BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

BPM

02-26-2018, 11:07 AM   #5325
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantii View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
cota seems to be the new "holy grail" of north american tracks... not too far to make a little vacation road trip to, either.
It's about a 10hr drive for me. Would be sick if all could plan on a date and meet down there for a weekend.
Quote:
cota seems to be the new "holy grail" of north american tracks... not too far to make a little vacation road trip to, either.

I rented an M235ir instead of shipping or driving my M3 out there. It worked out really well. Great experience with two guys on hand to get the car ready for each session. They even latched my seatbelts lol
How much did that cost??
$2800 for a day including Tires, brakes, gas, support, etc. They had rain tires as well as Hoosiers on hand. It made more sense than shipping my car there for $2k to $3k. Plus I got to try the M235ir which was a treat.

Vendor was Motorsports Southwest. Great experience with them. The weather was poor and I missed a session on the day I rented. They threw in a session the following day to make up for it. Nice gesture.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 1
redpriest2147.00
      02-26-2018, 11:09 AM   #5326
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I rented an M235ir instead of shipping or driving my M3 out there. It worked out really well. Great experience with two guys on hand to get the car ready for each session. They even latched my seatbelts lol
thats really cool! what company did this for you? might actually be a really fair deal as opposed to shipping your own car out there.
hell, i'd even consider a miata or something.
See my previous post. I could have chosen an e36 m3 race car for $1k less. They also had Wolf's for $1k more iirc.

Plus $600 for optional track insurance for the weekend.

Not cheap but it isn't cheap to run my e92 either. I estimate it's close to $1k per day when I drive to CVR. Including the 800 miles put on the car, gas, tires, brakes, fluids, track fees, etc. plus there's the value effects of the miles.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M

Last edited by slicer; 02-26-2018 at 01:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 11:14 AM   #5327
slicer
Major General
Rep

Pics of the car -
Attached Images

INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 6
inTgr8r2431.50
Mantii314.50
roastbeef11586.00
chamba002238.50
admranger2984.50
      02-26-2018, 01:13 PM   #5328
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
$2800 for a day including Tires, brakes, gas, support, etc. They had rain tires as well as Hoosiers on hand. It made more sense than shipping my car there for $2k to $3k. Plus I got to try the M235ir which was a treat.

Vendor was Motorsports Southwest. Great experience with them. The weather was poor and I missed a session on the day I rented. They threw in a session the following day to make up for it. Nice gesture.
It makes sense since most would ship their own car anyways. I estimated around 4500 for the weekend including flying, hotel, and a shit ton of eats. lol....
      02-26-2018, 01:18 PM   #5329
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
It makes sense since most would ship their own car anyways. I estimated around 4500 for the weekend including flying, hotel, and a shit ton of eats. lol....
You are not far off - depending on shipping cost. I was fortunate to have friend that hooked me up with track entry. All I had to was get myself and a car there. It was a fantastic experience. The only problem was the weather. I only got one dry session on my rental day - with another dry bonus session day two.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 02:40 PM   #5330
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:

Super cool you got to try the 235iR

Raced against some of these in Atlanta a couple weekends ago, they're fast
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 03:56 PM   #5331
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Who's going to be the first moron on here to try RAcingBrake's CCM kit for our cars? Save 54lb over stock! Never change a rotor again! Buy rings from the local Chevy dealer like a boss!

http://www.racingbrake.com/RB-Calipe...ccb-bmw-04.htm
      02-26-2018, 05:28 PM   #5332
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
Who's going to be the first moron on here to try RAcingBrake's CCM kit for our cars? Save 54lb over stock! Never change a rotor again! Buy rings from the local Chevy dealer like a boss!

I've read some... interesting things about their kits on other forums.
      02-26-2018, 08:16 PM   #5333
Mantii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3/E46 M3

Quote:
Quote:

I've read some... interesting things about their kits on other forums.
Haha what the heck, this made out of plastic or what?

Updating a few things on the interior. Sold the Recaros and waiting for my Cobra seats to arrive. Motorsports wheel with paddleshift kit should be coming from Europe hopefully soon. Keep you guys updated on that.
Also the Hard Motorsport Door Panels with the RS Door Pulls. What a pain in the ass to get these installed. Almost sent them back.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-26-2018, 08:18 PM   #5334
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

lol what was a pain with them? how much weight savings? they at least look good!
      02-26-2018, 08:37 PM   #5335
Mantii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
lol what was a pain with them? how much weight savings? they at least look good!
They weigh less than 3lbs each. The factory panels weight probably more than 15lbs each with the airbags etc. Definitely looks good and significant weight savings.

