BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
 
View Poll Results: How much should you make to buy a 50-55k Car? 1M for example
around 50k annually 7 7.78%
80k annualy 18 20.00%
100k or more 52 57.78%
Cash cars only 6 6.67%
Shouldn't spend this much on a car 7 7.78%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-25-2015, 09:56 AM   #1
DJKapeesh
First Lieutenant
United_States
147
Rep
342
Posts

Drives: 2007 Z4MC
Join Date: May 2011
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (1)

Question How Much car did you buy?

Hey guys,

let me start by saying this is a project I have been working on a while to put together some sort of reference material for young car enthusiast who are thinking about buying a car.


-I'm asking you to please describe what car you bought?
-What was the price of the car? Monthly payment amount?
-How did you buy the car? (100% Finance or 50/50 Cash finance ect?)
-What is you income and is this car affordable?
-Lastly what do you have in the bank? (Stock, savings, IRA, ect)?

If you wish to provide the information anonymously feel free to do so here: Wordpress BLOG

For my own personal use I would like to know what my finances should be before buying a 1M and how I should go about buying 1?

If you offer your contributions to this I will be using them at a later time to provide a write up for young generation X Y and millennials.

Thanks guy!

Last edited by DJKapeesh; 06-25-2015 at 11:03 AM. Reason: wordpress added
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 10:06 AM   #2
CANGRKE70
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CANGRKE70's Avatar
Canada
675
Rep
147
Posts

Drives: 2012 BMW X5
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

You're asking for a lot of personal information there...want me to turn my head and cough too?
Appreciate 4
      06-25-2015, 10:07 AM   #3
P1et
Major General
P1et's Avatar
United_States
3579
Rep
7,845
Posts

Drives: my wife's cars
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas

iTrader: (1)

Your poll is useless because it leaves out too many unknowns. It's not about what you make; it's about what you already HAVE and what you SAVE each month on top of that.

What are you trying to achieve here? Compare the finances of others in order to make a decision whether you should buy a 1M or not?

You should share YOUR finances with us, and then we can chime in whether it makes sense or not. So, my questions for you:

1) How much is the car you'd like to buy?
2) Is your 135i paid off? How much do you owe on it?
3) How much do you make per month after taxes?
4) How much do you spend a month on bills?
5) What do you have in the bank?
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2015, 10:09 AM   #4
Delta0311
Major General
Delta0311's Avatar
4455
Rep
8,238
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NJ

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Your poll is useless because it leaves out too many unknowns. It's not about what you make; it's about what you already HAVE and what you SAVE each month on top of that.

What are you trying to achieve here? Compare the finances of others in order to make a decision whether you should buy a 1M or not?

You should share YOUR finances with us, and then we can chime in whether it makes sense or not. So, my questions for you:

1) How much is the car you'd like to buy?
2) Is your 135i paid off? How much do you owe on it?
3) How much do you make per month after taxes?
4) How much do you spend a month on bills?
5) What do you have in the bank?
EXCELLENT POINT!!
Who cares if you make $200k a year when your drowning in mortgage payments, alimony, and child support. You have to figure how much you have saved up and how much money you have left over once you pay all your monthly expenses.
__________________
You can detect right away those that are going to be shaky, and that will fall behind and those that are very hungry, and that hunger you will have to develop. You gotta create a goal for yourself whatever that may be, a short term goal and a long term goal and you gotta go after that. And if you donít see it, and if you donít believe it, who else will?
Arnold Schwarzenegger
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 10:10 AM   #5
Wrecker335d
OEF Vet
Wrecker335d's Avatar
United_States
310
Rep
1,311
Posts

Drives: unfiltered diesel
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (4)

I think the poll is enough information. Asking how much someone has in their personal bank account isn't relevant. If you ask "how much should you have in your account on X income" might turn better results.
__________________
Mods: BPC Stage 3, Meth Injection, BDP downpipe, Wagner intercooler, Koni Yellow/Swift Springs, M3 Control Arms/Strut Bar, MB Quartz Kit/Alpine Amp
Best 1/4mi: 12.24s @ 113.88Mi/h
Dyno: 350whp
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 10:11 AM   #6
Lups
...
Lups's Avatar
10068
Rep
14,368
Posts

Drives: I don't own a car.
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Lost as usual

iTrader: (0)

LOL.

