BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

07-15-2018, 09:33 PM   #23
SkinnedKnuckles
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOF-M3 View Post
Yes. And congrats on your car. Best feel good story of 2018 on M3post. You purchase an oil kit. Three months later yo used ready for another oil change. You go to your "account" and order a new oil change kit. Once you receive it, you change the oil. Fill the oil containers they just sent you with the old oil, take the old filter and two O rings, package it all up, fill out some paperwork and drop that in the box and send it back to them USPS shipping for $19. You also go online to their website and fill a return form. Or maybe just the paper one. I can't recall, but once they receive the old kit they will credit your account, meaning CC back the $142. That's it. Rinse, wash and repeat when ready for the next oil change. Now, I don't even add a quart anymore because I'm changing at 3k miles. If the light does come on I might throw a tiny bit of oil in, order my kit which will take a few days if you add additional $10 shipping. If not it's free shipping to you and takes a little over a week. My last batch was ordered Monday and came in Thursday. Easy Peasy.

FCP Euro https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1514102
Yes, I've just discovered these guys! Great deal they have going there. I have no affiliation whatsoever, just a happy customer.
IMO, stick with OE filter, even from the dealer if need be, otherwise from anywhere that sells the genuine part. Too cheap to risk anything of lower quality.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 04:39 PM   #24
vincE92M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

Garage List
'11 E92 M3  [0.00]
Get your oil from FCP Euro and send it back with each change.
      08-05-2018, 10:38 AM   #25
Tewie
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 ZCP Melbourne/FoxRed

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by codinge90 View Post
Buy liqui moly 10w60 5 quart jugs. They are about $45 so you save a lot over buying individual Castrol quarts. You can also buy packs of castrol 10w60 quarts on amazon. They come out to like $10 a quart I believe if you buy 10 quarts. Do some searching around and you'll save money
Buy your oil from FCP Euro. You buy the oil one time and it is free each time after. Fcp Euro oil kit is $142. Pay once and never pay again. I know it sounds too good to be true, look for the thread in the general section. Also Moly is very loud, definitely not a fan of moly.
That is crazy! Will be buying all my parts/fluids from them if this is true
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34448.50
      08-05-2018, 01:21 PM   #26
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tewie View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by codinge90 View Post
Buy liqui moly 10w60 5 quart jugs. They are about $45 so you save a lot over buying individual Castrol quarts. You can also buy packs of castrol 10w60 quarts on amazon. They come out to like $10 a quart I believe if you buy 10 quarts. Do some searching around and you'll save money
Buy your oil from FCP Euro. You buy the oil one time and it is free each time after. Fcp Euro oil kit is $142. Pay once and never pay again. I know it sounds too good to be true, look for the thread in the general section. Also Moly is very loud, definitely not a fan of moly.
That is crazy! Will be buying all my parts/fluids from them if this is true
Not to mention, FCP Euro is now a sponsor of the Tail run. My above post was way before they had been. As a customer and fan boy of them I am very happy they are on board.

2nd Annual Tail of the Dragon run 2018 https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1493889
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 05:20 PM   #27
Tewie
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 ZCP Melbourne/FoxRed

Quote:
Not to mention, FCP Euro is now a sponsor of the Tail run. My above post was way before they had been. As a customer and fan boy of them I am very happy they are on board.

2nd Annual Tail of the Dragon run 2018 https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1493889
Sounds fun! Too bad that's probably close to 2,000 miles and several speeding tickets away from me
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 12:55 AM   #28
kimiraikkonen
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerkyboy View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I perform all the maintenance on our cars and had an Audi years ago so I'm familiar with parts being expensive, but when possible I try to lessen repair expenses, without sacrificing on quality. My current ride is a '16 V, which I love...had a '10 and '05 V too, which I also loved. I also have a 63 Nova SS convertible with an LS3, and have owned lots of muscle cars in the past. Keep an eye out for more whining in the near future
Pardon my ignorance...but just curious, what's a "V" car?.............Corvette? VW?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 09:43 AM   #29
BayE30
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimiraikkonen View Post
Pardon my ignorance...but just curious, what's a "V" car?.............Corvette? VW?
Probably Cadillac CTS-V.
      08-23-2018, 11:15 AM   #30
MSteve5036
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08/99 M3s

Quote:
You LITRILLY just changed my life
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34448.50
      08-23-2018, 11:52 AM   #31
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSteve5036 View Post
Quote:
You LITRILLY just changed my life
I know Steve, it's what i do, changing lives one post at a time. I'm proud of you young man, now go out there and grab life by its horns.
Appreciate 2
shmad111.50
PACarGuy646.00
      08-29-2018, 08:50 PM   #32
nyc_dude
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 //M3 e90 Interlagos Blue

Garage List
For my friend in NY.

