BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

03-11-2015, 12:56 AM   #1
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

let's talk about wheel studs!

hey guys, i'm picking up a set of track wheels/tires soon and i'll likely be doing a stud conversion.

i'm not likely going to run spacers. there seem to be different kits that offer different materials, different diameters (thicker studs) and different styles of nuts.

if you have a set of studs, what would you change or do differently if you were ordering again?

these caught my eye, but are they gimmicky?
http://ind-distribution.com/ind/cate...ng-lugnuts-set

how about the weight of some kits? is it possible to save a pound per corner with some kits?

and how about the turner motorsports bullet nose studs with "dry lube" coated threads? not too expensive for some product with some good points in the description.
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/show...30-e36-e46-e9x

thoughts?
      03-11-2015, 01:23 AM   #2
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Not likely to save weight unless go with titanium set which are crazy expensive and even race teams dont use. I like the turner or bimmerworld products. I have sheared other studs in under a year.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 02:43 AM   #3
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

i found a thread on an e28 board where a guy was making titanium wheel studs/bolts. he was selling them and they offered some weight savings (not exactly sure how much), but i wouldn't run a non-torture tested stud. i'm not sure titanium would hold up, either.
      03-11-2015, 04:32 AM   #4
evilspiritM3
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, 2018 F87 M2

Garage List
2018 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD
Not likely to save weight unless go with titanium set which are crazy expensive and even race teams dont use. I like the turner or bimmerworld products. I have sheared other studs in under a year.
This.
      03-11-2015, 07:44 AM   #5
TXmtrhed
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Don't go crazy spending money on these, studs and nuts are replaceable items. You should be replacing them periodically if tracking your car. I've use the BW studs but I think those Turner studs are a new item. I don't remember them having a bull nosed stud in different lengths. Nice.
      03-11-2015, 07:41 PM   #6
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

yea, i'm thinking i like the turner motorsports design.
      03-12-2015, 12:17 PM   #7
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Care to elaborate on which brands you did not like?

To OP,

I've read that Vorschlag makes a good kit. http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info...roducts_id=389
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 12:31 PM   #8
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82 View Post
Care to elaborate on which brands you did not like?

To OP,

I've read that Vorschlag makes a good kit. http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info...roducts_id=389
Not really. I could have been unlucky but I won't use any besides the turner or bimmerworld race at this point. Drilling out broken studs isn't that fun. I changed previously at a yearly interval but now have stretched that to 2 seasons.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 12:53 PM   #9
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Would not recommend Titanium studs, we saw an instance in which all 5 Titanium studs sheered off at a track event a few years ago, sending the wheel straight down the strip:

The broken studs can clearly be seen spit out by the wheel on the ground after sheering. The weight savings is simply not worth the risk involved.

Safety first.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 3
      03-12-2015, 03:51 PM   #10
surlynkid
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
I recommend bullet nose. Make sure of your dimensions before you order and think about if you will run spacers or not. Some shops use the length to mean threaded versus overall versus from face of rotor, so look at dimensional drawings carefully.

The last place I used was track-studs.com
Stoptech 380mm/355mm | PFC08 / Pagid RS-29 | Akrapovic EVO - CF tips | Benvo Tune | MS UDP | AA air filter | MCS 2-way with 700/1000lb springs | Solid bushings and adjustable links | RD front swaybar | Apex EC-7 18x10 square 275/35-18 NT01 | Turner Race Studs | GT4 Brake Cooling | GT4 Power Steering Cooling | Alekshop Oil Cooler | Performance Steering Wheel | | CF Spoiler | Varis System 1 Full CF Diffuser | Extended Paddle Shifters | Schroth Quick Fit Pro | Turner Steering Rack Stops | Vorshlag Camber Plates
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 05:24 PM   #11
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the feedback. I ended up ordering the 75 mm bullet nose studs from turner.
      03-12-2015, 06:31 PM   #12
s14_kev
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, E30 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlynkid View Post
I recommend bullet nose. Make sure of your dimensions before you order and think about if you will run spacers or not. Some shops use the length to mean threaded versus overall versus from face of rotor, so look at dimensional drawings carefully.

The last place I used was track-studs.com
Can you tell me why you recommend bullet nose? I've had both versions (from APEX, the redesigned version found here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1042423) and have gone back to the style with the hex key on the tip. Yes the bullet nose ones are rounded for (negligibly) faster wheel changes and (negligibly) less damage to the wheel if you line it up wrong, and arguably look "better", but is there anything else that you can add to that list to make them worth the pain of installing them?

From my experience, installing the bullet nose studs with the double nut method is much more time consuming and annoying than the hex key versions. Not worth the added "benefits" to me, but that's just my opinion.

I'm not talking down the bullet nose version but am curious if there is something I'm missing...
      03-12-2015, 07:04 PM   #13
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin///mlee View Post
I'm not talking down the bullet nose version but am curious if there is something I'm missing...
Bullet nose doesn't refer to the shape of the tip of the stud. Bullet nose means it's threads are tapered at the beginning making it virtually impossible to cross-thread, even with an impact gun. If you're swapping wheels and tires ALL THE TIME, they're a life-saver and a time-saver. You can have bullet nose style stud AND a hex key on the tip. They are a significant cost in the production process and can easily translate to a more expensive merchandize (because you're adding the bullet on up to 20 studs, the addition of $1.50 in machine cost to bullet the nose of the stud can add $30 to the cost of the whole set).

I think Rogue studs are both bullet AND hex key installed.

