BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-07-2021, 09:20 PM   #45
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBO View Post
The ZF is the biggest disappointment in many of the recent M cars, it’s just too refined. That may sound silly, but one of the awesome things about my car (and cars like the F87 M2 and F80 M3) is the DCT that can be decent around town, but raw and violent when called upon. It’s exciting in a way the ZF isn’t.

I haven’t driven the G80, but did spend several days with an M8 Comp past year. Super fast, super comfy, but the gearbox just felt slooooow and refused to downshift high into the rev range.
You are spot on with the ZF8. I have 3k miles on it and I don't like it. Too refined. Just like I don't like the PDK in the Turbo S. Although the Cobb "sequential" tune makes it better. Now, the PDK-S in the GT3 and the DCT in the e92....yummy.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 12:14 AM   #46
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
Since I've been driving my G80 for a few days and baby it during the break in period, I can give some comparisons against the E92.

G80 engine does not sound good. I'm glad the exhaust isn't loud because it would be embarrassing to have people yelling at me over my loud lawnmower.

G80 engine has a slight vibration at idle that you can feel in the chassis. It's smooth at speed like other I6s. Meanwhile, the E92 is the opposite where it's smooth at idle, but has some of the V8 vibrations at speed (my engine mounts are still in great shape).

G80 chassis and suspension is ridiculously stiff but still comfortable over bumps. I have a slight incline in my drive way so I pull in diagonally, but still haven't found the right angle where I don't end up on only three wheels momentarily. E92 doesn't have that problem.

G80 tires are really wide, so tram lining is worse on any road that has grooves in it from heavy trucks.

E92 steering feels heavier with plenty of feedback and that's been my preference. Having to put some effort into steering wheel inputs can feel rewarding. G80 steering is much lighter but you get plenty of feedback through the chassis. The steering and chassis/suspension combined makes the G80 feel half the size it is.

G80 carbon bucket seats are amazing. These seats likely accentuate the previous points. While I like the E92 seats and they've proven to be comfortable on long drives, in comparison they feel like a school bus bench seat.

Less than 1000 miles to go until the break in service is completed and I'm able to get the full G80 experience.

They're very different cars with the only similarity being the badge. Plenty of fun to be had with both, even if they arrive there in different ways.
The engine is great, feels like the power delivery is pretty linear. Almost like an S65 but a lot more power.

Engine sound of course, isn't great. The audio piped in through the speakers is just awful. You can't disable in the inside sound without also disabling the sound control for the exhaust so best go in the quiet mode.

Seating position can be set very low with tons of head room. My seating position in the E92 is at the lowest level and that feels unnaturally high in comparison.

Steering input is great and there are two settings for steering feel; comfort and sport. The sport setting is heavier but not really better. I prefer the comfort setting which is very light.

The ZF8 transmission is the weakest point. It's impressive, very quick, and smooth. However, the smoothness is the drawback it just makes you feel like the shifts should be harsher and clunkier with medium acceleration and heavy braking, similar to the DCT. The ZF8 also likes being in the lowest gear for too long under the braking, but that's a tuning issue. Hopefully they'll fix it at some point because it's software issue.

You can feel the weight of the car the most under braking. I'm not sure if I like the stock brake pad compound. Stopping power is fine and there is less brake dust. It hasn't been on the track so I'm not sure how long the pads will last without overheating.

I have the M359 wheels on the E92 where the small M badge on it points to the tire valve stem. On the G80, the M badge does not point to anything useful.

The G80 build quality is amazing. Not a squeak, creak, or squeal anywhere. The quality of the materials and how vibrant the colors are (my interior is Yas Marina Blue with Yellow) makes it just beautiful. The E92 interior even when new, was "nice enough."
Appreciate 1
m3peat70.50
      06-12-2021, 02:00 PM   #47
ruderegime
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe E92

I'll be purchasing a car in about a year. I don't mind used. My wife is nagging me for comfort in suspension harshness. She gets motion sickness with stiff ride, darting, fast stops, fast take offs. I drive easy with her in the car. It's not her fault that she gets motion sickness. She said that I ruined my only family car when I put stiffer springs due to 400 hp to the wheels, but I didn't lower it.. So that's what I'm shopping for. A special car to me, and a ride compliance for her. She'll be in the car once a week for date night. So far I'm looking at the M340i, F90 M5 base, and I'm hoping that the G80 M3 will have a decent ride for her. I know it's subjective and I don't mind stiffness, but I'm sure she won't like the M3 and I'll probably end up getting a 340i or a base M5. I like smaller cars. I forgot to mention we have a daughter hence the need for four door incase it's a family outing. Basically a fun dad car. Ahh, women.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 04:47 PM   #48
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Got to compromise or you’ll be driving her car when you go somewhere together. My wife finds my 2018 M5 base to be acceptable. She would prefer a non-M 5 series and I would prefer a competition model.