Yeah, and housewives needs options too.

did you tell your hubby what you bought?
Did you pay cash to avoid explaining what you bought?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
You're still a little new here, so I'll let you in on a little secret. Whenever Lups types gibberish, this is an opportunity for you to imagine it to be whatever you'd like it to be.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 10:15 AM   #7
MightyMouseTech
Brigadier General
MightyMouseTech's Avatar
2903
Rep
4,865
Posts

Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ottawa, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Annual salary has nothing to do with it.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 10:17 AM   #8
P1et
Major General
P1et's Avatar
United_States
3579
Rep
7,845
Posts

Drives: my wife's cars
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecker335d View Post
I think the poll is enough information. Asking how much someone has in their personal bank account isn't relevant. If you ask "how much should you have in your account on X income" might turn better results.


Actually, asking how much someone has in their bank account when they're going to be buying something is *the* most relevant thing.
Appreciate 2
      06-25-2015, 10:31 AM   #9
Nkc
NOOB
Nkc's Avatar
1003
Rep
1,220
Posts

Drives: Cars
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Vancouver/Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

So much to learn kid.
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2015, 10:38 AM   #10
gtron
powerhouse
gtron's Avatar
United_States
634
Rep
1,629
Posts

Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKapeesh View Post
Hey guys,

let me start by saying this is a project I have been working on a while to put together some sort of reference material for young car enthusiast who are thinking about buying a car.


-I'm asking you to please describe what car you bought?
-What was the price of the car? Monthly payment amount?
-How did you buy the car? (100% Finance or 50/50 Cash finance ect?)
-What is you income and is this car affordable?
-Lastly what do you have in the bank? (Stock, savings, IRA, ect)?


For my own personal use I would like to know what my finances should be before buying a 1M and how I should go about buying 1?

If you offer your contributions to this I will be using them at a later time to provide a write up for young generation X Y and millennials.

Thanks guy!
i can exchange that information but in return i require your SSN, DOB, and mothers maiden name. PM is fine.
__________________
no signature. except for this one.
Appreciate 3
      06-25-2015, 10:58 AM   #11
DJKapeesh
First Lieutenant
United_States
147
Rep
342
Posts

Drives: 2007 Z4MC
Join Date: May 2011
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (1)

Wow some quick and excellent points being made here! Didn't even have time to do an edit!

OK so here are some thoughts, can't address everyone at once but I will try to address what I can!

Lets start with what I'm asking
Yes this may be a lot of information. If I asked your personal income it would also be a lot of information. Problem is that there is a lack of information available for the young inexperienced with parents who will be working until they DIE.

That being said I am not asking for your social. I'm not asking names and to tell me bank accounts. I just want some general information you can describe it from your past or present or lie about it. You can tell me what your friend did. Any information that I can use will help.

When I use the information you will be anonymous and any information will be disguised by code names and fake information.

ALTERNATIVES
I am editing the main post to include a WORDPRESS Blog which you will be able to create a fake name and response and provide the information anonymously if this is to personal to do on a Blog among BMW owners.

Information
I'm not saying communism is right but among reading and doing a little research it becomes obvious why there are poor, middle, and upper class people. Why women make less than men and why most people will work until they die.
In an article published on Glassdoor they best described how transparency can lead to helping even the playing field.

I hope this helps answer some questions.

Also feel free to provide any information you feel relevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Your poll is useless because it leaves out too many unknowns. It's not about what you make; it's about what you already HAVE and what you SAVE each month on top of that.

What are you trying to achieve here? Compare the finances of others in order to make a decision whether you should buy a 1M or not?

You should share YOUR finances with us, and then we can chime in whether it makes sense or not. So, my questions for you:

1) How much is the car you'd like to buy?
2) Is your 135i paid off? How much do you owe on it?
3) How much do you make per month after taxes?
4) How much do you spend a month on bills?
5) What do you have in the bank?
My personal info is included in the Wordpress Blog.

This is my first year working out of school
I just started making 80+ yearly and have saved 1k in stock and around 5k liquid cash in my first year of working. I just opened my first Roth IRA and plan to put the maximum money in yearly.

Student loan debt = 30k ish but I plan to pay the fixed $231 until I die because f*ck them and I hope they get discharged in the future.
I owe 28k on my car after refinancing and will begin paying 1k monthly for the next 6 months until it is positive equity.

I am being 100% transparent and have nothing to hide. I am only 25 and possible head and shoulders financially better than some of my peers. This information is to help them and me.

