro Bass Enhancer w/ Remote

Ran the system with a cheap LOC first, and while loud, the bass sounded BAD. Was going to purchase one of the OEM integrated head units for some decent sub pre amp outputs when I found the Audio Control Products...

When I switched, HOLY SHIATE. Sounds as good as $1000 Alpine Head unit...Also ups the voltage and force feeds the power supply, so I could run the amp on the lowest possible gain setting.

The sub is still breaking in and sounding better every day, But I just wanted to share with the community for any of those looking for a solution to adding major power without losing functionality of the stock deck.

For now the one sub smashes extra-ordinarily hard and remains balanced with the OEM sound system... But I plan on upgrading to Audio Controls 6 Channel Version of the same unit and swapping all component speakers/tweeters, unseat subs and a 6 channel 600w amp.
Attached Images