BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

03-18-2018, 07:39 AM   #5501
Samo6556
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW M3

Got the chance to install a couple things yesterday. I swapped out the ohlins for the moton clubsports and installed fall line motorsports toe arms.

For the front canisters I have them stuffed in the drain gutter for now and wrapped the line going through the engine bay with flame/heat resistant sleeve. Rear I have mounted to the plastic floor under the center trim. I plan to move those on top of the trim or to the sides. I just didn't have as much time as I would have liked to play with different ideas.
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
FMLYSDN1181.50
Mantii314.50
roastbeef11584.50
slicer2737.50
      03-18-2018, 03:16 PM   #5502
ricardofors68
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 F10 M5

Can you really tell the difference with your aero package Samo6556? Not the first e9x M3 with similar recipe, must work at some level...
      03-18-2018, 04:44 PM   #5503
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Does anyone know in detail how the ABS/DSC system works under normal (non-ABS) braking?

Problem - At track, after a few laps in a session, brake pedal goes very soft and pedal travel increases dramatically. Brakes still bite but the pedal is almost at the floor. It is almost identical to very bad brake fluid fade, except for the next part. During the cool down lap of the same session, pedal pressure returns to normal almost immediately. It's unlikely fluid has cooled so rapidly if it is fluid fade. Car is in MDM mode.

Thoughts - Pedal pressure returns when I'm not pushing the engine. I wonder if this pedal pressure could be vacuum related? Or somehow the ABS control unit is leaking pressure somewhere internally? ABS is original from 2009 car, mileage at 110k kms. There are zero errors when this happens. This only happens at track. When I drive hard on road or hill climbs I don't have this issue.

Other details - Brakes are Brembo GT, less than 2 years old. Brake fluid is fresh (less than 3 months) and bled properly by cycling the ABS pump using the diagnostics computer. Brake booster is less than one year old. Brake master cylinder is less than 2 years old. Brake pads are Project Mu HC+ which are known to give very good pedal feel and have plenty of pad left. Steel braided hoses done. Ti brake shims done.

Anyone have any clues what could be cause? Could an internal ABS pump leak cause this symptom? Or might it be vacuum related? Someone has suggested I try to manually activate the ABS a few times to see if it clears out any air bubbles in the system.

Wanted to get some insight before I try to replace the ABS pump which is super expensive.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 07:18 PM   #5504
warp10
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Jet Black:ZCP, ZCV, ZP

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2011 28i X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Does anyone know in detail how the ABS/DSC system works under normal (non-ABS) braking?

Problem - At track, after a few laps in a session, brake pedal goes very soft and pedal travel increases dramatically. Brakes still bite but the pedal is almost at the floor. It is almost identical to very bad brake fluid fade, except for the next part. During the cool down lap of the same session, pedal pressure returns to normal almost immediately. It's unlikely fluid has cooled so rapidly if it is fluid fade. Car is in MDM mode.

Thoughts - Pedal pressure returns when I'm not pushing the engine. I wonder if this pedal pressure could be vacuum related? Or somehow the ABS control unit is leaking pressure somewhere internally? ABS is original from 2009 car, mileage at 110k kms. There are zero errors when this happens. This only happens at track. When I drive hard on road or hill climbs I don't have this issue.

Other details - Brakes are Brembo GT, less than 2 years old. Brake fluid is fresh (less than 3 months) and bled properly by cycling the ABS pump using the diagnostics computer. Brake booster is less than one year old. Brake master cylinder is less than 2 years old. Brake pads are Project Mu HC+ which are known to give very good pedal feel and have plenty of pad left. Steel braided hoses done. Ti brake shims done.

Anyone have any clues what could be cause? Could an internal ABS pump leak cause this symptom? Or might it be vacuum related? Someone has suggested I try to manually activate the ABS a few times to see if it clears out any air bubbles in the system.

Wanted to get some insight before I try to replace the ABS pump which is super expensive.
Sounds like air in the system. I would try to bleed it again. Or do a hot bleed. Basically get everything up to temp and then bleed. This should force the bubbles out. Hope that solves the problem.
      03-18-2018, 09:11 PM   #5505
Samo6556
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardofors68 View Post
Can you really tell the difference with your aero package Samo6556? Not the first e9x M3 with similar recipe, must work at some level...
Actually bought the car with the aero,so not sure on the feel. I am going to be running April 28th for my first track day in the e92, so I'm excited to feel the difference.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 08:22 AM   #5506
ricardofors68
Lieutenant
Rep

Cool then. Running mine with very little aero support, hoping to find out if I can tell if I need some, going to my 1st track event this weekend.
      03-19-2018, 08:57 AM   #5507
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

How will you tell that. If you go fast enough aero will help. If you can't go fast enough for aero to help you need more power or balls.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 10:14 AM   #5508
Mantii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3/E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by warp10 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantii View Post
My new paddleshift setup is finally finished. Been waiting for this piece for a couple of months. Timon at KMP has created a custom solution for me for the e46, which is similar to the Porsche and BMW OEM Wheel setups they have. Should be here next week.
Love my E92 setup from them. Very sturdy and proper Motorsport
Just got it in the mail. You are absolutely right- what a piece of kit. Looks and feels Motorsport, if that makes any sense. Can't recommend enough for any of you DCT/SMG guys.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
slicer2737.50
warp10776.00
      03-19-2018, 12:31 PM   #5509
Samo6556
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardofors68 View Post
Cool then. Running mine with very little aero support, hoping to find out if I can tell if I need some, going to my 1st track event this weekend.
If it's your first ever track event I would not worry about aero for a while. In my opinion there is a lot to be learned before you could take advantage of the aero.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 01:27 PM   #5510
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post

A few questions for you that may help. What type of brake fluid are you running? Also, do the tires you are using have the pressure sensors in them?