One compromise might be a used Alpina 5 series, if you can find one. I think they took a 550i xdrive and modded it to 600 hp, kept the AWD, but tuned the handling and ride more to comfort than track.

M5 probably won’t weigh a lot more than the forthcoming AWD M3, but it’s definitely bigger. The M5 is a bit numb and without personality compared to the E9x M3. I don’t know whether the M3 will split that difference. I skipped over it because I wanted bigger.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 08:58 PM   #49
ruderegime
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Got to compromise or you'll be driving her car when you go somewhere together. My wife finds my 2018 M5 base to be acceptable. She would prefer a non-M 5 series and I would prefer a competition model.

One compromise might be a used Alpina 5 series, if you can find one. I think they took a 550i xdrive and modded it to 600 hp, kept the AWD, but tuned the handling and ride more to comfort than track.

M5 probably won't weigh a lot more than the forthcoming AWD M3, but it's definitely bigger. The M5 is a bit numb and without personality compared to the E9x M3. I don't know whether the M3 will split that difference. I skipped over it because I wanted bigger.
Awesome post thanks! Alpina 5 is definitely out of my budget, but a used F90 M5 is not. I had a E92 M3 a few years ago, and loved it, but not enough low end torque for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 09:41 AM   #50
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruderegime View Post
I'll be purchasing a car in about a year. I don't mind used. My wife is nagging me for comfort in suspension harshness. She gets motion sickness with stiff ride, darting, fast stops, fast take offs. I drive easy with her in the car. It's not her fault that she gets motion sickness. She said that I ruined my only family car when I put stiffer springs due to 400 hp to the wheels, but I didn't lower it.. So that's what I'm shopping for. A special car to me, and a ride compliance for her. She'll be in the car once a week for date night. So far I'm looking at the M340i, F90 M5 base, and I'm hoping that the G80 M3 will have a decent ride for her. I know it's subjective and I don't mind stiffness, but I'm sure she won't like the M3 and I'll probably end up getting a 340i or a base M5. I like smaller cars. I forgot to mention we have a daughter hence the need for four door incase it's a family outing. Basically a fun dad car. Ahh, women.
I'm not under the impression the m5 is very compliant relative to the g80, but I hear the LCI rides better than the earlier model cars. Be a shame to end up in an m340i just for comfyness one night a week, and you may still get complaints all the same. Seems like people love the ride quality in the Porsche SUVs and the regular 5 series.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 10:48 AM   #51
ruderegime
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:
I'm not under the impression the m5 is very compliant relative to the g80, but I hear the LCI rides better than the earlier model cars. Be a shame to end up in an m340i just for comfyness one night a week, and you may still get complaints all the same. Seems like people love the ride quality in the Porsche SUVs and the regular 5 series.
I think the M5 base is more comfortable than the M5C pre lci. Macan turbo is on the list, but I really don't want another small SUV as I have a Forester XT. I'm also looking used so no lci. What about a giulia quadrifoglio with extended warranty. I read that their comfortable, and M550i is on the list
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 11:17 AM   #52
Shrike360
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3, 2011 Porsche CTT

Quote:
I think the M5 base is more comfortable than the M5C pre lci. Macan turbo is on the list, but I really don't want another small SUV as I have a Forester XT. I'm also looking used so no lci. What about a giulia quadrifoglio with extended warranty. I read that their comfortable, and M550i is on the list
Would also recommend checking out a 958 Cayenne along with the Macan. Macan was far too small to be usable to me, but I'm a large person. I bought my 2011 Turbo in January for $26k (well-maintained, one owner but high mileage). I love the thing nearly as much as my E92. Even though the suspension desperately needs a refresh, it is quite comfortable. It handles shockingly well, I'm pretty sure it would outrun my old E90 335i on a twisty road. The V8s make a nice noise, and the turbo with a tune is pretty damn quick. I honestly find it more fun to drive than the last F80 I test drove, partly because of how ridiculous it is. Just need to fix the thermostat housing connection on the early V8s, and get a car with the transfer case warranty still in place. After that, very solid cars.

Another option to look at is the Alpina B6. Looks like they're going from about $50-70k right now depending on condition. Effectively an AWD, comfort focused M6 gran coupe.
Appreciate 0