The problem is the mounting holes don't line up properly. You literally have to wrestle with the damn thing and beat it into place. I know others have had problems with Hard Motorsport stuff fitting properly.
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11586.00
      02-26-2018, 08:40 PM   #5336
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

That sucks. I know "race parts" tends to be an excuse for shit fitiment, but I don't think it should be that way. Doesn't need to be.
      02-26-2018, 08:46 PM   #5337
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:

02-26-2018, 08:52 PM   #5338
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

picked up some volks for the track so i can slap on my apex bronze bling8s for the street. these bend once per day so they have been demoted to street duty ... at least hondas will start to race me on the streets now

need major detailing plus a respray car looks like fucking shit.
Attached Images

02-26-2018, 10:08 PM   #5339
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...ure-track.html
      02-26-2018, 10:19 PM   #5340
Mantii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...ure-track.html
Damn! That is some scary stuff. For that price, you'd think you are getting space technology and no chance of failure. Is this common for this kit? Probably not many running this since it's so damn expensive. Thanks for sharing, but yeah, no thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 10:25 PM   #5341
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

yea, i was asking about weights in their thread out of curiosity and someone was kind enough to send me that link. i read through that thread and found that when the guy reached out to racing brakes, they emailed him back the response that they weren't for track use. uuh, company name is RACING BRAKES! lol

they probably use chinese pot metal for their hats. my essex aluminum hats are a nice purple from the heat, but when i swapped rings and cleaned them, zero wear in the holes. i imagine they should be replaced after a period of time, but it definitely isn't every time you change the rings.
i was also kinda curious as to why the hardware needed to be replaced, but i just did it and didn't challenge that practice. when i replaced the rings, i found that the nuts and bolts get kinda crusty from the heat and brake dust they are exposed to, and would probably hit the torque spec rating before they are fully tightened because of the extra crud in the threads. made sense once i did it.

Last edited by roastbeef; 02-26-2018 at 10:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 05:50 AM   #5342
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Quote:
Damn! That is some scary stuff. For that price, you'd think you are getting space technology and no chance of failure. Is this common for this kit? Probably not many running this since it's so damn expensive. Thanks for sharing, but yeah, no thanks.
That failure was not with a CCM kit.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 07:37 AM   #5343
CorruptCommie
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d

Quote:

Updating a few things on the interior. Sold the Recaros and waiting for my Cobra seats to arrive. Motorsports wheel with paddleshift kit should be coming from Europe hopefully soon. Keep you guys updated on that.
Also the Hard Motorsport Door Panels with the RS Door Pulls. What a pain in the ass to get these installed. Almost sent them back.
Are the door cards that shiny in person, or is it just the pictures? I'm having second thoughts about getting these now.
      02-27-2018, 08:18 AM   #5344
Mantii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorruptCommie View Post
Quote:

Are the door cards that shiny in person, or is it just the pictures? I'm having second thoughts about getting these now.
They are not matte in color, it's more of a shiny plastic type material. It's really not bad looking at all. I'll take a couple of pics from the inside, hopefully it gives a more accurate depiction.

There is also these- I inquired about them, but very pricey and don't feel like spending that kinda of money on door cards. One is a direct replacement for the e46, the other is a universal one. They also have direct replacements for the e9x series as well.

The other thing they have is a CF rear deck to make it a lot prettier lol. Would be nice to pair it with the CF door panels.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 09:48 AM   #5345
CorruptCommie
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d

Quote:
They are not matte in color, it's more of a shiny plastic type material. It's really not bad looking at all. I'll take a couple of pics from the inside, hopefully it gives a more accurate depiction.

There is also these- I inquired about them, but very pricey and don't feel like spending that kinda of money on door cards. One is a direct replacement for the e46, the other is a universal one. They also have direct replacements for the e9x series as well.

The other thing they have is a CF rear deck to make it a lot prettier lol. Would be nice to pair it with the CF door panels.
Thanks Mantii, that will help. Do they have something on the driver's side for the mirror switch? Not that I need it, but still. $370 is a lot.
      02-27-2018, 11:39 AM   #5346
NoCarrier
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 ZCP

Garage List
1998 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I know others have had problems with Hard Motorsport stuff fitting properly.
I had problems with fit on all of the Hard Motorsports stuff I got for the e36... sunroof and center console delete panels and airbag delete/killswitch panel. Holes in the wrong places, edges needed to be trimmed. Oh well. They make pretty cool stuff for reasonable prices.
Appreciate 0