Once your BMW e9x M3 is out of warranty and maintenance, stop taking it to the BMW dealership. Find a good Indy BMW Shop locally. Since you work on your own cars like the good ole days, you can do most routine maintenance yourself and save a ton of $$$$. Your M3 isn't a Ferrari.

For oil changes, Liquid Moly 10w60 GT-1 (8.8L) is the way to go. It is sold in 5L jugs, so two will do the trick. The M3 S65 V-8 burns oil, so it is good to keep a 1L bottle in the trunk. Since you will have 1L left over after buying 10L, have a 1L empty bottle around for the trunk. When you get the low oil warning, that is the time to add 1L. There is no dip stick. The oil level indicator doesn't show you the status or level of all 9L of oil, just when the yellow or red oil low warning appears (down 1L or more).

For oil filters, get a Mann or Mahle filter kit. It comes with the filter element, 2 copper washers (2 drain plugs in a S65), and two O-rings. You need an oil filter wrench for the top mount oil filter. I would get spare oil drain plugs for $2 each online. Every couple of oil changes replace the drain plugs. Aluminum oil pans suck, so if you strip the threads, a new oil pan repair is expensive.

Check youtube on how to reset the oil service intervals with the BC Controller and Trip Odometer button. Everyone recommends not waiting til 15k miles. I would change it at 5k to 7.5k. Since the oil is so cheap and it is a DIY, pays to baby the engine. There are rod bearing issues with the S65 V-8 after 100k+ miles. Try Liquid Moly's Ceratec oil additive. Maybe just for the cold winters. Liquid Moly has additives to stop oil burning in M3s.

I would recommend you get a code reader like Carly. Works with a Wifi Plug and an App on an iPad. <$100. It will save you some headaches.

For the air filter and the cabin air filters you can get a Mann/Mahle and Corteco item for half the price of the BMW OEM. They are the OE manufactures of the BMW parts.

Unfortunately for brakes, the BMW parts are cheaper than the Zimmerman/Textar OE parts. The BMW Dealership will charge you $4000 for rotors and pads. You can do if for half that price. BMW recommends changing the rotors each time, but the service interval is 70-80k miles.

Spark plugs are a pain to get to. So all service under the intake plenum should be done together. Air cleaner, spark plugs (35k-40k miles), valve cover gaskets (they leak), thermostat, etc. Get NGK (Japanese) Spark Plugs, which are BMW OE. You just have to gap them. Only $8-10 x 8 on Pelican Parts. BMW charges $25-30 each for a spark plug.

BMW Diff fluid is $5-60 for 500 ml and you need 1.5L. So that is $150 just for the fluid.
If you hear any noises in the diff (clicking), maybe do a fluid change. It has anti-friction additives.

Both the oil cap and the gas cap have issues. Look for oil leaks around the oil cap. If you get an emissions warning, it is most likely the gas cap. Retighten. If you get two gas cap warnings on two successive days, it becomes an emissions warning. The issue could be the Fuel Evap system, which is a pain to troubleshoot.

If your car goes into Limp mode don't panic. Read up on Throttle Valve Actuators. It is a DIY. Parts are now $600 each (you need 2) vs. $1000-1400 a few years ago. BMW won't acknowledge the defect. Your car has a 8 yr/80k mile Federal EPA Warranty, beyond the BMW Warranty. They won't tell you that at the BMW dealership.

Most small electrical parts are made by Bosch. So buy those instead of BMW OEM.
Ex. Wiperblades. The whole blade is replaced, not just the rubber insert. I am sure you can get it from Bosch for half price.

Small warning for your family. The e9x M3s have multiple oil coolers in the front facia. Long thin oil cooler in the center and a DCT oil cooler in one of the side vents. If you see something in the road like hard debris, try to avoid it, especially at night. Many an oil cooler have been damaged this way. A small leak caused by rocks is OK to get home. Some bigger oil leaks mean you will get a red oil warning and you should pull over and whip out that extra 1L of oil. I am on my third oil cooler after 180k miles in LA. Same issue with driveways. There is a center plastic skip plate, and two covers left/right (made of felt...almost cardboard) that might get ripped off. That leaves your oil cooler and radiator unprotected.

FCP Euro is in CT and GetBMWParts are in MD (Tischer BMW), so fast shipping. Subscribe to them and ECS Tuning (OH) and Tunermotor Sports (MA) for specials and sales.

See the m3post thread that IDs all the OE equivalents of BMW parts. BMW charged me $60 for a gas cap recently. That was a 100% markup for a $30 part. Krazy stealerships.

There is a youtube video for almost everything you might need to do in order to service your e9x M3.

Enjoy the e9x M3, it is a classic now.
Appreciate 4
jv92red143.00
PACarGuy646.00