Last edited by DJKapeesh; 06-25-2015 at 11:07 AM. Reason: include wordpress and response
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 11:03 AM   #12
Lups
...
Lups's Avatar
10068
Rep
14,368
Posts

Drives: I don't own a car.
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Lost as usual

iTrader: (0)

Dude how about telling us your stats and we tell you if you should buy the car or not.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
You're still a little new here, so I'll let you in on a little secret. Whenever Lups types gibberish, this is an opportunity for you to imagine it to be whatever you'd like it to be.
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2015, 11:05 AM   #13
HoustonRider
big pimpin
United_States
34
Rep
327
Posts

Drives: 2014 M6 GC and 2015 4 GC
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

any finance/loan calculator (how much X can I afford) online will answer this for you.

If you buy a car (any car) and it costs any amount, there about 10 variables just in what it may cost monthly (if you finance); how much down, amount financed, tax rate, loan to income ratio, credit rating, income, time at job, etc.

If you buy it outright, then you know your answer as well.

go down to the BMW store and ask em.
__________________
2014 //M6 GC
2015 750Li
2015 435i GC
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 11:22 AM   #14
DJKapeesh
First Lieutenant
United_States
147
Rep
342
Posts

Drives: 2007 Z4MC
Join Date: May 2011
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Dude how about telling us your stats and we tell you if you should buy the car or not.
I did above in edit
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2015, 11:25 AM   #15
Nkc
NOOB
Nkc's Avatar
1003
Rep
1,220
Posts

Drives: Cars
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Vancouver/Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

And for a second there I thought you were asking about buying a car. You obviously have something else in mind. You are one sneaky kid though, I'll give you that.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 11:26 AM   #16
Delta0311
Major General
Delta0311's Avatar
4455
Rep
8,238
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NJ

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKapeesh View Post
Wow some quick and excellent points being made here! Didn't even have time to do an edit!

OK so here are some thoughts, can't address everyone at once but I will try to address what I can!

Lets start with what I'm asking
Yes this may be a lot of information. If I asked your personal income it would also be a lot of information. Problem is that there is a lack of information available for the young inexperienced with parents who will be working until they DIE.

That being said I am not asking for your social. I'm not asking names and to tell me bank accounts. I just want some general information you can describe it from your past or present or lie about it. You can tell me what your friend did. Any information that I can use will help.

When I use the information you will be anonymous and any information will be disguised by code names and fake information.

ALTERNATIVES
I am editing the main post to include a WORDPRESS Blog which you will be able to create a fake name and response and provide the information anonymously if this is to personal to do on a Blog among BMW owners.

Information
I'm not saying communism is right but among reading and doing a little research it becomes obvious why there are poor, middle, and upper class people. Why women make less than men and why most people will work until they die.
In an article published on Glassdoor they best described how transparency can lead to helping even the playing field.

I hope this helps answer some questions.

Also feel free to provide any information you feel relevant



My personal info is included in the Wordpress Blog.

This is my first year working out of school
I just started making 80+ yearly and have saved 1k in stock and around 5k liquid cash in my first year of working. I just opened my first Roth IRA and plan to put the maximum money in yearly.

Student loan debt = 30k ish but I plan to pay the fixed $231 until I die because f*ck them and I hope they get discharged in the future.
I owe 28k on my car after refinancing and will begin paying 1k monthly for the next 6 months until it is positive equity.

I am being 100% transparent and have nothing to hide. I am only 25 and possible head and shoulders financially better than some of my peers. This information is to help them and me.

Yeah that's awesome but how much can you bench?
__________________
You can detect right away those that are going to be shaky, and that will fall behind and those that are very hungry, and that hunger you will have to develop. You gotta create a goal for yourself whatever that may be, a short term goal and a long term goal and you gotta go after that. And if you donít see it, and if you donít believe it, who else will?
Arnold Schwarzenegger
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 11:31 AM   #17
Revartr
Second Lieutenant
Revartr's Avatar
United_States
63
Rep
295
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW M4
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Cleveland, TN

iTrader: (0)

I mean, it really depends on what your current financial situation is, what your expenditures are, monthly bills/debt, "cushion" saved up, how you plan on financing or purchasing the vehicle, etc. I make nowhere near as much as some members on here, but I financed a near fully-loaded M4 towards the end of last year. But at the same time, I had a fairly sizable down payment saved up to put down, plenty of "cushion" saved up in the bank and elsewhere, and my monthly bills and expenditures are fairly low, allowing me a good bit left over.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 11:31 AM   #18
Kwando
Major
Kwando's Avatar
Canada
356
Rep
1,363
Posts

Drives: 2018 340i xDrive
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKapeesh View Post
Student loan debt = 30k ish but I plan to pay the fixed $231 until I die because f*ck them and I hope they get discharged in the future.
wut lol. I think I've read everything I need in here.