Quote:
• 75mm stud length, with 12mm smooth bullet nose
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2015, 07:19 PM   #14
s14_kev
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, E30 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin///mlee View Post
Bullet nose doesn't refer to the shape of the tip of the stud. Bullet nose means it's threads are tapered at the beginning making it virtually impossible to cross-thread, even with an impact gun. If you're swapping wheels and tires ALL THE TIME, they're a life-saver and a time-saver. You can have bullet nose style stud AND a hex key on the tip. They are a significant cost in the production process and can easily translate to a more expensive merchandize (because you're adding the bullet on up to 20 studs, the addition of $1.50 in machine cost to bullet the nose of the stud can add $30 to the cost of the whole set).

I think Rogue studs are both bullet AND hex key installed.

Quote:
75mm stud length, with 12mm smooth bullet nose
Thanks for clarifying. I was referring to round nose vs hex key tip. I agree that the tapered threads are a must and I think most studs on the market for our cars are this style
      03-12-2015, 07:34 PM   #15
surlynkid
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
Kevin,

Order the stud install/removal sockets from Koken. I have the whole set. I will have all 4 corners done while you are still cursing on the first corner. I use bullet nose because my wheels are on and off a LOT. I want them to go on without buggering up threads or wheels. They also allow the lug nut to center better and quicker when installing them. My reasons are primarily track related. But as long as you are buying them, why not just get bullet nose. BTW, a split lock washer between the double nut speeds up that technique.

I will have to check but I don't think my race studs are tapered. They just have a nice long smooth round nose to get the lug nut centered
Stoptech 380mm/355mm | PFC08 / Pagid RS-29 | Akrapovic EVO - CF tips | Benvo Tune | MS UDP | AA air filter | MCS 2-way with 700/1000lb springs | Solid bushings and adjustable links | RD front swaybar | Apex EC-7 18x10 square 275/35-18 NT01 | Turner Race Studs | GT4 Brake Cooling | GT4 Power Steering Cooling | Alekshop Oil Cooler | Performance Steering Wheel | | CF Spoiler | Varis System 1 Full CF Diffuser | Extended Paddle Shifters | Schroth Quick Fit Pro | Turner Steering Rack Stops | Vorshlag Camber Plates
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 08:55 AM   #16
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
The important spec is the stud being a grade 10.9. Bullet nose or hex head...they are mostly the same.

The problem with studs, as I'm finding out here in the north, is keeping the wheel hub clean is more of a challenge. Just like the stud, it is important to keep the contact surfaces clean (back of the wheel, rotor hat face and hub lip) to make sure you keep the wheel vibration free. BMW's procedure specifies this. No stud will last long if there is vibration through the wheel.

I wouldn't necessarily blame wheel studs as the reason for a wheel falling off. More commonly it is the fault of the buffoon who installed your wheel. They didn't seat the wheel correctly.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 11:23 AM   #17
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlynkid View Post
Kevin,

Order the stud install/removal sockets from Koken. I have the whole set. I will have all 4 corners done while you are still cursing on the first corner. I use bullet nose because my wheels are on and off a LOT. I want them to go on without buggering up threads or wheels. They also allow the lug nut to center better and quicker when installing them. My reasons are primarily track related. But as long as you are buying them, why not just get bullet nose. BTW, a split lock washer between the double nut speeds up that technique.

I will have to check but I don't think my race studs are tapered. They just have a nice long smooth round nose to get the lug nut centered
What size thread is the stud or which stud puller from koken is the right one?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 11:47 AM   #18
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976
The important spec is the stud being a grade 10.9. Bullet nose or hex head...they are mostly the same.

The problem with studs, as I'm finding out here in the north, is keeping the wheel hub clean is more of a challenge. Just like the stud, it is important to keep the contact surfaces clean (back of the wheel, rotor hat face and hub lip) to make sure you keep the wheel vibration free. BMW's procedure specifies this. No stud will last long if there is vibration through the wheel.

I wouldn't necessarily blame wheel studs as the reason for a wheel falling off. More commonly it is the fault of the buffoon who installed your wheel. They didn't seat the wheel correctly.
Can you elaborate little bit more about what you mean when you say clean mounting surface? I'm assuming you're talking about snow, salt, or sand for snow conditions?
      03-22-2015, 05:43 PM   #19
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
Can you elaborate little bit more about what you mean when you say clean mounting surface? I'm assuming you're talking about snow, salt, or sand for snow conditions?
Where the wheel mates with the wheel hub. Dirt, debris and stuff...and corrosion too. It needs to be clean. A light coat of anti seize won't hurt. Or wheel bearing grease but that becomes a big mess later on.

If those surfaces are not clean then you significantly reduce the contact area between the wheel and hub which is where the strength is. Not in the wheel studs. It don't take much...just a small piece of debris in the paddock to get in between. IMO, this just as if not more important than properly torqueing your wheels.

I'd bet my $$$ on the wheel not being seated properly in cases where all 5 studs broke off.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 05:48 PM   #20
NELSON.MLGB
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 JB M3

Got my second set from ebay, absolutely no difference from the MS ones I got before, $30 shipped. Marketing = $$$$ .
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 07:36 PM   #21
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

i swapped out my track wheels for my street wheels today for the first time. the studs worked well and made it easy, and the nuts threaded on quite easy.
      03-23-2015, 03:53 PM   #22
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

anyone know if bmw is going to give me a hard time when my front brakes are due? are they going to have to remove the studs to replace the rotors?