Two approaches here, first with the premise that it is fluid related, and I agree with Warp10, do another flush, preferably with a Motive style flush kit, and preferably with Castrol SRF fluid. After several soft pedal experiences on track with lesser fluids I strictly use SRF now.

Then it may also have something to do with MDM as I had a similar experience. Try turning traction control off temporarily and see if that solves it, for me it was the solution but if you don't like to drive with it off there may be a few reasons it is intervening too much. One theory I have is that if you have the tire pressure sensor warning indicated MDM and traction control will intervene more than usual, just a theory. I pulled my TPMS module and coded off TPMS, that's another solution, just did it bc I don't like seeing the warning light but that could help you if that's the issue you are encountering.

Hope one of these things sorts it for you and that it isn't a bigger issue! Let us know.
      03-19-2018, 01:56 PM   #5511
GeorgeA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Here is mine at streets of willow!

Untitled by George A, on Flickr
Appreciate 4
roastbeef11584.50
Samo6556130.50
chamba002238.50
redpriest2145.50
      03-19-2018, 04:26 PM   #5512
andrewmega
wwwwwwwww
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Had a track day this past weekend at The Ridge, unfortunately had to leave a bit early but still had a lot of seat time.

I noticed after each session I had some fluid dripping from right behind the passenger rear wheel. It would drip for 5 minutes or so and then stop, evaporating away a few minutes after that. Has anyone else seen this? I don't recall it happening any previous time I took the car to the track.

Didn't really have any smell and it wasn't oily. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think there's anything under the bumper cover that would leak fluid.

My guess is maybe water from rain a couple days ago coming out because of the heat or lateral force on track? Mixing with dirt or dried detailing compound that I used a couple weeks back for the milky color. Everything looked good and solid around the wheel well when I swapped wheels at the end of the day.

If anyone's got other ideas, I'd appreciate hearing them. I didn't see it when driving to or from the track, or any day prior on the street. If I see it again, maybe I'll pull the cover off and check.

Other than that, I think the car is feeling great after a day of harder driving! It had a pretty relaxing 5 cold months so I guess it just needed to stretch out. Or could be I'm just imagining things!

Appreciate 1
Samo6556130.50
      03-19-2018, 07:04 PM   #5513
ricardofors68
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samo6556 View Post
If it's your first ever track event I would not worry about aero for a while. In my opinion there is a lot to be learned before you could take advantage of the aero.
My sentiments exactly. Plenty of other things needs to fall into place. Thank you.

Ricardo
      03-19-2018, 07:43 PM   #5514
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Got the chance to install a couple things yesterday. I swapped out the ohlins for the moton clubsports and installed fall line motorsports toe arms.

For the front canisters I have them stuffed in the drain gutter for now and wrapped the line going through the engine bay with flame/heat resistant sleeve. Rear I have mounted to the plastic floor under the center trim. I plan to move those on top of the trim or to the sides. I just didn't have as much time as I would have liked to play with different ideas.
looking really sharp!

one of the ideas i have fantasized about (i don't know if it is ideal, and i haven't seen it done yet), is having the rear canisters routed and perched just behind the center console.
i'm thinking this would be neat because it would allow you to experiment with different turns of the dial "on the fly", or during cool down laps.
i don't have any real experience with this yet, but i feel like the rear take a little more finesse in tuning it just right.
      03-19-2018, 09:08 PM   #5515
Samo6556
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
Quote:

looking really sharp!

one of the ideas i have fantasized about (i don't know if it is ideal, and i haven't seen it done yet), is having the rear canisters routed and perched just behind the center console.
i'm thinking this would be neat because it would allow you to experiment with different turns of the dial "on the fly", or during cool down laps.
i don't have any real experience with this yet, but i feel like the rear take a little more finesse in tuning it just right.
Thanks!

Haha would need some pretty long lines to do that. I did opt for the rear quick disconnects to be a little more creative with the canister mounting. If I get crazy enough I may drill a hole through the inner wheel house and possible mount the canisters under the rear package tray.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 12:13 PM   #5516
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Thanks!

Haha would need some pretty long lines to do that. I did opt for the rear quick disconnects to be a little more creative with the canister mounting. If I get crazy enough I may drill a hole through the inner wheel house and possible mount the canisters under the rear package tray.
The car is looking good Sam!
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 1
Samo6556130.50
      03-20-2018, 01:23 PM   #5517
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep

Anyone heard of MOV'IT brakes before?

MOV'IT DE Website

MOV'IT USA Distributor
      03-20-2018, 03:51 PM   #5518
macdude357
Captain
Rep
Drives: IB E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpewpew View Post
Guys, what's the deal with Hankook R-S4 in 275/35/18? I see it listed on Hankook site as a size, but nowhere online seems to have it!! Discountinued? I've been pondering on moving to square setup, but lack of this tire is killing me. May stick with staggered 265/285 instead
FYI, TireRack has the 275's in stock now but they are listed as a "Special/Closeout".
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 07:59 PM   #5519
Jive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post
Anyone heard of MOV'IT brakes before?

MOV'IT DE Website

MOV'IT USA Distributor
Interesting rotor design. I don’t understand why the non-connecting veins even exist?
      03-20-2018, 09:07 PM   #5520
kyippee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Supra MK5, F44 235GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdude357 View Post
FYI, TireRack has the 275's in stock now but they are listed as a "Special/Closeout".
Of course. Just after I break down and order RE71R. At least I got the $200 off DTD eBay discount
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 09:11 PM   #5521
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I see that Direzza ZIII are finally released.
I wonder how they compare
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 09:39 PM   #5522
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
I see that Direzza ZIII are finally released.
I wonder how they compare
New tire option, nice! Will check them out.