Appreciate 1
      06-25-2015, 11:35 AM   #19
DJKapeesh
First Lieutenant
United_States
147
Rep
342
Posts

Drives: 2007 Z4MC
Join Date: May 2011
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revartr View Post
I mean, it really depends on what your current financial situation is, what your expenditures are, monthly bills/debt, "cushion" saved up, how you plan on financing or purchasing the vehicle, etc. I make nowhere near as much as some members on here, but I financed a near fully-loaded M4 towards the end of last year. But at the same time, I had a fairly sizable down payment saved up to put down, plenty of "cushion" saved up in the bank and elsewhere, and my monthly bills and expenditures are fairly low, allowing me a good bit left over.
The funny part is you are in the generation I'm speaking of. Interesting
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 11:42 AM   #20
Bye_DC5
Banned
51
Rep
0
Posts

Drives: Big Red & Baby Black
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Baconification Peninsula

iTrader: (0)

- The vehicle in question is my base model 128i in fabulous sedona red with ebony interior (as I like my women).
- Price of my 128i was $39,999 + tax + registration + HJ to the salesman (under the table of course).
- How did I buy the car? I walked into the nearest Bavarian Motor Works dealership.
- I currently make about $500k (pre-tax), the car is pretty affordable, but the $80 oil changes are nonsense.
- In the bank, I'm sitting on about $50k cash. $20k in gold. $50k in stock. Maxed out IRA.
- Credit card number is 7564 2859 1834 1038, It is a Master Card, Security key is 696
- Social Security Number is 309-34-8394
- My mothers maiden name is Clinton

That should be sufficient for you to make your spreadsheet. Please email it to me when you get it done.
Appreciate 5
      06-25-2015, 11:44 AM   #21
Revartr
Second Lieutenant
Revartr's Avatar
United_States
63
Rep
295
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW M4
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Cleveland, TN

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKapeesh View Post
The funny part is you are in the generation I'm speaking of. Interesting
I didn't bother to read much of the bulk above, my response was strictly to the title question, haha. I would say that in my situation, my car is affordable. And no, mommy and daddy aren't paying for it.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 11:50 AM   #22
Whostheboss
Captain
Whostheboss's Avatar
355
Rep
843
Posts

Drives: a 9incher
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: No. Virginia U.S.A.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKapeesh View Post
Wow some quick and excellent points being made here! Didn't even have time to do an edit!

OK so here are some thoughts, can't address everyone at once but I will try to address what I can!

Lets start with what I'm asking
Yes this may be a lot of information. If I asked your personal income it would also be a lot of information. Problem is that there is a lack of information available for the young inexperienced with parents who will be working until they DIE.

That being said I am not asking for your social. I'm not asking names and to tell me bank accounts. I just want some general information you can describe it from your past or present or lie about it. You can tell me what your friend did. Any information that I can use will help.

When I use the information you will be anonymous and any information will be disguised by code names and fake information.

ALTERNATIVES
I am editing the main post to include a WORDPRESS Blog which you will be able to create a fake name and response and provide the information anonymously if this is to personal to do on a Blog among BMW owners.

Information
I'm not saying communism is right but among reading and doing a little research it becomes obvious why there are poor, middle, and upper class people. Why women make less than men and why most people will work until they die.
In an article published on Glassdoor they best described how transparency can lead to helping even the playing field.

I hope this helps answer some questions.

Also feel free to provide any information you feel relevant



My personal info is included in the Wordpress Blog.

This is my first year working out of school
I just started making 80+ yearly and have saved 1k in stock and around 5k liquid cash in my first year of working. I just opened my first Roth IRA and plan to put the maximum money in yearly.

Student loan debt = 30k ish but I plan to pay the fixed $231 until I die because f*ck them and I hope they get discharged in the future.
I owe 28k on my car after refinancing and will begin paying 1k monthly for the next 6 months until it is positive equity.

I am being 100% transparent and have nothing to hide. I am only 25 and possible head and shoulders financially better than some of my peers. This information is to help them and me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
Yeah that's awesome but how much can you bench?
Does he even lift?
__________________
WHO'S THE BOSS
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
finance

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:13 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST