BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

03-18-2018, 09:01 PM   #1
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

DIY M Performance Steering Wheel (v2 electronic)

All

As the original DIYs are all gone because of Photobucket's decision to screw everyone people are having issues installing these steering wheels in M3s.

The v2 electronic steering wheel was apparently not designed for the E9X M3, so the instructions you get from BMW are not completely accurate.
The complication comes from where you're supposed to get power from under the driver's footwell

This is how my 6MT steering wheel is wired. This works perfectly, every time. I've been using it for 3 years at the track without a hiccup.

If you follow the BMW instructions and take these pics into account you should be able to get yours to work

A1: green-brown -- gets plugged into a solid red cable on the harness
A2: brown -- gets plugged into brown on the harness

Here is the wiring harness you get with the cables with the A1 and A2 cables labelled

Here's another photo of the same cables

On the driver's side foot well you remove the cover with 3 torx screws and immediately run into this big connector

Notice the wire taps

Appreciate 6
dozaiya236.00
Kash63.00
kyrix1st2356.50
Gto373.00
jdamore432.50
      03-19-2018, 12:51 PM   #2
su_root
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Thanks for the updated pictures.

From all my reading the 'inconsistent shift lights' issue only exists on DCT-equipped models and to date there is no permanent solution so that it works consistently. I've had my V2 installed for about 4 months now. I'm drawing power from the JBE module underneath the passenger footwell.

This solves the memory lost issue but every now and then I lose the shift lights. The only fix is to cut power to the wheel.

Some owners solve this by installing a small SPDT switch to toggle power off/on to the wheel.

Personally I don't need the functionality of the wheel when day to day driving so it rarely bothers me. When I get to the track I pull the ground terminal from the cars battery in the trunk for about 10s then reattach it and all is Ok.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11468.50
      03-19-2018, 12:58 PM   #3
so0fresh
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

i have the dct version of this no issues with mine
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 06:49 PM   #4
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Thanks for posting. Now I kind of want one.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 09:43 PM   #5
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
Thanks for posting. Now I kind of want one.
Best thing since sliced bread
Appreciate 1
Kash63.00
      03-21-2018, 01:55 PM   #6
Kash
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E92 DCT AW/FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by so0fresh View Post
Quote:
Did you install or dealer installed it? How much for installation fee and did you tell the mechanic to wire it in a particular way?
      03-21-2018, 02:48 PM   #7
azndrunk74
Major
Rep
Drives: Frozen Black F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by su_root View Post
Thanks for the updated pictures.

From all my reading the 'inconsistent shift lights' issue only exists on DCT-equipped models and to date there is no permanent solution so that it works consistently. I've had my V2 installed for about 4 months now. I'm drawing power from the JBE module underneath the passenger footwell.

This solves the memory lost issue but every now and then I lose the shift lights. The only fix is to cut power to the wheel.

Some owners solve this by installing a small SPDT switch to toggle power off/on to the wheel.

Personally I don't need the functionality of the wheel when day to day driving so it rarely bothers me. When I get to the track I pull the ground terminal from the cars battery in the trunk for about 10s then reattach it and all is Ok.
i have a small switch under the passenger glovebox and only use it when i want the shift light functionality.

Quote:
your wheel either doesn't retain memory of functions and shift lights work (at default setting), or retains memory and the shift light functionality is intermittent. i'm guessing the former.
2014 Frozen Black F10 M5 | Agency Power HFC Downpipes | Custom Open Flash Stage 2 Tune | KW HAS kit | 3D Design Lip | 3D Design Skirts | 3D Design Spoiler | IND Front & Rear Reflectors | IND M5 Badge | M Performance Steering Wheel | M Performance CF Shift Knob | Pedal Haus Pedals & Paddles | Turner Exhaust |
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 03:47 PM   #8
VikAry
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3

Quote:
i have the dct version of this no issues with mine[/QUOTE]

I went to the dealer yesterday and was told that this part does not work with the DCT version. I don't understand why this car in Australia works but mine doesn't.

I am ready to buy this today but my concern is that it won't work correctly.

Here's the YouTube Video -
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 04:42 PM   #9
azndrunk74
Major
Rep

Quote:
I went to the dealer yesterday and was told that this part does not work with the DCT version. I don't understand why this car in Australia works but mine doesn't.

I am ready to buy this today but my concern is that it won't work correctly.

Here's the YouTube Video -
It wasn't made for DCT but it works. The only issue is the shift lights depending on how you wire it.

2 ways to wire it:
1) via 12v ashtray: wheel won't retain memory of functions and but shift lights work and reset to default setting every start

2) via JBE power: retain memory of functions and the shift light functionality is intermittent (can install a power on/off switch, what I have done to get shift light functionality)
2014 Frozen Black F10 M5 | Agency Power HFC Downpipes | Custom Open Flash Stage 2 Tune | KW HAS kit | 3D Design Lip | 3D Design Skirts | 3D Design Spoiler | IND Front & Rear Reflectors | IND M5 Badge | M Performance Steering Wheel | M Performance CF Shift Knob | Pedal Haus Pedals & Paddles | Turner Exhaust |
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 09:14 AM   #10
VikAry
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by azndrunk74 View Post
It wasn't made for DCT but it works. The only issue is the shift lights depending on how you wire it.

2 ways to wire it:
1) via 12v ashtray: wheel won't retain memory of functions and but shift lights work and reset to default setting every start

2) via JBE power: retain memory of functions and the shift light functionality is intermittent (can install a power on/off switch, what I have done to get shift light functionality)
Thanks, this is helpful. It looks like option #2 is the way to go b/c I'll retain memory functions and the lights will work correctly if I wire it into the existing junction box? If that's is true, then do you mind telling me how you wired it and what type of on/off switch you used?

-Vikas

Last edited by VikAry; 03-28-2018 at 09:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 11:12 AM   #11
azndrunk74
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikAry View Post
Thanks, this is helpful. It looks like option #2 is the way to go b/c I'll retain memory functions and the lights will work correctly if I wire it into the existing junction box? If that's is true, then do you mind telling me how you wired it and what type of on/off switch you used?

-Vikas
i can't recall off the top of my head. it was posted in another V2 steering wheel thread. i got the on/off switch from amazon, it's just a single wire switch.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 09:55 AM   #12
VikAry
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by azndrunk74 View Post
i can't recall off the top of my head. it was posted in another V2 steering wheel thread. i got the on/off switch from amazon, it's just a single wire switch.
Hmm, I would appreciate it if you could point me to that thread or if you can recall what switch you used. My buddy is going to help me install the whole thing and the more information I can give him, the better my chances of this working out.

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 01:53 AM   #13
Nazty Naze One!
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 E92

Has anyone paired this with an awron gauge?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 02:03 PM   #14
EnVe46
Major
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 LeMansBlue

Bumping this up. I just had my V2 installed. The only time the shift lights work now is when Im in the setting screen for it. When I first picked it up fro BMW, it worked after saving the setting. Im assuming my issue is whats discussed here in the thread. So, what should I tell the BMW tech to do exactly?
      08-09-2018, 02:04 PM   #15
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Update: my wheel was connected as described above and it works perfectly, just like the 6MT one.

It doesn't lose memory, etc
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 02:06 PM   #16
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnVe46 View Post
Bumping this up. I just had my V2 installed. The only time the shift lights work now is when Im in the setting screen for it. When I first picked it up fro BMW, it worked after saving the setting. Im assuming my issue is whats discussed here in the thread. So, what should I tell the BMW tech to do exactly?
I wish I could help you but it doesn't work that way for my two wheels

I do have to turn mine on to do anything with the two thumb buttons
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 02:20 PM   #17
EnVe46
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I wish I could help you but it doesn't work that way for my two wheels

I do have to turn mine on to do anything with the two thumb buttons
Yup, mine as well. Every time I start the car it lights up and says M Performance but then I have to hold the buttons to turn it on. If I go to the setting screen for shift lights, they will light up at any RPM. The minute I hold the left button to save, they go away.
      08-10-2018, 10:06 PM   #18
Nazty Naze One!
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 E92

Bump
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 03:32 PM   #19
BMWSpeedFreek
Lt Col. …who can’t wait for his next track day!
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

In for more info!

SF
•'12 E92 M3 Space Grey/M-DCT/ZCP/ZPP/DINAN/ACM Test Pipes/BPM StageII Tune & Coding/M Perf Exhaust, Race seats, Alcantra V2 steering wheel, gloss grills/ModeCarbon GTS wing/GTS DCT Tune, CF int trim, door sills/LUX H8 V3/CSF race oil cooler/Trackspec hood vents/GT4 Rep CF splitter & rotor ducting/Hawk DTC60/KW CS 2way NR/B'world/Hotchkis/Eibach/Apex
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 03:35 PM   #20
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Yup, mine as well. Every time I start the car it lights up and says M Performance but then I have to hold the buttons to turn it on. If I go to the setting screen for shift lights, they will light up at any RPM. The minute I hold the left button to save, they go away.
Yes, this is the normal behavior except that you can't save when the lights start working

Sometimes i think mine don't work but because they're set to flash at 8500. So i have to go way up before they start turning on
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 10:17 PM   #21
EnVe46
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Quote:
Yes, this is the normal behavior except that you can't save when the lights start working

Sometimes i think mine don't work but because they're set to flash at 8500. So i have to go way up before they start turning on
I figured out my issue. I was in the "blue" economy screen, moment I switched to race screen with orange label at the top, shift lights work as they're supposed to. Love this wheel!
SYT_Shadow11468.50
      10-05-2018, 05:51 AM   #22
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
I figured out my issue. I was in the "blue" economy screen, moment I switched to race screen with orange label at the top, shift lights work as they're supposed to. Love this wheel!
Great to hear that!!! Awesome!!!
Appreciate 1
EnVe461037.50